• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

I'd say go for it if you're looking for a new card. Normal price is $350
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487088

Doesn't look like it's going anywhere near there normally anytime soon

Yeah, it's a really good price. I really wanted a 970 last fall but now I'm just not sure if we're close enough to the next generation of cards that it would be better to just wait. Money is fairly tight for me right now so when I buy a video card I want it to be both a good deal and have good longevity (my 5770 that I bought for $160 nearly six years ago still does a good job at anything that isn't the most recent stuff).

Guri

Hey everyone, a few friends did a stream for Extra Life (there's still time to donate if you want, just go to Roster and select one of them) and they gave away a few codes. Not all of them are redeemed, so this is your chance! The list includes Resurgency, Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY, Abyss Odyssey, Blackguards, Contagion, Spintires, Divinity: Dragon Commander, Citizens of Earth, Euro Truck Sim 2, Teslagrad and A Story About My Uncle. The codes are here. Feel free to use them or share! And let me know if you redeem them!

EDIT: All codes gone!

Wind Waker is one of my favorite games of all time.

I'm sorry but that game was a huuuuge disappointment for me. All the sailing. All the empty islands. The lack of dungeons... the stealth sections. It had some solid dungeons... but just when it was starting to get good "go do the fetch quest and end the game."

I'd say it's the worst 3D Zelda game I've played... though I haven't touched Skyward Sword and probably never will.

Yeah, it's a really good price. I really wanted a 970 last fall but now I'm just not sure if we're close enough to the next generation of cards that it would be better to just wait. Money is fairly tight for me right now so when I buy a video card I want it to be both a good deal and have good longevity (my 5770 that I bought for $160 nearly six years ago still does a good job at anything that isn't the most recent stuff).

I totally agree with you... however, I got sick of waiting for an affordable Nvidia card with 8gb+ of VRAM, so I settled for now since it was pretty cheap out of pocket and my old card had some resale left... hopefully now, I can just use this one until the next gen are out and affordable and pull the same moves to upgrade again for a reasonable price.

That's because all of the 3D Zelda games except OOT are bad.

Well, what are there, 5 of them?

OoT
MM
WW
TP
SS

I enjoyed most of Twilight Princess because I was interested in the Midna/Wolf aspects and it was definitely heavily inspired by Ocarina of Time. By far, the worst thing about TP for me was that you could see where a lot of the game had been retooled because of the Wii and it's control scheme.
Majora's Mask is definitely something outside of the normal stream of the Zelda formula. I had a great time with it, though some of the stuff that's required for 100% is rather difficult to find on one's own... so it's better if you don't mind using a guide for some of the more difficult to find masks.
Windwaker felt rushed and empty. The last two dungeons before the fetch quest and final area were amazing and I was so hyped up that when I got pushed into the disappointing end game, it just ruined whatever I enjoyed of the game up until that point.

Skyward Sword required a Wii with motion controls... so yeah, skipped.

Hey everyone, a few friends did a stream for Extra Life (there's still time to donate if you want, just go to Roster and select one of them) and they gave away a few codes. Not all of them are redeemed, so this is your chance! The list includes Resurgency, Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY, Abyss Odyssey, Blackguards, Contagion, Spintires, Divinity: Dragon Commander, Citizens of Earth, Euro Truck Sim 2, Teslagrad and A Story About My Uncle. The codes are here. Feel free to use them or share! And let me know if you redeem them!

Nice thought.
I tried to grab Citizens of Earth cause it was the only one I was missing from that humble and was pretty quick about it... but it was already taken.
Still, thanks for being generous.

Lomax

The amount of attention the new RCT is getting is baffling, considering everyone knows what a flaming trash heap the current Atari is.

Does anyone think it won't be a complete disaster?

It's easy to forget how massively successful and loved Rollercoaster Tycoon was. It was basically the best selling game not called Sims for many years. So while it may end up being a disaster, the brand still has a lot of pull.

I totally agree with you... however, I got sick of waiting for an affordable Nvidia card with 8gb+ of VRAM, so I settled for now since it was pretty cheap out of pocket and my old card had some resale left... hopefully now, I can just use this one until the next gen are out and affordable and pull the same moves to upgrade again for a reasonable price.

Yeah, this might be low enough of a price to get me to bite. I know I'll still be a 1080p gamer for the foreseeable future so it should last me for a while.

Jawmuncher

Not enough redheads in bed

3a2465a16a838f0b_Redhead-in-Bed.jpg

Guri

Nice thought.
I tried to grab Citizens of Earth cause it was the only one I was missing from that humble and was pretty quick about it... but it was already taken.
Still, thanks for being generous.

No worries! We are not sure how many were redeemed since the weekend because nobody confirmed if they redeemed. I hope every code is taken!

Thanks! I think most everything is redeemed already, but I was able to grab a Kill Strain code.

dot

I got Teslagrad, thanks! :)

Guri

Thanks! I think most everything is redeemed already, but I was able to grab a Kill Strain code.

Could you let me know which one and which you tried and didn't work? Just so the list can be updated. Like I said, no one told us they redeemed on the weekend and we can't test it, otherwise we'll redeem them, haha.

Could you let me know which one and which you tried and didn't work? Just so the list can be updated. Like I said, no one told us they redeemed on the weekend and we can't test it, otherwise we'll redeem them, haha.

Sure thing. I took L53J-3PNM-GJEH. I tried BRNM-MLNE-5KFF but it was taken and the page hadn't been updated yet to indicate so. I tried for Spintires but it was redeemed as well.

Kifimbo

Looks like the Monthly Humble Bundle sold around 30,000 copies, according to the Steamspy pages for Lethal League and Towerfall.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
RCTW - Blog #23 - RollerCoaster Tycoon World Releasing in Early 2016

Our first Beta Weekend is now over and we want to sincerely thank you for ALL the feedback you’ve provided. A preview like this is an opportunity to showcase one main feature, in this case the coaster builder, and gather feedback. It is a way to test game elements and get some portions of the game in your hands, but this also means that the game you preview is neither complete nor final and should not be treated as such. Going forward, we will make sure to label what is and is not final during our previews in order to properly set expectations.

Additionally, what we showed during our Beta was a small portion of the content available in the finished game. Many core features were deliberately not included, giving us extra time to continue tweaking and polishing them. There is much, much more to RCTW – peeps, rides, simulation, campaign, economy, UGC, – than what you got to play in our first Beta. It’s heartening that even with this small slice of the RCTW experience, you were able to give us such tremendous and useful feedback.

As we had hoped, you’ve filled our forums with your thoughts, told us what you wanted this game to be and of course, filed a number of bugs. It shows your dedication and passion to the franchise, and your desire to have an impact on the development of the game and see your feedback implemented. It also got us thinking about all the other ways we could push the franchise forward with some additional time.

Many of you loved the game, some found certain aspects frustrating, and you all had tons of thoughtful suggestions for improvements. Based on your feedback and our own internal processes, here is a short list of features that will significantly improve the final product: easier “predefined piece” coaster building, additional coaster test feedback, a robust fencing tool, improved on-demand grid, and various smaller improvements.

To accommodate these improvements, and ensure that RollerCoaster Tycoon World will be the best, most innovative RCT experience to date, we will launch the game in early 2016. The new launch date will be communicated after the second preview.

Our highest priority has always been to release a game that we’re proud of, one that lives up to the lofty standards set by the previous titles. With this new timing we will be able to do just that – deliver a robust tycoon experience along with additional layers of polishing and tweaks that the extra time affords us.

So now, here is more detail on what improvements and additional features will be implemented within our adjusted timeline:

• Additional Coaster Builder Functionality, using predefined lines and curves: As you know, the game offers a 3D spline-based coaster editor, giving you full flexibility to create never-before-possible track designs. As seen by the entries to our Alienware contest many of you were able to create some truly breathtaking rides. At the same time, it’s clear from our review of the Beta that some of you also desire the ability to build tracks with predefined lines and curves. Thus, we are adding that functionality to the coaster system to give you both options. It’s truly the best of both worlds.
  • Improved Coaster Test Mode Feedback: A pillar of the franchise is the ability to test coasters and then adjust them to provide a more exciting, safer, or in some cases even more nauseating experience. Our Beta test revealed that not everyone had the information they needed to effectively accomplish this. We have now designed an incredible system to provide detailed superimposed heatmaps right onto your coasters following tests. Also – we know that coasters fly off the tracks too often. An update is in the works!
  • Fence Tool: People are very passionate about their fences. So are we. Our fencing tool will be improved, allowing you to place fences more quickly, and align them exactly how you want.
  • On-Demand Grid: A number of you used the on-demand grid provided in the Beta but found it still too limiting. We have a number of designs for how we can make our grid system bigger and better.

We’ve learned a lot from the Beta and obviously have a number of bugs, memory leaks, polish items, and optimizations we want to do to make the game run smooth as butter.

There are also a number of other suggestions we’ve received from you that we are looking at implementing as well (such as improving path placement). That said our list above addresses the key items.

Speaking of tests; the change in timeline means that our next public play test will be moved as well. We are now targeting a second preview weekend for December. Our focus remains on the coaster builder with the additional tweaks and functionalities described above, along with a few other features. We want to ensure we get this right and we need your feedback.

Until our next test, the work continues, and we will keep you all updated with additional Twitch streams, production blogs and more in the coming weeks. We want to share renderings of some of these improvements as soon as we have them so that we can get feedback early. Please remember to continue participating on our forums and streams! Your voice is being heard and we are adapting to it!

Long before we started working on RollerCoaster Tycoon World, we knew it would be a massive undertaking. Not only did we want to remove the grid and overhaul the coaster builder, we also needed to create next-generation graphics, bring the entire franchise into the future, and create a title worthy of the RollerCoaster Tycoon legacy. We now have a clear path ahead of us, and with your instrumental feedback, we will be able to make RCTW the great game it is destined to be.

Sincerely,
Atari and Nvizzio
Team RCTW

RCTW-Jungle-Park.png

yuraya

Looks like the Monthly Humble Bundle sold around 30,000 copies, according to the Steamspy pages for Lethal League and Towerfall.

That is actually not that bad for a blind buy bundle @ 12$. If they can get some bigger names and lower price by a few dollars they could have themselves real good results. Hopefully it doesn't have an effect on the regular every other tuesday bundle tho.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
DayZ Status Report - 12 Nov 2015

BA798783A093FC2A5C9A3C897547E147035AB718

Afternoon Survivors,

In this week's Status Report, we'll have info on subjects such as the renderer, the UI, damage, and animation systems, all served by our Lead Producer Brian Hicks, Lead Designer Peter Nespesny, and Lead Animator Viktor Kostik.

Contents This Week
  • Development Board Spotlight
  • Dev Update/Hicks
  • Dev Update/Peter
  • Dev Update/Viktor
  • Community Video: Max Coil and the Gents of Novo

Development Board Spotlight
M249Para.jpg

Dev Update/Hicks
Greetings Survivors!

If you don't happen to follow twitter or the forums you may not be aware of the current focus on iterating upon 0.59 experimental. Obviously the team is working hard to resolve the issues with server side performance, as well as pushing several new potential changes to vehicle position sync to QA.

So the big question everyone wants to know - when will 0.59 move to stable?
  • Once we are satisfied with server side performance at maximum player count vs 12 hour uptime
  • Vehicle Position Sync is at a marked improvement over 0.58
  • High repro (reproducible) server and client crashes are resolved

Past 0.59 - internally we are -hoping- to be able to get another update out prior to Christmas (to experimental at the very least). However, that will depend on the stability of the build post 0.59 stable and the merges done right after that. As mentioned during the PAX Australia "The Road to Beta" presentation - we'll keep everyone updated on this progress via the official Twitter account, and the Status Reports between then and now.

-KEEP IN MIND: THE UPDATE OF 0.59 TO STABLE WILL INCLUDE A FULL HIVE AND SERVER STORAGE RESET. THIS INCLUDES PRIVATE SHARDS OF THE HIVE-

Moving past discussion around 0.59 experimental, lets move on to discussing what the current status of some of the major engine side updates are.

Renderer

Completed within October
  • Multiple Cascade Shadow Maps
  • Updated Rain Postprocess
  • Updated HDR & Glow

Current Focus
  • Finalizing postprocesses
  • Multithread Optimizations

Next Up
  • Small bodies of water, and Ocean rendering
  • True Sky rendering

We have some screenshots from debug that we can discuss in a little more detail as well. (Please take care to understand these are from debug machines - and are thus running lower resolutions/over all configurations and are meant to display technical tests)

EZZaZmZ.jpg

In the above screenshot we can see improved cooperation between the HDR and Glow Effects.

VYLKd0F.jpg
o0aWWj7.jpg

Within the above screenshots we can see fog improved with proper height base.

w90L8Rc.jpg

In this screenshot in the distance we can see Aerial Perspective Fog, with the additional effect of light scattering

kRt8P9A.jpg

Here we see an early iteration of improved dynamic range hopefully allowing us differing light levels between interiors and exteriors.

A1i45wr.jpg
X3hKTqv.jpg

The above screenshots show the current iteration of updates done to rain - which should allow a more rich, and believable downpour situation. Paired potentially with fog, this will greatly impact visibility during adverse weather conditions.

Animation System / Player Controller
The animation system and new player controller both are major elements of DayZ's engine that are in progress. The new actions done in Enforce Script can not enter experimental testing until the animation system fully supports all the necessary functions from the legacy animation system. I know I've gone on, and on about the total rewrite of actions in game being a massive change to how DayZ plays - and I hate to sound like a broken record. HOWEVER - I personally cannot state this enough. The change from the clunky old fashioned method used by DayZ, DayZ Mod, Arma 3, Arma 2, and so on to a new and more dynamic system will change a hell of a lot more than how you eat a bag of rice, or pick apples. I genuinely believe this will be one of the most massive changes to DayZ gameplay and completely redefine how the title is experienced.

That said - while we're all desperate to see this in the hands of consumers before the holiday break - A more reliable estimate (playing it safe and assuming we'll encounter critical bugs and blockers once this is merged into the main testing branch) would be to expect it early in the beginning of the new year.

For the full Status Report, please use the following link: http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-12-nov-2015

Ozium

That's because all of the 3D Zelda games except OOT are bad.

except OOT is overrated shit and nothing compared to Majora's Mask and Wind Waker (which does have fetch quest problems but I liked sailing because I would just sit back and smoke weed like steve zissou)

also twiliight princess is better on gamecube, proper handed Link, not mirrored so it's true to the artists vision and cool black and white twilight realm instead of horrible bloom

rtcn63

More Sheva AI quirkiness
There's a specific enemy transformation that basically encases the mid and upper body of the majini in armor. It's weakpoint is its thigh, which when it hit enough, will cause the encasement to open like the mouth of a graboid for you to shoot.

Sheva will not aim at the thigh. She will shoot the armor until her ammo runs out.

She's also terrible when it comes to battling Gatling majini, because of her inconsistent use of cover.

Lomax

lol Wow.

That's.......awful

Every bundle site not named Humble Bundle would kill to sell 30k copies of their bundles at $5 each, much less at $12 each. Honestly 30k is higher than I expected, I was thinking more like 15-20k at the most, maybe as low as 10k or less. Most of the weekly bundles sell in the 30-40k range over a whole week. I can't really see those numbers being considered bad.

Would it have sold more if it was just a main line bundle? Probably. But that doesn't necessarily mean as much profit to those companies, given that the per sale price isn't as reliable. Every participant in this presumably knew exactly how much they'd get per sale and got just that. I can see that having a lot of appeal to a publisher, especially given recent tales of woe we've heard from some bundle participants.

AHA-Lambda

Playing Fallout 4, gotta love that dissonance in conversation outcomes

"please give me this plot item"
"why?"
"I'm trying to find someone who has been kidnapped" (50% chance)
"no" (fail)

try again
"why?"
"come on just trust me" (10% chance)
"yeah ok sure thing you look nice" (pass)

wut.

Anyway, don't know what it is but unlike FO3 and NV it's not hooking me yet, getting little bored after few hour stretches, which just didn't happen before. Although I've heard people say the opening stuff is slow.

"why?"
"no" (fail)

try again
"why?"

wut.

Praise RNGesus

Caerith

"why?"
"no" (fail)

try again
"why?"

wut.

Anyway, don't know what it is but unlike FO3 and NV it's not hooking me yet, getting little bored after few hour stretches, which just didn't happen before. Although I've heard people say the opening stuff is slow.

Oh, they went back to save scum conversations? I really prefer the way it was handled in NV.

FO4 actually looks like it'll be the first Bethesda game I'll actually like, or at least the parts without any writing attached to them. I hope their next game plays to their strengths-- if so, I'll really be looking forward to Elder Scrolls VI: No Story This Time Just Minecraft.

Guri

All codes gone!

KingKong

Oh, they went back to save scum conversations? I really prefer the way it was handled in NV.

FO4 actually looks like it'll be the first Bethesda game I'll actually like, or at least the parts without any writing attached to them. I hope their next game plays to their strengths-- if so, I'll really be looking forward to Elder Scrolls VI: No Story This Time Just Minecraft.

if they wanted a game that played to their strenghts theyd make you a mute in a world without any more people and you'd just find notes to start quests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom