• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Don't know why people are celebrating a major franchise collapsing like it's some kind of win or will result in more or different games getting developed to take its place. Strange take on things some people have.

Eh, people don't like things they don't like seeing success I guess?

I admit I feel Ubi deserve some comeuppance after they have screwed up the franchise so badly, used to be one of my favs, and they ruined it.

Parsnip

Eh. First month sales, more like first week sales (it released on the 23rd).
It will recover after the good word of mouth and I'm sure we'll get another one next year. I mean whatever the next one is has already been in development for at least a year anyway, they won't shut it down now.

Put down your shovels, you can't bury Assassin's Creed just yet.

The last gen titles, IV included, all end up at about a fiver each, but a bundle would probably include the newer ones now, wouldn't it?
Humble Assassin Bundle

PWYW
  • AssCreed 1
  • AssCreed 2
BTA
  • AssCreed Brotherhood
  • AssCreed Revelations
  • AssCreed 3
Tier 3
  • AssCreed Blackflag
  • AssCreed Rogue
Believe!

Dsyndrome

About the only franchise deader than dead this year is The Order. Bayo's gonna need a love project or something, don't see it going Kickstarter.

AC will be around for more, along with Watch Dogs. Maybe someday I'll catch back up to where they're at, the combo of Rogue/Unity hit me off-guard though.

Eh, people don't like things they don't like seeing success I guess?

I admit I feel Ubi deserve some comeuppance after they have screwed up the franchise so badly, used to be one of my favs, and they ruined it.

I guess. And if the franchise isn't appealing to people for whatever reason it doesn't deserve sales. But to celebrate it? More likely than not, AC collapsing would mean some layoffs and additional risk management.

But whatever floats people's boats I guess.

Don't know why people are celebrating a major franchise collapsing like it's some kind of win or will result in more or different games getting developed to take its place. Strange take on things some people have.

Not really celebrating. Just saying I am not surprised. However I am surprised it managed to keep going this long without a dip in sales.

Caerith

I guess. And if the franchise isn't appealing to people for whatever reason it doesn't deserve sales. But to celebrate it? More likely than not, AC collapsing would mean some layoffs and additional risk management.

But whatever floats people's boats I guess.

I don't want to see AC collapse, but I'd like to think that a drop in sales would shake Ubi from their complacency and get them to develop something they care about rather than another lazy reskin.

Lomax

Humble Assassin Bundle

$1
  • AssCreed 1
  • AssCreed 3
BTA
  • AssCreed Brotherhood
  • AssCreed Revelations
  • AssCreed 2
$15
  • AssCreed Blackflag
  • AssCreed 3 DLC
Believe!

FTFY. Second week additions would more be DLC and Liberation. I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't seen this bundle already, it seems inevitable. All uPlay only of course.

Lots of the main line development houses have chopped their production of more interesting stuff in order to crank out annual installments of a couple of franchises. I think most people feel like that's bad for the industry, certainly in terms of the advancement of the medium. One of the tentpole franchises dropping off severely might be a sign that the market is shifting, and lead to some of those resources being put back into more mid-budget games which basically don't exist any more. Now, ubi at least does some boutique games still like Child of Light, but how many good studios at Activision do nothing now but Call of Duty map packs? The whole "omg people will lose their jobs" bit is stupid, eventually the industry will collapse on itself at the current rate, if it happens slower and some companies adjust, that will mean less people losing their jobs overall. I don't wish any ill will on Assassin's Creed or even Call of Duty, but their absolute dominance of the industry is something that needs to die as soon as possible.

Deitus

I've never played an AssCreed game and despite all the "hate" the series gets, I'm highly interested and looking forward to playing the whole franchise from start to finish. Shrugs

They're not really bad games, at least not compared to other open world games. I mean the combat is pretty shallow and the mission design isn't great, but the same applies to most other AAA open world games.

The big problem is that there are just so damn many of them, and after 2, they don't really change enough from game to game. I mean sure, they're each set in new locations, and they add new weapons and tools each time, but it really just feels like more of the same, and the new additions at best make an easy game easier, but more often feel entirely pointless (did anyone actually make use of the bombs in Revelation, despite there being an entire crafting system around them?).

I was enjoying playing through one game a year for a while, as a low investment open world checklist game. I found the games relaxing to just be in the world in, when I didn't have the energy to really invest in a game. But even then, I felt the fatigue (and the half-assed conclusion to the story in 3 didn't help). I can't imagine trying to play through the series back to back. Don't do that to yourself.

If you do want to play the games, I'd stick with the first 3 (1, 2, and Brotherhood). 1 is kind of rough, and there's a ton of pointless filler, but I like that it shows the promise for what the series could have been if it went down a different path. 2 was a solid game in that it turn the series into Renaissance-era GTA with parkuor, but I enjoyed it, and Ezio is a great main character. Brotherhood was more of the same from 2, but I enjoyed it well enough, and it added a gang management system that I enjoyed.

Revelations offered a satisfying conclusion to Ezio's storyline, but all in all it felt like a filler episode, and literally nothing happened in the present day story line. That was the game where he fatigue really set in.

AC3 just didn't do anything for me. The cities were bland, and the wilderness areas were not fun to explore. Plus the story was terrible, but it was the conclusion to the main present day story in the series up to that point (just youtube if if you played the first few games and want to know how it ends, but it's a really bad ending).

From there on, there is basically nothing connecting game to game except that they all have assassins and templars and you kill dudes. All of the games from 4 on are completely self-contained, so there is no reason to play them all. I guess play 4 if you like boats. I kind of want to play Syndicate when it gets cheap, just because it's been a while, but I have no intention of playing through the rest of the games I missed (4 and on).

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want the series to die off. I do want the sales to dip enough for Ubisoft to maybe take a couple years off, and re-evaluate the series, so they can make a new one with a little more innovation.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

DungeonRift -- MB-768940B8DB2E49B6 - Taken by Tesseract
Wonky Pigeon -- MB-9631775F3CF7F214 - Taken by madjoki
This is a game where you poo on people
Beyond Humanity -- MB-38F56E61C1DD15D1 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo
Sorry, this may be taken, Steam is being weird

It might lead to non-annual Assassin's Creeds in the future.
Which could be a good thing for the franchise.

Tenrius

Just remembered it's been 1.5 years since Kentucky Route Zero Act III. It really looks like a geometrical progression so far :/

0f6d1442c9.png

Assassins creed was never an outstanding series in my opinion. It was subpar and the combat was terrible.

Of course, I only played AC2, a bit of AC3 and the psp version (I quit that midway) so I might not know how it changed later. Still, I wasn't impressed with what I played of it. At least it had better combat than witcher 1. (except for the psp version)

Grief.exe

I kind of want to check out Unity from a graphical showpiece perspective, but I have plenty of games to play that do interest me mechanically. I also tend to ignore games with layered DRM.

So this is a bit of a random question but do the offline playtime get added to the online total playtime?

No. I played Fallout 4 for about 10 hours via the VPN unlocker trick. When it unlocks in my region, my offline playtime doesn't added to the current stats.
It also made me curious, can people just buy & finish games in offline mode and refund them later?

rtcn63

We get it Salsa, you go to concerts and smoke doobies with the cool kids downtown.

I've never been to a concert my life is a sham.

jediyoshi

Just remembered it's been 1.5 years since Kentucky Route Zero Act III. It really looks like a geometrical progression so far :/

Looked it up for reference

January 7, 2013 (Act I)
May 31, 2013 (Act II)
May 6, 2014 (Act III)

That second tweet is a pretty gross way of handling people concerned about a product they bought, it's the devs' own job to set expectations.

We get it Salsa, you go to concerts and smoke doobies with the cool kids downtown.

I've never been to a concert my life is a sham.
neither have I, but I don't care much about stuff like concerts or music! Sports and video games were all I need.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Looked it up for reference

January 7, 2013 (Act I)
May 31, 2013 (Act II)
May 6, 2014 (Act III)

That second tweet is a pretty gross way of handling people concerned about a product they bought, it's the devs' own job to set expectations.

There were also mini-episodes launched between all of those, the most recent one had a fairly involved meta-layer of real phones containing hobby boards being auctioned off as 'haunted' phones. There's more going on to the project than just the release dates to specific episodes.

I know I've been feeling a bit frustrated with how long it's been since the last mini-episode "Here and There Along the Echo", a little over a year now, but I can't say it has hurt my enthusiasm for the game one bit. The jump in quality, complexity and quantity of content in each consecutive episode has proven to players that the time is being extremely well invested. The game is something special, and I feel that the devs not being beholden to anyone but their own schedules is to thank for this.

zkylon

zkylewd
neither have I, but I don't care much about stuff like concerts or music! Sports and video games were all I need.

everyone knows those are mutually exclusive :>

my concert stack isn't too huge, probably around 15?

it's an awesome thing to do in life, i'm not one to mosh like a crazyperson but i do find the whole concert thing very cathartic and fun. i like singing on the train and karaoke and crap so being able to sing my lungs out is something i very much appreciate

at least for the kind of thing i like going to

Dsyndrome

Honey badgers are some bullshit in Wasteland 2. One of the sidequests has you go save some miners, and there's these critters littering the way to get them out.

These SOB's are harder than everything else in the game up to this point, and at the end of the stupid mine, there's six of them with 150 HP each that can kill your people in two hits.

I've survived up to this point thanks to Manglers and RPG's, those unfortunately are out. Fuck these honey badgers.

rtcn63

Honey badgers are some bullshit in Wasteland 2. One of the sidequests has you go save some miners, and there's these critters littering the way to get them out.

These SOB's are harder than everything else in the game up to this point, and at the end of the stupid mine, there's six of them with 150 HP each that can kill your people in two hits.

I've survived up to this point thanks to Manglers and RPG's, those unfortunately are out. Fuck these honey badgers.

I had to do that multiple times because the NPC kept dying. The combat when I played it was so unbalanced. If I had to do it over, it'd be assault rifles and melee as primaries for everyone.

Degica rep said it's one of their best launches yet.
Great stuff and good to hear!

Can't be sure yet but at least two of the factions in Fallout 4 are completely at odds with each other so like some reviews mention it seems you can actually be locked out of content unlike with Skyrim. Neat!

Do you have anyone with animal whisperer? If not try to head to the railroad tracks and recruit Ralph.

Dsyndrome

Great stuff and good to hear!

Can't be sure yet but at least two of the factions in Fallout 4 are completely at odds with each other so like some reviews mention it seems you can actually be locked out of content unlike with Skyrim. Neat!

Do you have anyone with animal whisperer? If not try to head to the railroad tracks and recruit Ralph.

Pills, Vulture's Cry, and Ralphy all have Animal Whisper.

Chance of success for each:
0% - Impossible.

Honey badgers don't give a fuck.

Dsyndrome

Best to worst I've been to: Godsmack, Tool, Goo Goo Dolls, Steve Miller Band, Hanson.
--------------------
Can't help but think about Aaron Greenberg's calculation being so off releasing Tomb Raider the same day as Fallout 4. That choice along with not at least releasing the same time on PC are gonna hurt pretty bad; I know I'd be playing now if it was on Steam.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I got tickets but I don't feel like getting up and taking pictures.

-Hatsune Miku's US Debut
-Masters of Metal (Starring Testament, Motorhead, Heaven and Hell (RIP Dio), and Judas Priest.)
-Slipknot concert from forever ago no ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom