• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is it even possible to make a few bucks on cards anymore? Without sharing taxpyer info with Valve anyways.

Depends on the game/timing. There's some games I've gotten $1-4 from their cards alone, while for most I get something like $0.10-$0.40 for their cards. Some can be less, and there's a middle ground as well.

---

Unintentionally claimed the top of page 200 (regular GAF post number view). TIME TO CELEBRATE!!

200-celebration.png
200_1100419.jpg
200-years.jpg
GOjSd7W.gif
1306752_200x130.png
tumblr_n0twm1sOgA1req6pbo3_500.gif

Steam GAF generally loves Invisible Inc, Don't Starve and Mark of the Ninja, buy them all.

Klei didn't add console achievements to Don't Starve though, so there's that. Personally, I will value years of free content updates, but the determination is ultimately subjective....Actually not really, as the updates are actually tangible while achievements are unequivocally useless.

Regardless of whether you like it or not, it's still subjective. Because you say "oh this thing is unequivocally uesless" doesn't make it so. People, like me, get enjoyment out of working towards the goals set by achievements (even if they are poorly designed goals or just checkpoints awarded as the game progresses). If achievements appeal to you, they can add to the replay value when designed right, or keep people interested in continuing to play multiplayer on a regular basis.

Love 'em, hate 'em, or don't care for them, your first thought was right. For a split second, I found myself wondering what happened to you... but then the "classic" grief showed up. All is right in the world.

A game that is very rarely spoken about but should make its way to PC if anything simply cause of preservation:

MALICIOUS_Cover_Art.jpg

A solid game continually hampered by abysmal framerates. I gave them money twice over for that game (PS3/PSV) and they still couldn't manage to keep a stable 30fps (even if a 60fps would be better since the game borders on character action)... maybe if it ever came to PC, it would be able to do it... but I somehow doubt it at this point.

I would like to see it come and try though.

Won't somebody think of the children? people who use achievements to validate themselves?

Nice broad generalization there. Quality post. A++.

wat

you are disappointing on levels i did not know existed. lord pls.

Ha. You're just now figuring this out. (But I agree with you 100%.)

I didn't parry in either Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2.

Figured it was best to just try and not get hit.

I'd be curious to see how you took to Bloodborne with its "no block, interrupt for critical" gameplay.

Kaleinc

Banned
Well after learning how to parry in Anor Londo I tried it against every boss and always failed. I was able to do it with each black knight that lead the way to Gwyn, so I went for it.
The point is no other boss could be parried even smaller ones like Kapra, Ornstein or Artorias. If something doesn't work during the whole game why would it for the final boss? The last time I attempted scoring a cool riposte vs boss was probably Ornstein and then just discarded the idea it can be done at all.

The point is no other boss could be parried even smaller ones like Kapra, Ornstein or Artorias. If something doesn't work during the whole game why would it for the final boss? The last time I attempted scoring a cool riposte vs boss was probably Ornstein and then just discarded the idea it can be done at all.

Just cause it works on one boss doesn't mean it will work on all of them. And vice versa.

Bloodborne's mechanic allows you to interrupt/visceral any "human" type enemy, including bosses. It also allows you to get in a visceral attack on bosses if you manage to damage them enough and cause stun, but the window is pretty small.

These are things I hope FROM brings into Dark Souls 3.

Also, what was the deal with Solair? I didn't pay too much attention to his side of the story, but I think I killed him near a Titan Demon next to Bed of Chaos.

He looses his drive in life, gets a weird glowing bug on his head and goes hollow and mad. You can help him avoid it so you can summon him for the final fight but it's not very straight forward.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it even possible to make a few bucks on cards anymore? Without sharing taxpyer info with Valve anyways.

You only need to provide your tax info if you're a US resident for tax purposes, otherwise you just "sign" a digital form declaring that you're not such a person and the restriction is automatically lifted... unless Valve has a record of you purchasing from the US store, in which case you also have to jump through some proof of residency hoops.

Trying to be careful what I sell anyway since I don't want to give my tax info.

I think I can sell about 40 more things until the end of the year.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Valve can have all my tax information. I did it previously, but you need to give it to them in full to become a Steam developer for maybe obvious reasons.

Not really Steam related, but I figure you guys would know best. Is Watch Dogs worth $7?

Depends.

Trying to be careful what I sell anyway since I don't want to give my tax info.

I think I can sell about 40 more things until the end of the year.

What's the big deal with giving Valve your tax info? Unless you make hundreds of dollars off sales, they don't actually report anything to the IRS. I'm not sure what the amount is these days, but when I was a freelance contractor for a company in the late 2000s, it was only after you were paid more than $600 that they were forced to (and complied) with reporting your earnings to the IRS as taxable income.

Grief.exe

Regardless of whether you like it or not, it's still subjective. Because you say "oh this thing is unequivocally uesless" doesn't make it so. People, like me, get enjoyment out of working towards the goals set by achievements (even if they are poorly designed goals or just checkpoints awarded as the game progresses). If achievements appeal to you, they can add to the replay value when designed right, or keep people interested in continuing to play multiplayer on a regular basis.

Love 'em, hate 'em, or don't care for them, your first thought was right. For a split second, I found myself wondering what happened to you... but then the "classic" grief showed up. All is right in the world.

The first part are my actual thoughts, the second section exists solely to trigger you.

What's the big deal with giving Valve your tax info? Unless you make hundreds of dollars off sales, they don't actually report anything to the IRS. I'm not sure what the amount is these days, but when I was a freelance contractor for a company in the late 2000s, it was only after you were paid more than $600 that they were forced to (and complied) with reporting your earnings to the IRS as taxable income.
I just don't want to to be honest. It's more of a laziness thing on my part.

The first part are my actual thoughts, the second section exists solely to trigger you.

I'm flattered, really.

I just don't want to to be honest. It's more of a laziness thing on my part.

Fair enough. I was just curious. I know some don't like giving that stuff out for various reasons, but with Valve, it should be mostly harmless and just a formality for most accounts.

With the bottom dropping out of the card market (probably due to increased awareness and use of idlemaster and the ability to craft boosters), I think most people selling cards shouldn't really eclipse the threshold for actually having Valve report their earnings. I think you'd need to traffic in CS:GO skins to really get that sort of bank from the Steam marketplace.

dex3108

This Cooler Master Storm Trooper PC case is awesome but man that 20cm fan on top of that case is driving me insane. It is constantly buzzing. I will need to replace him with 2X 12cm fans. Any recommendation for Case fans?

Working only on Gwyn doesn't make any sense.

While it should probably work on some of Ornstein's or Smough's attacks... or Artorias's too, for that matter, they're arguably the only humanoid bosses the same size as Gwyn.

The Capra Demons, at least those near Ceaseless Discharge, can be parried. They just cannot be riposted. I'm not sure if the actual boss in the early game has the same properties.

As to the reasoning those 3 humanoid bosses cannot be parried, I honestly don't know.

But it always pays to try new things against bosses to ascertain their weaknesses. Different game, but Final Fantasy 6 has bosses which can be killed with a single item, bosses which can be eliminated with the vanish/doom combo, and bosses which require the use of a single spell (reflect) in order to survive. Again, just cause it worked on one boss (or didn't work) doesn't mean you shouldn't try it on another. ;)

Does Idlemaster add time towards your total time played counter on your profile?

Running idlemaster is the same (essentially) as playing the game itself. Steam thinks you are running the game in question, so all playtime counters are running during this time.

As a music game, CotN is pretty easy. Each level has the same song, and the song never changes beats or anything. If you can tap you finger to the beat of any song on the radio without screwing it up, you'll be fine when it comes to the rhythm aspect of the game. Additionally, there isn't much punishment for missing beats. While you can only move/attack/dig/whatever on the beats, the only benefit to not missing any beats is keeping your coin multiplier up. If anything, I'd call that one of the game's weaker points. There's a music element, but there's not enough incentive to do well at it.
To be fair, being unable to move/attack if you miss a beat will get you killed in many situations. Keeping the coin multiplier is important if you want to be able to make use of the shops. Additionally, there is a character that instantly dies if they miss a beat (well, more than one character actually).

I would say the idea of the game is easy, but in practice it's a lot harder than it looks. I have most of the characters done in All Zones runs and I'd say it was pretty damn hard.

zkylon

zkylewd
they've done it

i got dinner with friends and all i can think of is when i get home to play some more fallout 4

i don't even like it much

fuck you bethesda

Caerith

Although I've known they existed, today's the first time I've seen the balloons and stuff. How many people are getting the 11-year badge this month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom