• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Quest is a too big franchise to fuck over with a shitty port, SE knows that. It's also their starting point to port other games to Steam. If the first impressions are bad, it'll be bad in the long run. They just won't let TK bring a bad port of Dragon Quest Heroes to Steam.

Pretty much everything on PC these days is a "bad port", even when it's not really a port... or bad. :lol

DQH will be no different. Even if it's serviceable, people will find something to bitch about and label it a bad port. Resolution lock. Framerate lock. Button prompts. Who knows... but I'm sure it'll be something.

Deitus

Yo, was somebody talking about Necrodancer?

zdsU7xU.png

Sorry, long post ahead.

Yeah, I didn't want to bring up the whole thing about that one character (didn't know there was more than one, actually. Haven't unlocked everybody yet).

The thing about the coins is that in a single-zone run, the shops are so cheap that you can afford pretty much everything by the first floor alone if you do well. I often end a single-zone run with hundreds of coins left over unless I go absolutely crazy in the shops. In an all-zones run, the shops are so expensive that you can't buy much that early anyway. I think what bugs me is that even when you're maxed out, you can only get the multiplier up to four, I believe. Even if I whiff a beat, it still gets back up to four really fast, so there's not really that much punishment for missing beats.

Not going to quote the whole chain of posts, but it isn't a rhythm/music game in the way that Rock Band or DDR are. You don't play to "perfect" a song (unless you play as a character that dies if they miss a beat), the music is designed to give a somewhat consistent beat, and if you are playing well you are going to miss the end of every song. And yes, it is very forgiving when it comes to being able to maintain a beat (I've definitely been off the beat by a noticeable amount and didn't drop the combo).

While I would argue that the penalty of missing beats is a bit more than you are making it out to be, the point isn't to be punishing when you miss a beat. The entire point of the rhythm element is to set the pace of the game. Unlike other Roguelikes, you have to always be moving, and can never stop to think even when there are no enemies around (though you can move back and forth to the beat if you need a moment). Even when you are surprised by a swarm of enemies, or a tough boss, you can't stop to take a beat (pun fully intended). And since each level is limited by the length of the song, how much you can explore, and how safe you can play it are limited.

And of course the way that enemies move to the beat as well is an important aspect of the game. Traditional Roguelikes would have enemies only move with you, producing a similar type of strategy, but the enemies in this game have unique patterns to their movement that makes all encounters like a dance.

Yeah, but what part of it did you consider hard? Was it just keeping on the beat, or was it dealing with all the enemies and their patterns? I hardly ever miss any beats, but I regularly take damage when dealing with a room full of monsters.

The difficulty of the rhythm component is not in being able to consistently keep the beat. The difficulty is that you have to be doing something at every single beat, which means you always have to be thinking about your next move (but not for too long of course). This splitting your focus to maintain the beat makes it more difficult to make split second decisions, and just adds to the general chaos of things as you repeatedly make tactical errors and try to salvage them.

If you don't believe the rhythm makes a difference, play as the Bard, and see how much easier the game is. Frankly, the game is way too easy when you play as the Bard, but it does allow you to get some practice learning to deal with more difficult levels with a little less pressure.

I know deitus enjoyed the game a lot and posted here about it. Haven't heard anything bad about it tbh.

I'm glad someone reads my posts. :D

But I wouldn't say there's nothing negative to say about the game. I think the chasm in difficulty between beating the game with the default character, and beating it with the character you need to beat it with to complete the story (dies in one hit or if you miss a single beat, can only use the starting weapon, and can't use most equipment) is way too much.

But it's definitely a great game, and the positives far outway the negatives assuming you are into Roguelikes, and have a basic ability to keep a rhythm.

Pretty much everything on PC these days is a "bad port", even when it's not really a port... or bad. :lol

DQH will be no different. Even if it's serviceable, people will find something to bitch about and label it a bad port. Resolution lock. Framerate lock. Button prompts. Who knows... but I'm sure it'll be something.

Well, yeah.
Even if there's one thing that is not well supported for PC, it'll become a bad port. PC is such a hard userbase to please.

zkylon

zkylewd
k, officially played like 3 hours or something of fo4, got to the part from the trailers with
the power armor and deathclaw
and whatnot

so far, everything past the tutorial has been pretty boring and tedious. i don't like oblivions so i knew i wasn't gonna like this game but i'm surprised how fast it happened. at least in fo3 it took a little while.

i just think the way the first areas are laid out is really bad. first you're driven to a 100% empty town with just garbage loot to pick up. then you walk into a gas station and you get like three upgrade benches with nothing for you to upgrade and you're like suddenly encouraged to start building a town or something. oh and a billion molerats spawned from the floor which was kind of hilarious. they didn't take much to kill but there was so many of them.

oh and dogmeat is there, and you get to order him around in a super clunky way that i'm never gonna use

then you have your first encounter with a human, which i just shot in the head and took their clothes because that's what you do in these games, and some dude in a silly outfit tells you in a bugged conversation about how
you gotta put on some power armor and save them. i forgot already why no one else but me could but alright, why not. i went out and turned a bunch of raiders into pink mist and then a deathclaw appears and i'm guessing it's because i'm playing on survival (since it said it had slow stimpaks like in new vegas hardcore mode), but i can't do shit damage to that thing and had to resort to hiding in a building cheesing the ai, dark souls style

when fighting a huge monster like this i can't help but miss the roll in witcha3. now that combat was fun

anyways, took me all the minigun bullets, all my shotgun shells, all my molotovs and grenades but the damn deathclaw is dead

then some more bad dialogue with not so great choices and after that i figured i had my fill

gonna play a bit more but they totally made another fallout 3, gunplay is a little bit better but ai is still garbage and if a deathclaw's running for you your only option is to run because this game doesn't have the mechanics to support actually interesting combat, and dialogue is still bad even tho i enjoy hearing my character talk.

as for the incredible world building, well, beth's environmental storytelling is as subtle as always

Lomax

k, officially played like 3 hours or something of fo4, got to the part from the trailers with
the power armor and deathclaw
and whatnot

so far, everything past the tutorial has been pretty boring and tedious. i don't like oblivions so i knew i wasn't gonna like this game but i'm surprised how fast it happened. at least in fo3 it took a little while.

i just think the way the first areas are laid out is really bad. first you're driven to a 100% empty town with just garbage loot to pick up. then you walk into a gas station and you get like three upgrade benches with nothing for you to upgrade and you're like suddenly encouraged to start building a town or something. oh and a billion molerats spawned from the floor which was kind of hilarious. they didn't take much to kill but there was so many of them.

oh and dogmeat is there, and you get to order him around in a super clunky way that i'm never gonna use

then you have your first encounter with a human, which i just shot in the head and took their clothes because that's what you do in these games, and some dude in a silly outfit tells you in a bugged conversation about how
you gotta put on some power armor and save them. i forgot already why no one else but me could but alright, why not. i went out and turned a bunch of raiders into pink mist and then a deathclaw appears and i'm guessing it's because i'm playing on survival (since it said it had slow stimpaks like in new vegas hardcore mode), but i can't do shit damage to that thing and had to resort to hiding in a building cheesing the ai, dark souls style

when fighting a huge monster like this i can't help but miss the roll in witcha3. now that combat was fun

anyways, took me all the minigun bullets, all my shotgun shells, all my molotovs and grenades but the damn deathclaw is dead

then some more bad dialogue with not so great choices and after that i figured i had my fill

gonna play a bit more but they totally made another fallout 3, gunplay is a little bit better but ai is still garbage and if a deathclaw's running for you your only option is to run because this game doesn't have the mechanics to support actually interesting combat, and dialogue is still bad even tho i enjoy hearing my character talk.

as for the incredible world building, well, beth's environmental storytelling is as subtle as always

I really don't understand why you bought and are playing a game you've said for weeks now you're going to hate.

Momentary

Banned

I PRAY for a K-T game to be an EXACT port of the PS4 version of the game without graphic options and all that jazz. They do make crap products on the PC. There's no defending them.

I'm a huge advocate of defending games that don't deserve that moniker. Especially bare bone games that don't offer much in terms of graphics options and all that other jazz that PC gamers love to label a port as horrible for not having, but run as good if not a little better from their console counterparts.

K-T games plenty of issues. I'll use my last purchase and return from them as an example. OPPW3 isn't locked to 60, it has controller issues, misrepresentation of itself on the product using different assets, missing character graphics in the game. It has a whole bunch of wonky shit that has not been addressed. All their games are just awful like this.

I really want to give them my money because they make fun games... Even though most of them are just reskins with some extra shit thrown in.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I really don't understand why you bought and are playing a game you've said for weeks now you're going to hate.

I think there's a part of some who dislike titles that hopes maybe, just maybe, in this new iteration, they'll address concerns players have had for 10-15 years and it'll be a wholly better product for it. Some will always see a series as a lost cause, but you won't really know for sure until you've tried. Especially in the case of a title that's otherwise very highly regarded.

zkylon

zkylewd
well it says fallout on the title so i'm not not gonna play it

i wasn't exactly expecting anything better than this but that doesn't mean i'm not curious

I think there's a part of some who dislike titles that hopes maybe, just maybe, in this new iteration, they'll address concerns players have had for 10-15 years and it'll be a wholly better product for it. Some will always see a series as a lost cause, but you won't really know for sure until you've tried. Especially in the case of a title that's otherwise very highly regarded.
not me

my eyes are on the end game: either new vegas 2 or a new vegas port in this pretty engine

i just play this out of morbid curiosity

Tizoc

Dragon Quest is a too big franchise to fuck over with a shitty port, SE knows that. It's also their starting point to port other games to Steam. If the first impressions are bad, it'll be bad in the long run. They just won't let TK bring a bad port of Dragon Quest Heroes to Steam.

I'd have to agree, there's a reason even mainline DQ re-releases sell very well in Japan.

Dr Dogg

Denial is the first sign of weakness!

Couple of times when I've said 'I'm not buying x, never ever!' to then end up having it play on my mind to the point of stoking my interest further. Next time you see someone defiantly say they're not interested in something, especially somewhere publicly like a message board, give it a couple of months and see if it was just them trying to psychologically convince themselves otherwise.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of bans, I think that junior aw350 got banned. Couldn't figure out the reason though.

In any case, I can't wait for it to be the weekend so I can pick up from where I left off in Valkyria Chronicles again. Now that I actually have it, the wait hurts so much worse. ;_;

Tizoc

*Skims a review of FO4 for PS4
Sees it gets 4.5/5 score
Cons listed include performance issues on PS4*

Yeesh, kids these days....

zkylon

zkylewd
Denial is the first sign of weakness!

Couple of times when I've said 'I'm not buying x, never ever!' to then end up having it play on my mind to the point of stoking my interest further. Next time you see someone defiantly say they're not interested in something, especially somewhere publicly like a message board, give it a couple of months and see if it was just them trying to psychologically convince themselves otherwise.

well i never said i wasn't interested in it :p

Durante

While I made a post just recently about not meaninglessly labeling things "bad ports" (most recently games like FO4 and CoD), K-T actually does create basically nothing but bad ports.

And resolution locks on 3D games are always a sign of a shitty port. No exceptions. There's simply no possible justification for it. All issues anyone could bring up can be worked around with a modicum of effort.

Since my PC is kind of shit I was going to buy Fallout 4 on PS4. But since the performance is shit on that console (and costs 80$ before taxes) I'll just wait until I build a new PC and buy the game in a Steam sale two or three years down the road.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
not me

my eyes are on the end game: either new vegas 2 or a new vegas port in this pretty engine

I've always wondered if Obsidian would even consider doing a New Vegas 2 after they got dicked hard by Zenimax the first time around. At this point I'd rather they take a crack at a first person open world RPG with an engine of their own on their own time and dime. But I guess it wouldn't be Fallout so there wouldn't be Pipboys or Power Armor or other iconic symbols from the series to get it pushed in front of more people like New Vegas had.

Speaking of bans, I think that junior aw350 got banned. Couldn't figure out the reason though.

Noticed this morning, couldn't find any incriminating evidence in their recent post history that would suggest misbehavior. I'm guessing it might have been an alt account. Or else their one bad post hadn't materialized in the search results, thanks to that odd quirk.

Tizoc

Since my PC is kind of shit I was going to buy Fallout 4 on PS4. But since the performance is shit on that console (and costs 80$ before taxes) I'll just wait until I build a new PC and buy the game in a Steam sale two or three years down the road.

In the mean time, go get Kero Blaster, best $10 you'll ever spend, it will perform far better than FO4 ever will on your PC
Plus it has a great soundtrack, colorful stages and fun gameplay

Khronico

Hmm.

The more time I think about Fallout 4, the more conflicted I feel about it.

On one hand, the moment to moment gameplay of crafting, shooting, leveling, etc is incredibly enjoyable to me. The game is also visually pretty IMO and very atmospheric at times.

On the other, most of the quests are simply 'go here shoot things' with a thin veneer of narrative, the world is a theme park with very little internal consistency or believability, most characters are two dimensional with little depth, factions are lackluster, the dialogue system is appallingly limited, the main character does not allow for much flexibility in role playing, the ending is GARBAGE, and the main quest is almost as bad as 3.

I think the best way to say what I feel is: I hate this game, but I love it.

Hektor

Hmm.

The more time I think about Fallout 4, the more conflicted I feel about it.

On one hand, the moment to moment gameplay of crafting, shooting, leveling, etc is incredibly enjoyable to me. The game is also visually pretty IMO and very atmospheric at times.

On the other, most of the quests are simply 'go here shoot things' with a thin veneer of narrative, the world is a theme park with very little internal consistency or believability, most characters are two dimensional with little depth, factions are lackluster, the dialogue system is appallingly limited, the main character does not allow for much flexibility in role playing, the ending is GARBAGE, and the main quest is almost as bad as 3.

That sounds like its taking more inspiration from Far Cry than from Fallout.
I'll finish SC2 today, then i'll start Fallout 4 tomorrow and see for myself i suppose.

Lomax

well it says fallout on the title so i'm not not gonna play it

i wasn't exactly expecting anything better than this but that doesn't mean i'm not curious

not me

I mean, I'm not saying never play it, but day one? For what? Nostalgia? I guess I'm just too stingy with my gaming money to ever do that. If I'm going to buy something day one, it's gonna be something I have no doubts about at all. Anything else can wait.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've always wondered if Obsidian would even consider doing a New Vegas 2 after they got dicked hard by Zenimax the first time around. At this point I'd rather they take a crack at a first person open world RPG with an engine of their own on their own time and dime. But I guess it wouldn't be Fallout so there wouldn't be Pipboys or Power Armor or other iconic symbols from the series to get it pushed in front of more people like New Vegas had.
maybe, i don't think that other than not having their name in the box they got screwed by beth, they signed a shitty deal out of love for the fallout license and made a game that didn't review as well as they hoped for

i'm guessing they'd like working on it again since you can tell new vegas was a work of love, but it also feels like it's too much of a risk for obs so might not be worth it, and making a new ip fps rpg is just beyond the scope of what obs can do

now what i'm hoping is that somehow beth and obs strke a deal for a "spinoff" fallout game using the eternity engine

I mean, I'm not saying never play it, but day one? For what? Nostalgia? I guess I'm just too stingy with my gaming money to ever do that. If I'm going to buy something day one, it's gonna be something I have no doubts about at all. Anything else can wait.
you have the right mentality and i'm just a fool

no sarcasm

Volimar

Definitely feels like Fallout Junior at times but I'm still enjoying myself. Found my first major bug. During the main quest mission
when you're going through Kellogg's memories
it kept crashing to desktop. Went back and tried it again quick saving every 30 seconds or so in case I crashed again and got through. Other than the very basic
settlement I haven't toyed with that system much. Just not that into building myself a trash house right now.

Second tag doesn't spoil any story but people are touchy so I better tag it too.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's just (so far) a super shallow game, even moreso than fo3

there's stuff like crafting but it seems to be mostly stat boosts without the fun experimentation of something like dead rising 2 (which is probably the only game ever in which i've ever liked crafting weapons)

combat hasn't changed much from fo3, enemies are still charging straight at you and your options are as limited as ever. there's no roll/dodge mechanic, shooting and enemy movement is still too erratic and unnatural and there's no magic or special attacks or anything like that. ap in real time doesn't matter outside for running and vats seems as much of a crutch for the gameplay as ever

stealth is still as finicky

power armor has a fancy ui and "getting on" animation but then it plays just the same as any other armor

dialogue is (i hate this expression) dumbed down with options that don't really feel like choices but just different ways of saying "go on". also so far it's very boring

minigames are still there, and while they're probably the best hacking/lockpicking, they're unchanged from fo3

at least that's my opinion on things so far after a few hours and just a first hand on everything. it could be much improved later on, but i severely doubt it

Khronico

Despite my many hours in 2, I've never actually beaten the main story. Spent way all my time wandering the wastes and taking whatever quests I stumbled into. Such an amazing game.

1 is also fantastic.

New Vegas

Monooboe

it's just (so far) a super shallow game, even moreso than fo3

there's stuff like crafting but it seems to be mostly stat boosts without the fun experimentation of something like dead rising 2 (which is probably the only game ever in which i've ever liked crafting weapons)

combat hasn't changed much from fo3, enemies are still charging straight at you and your options are as limited as ever. there's no roll/dodge mechanic, shooting and enemy movement is still too erratic and unnatural and there's no magic or special attacks or anything like that. ap in real time doesn't matter outside for running and vats seems as much of a crutch for the gameplay as ever

stealth is still as finicky

power armor has a fancy ui and "getting on" animation but then it plays just the same as any other armor

dialogue is (i hate this expression) dumbed down with options that don't really feel like choices but just different ways of saying "go on". also so far it's very boring

minigames are still there, and while they're probably the best hacking/lockpicking, they're unchanged from fo3

at least that's my opinion on things so far after a few hours and just a first hand on everything. it could be much improved later on, but i severely doubt it

While all that is true, I've been trying to figure why I love the game so much even when it's so mediocre in so many aspects and I'm such a sucker for impressive tech and mechanics. The best I can come up with is the sense of freedom and immersion in a world is kind of unmatched, it also helps immensely that the actual items are in the gameworld in a way few games do it.. I felt nowhere near the same in for example Witcher 3, which I also loved. It's the feeling of just wandering around, exploring and finding all kind of random things. If Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 would take the best parts of each other they would become the best damn game made.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is there cats?
there are cat's paws

Despite my many hours in 2, I've never actually beaten the main story. Spent way all my time wandering the wastes and taking whatever quests I stumbled into. Such an amazing game.

1 is also fantastic.

New Vegas
i've actually beaten it only a few times, probably like 5 at most. i've done many more 100hr+ runs of it tho

i don't really like ranking the fallout games cos all three fallouts are great in their own right. fallout 2 is my favorite since it's the one i played the most and the one i played first, but 1 and new vegas are both just as good

While all that is true, I've been trying to figure why I love the game so much even when it's so mediocre in so many aspects and I'm such a sucker for impressive tech and mechanics. The best I can come up with is the sense of freedom and immersion in a world is kind of unmatched, it also helps immensely that the actual items are in the gameworld in a way few games do it.. I felt nowhere near the same in for example Witcher 3, which I also loved. It's the feeling of just wandering around, exploring and finding all kind of random things. If Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 would take the best parts of each other they would become the best damn game made.
yeah i wholeheartly respect beth's commitment to lootable everything

i actually think there are some bits of an immersive sim at the core of beth's games that are criminally underdeveloped

it's the direction i'd love beth to go towards but they seem to be pulling away from that more and more with each game.

i also think witcha3 has its own problems with how limited your interactions with the world are, it's just that the writing, the story and the quest design (at least the narrative side of quest design) are all fantastic, and the combat is really fun as well.

Kaleinc

Banned
While I made a post just recently about not meaninglessly labeling things "bad ports" (most recently games like FO4 and CoD), K-T actually does create basically nothing but bad ports.
Dudes are rocking the same engine, fonts, animations, special effects, hud since the ice age. Won't change anything about their ports either, will be the same ps2 crap forever.

i could say that about some parts of fallout 3 but so far about fo4, not really :T

I have zero interest in playing the recent ones after trying the 3rd one for a bit when a friend lent me it years ago.

FO 3 is just the worst of all. It's the only Fallout game that I haven't actually finished. Just imagine Fallout 4 with worst graphics, combat, and settlements.
Settlements is a pretty nice addition in FO 4, I enjoyed building and managing stuff on it a lot.

Arthea

getting back to KT ports discussion (I know I'm a bit late)
How bad really those ports are? I know some have real issues, but many seem to be perfectly playable, so it's not that bad as steamgaf makes it to be.
What we need to do, is somehow to inform KT what we would want from those ports. They won't remake games that are made 30 fps to 60 fps, let's be real here, but there is a place for discussion about other things, like resolutions, pricing policies, steam integration and such. I just don't know how we can go about it, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom