• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gintoki

Rise of Incarnates, a game that will have its servers shutdown on December 15th is nominated for best fighting game of the year.

Dsyndrome

Three out of the five on the GOTY list are on my overall list as well. As long as the lists don't look like a monthly NPD chart, I'm OK with it.

Dr Dogg

I'm waiting for the inevitable 'well they're moving in the right direction' posts regards to the content of the show. Sure if that direction is the VMA's or The Smash Hits Teen Choice Awards.

Tizoc

Rise of Incarnates, a game that will have its servers shutdown on December 15th is nominated for best fighting game of the year.

lol
It actually has 1.5 mil owners on Steam via Steamspy. I kinda wanted to invest more time in it but never bothered.
Could it still allow for LAN play though after servers shut down?

Grief.exe

STEAM | 2015 - Your opinions are wrong and your taste in gaming sucks

Steam 2015 - Grief cries about mainstream games

Just have fun fam

IzyW492.gif

git gud taste though

your favorite game is mediocre

Hektor

lol
It actually has 1.5 mil owners on Steam via Steamspy. I kinda wanted to invest more time in it but never bothered.
Could it still allow for LAN play though after servers shut down?

Well, its F2P, so the numbers dont really mean anything.

Tizoc

Steam 2015 - Grief cries about mainstream games

Just have fun fam

IzyW492.gif

git gud taste though

your favorite game is mediocre

I honestly appreciate your views Grief.
I do plan on play DA Inq. and wonder if corrosive actually played it himself.If so I'd like to hear his impressions on it.
Now go play dat TF Devastation on Normal, thus completing the tutorial and experience dat hardcore Platinum games action goodness.

I do plan on play DA Inq. and wonder if corrosive actually played it himself.If so I'd like to hear his impressions on it..

I haven't played it either, but like you, I plan to. It's on my "grab it and put it on the backlog" list when it gets relatively cheap. But there hasn't been a deal for $20 or less (ideally $15), so I'm still waiting.

To be clear, I wasn't defending DA:I before -- merely questioning why Grief was using their choice of it as last years GotY as a negative and (judging on the brevity of the comment) sole reason to discredit anything they do going forward.

So http://thegameawards.com/nominees/ 4 anticipated games that are nominees are full exclusives and 1 is console exclusive :(

I wanted to vote for mankind divided or dark souls 3.

Probably because the games industry is focused around the big three.
Also, I was going to suggest that maybe it had something to do with the games you wanted to vote for being part of fiscal year 2015 Q4 instead of 2016 Q1, but Uncharted 4 breaks the general rule for release dates... so that theory is shot. (TLG and HZD are just "2016". Google says NMS is June. That leaves QB and U4... while QB is April, U4 is March.)

Lomax

If we're doing confessions, I never even finished Dragon Age: Origins. And I would gladly buy and play Dragon Age 2 if they did a cheap complete edition
just for the Felicia Day DLC.

Grief.exe

Your Transformers arrived, I send you a PM with the key in a minute :)

I do plan on play DA Inq. and wonder if corrosive actually played it himself.If so I'd like to hear his impressions on it.
Now go play dat TF Devastation on Normal, thus completing the tutorial and experience dat hardcore Platinum games action goodness.

That feel of Europe

xzI9mAy.gif

Lomax

Unfortunately Zen killed FX2 for many when they wiped the leaderboards and nerfed bumpin.

Yeah, I've been a bit annoyed with them too as they let the amazon version of the app basically die without noticing and it took a month to get it updated. I wasn't fond of the leaderboard wipe, but I was more annoyed afterwards when it seemed like half of my scores wiped and half didn't, which makes the friends list function not work any more.

As for bumping though, I was never a fan of it, it's basically cheating in my opinion, and it completely changes the dynamic of being good at the game. I just wish Zen would go back and fix some of the tables that rely so heavily on it or just plain suck, but they seem to have no interest in doing that. And they still don't do enough achievements for each table. But it's still my most played game that I keep coming back to in one form or another and their tables have just gotten better and better for the most part.

Yes. Even Rogue had one.

There you are!
Seemed like we'd gone awhile without a JaseC post.

But while I'm quoting you -- do you have any idea why the DB:Xenoverse Season Pass store page was removed? I figure of all people in here, you'd probably be the most likely to know what was going on there (or might want to know if it was an opportunity for a +1 that's no longer on Steam, since other outlets still have it for sale).

There you are!

But while I'm quoting you -- do you have any idea why the DB:Xenoverse Season Pass store page was removed? I figure of all people in here, you'd probably be the most likely to know what was going on there (or might want to know if it was an opportunity for a +1 that's no longer on Steam, since other outlets still have it for sale).

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/58736/ ?

Lain

I really hope K-T isnt in charge of porting that Dragon Quest Game.

I mean after 3 months their One Piece port still isnt fixed and still has the PSVita assets, the options dont do anything etc.
It hasnt even received one patch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but publishers have to request for patches to be made and pay for them, in which case most of the blame would be on Bamco, right?

Tizoc

To be clear, I wasn't defending DA:I before -- merely questioning why Grief was using their choice of it as last years GotY as a negative and (judging on the brevity of the comment) sole reason to discredit anything they do going forward.

I've read threads and posts about the negativities of DA Inq.
Only reason it was chosen at the time is because there was very little games to choose from.
Many who played Witcher 3 after DA Inq. regret having gotten and played it even

Now assume they chose Witcher 3 as the GotY; would it be because of the quality of the game or would it be because it was a popular game at the time?

Uzzy

I don't see a 'Best Advert shoehorned into an Award Presentation' category. Seriously this never has and never will be a proper awards show, it's a marketing event. Solid is the last thing I'd call it in lieu of praise.

Yeah, as we discussed last year, it's bloody embarrassing and just reinforces the whole attitude of gaming being a short-term, emphermial hobby, where you're always looking for the next hit, and the publishers are eager to push you onto it. There's never the opportunity to stop, pause and consider a game that came out six months ago. It's frustrating.

I enjoy a look at a new game, but there's a time and a place for it, and something that should be a chance to reflect on the past year isn't that time.

On a separate point, five nominations for GOTY is very stupid and excludes a ton of top titles.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Before I end up forgetting to update thanks to Trails FC (much to Frosty's dismay), new KF2 info! Two weapon Webms, a new character, and achievement talk!

WWAUT - Down The Sights

Since the last time I showed off the Gunslinger weapon set we have been bringing them online. Today I want to show off the 1858 revolvers as well as the Desert Eagle in game! These are to be considered near final in terms of animation and effects (but some work may still be ongoing).

http://media.tripwirecdn.com/111315/m1856.webm

http://media.tripwirecdn.com/111315/deserteagle.webm

Last week some eagle-eyed members of the community may have noticed that the character who I used had some new arms. Today you have all also heard his voice. I can now confirm the latest addition to the Killing Floor 2 player roster as Oisten Jaegerhorn!

jaegerhorn.png

Jaegerhorn's face is modeled off of Jeremiah Scott who is a guitarist for the band Demon Hunter and also co-wrote and recorded several of the songs from the Killing Floor 2 soundtrack. This Swedish Viking brings just the right amount of Heavy and Metal to the fight against the Zed hordes! He’ll be available for free to everyone who “follows” us on the KF2 Steam Community page (http://steamcommunity.com/app/232090/allnews/ and click the “Follow” button!). Make sure you hit that “Follow” button - so long as you are “Following” KF2, you will have Jaegerhorn available to you.

To top things off for today I would like to talk about those new achievements that many of you have been wondering about. As part of the update we are working towards we are doing a first pass at non map achievements. Including the achievements for the new maps, players will be soon be able to work towards:
Perk Rank Achievements unlocked at:
Level 5
Level 10
Level 15
Level 20
Level 25 for each perk
The Hot Shot Achievements
Win a match on every difficulty with each perk

As we move forward we are planning to add more unique, fun and challenging achievements for players to chase.

chronomac

Feel free to support your point, you really do have an uphill battle with these games that are aimed at a wide an audience as possible. The design just becomes so watered down it becomes much easier to argue for mediocrity.

I wish gaming journalism was more accountable :(

Critics have different tastes and that makes then less accountable?

Honestly, I'd have to concede after this point as I've never played the game and never will. Would be interesting to see the arguments however.
So you're just parroting opinions that fit your narrative and you're calling for more accountability in journalism in the same post.

dude

Dr Dogg

Yeah, as we discussed last year, it's bloody embarrassing and just reinforces the whole attitude of gaming being a short-term, emphermial hobby, where you're always looking for the next hit, and the publishers are eager to push you onto it. There's never the opportunity to stop, pause and consider a game that came out six months ago. It's frustrating.

I enjoy a look at a new game, but there's a time and a place for it, and something that should be a chance to reflect on the past year isn't that time.

On a separate point, five nominations for GOTY is very stupid and excludes a ton of top titles.

Pretty much, yeah. Having any awards show in December before the year is out is silly for starters let alone waaaay to close to the bulk of big releases that come out every November to properly reflect on gaming as a whole in the past year.

But hey I could be all pretentious and say 'don't worry the BAFTA's will save us' but Destiny came out of the leftfield and won last year. Then again the kids love them some Destiny so maybe it is a worthy winner?

There's no accounting for taste.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There you are!

As Nyteshade has said, the sub page is still up, but I think that's an oversight. To answer your question, though: I've no idea. I remember some users seeing a "Some online features of the game have been shut down" error message around the time the store page was yanked, but if memory serves that was just because the game had/s no general connection/sever error message and everything eventually returned to normal.

Yeah, I've been a bit annoyed with them too as they let the amazon version of the app basically die without noticing and it took a month to get it updated. I wasn't fond of the leaderboard wipe, but I was more annoyed afterwards when it seemed like half of my scores wiped and half didn't, which makes the friends list function not work any more.

As for bumping though, I was never a fan of it, it's basically cheating in my opinion, and it completely changes the dynamic of being good at the game. I just wish Zen would go back and fix some of the tables that rely so heavily on it or just plain suck, but they seem to have no interest in doing that. And they still don't do enough achievements for each table. But it's still my most played game that I keep coming back to in one form or another and their tables have just gotten better and better for the most part.
Unfortunately Zen does not listen to their playerbase. Not even on their own forum. Every 'move' they make is making the experience worse and leaves a bitter taste. I have seen a lot of 'top' players leave bc of this.

In the game I clocked 250+ hrs, but got really annoyed when they wiped my highscores. I hardly use bumping, so it was not justifiable for my case to wipe my scores.

I now occasionally fire the game up and jea, some tables are really nice still.

Grief.exe

I wish gaming journalism was similar to other forms of media. Where they take taste into account, but also compare the substance of the media to its place in history and how it pushes the medium forward.

They are free to enjoy something, but also support their point with a degree of objectivity.

I can watch and enjoy a movie like James Bond, but I can also criticize the movie at the same time.

Basically my question is, why do many of these reviews sound like they are ghost written by the publishers? Why can their not be critique in gaming journalism?

So you're just parroting opinions that fit your narrative and you're calling for more accountability in journalism in the same post.

dude

Are those opinions inaccurate? Do I have to conform to the same accountability as a journalist?

Grief.exe

I don't know, I haven't played the game. That's why I don't go around and ridicule it at every opportunity. And the other question you have to answer for yourself.

It's not like I've developed that opinion in a vacuum, I've assembled it over the past year from reading GAF reviews and watching copious amounts of gameplay.

I'm sure as hell not going to throw 70-100 hours in the trash. Honestly, that's time I just don't have anyways, I don't even have that kind of time for games I do want to play. I did actually do that with Skyrim and Assassin's Creed 2 and I'm really not willing to do that again.

I'm very passionate with critique because this is my hobby and I want to make this industry better. I get the same way with politics for similar reasons.

I agree with Dogg, putting out a GOTY for a game that had only just been released is disingenuous at best.

Khronico

So http://thegameawards.com/nominees/ 4 anticipated games that are nominees are full exclusives and 1 is console exclusive :(

I wanted to vote for mankind divided or dark souls 3.

I'm.... I'm completely fine with that GOTY nominee list. All of those games would be on my personal GOTY list (if I actually played Mario Maker and Bloodborne that is).

There seems to be a decent representation of games in most (not all) of the categories.

Although Fallout 4 under best Role Playing Game is laughable in a year where we got Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3.

Soulflarz

Banned
I hate so many games that I could almost be Derrick01, except for the fact that the 1/10 games I rave about I adore

^intentional exaggeration

no one comes close to him.

Not sure if it's the Steam Controller and getting used to it but goddamn does Fallout 4 feel mechanically janky. Everything feels so cumbersome.

And the load times are sooooo long. Longer than any other game I have experienced on my current PC. Maybe I should move the game to the SSD

edit: Also does the subtitles get screwed up for anyone else when you skip a line?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not sure if it's the Steam Controller and getting used to it but goddamn does Fallout 4 feel mechanically janky. Everything feels so cumbersome.

And the load times are sooooo long. Longer than any other game I have experienced on my current PC. Maybe I should move the game to the SSD

You should. Load times are no more than several seconds on my M500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom