• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

So just finished ROTTR up. Have to say this easily excels Tomb Raider (2013) by a large margin. I would say it's comparable to the jump in quality from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2. Most know I wasn't too big of a fan of TR2013, but I really enjoyed my time with ROTTR, it pretty much fixed all of the issues I had with the prior game. The first being the story which is a huge improvement. I was interested the entire time through, and pretty invested with the characters enough to care what was going on. Which was not the case in the last game. It also helps that the villains are given a good amount of time to develop as well. Which goes a long way in making them interesting. Aside from that everything this time around just felt way more developed. Which should be the case in every sequel but was still very nice to see here. Speaking of which the overall formula of the game is still pretty similar to that of TR2013. You have a story mode and levels which are connected to numerous hubs in the game. All of which adds their own missions or items to gather and collect, along with hunting animals. Along with all of that you still have the optional tombs which are a bit more fleshed out then last time. However puzzles aren't all that frequent in the story, and the ones that do show are pretty easy. However the puzzles add a nice bit of variety, especially to the nice and spacious story levels. So it never feels as linear as say something like Uncharted. Also i have to applaud the game for it's stealth. While it's not going to push Splinter Cell or Metal Gear off the map, it's fun. When you get the combat knife you feel like the hunter. I was going out of my way to play areas in stealth compared to the first game, where I didn't really try. On top of the story mode with all the collectibles and activities I mentioned (Took me 10 hours with side pickings to achieve 64%), there is also a expedition mode. Expedition mode can be summed up as a sort of arcade mode. You earn booster packs while playing the campaign (Which you can also buy with real money or use in game credits on) that give you cards with numerous abilities. You can apply cards to the level you wish to replay with varying new factors. Such as enemies can dodge all melee attacks, everyone has a big head, you can't heal, and so much more. There's a lot of cards to be unlocked. The thing is that cards can either have a negative or positive effect on scoring. Cards with positive scores will give you more points at the end of the level, however they introduce handicaps. While cards with negative scores, will make your playthrough easier but at the cost of end of level points. With all of that said it's a fun mode to mess around with, and those who enjoy score based type trials should have fun with it. There's a lot of content here for a SP game and if the PC version comes with the season pass this is a easy recommend at full price. Hell even without it.

So just finished ROTTR up. Have to say this easily excels Tomb Raider (2013) by a large margin. I would say it's comparable to the jump in quality from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2.

Stopped reading there because of the bolded. I'd rather it be reversed, which is where I thought they were going with the removal of multiplayer and more "tombs" to explore (which should mean a more even pace between large firefights and exploration/puzzle solving.

Maybe I should've taken Shadownet up on one of his offers for some game other than RotTR... ;)

Jawmuncher

Stopped reading there because of the bolded.
Maybe I should've taken Shadownet up on one of his offers for some game other than RotTR... ;)

I know your hate for uncharted 2 is strong but you should read on.
It's not similar to that game I was just using it as an example, since aside from you and a select few. That is the general acknowledgement.

I know your hate for uncharted 2 is strong but you should read on.
It's not similar to that game I was just using it as an example, since aside from you and a select few. That is the general acknowledgement.

Oh, I skimmed the rest. The general impressions of the game are good so far and I was hoping the stealth could be an option, as I enjoyed that approach when you were offered it in Uncharted 3. It made it feel less like "Nathan Drake Murder Simulator" and more like an actual Indiana Jones inspired adventure.

def sim

I'll get around to playing RotTR later in the weekend. As far as power fantasy, set-piece driven games go TR2013 was enjoyable enough. I'm happy to hear they leaned into the hub-like worlds and optional tombs; those are what made it stand on its own in contrast to the Uncharted games.

Salsa

saying ROTT is a vast improvement over the TR reboot might as well be "game is really bad, just not god awful this time around" to my ears

WkFzRtZ.png

wtzgU.gif

rtcn63

Eh, I'd take TR over Max Payne 3. Less linear, there's an actual sense of progression as you go from one place to the next, you get to keep all of your weapons on hand and upgrade them, etc. MP3 was basically Uncharted with self-loathing, while TR was closer to Last of Us with more psychopathy.

And very little to no slow walking.

Ah ok, I realized for gyro you just lightly hold the pad and then move the controller. Thought it was a case you had to tap the pad to activate the mode. Interesting interesting.

ROTTR Stuff

Thanks for the write-up, Jaw. Unlike what seems like the majority here, I enjoyed the last TR quite a bit. Hearing that the sequel is improved in just about every way is great. Expedition Mode sounds like it could be a nice addition to the regular game.

Looking forward to the PC release.

The thing that bothered me the most about TR2013 were how telegraphed and hilarious the falling sequences and QTE's became. It's not even how much Crystal Dynamics harped on how vulnerable and inexperienced Lara was in 2013 ("you'll want to protect her") or the jarring juxtaposition of how she turns out to be a navy seal super commando in the hands of a player. It's that she's a super-human punching bag and how predictable those bits became. I just started laughing at some of those later sequences.

If they are dropping that narrative bent and don't rely on as many goofy scripted QTE sequences in Rise, if they are just rolling with Lara is this capable, hard-assed adventurer on some grand pulp adventure, I'll bite. During a sale.

Jawmuncher

The thing that bothered me the most about TR2013 were how telegraphed and hilarious the falling sequences and QTE's became. It's not even how much Crystal Dynamics harped on how vulnerable and inexperienced Lara was in 2013 ("you'll want to protect her") or the jarring juxtaposition of how she turns out to be a navy seal super commando in the hands of a player. It's that she's a super-human punching bag and how predictable those bits became. I just started laughing at some of those later sequences.

If they are dropping that narrative bent and don't rely on as many goofy scripted QTE sequences in Rise, if they are just rolling with Lara is this capable, hard-assed adventurer on some grand pulp adventure, I'll bite. During a sale.

Pretty much this actually.
Only one QTE event really happens and it's early on. Most deaths now are just from missing jump or triggering traps. Outside of the usual getting shot and such.

Y'know, if you weren't really sure you wanted it, it is currently the #1 game on my Wishlist. :p

Thanks for the write-up, Jaw. Unlike what seems like the majority here, I enjoyed the last TR quite a bit. Hearing that the sequel is improved in just about every way is great. Expedition Mode sounds like it could be a nice addition to the regular game.

Looking forward to the PC release.

I liked it a lot too. I'd be hard press to chose which I liked more TR2013 or Uncharted 1/3. The multiplayer seemed like it could've been fun if people were actually playing too, but we only had a few rounds of screwing around for achievement hunting to help Stallion Free (curse you, Stallion... that grind to get the level 50 stuff after my OCD kicked in and only 1-2 achievements weren't unlocked... urrrgh).

zkylon

zkylewd
Eh, I'd take TR over Max Payne 3. Less linear, there's an actual sense of progression as you go from one place to the next, you get to keep all of your weapons on hand and upgrade them, etc. MP3 was basically Uncharted with self-loathing, while TR was closer to Last of Us with more psychopathy.

And very little to no slow walking.

slow walking and unskippable cutscenes set to terrible dialogue is such a cardinal sin for mp3

fuck that game

I liked Max Payne 3 back when I first played through it.
But then I completed the first two games.

MP3 is great, phenomenal even when it comes to shooting mechanics. I'm growing increasingly ambivalent with the rest of the game though.

Durante

I'm really starting to dig the steam controller now that I got gyro working for shooter type games.

Tried it with pillar for a few minutes and that on the other hand will take some get used to. Certainly playable but I wouldn't call it ideal.

I liked Max Payne 3 back when I first played through it.
But then I completed the first two games.

MP3 is great, phenomenal even when it comes to shooting mechanics. I'm growing increasingly ambivalent with the rest of the game though.

Great Third Person Shooter, terrible terrible Max Payne game

Jawmuncher

Tried Falllout 4 for about an Hour and a Half. I can't do it, just can't get into that Bethesda style and "jank". I can see why other's like it.

dex3108

Yes I contacted support right away, am still waiting to hear back to see if they can provide an option that doesn't involve me waiting 3 weeks.

I'm not damning them, only offering my personal experience here. I won't be using them again, but I totally understand why other people would. Personally, I'm not a fan of designing your workflow in such a way that customers like myself can get "trapped" between technical barriers. Obviously if they had asked me for phone verification prior to me placing my order, I would have simply shrugged my shoulders and walked away. Instead, because it happens after my Paypal account has been charged, I'm left with no product and no money. It's a compromising position to be in, especially if they are expecting my repeat business in the future.

Anyway, like I said I'm only offering my personal experience with this particular company, nothing more.

To be honest they do inform you before you buy anything. This is what they say under Product Information

Fast Delivery in Five Easy Steps:
1) Add the desired digital products to your basket.
2) Enter your details and checkout with PayPal or Credit/Debit Card (via guest checkout).
3) Receive a phone call or sms with your 4 digit verification number (free of charge).
4) Enter this 4 digit verification number on our site.
5) Receive your CD key / Product Code on your account and/or to your email address

Lomax

What type of buzz or acclaim are we talking about here?

Buzz:
Divinity OS OT reached 10.5k posts
Pillars OT reached 10.7k posts

Acclaim:
Pillars Metacritic 89
Divinity: OS Metacritic 87

Now, I absolutely love both of these games, and I don't really care for either buzz or critical acclaim, I was just wondering about the basis for the comparison.

I guess that was just my perception, from what I remember PoE just seemed to come and go while Divinity was all anyone talked about for months. I didn't realize PoE had reviewed so well. Maybe PoE was just less of a SteamGaf thing.

Bullshit. It's a spoiler and it was a major plot point I was not aware of, since I purposely avoided everything to do with the game after finishing TW2.
You're free to disagree if you like and consider it not a spoiler, but that doesn't change my viewpoint or how I feel about things.
You are overreacting.

zkylon

zkylewd
There's nothing worthwhile to any Max Payne game beyond the third-person shooting
this opinion pains me

max payne 1 and 2 are awesome in so many ways

Tried Falllout 4 for about an Hour and a Half. I can't do it, just can't get into that Bethesda style and "jank". I can see why other's like it.
yeah, specially after playing witcha3 it's hard to accept a game like this being so clunky and unpolished

specially since it's not gonna do anything ambitious to justify its jank

and if it's gonna screw up basic stuff that have nothing to do with scope like the dialogue wheel options, or basic interface, or the dialogue quality in general, or the really bad pacing of the starting areas

You are overreacting.
what did u spoil for him heh

spoilertag it just in case :p

Parsnip

Finished Arkham Knight with 100% story completion.

It's still an Arkham game at heart, so I had fun with it. Tank battles got really boring after a while though and really brings the game down overall. Anything that involved racing didn't really move me in any direction, they just felt like padding but I didn't hate the sections.
I think Asylum is still the best of the series despite the combat improvements in the later games.

Regarding Knights identity.
My knowledge of the DC characters and the universe is slim at best. So I really had no real guess on who it might be, or if it was some entirely new character. I didn't even know who Jason Todd is. The funny part was that in that one section where you "witness" the Joker killing Jason Todd, I immediately knew that Jason is the Knight because of how Troy Baker delivered his lines. It was so ridiculously obvious.

Regarding the ending.
So uh, what's the deal with that super duper "scary" bat like figure?

Sober

Regarding the ending.
So uh, what's the deal with that super duper "scary" bat like figure?
Interpret it however you want with the minor details and such but the gist of it regardless is that
even though Batman was unmasked, apparently criminals are still scared of a Batman-like symbol - whoever it may be after Knightfall - regardless of what the Scarecrow tried to do Batman in the events of the game.

tuxfool

Banned
yeah, specially after playing witcha3 it's hard to accept a game like this being so clunky and unpolished

specially since it's not gonna do anything ambitious to justify its jank

and if it's gonna screw up basic stuff that have nothing to do with scope like the dialogue wheel options, or basic interface, or the dialogue quality in general, or the really bad pacing of the starting areas

If you ask me the game has exactly the same scope as Skyrim. I can't fathom any reason other than the engine being garbage. You'd think that using the same engine all these years would let them polish out a lot of the jank, but no. It is bad enough that Bethesda doesn't really understand Fallout beyond re-purposing its visual aesthetic.

Holy schnikes, I put a dent in my backlog in the last week, hell, currently downed 3 games today alone somehow...

• Tales from the Borderlands
  • Life is Strange
  • Assault Android Cactus
  • Wooden Sen'SeY

Four shy of 100 now. I think this will be the first year I actually eclipse that mark and wipe a triple digit number from the backlog.

zkylon

zkylewd
It wasn't me, he was talking about you in that one time.

lol what did i do?

If you ask me the game has exactly the same scope as Skyrim. I can't fathom any reason other than the engine being garbage. You'd think that using the same engine all these years would let them polish out a lot of the jank, but no. It is bad enough that Bethesda doesn't really understand Fallout beyond re-purposing its visual aesthetic.
yeah, i think that fo4 itself is getting into inexcusable territory with its jank

witcha3 set the standard for what a streamlined open world rpg is. you need that level of quality and smoothness if you're not gonna have new vegas-like reactivity and rpg mechanics

from what i played fo4 is in the middle of both in that it doesn't do anything particularly well

i still wanna play more cos the core beth thing is kind of fun specially when it's set in the world of fallout (or beth's twisted version of it) but i don't think this is such a good game heh

tuxfool

Banned
lol what did i do?

yeah, i think that fo4 itself is getting into inexcusable territory with its jank

witcha3 set the standard for what a streamlined open world rpg is. you need that level of quality and smoothness if you're not gonna have new vegas-like reactivity and rpg mechanics

from what i played fo4 is in the middle of both in that it doesn't do anything particularly well

i still wanna play more cos the core beth thing is kind of fun specially when it's set in the world of fallout (or beth's twisted version of it) but i don't think this is such a good game heh

It is like they don't know what to do with it. They replaced dialogue with a poor facsimile of the Bioware wheel, not realising what they had before made them unique. There are very few truly good and well acted characters. The models themselves sometimes look almost as lifeless as the mannequins strewn around Boston.

I wonder where we'd be if Bethesda would have just called this game Garbage Man Simulator 2877. Clearly it is what most people want out of Fallout.

zkylon

zkylewd
It is like they don't know what to do with it. They replaced dialogue with a poor facsimile of the Bioware wheel, not realising what they had before made them unique. There are very few truly good and well acted characters. The models themselves sometimes look almost as lifeless as the mannequins strewn around Boston.

I wonder where we'd be if Bethesda would have just called this game Garbage Man Simulator 2877. Clearly it is what most people want out of Fallout.
i think the models look pretty alright, even tho i don't like the designs. i do think the voiceacting has been mediocre except for main character

the thing that i found really jarring is that it felt like the game had gotten a new coat of oblivion paint on top of it

first the dialogue choices i got were inconsequential (the infamous "sarcastic" option and just how there seemed to be no real flow in dialogue since every single time you could choose whatever you want and effectively go 180 on your personality), but also that i finish up that first quest and mr minuteman dude tells me i'm not one of the minutemen

even tho i told him no thanks, i fight my own battles, whatever, he didn't give a shit, here have this quest to save a random settlement

similarly the crazy lady tells me that i'm chosen one by destiny or whatever. i tell her lady i don't believe in your shit and she's like "you may no believe me, but you will listen to my crap anyways"

it's like, i'm a few hours into the game and i'm already feeling that oblivion-like feeling that this is not a real world and just a list of quest lines to follow for no other reason that they're there. i'm not gonna roleplay as anything because there's no motivation here, there's just a long list of possible stuff to do and you do it if you want to, that's it

i'm making conclusions that i shouldn't from so few hours of play, i'm most def gonna marathon this thing for like 6 hours tomorrow but i dunno, i kind of really liked the intro but then it was over before i knew it and everything after that has been less appealing to me than any other beth game i've played so far

zkylon

zkylewd
really tempted to grab grim for me and a couple of my friends from humble store

did they ever fix anything or is the game playable at least?

also does anyone know if it's multi-language?

we all grew up with the spanish version of grim and it's kind of super weird to hear manny talk in anything but a strong spain accent

I cannot wait to see new tressfx on the PC. Digital foundry was saying the version on the Xbox One fixed some of the sillier issues present in the first game.

Teggy

I cannot wait to see new tressfx on the PC. Digital foundry was saying the version on the Xbox One fixed some of the sillier issues present in the first game.

Yeah the hair is really nice in TR. It occasionally looks a little overly fluffy, but none of the distracting anti-gravity weirdness from the original PC release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom