• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

I tried several different phone lines (even one that's a "traditional" land line) and none of them worked. Yeah it's crazy the people defending them - like you said, if you get a good deal then good for you. But the way I see it, it's got the same online connotations as illegal activities do - you might have a great drug dealer that gives you good prices, but that doesn't mean he's not going to rob me.

Yep.

How are people here liking the steam controller?

I'm loving it. It feels great, and works wonders with many games. It's not for everyone, so don't go picking one up thinking it'll just magically cure all of your problems overnight. It has a learning curve, and will require some tinkering. I will say, I probably won't be using my DS4 for single player games anymore. Something like Tomb Raider will probably be a joy to control with this thing.

Anteater

new vegas runs fine on my end in terms of performance

game freezes often tho, I just installed a few things like anticrash and 4gig thing to see if it helps, so far so good!

nv01hqqqd.jpg
nv02ekp53.jpg

Drakhyrr

new vegas runs fine on my end in terms of performance

game freezes often tho, I just installed a few things like anticrash and 4gig thing to see if it helps, so far so good!

New Vegas Anti Crash is pretty good. I also recommend Yukichigai Unofficial Patch. And New Vegas Stutter Remover if you have problems with that. I'm pretty far into it and I think I didn't have a single crash.

Shepard

Not sure if I can post the link here without it being erased (hint: they sell CD-Keys). Was trying to save a few bucks (deal post here via Slickdeals) but ultimately I should have just paid the extra $10 and bought it full price. Now I'll likely have to wait a few weeks to play.

Quite an interesting scam though - after placing my order I was told that I had to do a phone verification for "fraud protection". After giving them my phone number I was told that the fraud protection failed. And that was it. No key, no refund, just theft. Hopefully Paypal can sort that nonsense out faster than 3 weeks but we'll see.

I honestly should have known better, but like many folks the Gaming side of GAF led me astray.
I tried my very first time with a key reseller last week (for Arkham Knight), also after hearing other's opinions, and I got stuck in the same phone verification thing as you. I contacted their support (via email) and they answered after 10 mins with instructions on how to proceed. Overall it was a positive experience but I'm still too afraid of steam revoking my key to do it again.

Jawmuncher

Anyone know how cheap i may be able to find the xbox one controller for windows on black friday? Also did they fix the bumpers?

New controllers with the 3.5mm jack have the fixed bumpers.
There were a few places offering cheaper controllers like bestbuy. I would google for the black friday ads for stores closest to you.

New controllers with the 3.5mm jack have the fixed bumpers.
There were a few places offering cheaper controllers like bestbuy. I would google for the black friday ads for stores closest to you.

What did they do to the bumpers? Is it like the 360 bumpers or they made the closer parts clickable?

Grief.exe

Anyone know how cheap i may be able to find the xbox one controller for windows on black friday? Also did they fix the bumpers?

If you check Wario 64 on Twitter, he has posted all of the big box Black Friday deals. Most of the deals don't look very good, I remember last year I was picking up PS4 and WiiU controllers for $20.

Lingitiz

Yep.

I'm loving it. It feels great, and works wonders with many games. It's not for everyone, so don't go picking one up thinking it'll just magically cure all of your problems overnight. It has a learning curve, and will require some tinkering. I will say, I probably won't be using my DS4 for single player games anymore. Something like Tomb Raider will probably be a joy to control with this thing.
Yeah I've been using one and I'm starting to get the hang of it. It has a big learning curve and the first few days have been pretty tough, but with each day I feel myself getting better with it.

I tried several different phone lines (even one that's a "traditional" land line) and none of them worked. Yeah it's crazy the people defending them - like you said, if you get a good deal then good for you. But the way I see it, it's got the same online connotations as illegal activities do - you might have a great drug dealer that gives you good prices, but that doesn't mean he's not going to rob me.

I've successfully purchased products there in the past. I don't do it too often because I'm also concerned about the legitimacy of their products but I'm also a sucker for a good deal. I can't say they haven't delivered on any product I've purchased, nor have my keys been revoked. I found the fraud prevention thing really unusual but I gave them the number of a pre-paid cellphone I had laying around, and managed to receive the text just fine. They've never asked me to do that again either. I mean it's up to you but you're sort of damning them to all hell on the basis of very little proof, besides a technical system failing to function properly for some reason. Anyway, have you tried contacting their support? I wouldn't be surprised if they offered you a refund that's not going to take 3 weeks to process.

Parsnip

Compiled a preliminary list for Steam GOTY. Played less Steam games than I thought this year.

What did they do to the bumpers? Is it like the 360 bumpers or they made the closer parts clickable?

They feel like 360 bumpers now pretty much, I don't know if they are mechanically the same though.

Anteater

Higurashi Watanagashi is out

New Vegas Anti Crash is pretty good. I also recommend Yukichigai Unofficial Patch. And New Vegas Stutter Remover if you have problems with that. I'm pretty far into it and I think I didn't have a single crash.

Yea the stuttering patch seems to help

If those things don't help, try the advice here: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_NV_Troubleshooting_guide

Specifically the section regarding the iNumHWThreads.

Thanks, hope I won't have to do further tweaking, I'm not even sure if I got the load order right since I just launch from another exe rather than the mod manager, but as long as the sky mod works I'm good.

I've read threads and posts about the negativities of DA Inq.
Only reason it was chosen at the time is because there was very little games to choose from.
Many who played Witcher 3 after DA Inq. regret having gotten and played it even

Now assume they chose Witcher 3 as the GotY; would it be because of the quality of the game or would it be because it was a popular game at the time?
One doesn't have to play TW3 to see the major flaws of DA3, in fact I was regretting buying DA3 while I was playing it. And TW3 is one of the best RPG of this gen and last gen.

Grief is right, pretty much all of the mainstream reviews of this game feel similar, and shallow in the sense that makes you question if the reviewers had actually put more than 30 hours into this game. Most don't warn you of how broken KB+M control was at launch, brain dead quest design was either brushed away or simply not mentioned, so was the dumbed down gameplay (did no one remember what DA:O plays like or something?), they were eating it all up.

If I wanted yes-men giving me game impressions, I have shinobi for that.

LOTV finished.

Fucking amazing missiondesign.
okayish story, that takes a damning turn for the worse
in the epilogue campain
Protoss best waifu race anyways.

I highly recommend it.
People kept saying that, what even is in the epilogue?
I believe it. I just wish I could find the desire to play it, but after having part of it spoiled for me, I just don't want anything to do with it.

It's one of the few games that I believe the hype about.
Come on, man, you are missing out. Your "spoiler" is merely the premise of this game.

rtcn63

RE5. I started up a Professional run, but one-hit to dying is just too much for me. Well, Sheva technically. I know others have done it, I just can't see myself having much fun considering how questionable her AI is. I did farm for the
longbow
, which does make her less of a worry during Veteran NG+.

I want to install RE6 again, but then I remember everything outside of Leon's campaign...

RE5. I started up a Professional run, but one-hit to dying is just too much for me. Well, Sheva technically. I know others have done it, I just can't see myself having much fun considering how questionable her AI is. I did farm for the
longbow
, which does make her less of a worry during Veteran NG+.
Wait till you reach the
Wesker and Jill fight.
The AI makes that part so much harder and annoying on Professional.

I want to install RE6 again, but then I remember everything outside of Leon's campaign...
RE6 should never be uninstalled.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've successfully purchased products there in the past. I don't do it too often because I'm also concerned about the legitimacy of their products but I'm also a sucker for a good deal. I can't say they haven't delivered on any product I've purchased, nor have my keys been revoked. I found the fraud prevention thing really unusual but I gave them the number of a pre-paid cellphone I had laying around, and managed to receive the text just fine. They've never asked me to do that again either. I mean it's up to you but you're sort of damning them to all hell on the basis of very little proof, besides a technical system failing to function properly for some reason. Anyway, have you tried contacting their support? I wouldn't be surprised if they offered you a refund that's not going to take 3 weeks to process.

Yes I contacted support right away, am still waiting to hear back to see if they can provide an option that doesn't involve me waiting 3 weeks.

I'm not damning them, only offering my personal experience here. I won't be using them again, but I totally understand why other people would. Personally, I'm not a fan of designing your workflow in such a way that customers like myself can get "trapped" between technical barriers. Obviously if they had asked me for phone verification prior to me placing my order, I would have simply shrugged my shoulders and walked away. Instead, because it happens after my Paypal account has been charged, I'm left with no product and no money. It's a compromising position to be in, especially if they are expecting my repeat business in the future.

Anyway, like I said I'm only offering my personal experience with this particular company, nothing more.

So next time one of the usual sites like GMG, funstock, (which are both not much different from cdkeys) indiegala or groupess have some problem and don't instantly deliver keys after purchase for some technical reason we're going to call them thieves and scammers as well?
Anyway, like I said I'm only offering my personal experience with this particular company, nothing more.
No, you're throwing around baseless accusations, calling it "scam" and "theft".

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No, you're throwing around baseless accusations.

I fail to see how these accusations are baseless, since they personally happened to me. But okay.

So next time one of the usual sites like GMG, funstock, (which are both not much different from cdkeys) indiegala or groupess have some problem and don't instantly deliver keys after purchase for some technical reason we're going to call them thieves and scammers as well?

I think the difference is that GMG, Funstock, IndieGala and Groupees are all considered to be more legitimate than CDKeys. CDKeys have a history of being less than legitimate, and a 3-week response time is inexcusable -- especially when they take payment immediately. Personally, I wouldn't call them scammers or thieves, but they're definitely bottom-of-the-barrel scummy in the way they tend to operate.

Hopefully you get your money back (or your game) soon. If worse comes to worse, at least you bought with Paypal so you can dispute it with them.

I think the difference is that GMG, Funstock, IndieGala and Groupees are all considered to be more legitimate than CDKeys. CDKeys have a history of being less than legitimate, and a 3-week response time is inexcusable -- especially when they take payment immediately. Personally, I wouldn't call them scammers or thieves, but they're definitely bottom-of-the-barrel scummy in the way they tend to operate.

Hopefully you get your money back (or your game) soon. If worse comes to worse, at least you bought with Paypal so you can dispute it with them.
Where is the three weeks figure coming from? People report that they usually respond quickly during business hours.

They're not scammers or thieves. Feel free not to use them because you can't handle the potential issues (I personally don't), but please stop with the overreactions and internet outrage because something didn't go exactly as you wanted it. The same things happen regualrly with the bigger sites and no one calls them scammers or thieves.

Lomax

Where is the three weeks figure coming from? People report that they usually respond quickly during business hours.

They're not scammers or thieves. Feel free not to use them because you can't handle the potential issues (I personally don't), but please stop with the overreactions and internet outrage because something didn't go exactly as you wanted it. The same things happen regualrly with the bigger sites and no one calls them scammers or thieves.

Do you even know who you are talking to? Or even read what happened? Because you're the one overreacting here and looking stupid.

MUnited83

For you.

No, you're throwing around baseless accusations, calling it "scam" and "theft".

While jshackles will probably get his money back without many issues, as CDKeys support are generally helpful, I think he's right. Any fucking company that takes your money first and then asks for verification with personal details, and not automatically refunding that payment if it fails, is a scummy-ass company that shouldn't be trusted. GMG, funstock, indiegala and groupees, none of them ever asks for your personal information to verify purchases and if they did they would surely tell you beforehand, not taking your money first and not giving it back if it fails.

Do you work for these companies? You must.

Of course. Everyone who doesn't automatically jump to conclusions and is capable of rational thought must be a shill. I don't even buy games there.
Do you even know who you are talking to? Or even read what happened? Because you're the one overreacting here and looking stupid.

He can't be wrong because he's jshackles? I'm fully aware of the situation.
While jshackles will probably get his money back without many issues, as CDKeys support are generally helpful, I think he's right. Any fucking company that takes your money first and then asks for verification with personal details, and not automatically refunding that payment if it fails, is a scummy-ass company that shouldn't be trusted. GMG, funstock, indiegala and groupees, none of them ever asks for your personal information to verify purchases and if they did they would surely tell you beforehand, not taking your money first and not giving it back if it fails.

I don't know how their payment system works or how long it usually takes to get refunds, but he didn't even give them a single day (not to mention it's the weekend) or the chance to respond. I've waited longer for refunds after cancelled orders from huge retailers.

Momentary

Banned
Someone is defending and making a big deal out of people calling that place that sells CD-Keys scummy? It's frowned upon to even link to that website.

You will have a thread closed if you post make a topic about them. You defending them is laughable. I'm surprised that new thread is still going and that there are people actually defending that website.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451542

MUnited83

For you.
I don't know how their system works or how long it usually takes to get refunds, but he didn't even give them a single day or the chance to respond. I've waited longer for refunds after cancelled orders from huge retailers.

He shouldn't have to. That's not on him. If you go there and buy something, they don't give any notices that they might ask you for personal information if you buy something. You're only "informed" when it actually happens. This is a scummy business practice and it's illegal even(on most countries at least).

I don't go to a fucking grocery store and expect to buy a bottle of water, pay, but then they say they can't sell me the water without me showing my driver's license first, but in the meanwhile they keep my money unless I complain about it. This is not reasonable.
Any site that offers "insurance" just to buy a key is shady as hell at best. Same goes for the scummy way they deal with personal information.

They adopt a "clean hands" policy by passing the buck off to gray market sellers who acquire keys via stolen credit cards or shipments of physical products.
CDkeys has no "insurance" system neither they do allow grey market sellers. All there is sold by themselves.

. Feel free not to use them because you can't handle the potential issues (I personally don't), but please stop with the overreactions and internet outrage because something didn't go exactly as you wanted it. The same things happen regualrly with the bigger sites and no one calls them scammers or thieves.

There's not a single fucking "bigger site" where this situation would happen. Not a single one, I guarantee you that.

also, lol @ "didn't go exactly as you wanted it". I mean, I don't expect them to piss on my mouth, but i'd definitely be rightfully outraged if they did.

They're not scammers or thieves.

Any site that offers "insurance" just to buy a key is shady as hell at best. Same goes for the scummy way they deal with personal information.

They adopt a "clean hands" policy by passing the buck off to gray market sellers who acquire keys via stolen credit cards or shipments of physical products.

I'm fully aware of the situation.
Uh, you mean like not even reading who you're responding to?

[In response to electroflame]

I didn't order from them. I was posting an opinion -- I don't have anything personally invested in the outcome aside from hoping it's resolved. You might've meant to direct the snide remark to jshackles, not me.

Honestly, if anyone's overreacting it's you. Everyone else is being pretty cool-headed about this (even jshackles, who's really the only one here who has a right to be angry) -- you're really the only one approaching "internet outrage".

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
MechWarrior Online is coming to Steam in December

Stomping on up

After what seems like years of rumors and speculation, the free-to-play shooter MechWarrior Online is finally making the move to Steam. According to a news post on the MWO website, the Steam launch will happen on December 10, moving surprisingly quickly after playing coy with the idea for so many years. There is no word yet on what will be involved in the switch from an entirely stand-alone client to being a part of Steam (one assumes there will be a way for existing players to port their accounts over), but PGI is raffling off tickets to a launch party with the dev team at their studio in Vancouver, so there's that.

Of course, it wouldn't be MWO without a good amount of drama. While at first blush the idea of moving the game to Steam would seem like a no-brainer (more players, potentially more scrutiny to address bugs, maybe better pricing schemes to compete with other free-to-play titles on the service, etc.), the reaction from the community has been decidedly mixed. Forum posts range from exulting the move as if it were the return of Kerensky himself (don't worry, BattleTech nerds got that reference), to saying it will be the final nail in the coffin for MWO -- for reasons.

I'd write the complainers off as cynics, but we all saw what happened to poor old Hawken when it made the switch. Hopefully this won't be a case of a history repeating for mech fans.

It's not like Hawken was thriving before it came to Steam and that's when it died. It was a decidedly average game and it came way too late on the platform to save it from it's death.

I'm fairly certain the same fate awaits MWO. In fact, the only reason MWO has survived this long is because there is a very hardcore group of fans of the IP that are keeping it alive. The game was actually worse than Hawken for a while, especially with the developers never actually implementing promised features and instead trying to find new ways to extract money from players.

On the subject of cd key selling sites, I'm still not sure what to think of Funstock after the last couple of weeks. On the one hand, they worked pretty quickly with me to solve my BLOPS 3 key issues. But then they ran into problems again when Fallout 4 keys were supposed to be released. I can't decide if they're a legit site who just got overwhelmed because they had the best deals on the most popular games of the season or if there is something shady going on.

zkylon

zkylewd
i kind of liked hawken, it's just that like all these f2p games there's so much grinding to be done that i lose all drive to play the game when i know i'm gonna have to use the same shitty gun/mech for like 50 games before i can make any progress

Went to gamestop to buy a steam controller and heard this conversation between two random people and the sales clerks.

"Should I buy this Walking Dead game?"
"No, it's not a real game and a waste of money so buy Black Ops 3 instead"
"Ok"

Reminded instantly why I never go to these horrible stores. Not that the Walking Dead is great, but its flaws lie in other areas :p

Come on, man, you are missing out. Your "spoiler" is merely the premise of this game.

Bullshit. It's a spoiler and it was a major plot point I was not aware of, since I purposely avoided everything to do with the game after finishing TW2.
You're free to disagree if you like and consider it not a spoiler, but that doesn't change my viewpoint or how I feel about things.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions:

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Ampersand : -- MB-47FA0B30D0598555 - Taken by Costa1774
StarFence : -- MB-467D989882FFD91C - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo
Porradaria Upgrade : -- MB-4A6DD98F83C77DC7 - Taken by Loptous
Z Steel Soldiers : -- MB-95DAB51054B945DA - Taken by darkchewie
Space Thinger : -- MB-B45AF211A185F0D2 - Taken by Kuroyume

Salsa

Went to gamestop to buy a steam controller and heard this conversation between two random people and the sales clerks.

"Should I buy this Walking Dead game?"
"No, it's not a real game and a waste of money so buy Black Ops 3 instead"
"Ok"

Reminded instantly why I never go to these horrible stores. Not that the Walking Dead is great, but its flaws lie in other areas :p

? you'd read that even in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom