• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messiah

I've always had Crypt of the Necrodancer on my wishlist/radar, so the free weekend is going to be great!

I'm presuming the Danny B OST was removed and switched to DLC?

For someone who's horrible at music games, but loves roguelikes, would you recommend it?

EDIT: Translation: Will I get frustrated and not be able to progress throughout the game at a certain point?
There is a character who turns the game into a roguelike without any rhythm component at all. So you should be fine.

The soundtrack was always DLC and is well worth it!

Edit: For new page: Everyone buy Necrodancer!

Tizoc

Wasn't El Shaddai supposed to be crap? Pretty crap mind.

It's wasn't that bad IMO....
I was fine with its simplistic and basic gameplay, and even though it was more style over substance, that is SOME style, if it is getting ported chances are it'll look superb on PC, there are a bunch of areas in the game that were very dynamic and colorful.
Dat Armaros fight in 4K heh.

L.O.R.D

Obviously that's about El Shaddai

Hey, guys, El Shaddai is coming to Steam.

El Bloody Shaddai!

or ... it could be this

Nioh.jpg

fertygo

Not really. The game isn't really about stats anyway.

I didn't think so. I felt that they all had their uses, with strength being very useful.

that review state one stat speed/quickness will give you extra turn and that gonna cheese your game the hell out especially the game only judge how fast you complete the stage not the method, I really can see how that being an problem in grid turnbased game like this.

I guess I better try it myself

Turfster

Humble Made in Singapore bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Cubetractor
  • Rocketbird
  • Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Phantoms Starter Pack (uplay)
TIER 2: 6$
  • Devil's Dare
  • Dusty Revenge
  • Ravenmark Scourge of Estellion
  • Tom Clancy Ghost recon Phantoms Rainbow Six Complete Pack
TIER 3: 12$
  • Holy Potatoes! A weapon shop?!

Kifimbo

Not sure they will sell a lot of these. The 1$ tier is pretty bad considering both Steam games were bundled several times already.

rtcn63

RE5. Sheva's AI
becomes much more difficult to manage chapter 5 and beyond. Especially during boss fights, requiring you come to up with strategies that keep her from being killed.

And the rifle is the only weapon she seems proficient with. She doesn't aim for headshots with the machine gun, which means she's just burning ammo for the sake of it.

It's wasn't that bad IMO....
I was fine with its simplistic and basic gameplay, and even though it was more style over substance, that is SOME style, if it is getting ported chances are it'll look superb on PC, there are a bunch of areas in the game that were very dynamic and colorful.
Dat Armaros fight in 4K heh.

I'll say that it's worth checking out because it's extremely unique.

But it's not a good game

Vlad

I've always had Crypt of the Necrodancer on my wishlist/radar, so the free weekend is going to be great!

For someone who's horrible at music games, but loves roguelikes, would you recommend it?

EDIT: Translation: Will I get frustrated and not be able to progress throughout the game at a certain point?

As a music game, CotN is pretty easy. Each level has the same song, and the song never changes beats or anything. If you can tap you finger to the beat of any song on the radio without screwing it up, you'll be fine when it comes to the rhythm aspect of the game. Additionally, there isn't much punishment for missing beats. While you can only move/attack/dig/whatever on the beats, the only benefit to not missing any beats is keeping your coin multiplier up. If anything, I'd call that one of the game's weaker points. There's a music element, but there's not enough incentive to do well at it.

The rest of the game can be pretty tough, though. The game definitely punishes you for rushing into battle, as you don't have that much health and you can get screwed if you get yourself surrounded. I also wasn't a fan of how some of the roguelike elements don't seem to be balanced all that well. You regularly come across shrines while playing that offer you some benefit in exchange for a penalty of some sort. In most cases, though, the penalty far, far outweighs the benefit, so I usually just ignore them.

Still a great game, though. One of the best soundtracks in recent years (Danny Baranowsky strikes again!), and the concept is unique enough to overcome any shortcomings.

Tizoc

^It's not exactly a series, it's just one game.

Have every POP game on Steam.
Have most of Bullfrog games on GOG, not interested in the rest of them.
Crap dailies.

Well I think they're great for anyone who hasn't gotten them yet, I was even tempted to make threads about those GOG dailies.

I'll say that it's worth checking out because it's extremely unique.

But it's not a good "game"

Why are you using quotation marks like that?
It's as much a game as is Hatoful Boyfriend is a game, as is every recent Telltalte games' release is a game, and as is Steins;gate or Higurashi is a game.

That's like me saying Tomb Raider 2013 is a decent "game".

Really now....

• Cubetractor
  • Rocketbird
  • Devil's Dare
  • Dusty Revenge
I can tell you right now that IMO Devil's Dare isn't worth it.

Not too far into Dusty Revenge, but currently I ain't feeling it very much.

No opinion on the rest.

Why are you using quotation marks like that?
It's as much a game as is Hatoful Boyfriend is a game, as is every recent Telltalte games' release is a game, and as is Steins;gate or Higurashi is a game.

That's like me saying Tomb Raider 2013 is a decent "game".

Really now....

I shouldn't have used quotation marks, I just wanted to emphasize the word, my bad.

Let me rephrase: It's worth playing, but not for the gameplay/combat.

Tizoc

I shouldn't have used quotation marks, I just wanted to emphasize the word, my bad.

Let me rephrase: It's worth playing, but not for the gameplay/combat.

Fair enough :3
There are actually games I'd categorize as such but their names escape me atm @_@

Knurek

Well I think they're great for anyone who hasn't gotten them yet, I was even tempted to make threads about those GOG dailies.

Oh, absolutely, Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper and Syndicate are pretty much some of the best titles GOG has on offer.

Haven't even played Invisible, Inc. yet, because they hadn't added controller support last I'd checked.

Bloodborne, Vanquish, Bayonetta, Metal Wolf Chaos.

take your pick :p

I don't think they've put out a bad game, so it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Well, Vanquish and Bayonetta are probably the easiest of the 3 viable answers you provided...

As for Klei, my dislike of them as a company and their hypocritical business practices, I'd have to disagree. Shank was mediocre, at best, so that makes your statement a bit suspect to begin with. :p

I'm pretty sure there's only one game called El Shaddai

it's not very good though

I'd agree with this.

Agree with almost all. Gwyn was easier than imagined from an end boss but to me it fit very well. The serene music, the gorgeous Kiln, even that the black knights came one after another, visible in an open path, all this made it clear that this end boss is more of a gentle and soothing sendoff for the player, rather than a last show of skill.
What a great, great game.

You don't get to talk about difficulty, Mr. "SEVERLY OVERLEVELED FOR NG".

Yes. Even if you don't get the 'rhythm' part working for you, it just makes the game a bit harder with the default character (you lose your bonus multiplier for money which lets you buy less equipment, obviously).

Buy it. It's awesome.

• Cubetractor
  • Rocketbird
  • Devil's Dare
  • Dusty Revenge

I'd have done $1 for Potatoes. Maybe BTA. But $12? Eff off.

Only interested in Holy Potatoes. Sooooooo Hard Pass.

Exactly.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You know that sounds like someone I read about in the 'Untold History of Japanese game developers' did he by any chance make a game that was intended for blind/color blind people? It was a game made of only audio.

You've heard of him, one the same. The game was Real Sound: Kaze no Regret, was made as an audio-only game, and yes, Kenji Eno was in charge of the project. The project came about after Enemy Zero, which was really popular in Japan (sold surprisingly well there), as it's a game with the audio cues it has you can play almost entirely through its audio.

To quote Wikipedia's entry on why the game was made:

WARP's president, Kenji Eno, created the game after receiving numerous appreciation letters from blind fans of his games in Japan. Eno visited a number of his visually disabled fans to learn how it is that blind people could play the visually rich action game genre.

In a 2008 interview with 1Up, Eno stated:

"I had a chance to visit people who are visually disabled, and I learned that there are blind people who play action games. Of course, [blind people are] not able to have the full experience, and they're kind of trying to force themselves to be able to play, but they're making the effort. So I thought that if you turn off the monitor, both of you are just hearing the game. So after you finish the game, you can have an equal conversation about it with a blind person. That's an inspiration behind [Real Sound: Kaze no Regret] as well."

So excited was Eno about the project that he used his clout as a first-class game designer to bargain with Sega such that in exchange for the exclusive rights to the game, Sega would donate a thousand Sega Saturns to blind people. Eno, in turn subsequently donated a thousand copies of Real Sound along with the game consoles. In explaining why the game has only been re-released once despite apparent interest in the title, Eno has stated that: "It's been several years now, and of course the contract probably isn't valid anymore, but the reason that I haven't done anything with this game is that I made this promise with Sega back in the day, and it's exclusive because of those conditions."

The game features a number of secondary characters that employ the vocal talents of such people as Miho Kanno and Ai Maeda, and music that was composed and performed by Keiichi Suzuki, with Akiko Yano composing the ending theme.

yuraya

Konami is making it real hard for anyone to successfully invade an FOB. Some poor guy just invaded me and I for the first time in a while saw how supped up my FOB defenses were. Jeez my guys cornered him up against some vents under a bridge and bombarded him with missles lol. I didn't even have to do anything just witness this guy get devoured. He couldn't even make it past 2nd platform. Feel bad for him all he probably wanted was some resources :(

Tizoc

You've heard of him, one the same. The game was Real Sound: Kaze no Regret, was made as an audio-only game, and yes, Kenji Eno was in charge of the project.

To quote Wikipedia's entry on why the game was made:

Awesome, I was quite interested in him after reading him in the book, will read through the articles when I have time or during work tomorrow :p

You don't get to talk about difficulty, Mr. "SEVERLY OVERLEVELED FOR NG".

Eh.

I don't think I was over leveled and thought Gwyn was pretty easily. Granted Solaire did most of the tanking while I launched some magic. I think it was over in about 20 seconds.

Cheesed or not, compared to some other bosses he was a cakewalk.

Ludens

Banned
Konami is making it real hard for anyone to successfully invade an FOB. Some poor guy just invaded me and I for the first time in a while saw how supped up my FOB defenses were. Jeez my guys cornered him up against some vents under a bridge and bombarded him with missles lol. I didn't even have to do anything just witness this guy get devoured. He couldn't even make it past 2nd platform. Feel bad for him all he probably wanted was some resources :(

I can confirm it. I think I'm pretty good on Fob, I stole with no problem 80+ nukes, only invading high level Fobs, doing a lot of espionage points on every match, going undetected a lot of times to the core.
With the last patch I still didn't manage to steal some nukes and successfully invade a Fob.
It seems to me that even AI was touched, they are less dumb than usual, they follow you now if you try to hide instead of doing 4 meters and stay here. With new reflex mode it's way too easy to be spotted, Also I already found cheaters (maybe) with new items released two days ago in the patch (that's impossible because they need 12 days to be developed, or maybe they just used MB coins), and they make the game even harder.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Awesome, I was quite interested in him after reading him in the book, will read through the articles when I have time or during work tomorrow :p

He was an interesting developer, as I said his thoughts and interviews are quite interesting, and he was definitely a creative mind. It's part of the reason his early death was very sad to fans of his games like myself, there's really nothing else out there like the games he made and he had quite a character and did a few interesting hijinks in his day. Though the last project he was working on is still being made by his team.

Grief.exe

Eh.

I don't think I was over leveled and thought Gwyn was pretty easily. Granted Solaire did most of the tanking while I launched some magic. I think it was over in about 20 seconds.

From a lore perspective he should be easy. He's sacrificed his entire soul and energy to preserve the flame and is just a husk of his current self.

You have absorbed the souls of all of the great entities of the world and are at the peak of your power.

zkylon

zkylewd
el shaddai was also full of potentially awesome stuff

it's just that it just stood there looking pretty and saying nonsense and being generally nonsense and i don't even know what it was supposed to be

such a weird game

Eh.

You brought Solaire? Wuss.
The true Dark Soul battles Gwyn 1 on 1. ;)

When I took him on, he wasn't anywhere near the most difficult boss of the game, but that's not to say he was devoid of challenge. I had to shake off my rust when it came to parrying and make sure I didn't miss the timing by being a second late. If he hit me, it was either instant death or made it so if I didn't use an estus flask, it would be on the next hit. I also believe that he was doing chip damage, as I was using a 95% fire reduction shield... so even if I blocked early, I couldn't just turtle. He was aggressive enough that he didn't really give me any easy openings for using estus. Veggie was watching through Steam broadcasting when I was playing, he can vouch for the epicness of the fight. :p

Yes. If you bring summons with you, you should wreck him. But this is true of most bosses in the series.

True skill knows no such thing as too many levels ;)

Haha, okay, sure. ;)

From a lore perspective he should be easy. He's sacrificed his entire soul and energy to preserve the flame and is just a husk of his current self.

You have absorbed the souls of all of the great entities of the world and are at the peak of your power.

Oh. Well.

That makes sense then.

One more week and Assassins Creed Syndicate will be here :D I wonder when we will get pre-load.

I wonder what nightmare inducing bugs will be found.

Ludens

Banned
Gwyn is not "easy" on any level. Is not that hard, expecially compared to other bosses from DS1, but easy? No. They key is just counter-attack him using your shield. But he attacks very fast without pretty much stopping. If you mastered the counter-attack, the fight is a joke, having a buddy helps a lot here, but on solo is totally doable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom