• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

I see that we are getting firs Fallout 4 hi-res texture mods. As i said Fallout 4 will be perfect purchase for Winter Sale 2016. XD

Monooboe

I've been searching for a companion to romance in Fallout 4 and I finally found a companion...
but it was a damn mutant haha.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
What turned you off to the third one, and how can I preach the good word of New Vegas to you?

Also nice avatar. Best game with a statue of a cat.

It's been a while so I can only remember a bare bones list of things that made me drop it.

-Uninteresting characters
-Combat wasn't really engaging
-Choices felt paper thin most of the time to me.
-Didn't like traversing the land.

So basically I didn't really connect with anything which made it pretty boring to me and that's the worst thing a game can be to me which is why I hated the Tomb Raider reboot too.

Also thanks. o:

Arthea

I just noticed that Higurashi Watanagashi releases tomorrow, but tomorrow is Saturday and no games release on weekends. Or am I missing something here?

Caerith

It's been a while so I can only remember a bare bones list of things that made me drop it.

-Uninteresting characters
-Combat wasn't really engaging
-Choices felt paper thin most of the time to me.
-Didn't like traversing the land.

So basically I didn't really connect with anything which made it pretty boring to me and that's the worst thing a game can be to me which is why I hated the Tomb Raider reboot too.

Also thanks. o:

New Vegas addresses most of those. Well, half of those. Patrolling the Mojave might almost make you wish for a nuclear winter.

Volimar

modders are going to have a field day.

dhsxZZV.gif

I just noticed that Higurashi Watanagashi releases tomorrow, but tomorrow is Saturday and no games release on weekends. Or am I missing something here?

Was that ever a fixed rule? Maybe Mangagamer just doesn't care! The game is out on their store already and they always do this weird staggered Steam release so that's probably the reason.

Ludens

Banned
Is there a way to use the media creation tool in order to create an updated iso retrieving files downloaded on my PC for Win 10?

Arthea

Was that ever a fixed rule? Maybe Mangagamer just doesn't care! The game is out on their store already and they always do this weird staggered Steam release so that's probably the reason.

I always thought it's valve's rule, but maybe it isn't.

I won't be satisfied until you can play a Fallout game inside of a Fallout game.

we need to go deeper

play fallout game where you can play fallout game where you can play fallout game

edited:
BTW, nobody posted it yet, I think

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 V Generation
Score rank: 99% Userscore: 98%
Owners: 25,206 ± 3,955

sales aren't even close to 2, not to mention 1.

edit2: it would be nice to know what IF thinks about steam sales, no?

edit3: while we are at it
Tales of Zestiria
Score rank: 79% Userscore: 91%
Owners: 90,743 ± 7,504

oh wow, 100k? Bamco must be happy

edit4: I can continue editing this post, it's totally not weird!
somebody kindly post something!

Dr Dogg

Posting more on gaming side is a tad eye opening. Apparently a game that has rendering stalls, even if only occasional is perfectly playable and a quick time event is defined by a button press even if that just so happens to be a central game mechanic without a prompt. Yeah...

Anywho Tomb Raider is the knees of the bee. Can definitely see where concessions have been made but that makes wanting to play it on my PC even more exciting.

we need to go deeper

play fallout game where you can play fallout game where you can play fallout game

To be fair games within games is something that happens rarely let alone previous entries in the series playable in a sequel. Day of the Tentacle stay winning.

Knurek

Not seeing anything weird here.
Most of folks haven't finished the 1st game yet.
Also, 40% off instead of 50% off lost them some sales.
Also, Zestiria lost them some sales.
At least it sold better than SC.

derFeef

Posting more on gaming side is a tad eye opening. Apparently a game that has rendering stalls, even if only occasional is perfectly playable and a quick time event is defined by a button press even if that just so happens to be a central game mechanic without a prompt. Yeah...

Anywho Tomb Raider is the knees of the bee. Can definitely see where concessions have been made but that makes wanting to play it on my PC even more exciting..

Gaming side can be fun and werid ;) Are you waiting for the PC version to play it through or will you play it again? I am hovering over that buy button but then I have Battlefront coming up and still some games to finish. Plus a new graphic card was purchased so saving a little money is a good idea I guess...

edit2: it would be nice to know what IF thinks about steam sales, no?
![/SPOILER]

The game has been out for two weeks now and it didnt have a sale like 1+2 had (during the summer sale where they were like 8€).
Besides that its the third game that is gameplaywise identical to the first two.

I get why, but sometimes I wish this thread had a bit less of an obsession with numbers and sales data

steamspy ruined everything

It's still a discussion about steam, y'know.

Not seeing anything weird here.
Most of folks haven't finished the 1st game yet.
Also, 40% off instead of 50% off lost them some sales.
Also, Zestiria lost them some sales.
At least it sold better than SC.
SC is still the better game than all these combined! ;)

Dr Dogg

Gaming side can be fun and werid ;) Are you waiting for the PC version to play it through or will you play it again? I am hovering over that buy button but then I have Battlefront coming up and still some games to finish. Plus a new graphic card was purchased so saving a little money is a good idea I guess...

No chance on waiting for the PC version and at the rate I'm going I'll probably finish RotTR this weekend. I lost 5 hours playing it last night and about 12% on the in game progress tracker. It's more of an evolution of the previous game mechanically speaking. Though tombs have more than one puzzle, there are big tombs and smaller challenge tombs, which was biggest gripe with the past game. Resource gathering feeds into the crafting system now which has been expanded somewhat so you need more than just salvage to upgrade you gear and weaponry. This also make gathering stuff in the environment and hunting a lot more worth while this time. Which again feeds into exploration and the larger environments. There are still smaller areas which feed into larger open play spaces so set pieces and sight seeing kind of go hand in hand. Plus there's a raft of other modes in the Expedition side of the game which is geared towards replayability and challenges of the main content.

I had a trial kicking about for EA access so will probably have a look at Battlefront sometime this weekend too but the beta did more harm than good for me. Hopefully there's some other modes or maps that grab me but it's nice to have 10 hours and the full game to have a proper look. Who'd have thought EA would do something pretty sweet!

It's a double-edged sword.
It's a nice thing to have, but also a tool for conflict.

I thought so at first, but the only thing it's used for here is "x sold less than y, it's a bomba", without any context or analysis.
It's still a discussion about steam, y'know.
Sure! Just saying it often overtakes much of the conversation without actually contributing anything meaningful. I like sales analysis, but that takes more than just posting numbers for three games and saying they're failures.

Dr Dogg

Statement, opinion or fact taken out of context and used to prop up a users argument, possibly omitting certain details or lacking in analytical comparison is a cornstone of the internet for donkeys years. I'm pretty sure this post qualifies for that too!

The Fallout 4 "why isnt that criticised" thread is great.

I enjoy the game, but damn. Its the same janky, buggy Bethesda experience as always. And then people there saying "Its not buggy at all."...

derFeef

The Fallout 4 "why isnt that criticised" thread is great.

I enjoy the game, but damn. Its the same janky, buggy Bethesda experience as always. And then people there saying "Its not buggy at all."...

I can live with janky-ness. I can not live with shallow RPG mechanics in what is supposed to be a RPG with choices and an engaging story.

Dr Dogg

Jankiness can be endearing at times but if a game is so twisted in its systems creaking under one another that through no fault of your own it blocks your progress, eats your save, items in your inventory, storage or in Fallout 4's case even your companions disappear into the ether never to be seen again, then it can certainly become more frustrating than fun no matter how good the rest of the game is.

derFeef

Jankiness can be endearing at times but if a game is so twisted in its systems creaking under one another that through no fault of your own it blocks your progresses, eats your save, items in your inventory, storage or in Fallout 4's case even your companions disappear into the ether never to be seen again, then it can certainly become more frustrating than fun no matter how good the rest of the game is.

"It's part of the charm! 8/10"
That did happen...

Jankiness can be endearing at times but if a game is so twisted in its systems creaking under one another that through no fault of your own it blocks your progresses, eats your save, items in your inventory, storage or in Fallout 4's case even your companions disappear into the ether never to be seen again, then it can certainly become more frustrating than fun no matter how good the rest of the game is.

GOTY, 11/10, now with extra jankiness.

Arthea

It is.
That's the problem with Steam.
Boobs > Quality of game.

Compare, say, how much Sakura games sold vs infinitely superior Higurashi.

I'm not sure it's problem only with steam

IMHO Trails is so much better than any Bethesda RPG, it's not even funny
I mean Beth developed, of course

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Payday 2's latest update has players in uproar all over again

Now the game's Steam mods have quit too.

Payday 2 players recently reacted in anger at the addition of paid-for weapon skins with stat-changing bonuses.

Now, Payday 2 developer Overkill has added new weapon skins with XP and cash boosting upgrades to the game's PC version.

The update has incensed the heist shooter's already disgruntled playerbase, just weeks after Overkill's last widely-criticised addition.

Payday 2's new boosts will generate more money and XP for your whole team.

These effects will also stack, so the more players in a squad that have a boost active, the more the whole team benefits as a result.

"This is kinda hilarious to me in a strange way. It's like they're just trolling their fans at this point," one Reddit user wrote.

The Payday 2 Reddit is awash with negative feedback. Top thread titles include: "F*** you Overkill 2.0", "F*** You Overkill 2: Team-Boost Boogaloo" and "RIP this sub".

Payday 2's Steam moderation team has also quit in protest. Swamped with bad feedback and disappointed in the state of the game they also play, the trio of mods announced their decision to hang up their banhammers last night.

"We've recently being [sic] under a great deal of stress after the Crimefest update," moderator Ashley wrote, referencing October's poorly-received changes. "A number of death threats thrown at us as well as much more heavy moderation needed due to a huge increase in users breaking the rules. We are not paid and have been in a very stressful situation.

"If Overkill decides to let us go as moderators it's something we are prepared for, I personally cannot sit by when they continue to promote immoral business practices. I felt the skins system needed work but could function. The recent safe update showed against that.

"I'm very sorry that it has come to this situation but the stress we have had to manage with, coupled with our unhappiness with the situation has pushed us to make this choice."

Payday 2's October update added the ability to crack open safes for random drops of loot, but you needed to buy a £1.60 drill to open them.

Overkill later responded by giving players chances to get a free drill instead, and defended its changes to the game by reasoning that it needed more funds to keep supporting Payday 2 two years after launch.

"We have a partnership with our partner 505 Games, where we have a deal to produce a specific amount of content until 2017. However, we at Overkill want to create more than what we and 505 Games agreed on," producer Almir Listo explained.

"We want to do everything we can to make Payday 2 as awesome as possible. In order to do that, we made the decision to triple the size of the crew. To ensure that we can keep the size of the team, we decided that the best approach was to introduce the Black Market update to the game."

"From an economical standpoint however, completely based on statistics, we can already see that the Black Market update is working as we intended," Listo concluded. "Right now, things are looking pretty great."

Overkill is yet to respond to the latest developments. We've asked for comment.

It is.
That's the problem with Steam.
Boobs > Quality of game.

Compare, say, how much Sakura games sold vs infinitely superior Higurashi.

But isnt that actually "normal" with western anime-fans. I mean I have been in the "scene" for like 15 years now, collecting manga, watching anime etc. and it seems the ones with fanservice/moe are always selling better/are more popular than lets say the more serious/mature ones.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think jankiness can be forgiven for other areas of ambition, it can be charming, and some games for better or worse can actually be better because of the jankiness.

Jankiness is such a hard thing to describe, you know it when you feel it in a game, but to word it is hard, there's not a single type of jankiness, but many, something that doesn't feel exactly fluid or perfect or polished. But can benefit some games in an odd way, or can be easily overlooked if other elements make up for it.

But it can also detract if it feels to contrast with what the game is trying to be. If a game is a hammy B-game which is somewhat ambitious in areas but maybe doesn't have some big budget but makes up for it in creativity, I think the jank can be part of the overall charm of the game. If it's trying to follow popular trends and compete in a market and is more, "Been there, done that," territory, the jankiness can stick out more as a negative point.

Of course, this is also all subjective like what we find funny or scary, I think different people have different tolerance levels, or even desired jankiness, to their games.

derFeef

I think jankiness can be forgiven for other areas of ambition, it can be charming, and some games for better or worse can actually be better because of the jankiness.

Jankiness is such a hard thing to describe, you know it when you feel it in a game, but to word it is hard, there's not a single type of jankiness, but many, something that doesn't feel exactly fluid or perfect or polished. But can benefit some games in an odd way, or can be easily overlooked if other elements make up for it.

But it can also detract if it feels to contrast with what the game is trying to be. If a game is a hammy B-game which is somewhat ambitious in areas but maybe doesn't have some big budget but makes up for it in creativity, I think the jank can be part of the overall charm of the game. If it's trying to follow popular trends and compete in a market and is more, "Been there, done that," territory, the jankiness can stick out more as a negative point.

Of course, this is also all subjective like what we find funny or scary, I think different people have different tolerance levels, or even desired jankiness, to their games.

Indeed. State of Decay is incredibly janky and it's one of the best zombie/survival game I ever played. So good.

Someone said on the FFVII-SSB reaction thread that you can clearly see who has played FFVII when it came out and who has not, which lead me to realize that there is an substantial group of people on GAF that weren't alive when FFVII came out initially.

Is this what being old feels like? I am only in my late twenties for christs sake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom