• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

The cool thing about Disgaea, apart from if it sells wells we get more Disagea on Steam, is that it could finally get NIS to bring the rest of their games as well. I'd love Makai Kingdoms, Soul Cradle, Z.H.P., the Prinny Games, the Witch game, The Guided Fate Paradox/The Awakened Fate Ultimatum games and some of their weird adventure games or the new mystery/horror one Yomawari. They could even bring forth Phantom Brave for those weirdos that like it.

louiedog

Amazon US is selling an Alienware Alpha with i3 and 4 GB DDR3 for $190. Not an amazing gaming machine, but great deal on a fairly powerful secondary/streaming box.

link

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The cool thing about Disgaea, apart from if it sells wells we get more Disagea on Steam, is that it could finally get NIS to bring the rest of their games as well. I'd love Makai Kingdoms, Soul Cradle, Z.H.P., the Prinny Games, the Witch game, The Guided Fate Paradox/The Awakened Fate Ultimatum games and some of their weird adventure games or the new mystery/horror one Yomawari. They could even bring forth Phantom Brave for those weirdos that like it.

They should bring ZHP next.

Its not about "truly believing its legitimate" or "shifting blame and responsability". Stolen shit gets taken back. Thats it. They aren't charging you with a crime. The people who mistakenly bought from thieves can take legal action against them.

That source talks about commercial law. I can't say I'm very familiar with US law, but I'm pretty sure if you actually want a source on this you will have to check criminal law.

Saying keys shouldnt be deactivated is outright insane and it would only result in a wild west situation where douchebaf thieves could keep on selling stolen keys without repercussions.

There are many misnomers or mistakes in what you've said here it would take an hour to properly respond in full length.

But in short, commercial codes are laws that regulate the sale of goods.

Criminal codes are when the government wants to deprive you of your freedom. Yes the criminal law is something people who make fraudulant purchases might have to answer for. But it is wholly irrelevant when we're talking about the rights of the third party purchaser, or even some legal rights of someone who does the fraudulent purchase in the first place.

I understand that not everyone is a legal expert, which is why I might write in detail about this issue. But most importantly I want to stress that I did not say keys should never be deactivated. I said they shouldn't always be deactivated and companies should account for their actions. And as you said the consumer can go after the person who sold the stolen product. That is true and that remains true regardless of whether the key is deactivated. And the company can too.

I am curious what country you live in and perhaps I can get a specific source for your region.

Hero Prinny liks it, and you don't mess up with Hero Prinny XD

Ok xD

If you have to ask...

I never heard of that game before

A thousand year old loli that looks 8 wearing a bikini. If you into that enjoy the game.

lol

Apparently if you like grinding it's the series for you?

Nowadays I don't know if I still have the will to grind in games

It's a tactic / strategic RPG that you can play "normally" and enjoy a very tasteful battle system, with nice level ups, skills and more, a lot of different characters / jobs, etc. You can easily finish it this way and have a couple of laughs for the nonsense story.

But the real fun starts when you understand what you can achieve "breaking" it. It asks to be broken!

Sounds interesting

Numbers.
Tenpei Sato.
Nin nin nin.

I like numbers
His music sounds nice
Just googled and watched a video about it, I still have no idea.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
playing mass effect downsampled like crazy

OfIumuc.png

based Durante

Tektonic

Here in Australia, practically everything available online is cheaper to buy from an overseas source. As Australian retailers are upset they cannot hold their monopoly, and high prices, they lobbied the government (they donate a lot to the parties) to have GST for all overseas purchases. The limit before GST applied was $1000, as of next year it will be $0. Still, even with a 10% GST, most things will remain cheaper to buy online from overseas. Why? High costs, high wages, high attempted profits.

So, when I go to Steam and a new game costs 59.99 USD (AUD is approx 70US cents, and I cannot pay by AUD) of course I'm going to look at GMG etc

Why can they charge less? Because they are buying from markets that don't have high wages, high costs etc. Just as I don't have to buy from Australian retailer (Harvey Norman!), but can go onto eBay and buy from Chinese reseller to get best price, so can GMG etc. They can use different supply chains to purchase keys, even if technically they don't have an agreement. How is this wrong?

Tdlr; if I can use globalization to my advantage and pay less for any item, why should GMG not?

MUnited83

For you.
There are many misnomers or mistakes in what you've said here it would take an hour to properly respond in full length.

But in short, commercial codes are laws that regulate the sale of goods.

Criminal codes are when the government wants to deprive you of your freedom. Yes the criminal law is something people who make fraudulant purchases might have to answer for. But it is wholly irrelevant when we're talking about the rights of the third party purchaser, or even some legal rights of someone who does the fraudulent purchase in the first place.

I understand that not everyone is a legal expert, which is why I might write in detail about this issue. But most importantly I want to stress that I did not say keys should never be deactivated. I said they shouldn't always be deactivated and companies should account for their actions. And as you said the consumer can go after the person who sold the stolen product. That is true and that remains true regardless of whether the key is deactivated. And the company can too.

I am curious what country you live in and perhaps I can get a specific source for your region.
Criminal code isn't "irrelevant" as it can outright nullify that commercial law. The transfer of ownership rights is only vakid if the seller actually had the power to transfer them.

Here you go: http://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/mu...-stolen-property-to-its-owner/comment-page-1/

Criminal code isn't "irrelevant" as it can outright nullify that commercial law. The transfer of ownership rights is only vakid if the seller actually had the power to transfer them.

Here you go: http://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/mu...-stolen-property-to-its-owner/comment-page-1/

Please, your own source goes on to quote my source.

It doesn’t matter whether the pawnbroker acted in good faith. G.S. 25-2-403 is the “good faith purchaser for value” provision of the Uniform Commercial Code, as adopted in North Carolina. It says that a person with a “voidable title” can transfer good title to a bona fide purchaser. But a “voidable” title means a title obtained by a voluntary but fraudulent transfer, like those listed in G.S. 25-2-403(1)(a) – (d), not “title” obtained by outright theft, which is “void.”

https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-403

2-403. Power to Transfer; Good Faith Purchase of Goods; "Entrusting". (do you see 2-403 is even the same exact section numbering as used in the article)

A person with voidable title has power to transfer a good title to a good faithpurchaser for value. When goods have been delivered under a transaction of purchase the purchaser has such power even though

(a) the transferor was deceived as to the identity of the purchaser, or
(b) the delivery was in exchange for a check which is later dishonored, or
(c) it was agreed that the transaction was to be a "cash sale", or
(d) the delivery was procured through fraud punishable as larcenous under the criminal law.

edit:
Furthermore, the criminal code doesn't nullify commercial codes. They operate on completely different planes basically. They work alongside each other, not against each other.

edit2:
Ugh, I also want to point out there is a difference between goods obtained via theft and those obtained via fraud. When a good is stolen, they obtain no title in the good. It is known as void title. When you obtain it through fraud, it is known as voidable title because one or more parties can void the title. The law treats these two scenarios differently. Void title cannot ever be passed on. But voidable title can be passed on when it falls under good faith purchase. So the article is right in that stolen goods then sold to a pawn broker conveys void title and the property belongs to the person it is stolen from. However, our situation is discussing goods obtained through fraud and more importantly - voidable title. Voidable title can pass on good title under the scenario I described involving a good faith purchaser.

Lomax

This is silly. We know Valve deactivates keys found to have been obtained using stolen credit cards. Hell, that was their justification for stronger region locks. Arguing the semantics or pretending to be lawyers isn't going to change that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Green Man Gaming Denies It Sells "Grey Market" Game Keys

We reiterate that we source our keys from a range of over 400 publishers, developers, and distributors to meet customer’s demands on a title by title basis. Let’s be clear here; there is a difference between being an authorised retailer for some titles, and being a retailer selling keys that have been sourced responsibly through authorised third parties with revenue going back to the publisher. If a key unlocks, it is an authentic key.

(Did I do this right lash-senpai?)

diaspora

You're talking about the first one right? If so, I used "Flawless Widescreen" for that and it worked great for me. You just have to run it beforehand then it gives you the extra options.

I have been using Flawless Widescreen. I only get widescreen options only 30-40% of the times when I boot up the game.

This is silly. We know Valve deactivates keys found to have been obtained using stolen credit cards. Hell, that was their justification for stronger region locks. Arguing the semantics or pretending to be lawyers isn't going to change that.

I don't know all the specifics on what we know about Valve and deactivating keys. What I do know is the uniform commercial code which is widely adopted by the states in the US. I also know that the UCC is based primarily on common law which came over from British. I had a quick look into UK law regarding commercial sales and I mean briefly. I only looked at a wiki page that essentially said the same thing as the UCC.

I also know that I am not pretending or arguing over mere semantics. I don't think you're being very respectful.

Tektonic

Doesn't exactly sound like a capital crime.

Problem is, you can't be sure if they were supplied by a distributor looking to meet their quota, or by criminal gang with stolen credit cards

Which is why GMG should be OK, but g2a* is not

* allegedly, because finding actual non-anecdotal info is not easy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Where do these gray market keys come from anyway? Do they just fall off the back of a truck?

Most likely from people like SirJackDaniels

Personally I'm upset to hear about this, because that means they're doing the same thing as sites like cdkeys but telling customers that the keys are legitimate.

From their about page:
We have direct contracts as an official, approved retail partner with every publisher / developer that has a game listed on Green Man Gaming, so our customers can buy with confidence.

I guess one thing they have going for them is that they don't require you to jump through a lot of phone shenanigans to be able to receive the stuff you buy.

Purkake4

Banned
Problem is, you can't be sure if they were supplied by a distributor looking to meet their quota, or by criminal gang with stolen credit cards

Which is why GMG should be OK, but g2a is not
Hmm, yeah, that does sound kind of bad. Just going cross-regional is inevitable, the floodgates can't be closed anymore.

Yay for Disgaea~!
I've invested so much time on the first game I don't think I'll get it soon though.

Play trails in the sky SC, it'll blow away all your RPGs. :)

Someday 7, someday..

I think the biggest improvement in Fallout 4 is how aggressive the enemies are. Ghouls duck and dive all over the place and run super fast, sentry bots are terrifying, Assaultrons act like the Witch from Left from Dead, and so on. And human enemies tend to actually use cover.

Isn't that a good thing?
The enemis are actually challenging now, and I'm having fun with it. I'm dying a lot but I always come back for more. I'm also playing on very hard, so good. :D

Isn't that a good thing?
The enemis are actually challenging now, and I'm having fun with it. I'm dying a lot but I always come back for more. I'm also playing on very hard, so good. :D
It's definitely great, but then you have those weird moments where the AI will take cover against something in the wrong direction and blind fire backwards away from cover and towards you. Silly computers.

Uzzy

Finished Episode 4 of Life is Strange. That whole first half was crushing emotional despair in video game form. Hell, just reading this bit broke me, and things only got worse from there. (And yes, that's a huge spoiler so don't even click the link if you've not played the game, jeez).

One thing I absolutely love about the game is that it lets you appreciate stillness. There's constant opportunities to just sit and reflect and admire the scenery, with beautifully framed shots moving around the area you're in, small nuggets of character insight and lovely soothing music in the background. It's wonderful to see, and I take every opportunity the game gives me to do that. More games should pause and let you reflect on what's going on. I know devs think that we'll get distracted and stop paying attention if there isn't a billion things to do on screen at any one time, with many of them exploding, but it's good to see some games buck that trend.

I was less sure about the second half. Some of the horror aspects felt perhaps a little gratuitous to me, but I'll have to wait and see if they pull it off. Though the general buzz around Episode 5 has me a bit worried about them sticking the landing.

Khronico

Gonna try overclocking my Alienware Alpha i3 and see what kinda gains I can make.

Hopefully I don't break anything, I'm playing it as safe as possible since I have zero experience with this type of thing.

Tektonic

Thing is the key for contry Y costs 15% of the same key in country X, so even if you sell it at 60% off you're making a profit that you're not supposed to as a retailer.

If they have an agreement not to do that sure, but if no such agreeement exists, you'd be a fool not to take advantage of the global market.

MUnited83

For you.
I fail to see how getting keys from legitimate distributors makes them illegitimate at the point of sale.
Well, for one, they outright lie on their site. They say they are officially authorized to sell everything they have. This is a lie and factually wrong. False advertisement is a pretty big issue.

Their "legitimate" distributors ain't very reliable either, since they can't even guarantee which version of the game they are selling to GMG. Their "legitimate" distributors also sold them a bunch of invalid Witcher 3 codes.

Their "legitimate" distributors can't even get enough Battlefront 3 keys on time.

tuxfool

Banned
It's definitely great, but then you have those weird moments where the AI will take cover against something in the wrong direction and blind fire backwards away from cover and towards you. Silly computers.

Yea it's amazing, some of the high tech institute laser guns have lasers that come out in a direction perpendicular from the way they are pointed at.

Finished Episode 4 of Life is Strange. That whole first half was crushing emotional despair in video game form. Hell, just reading this bit broke me, and things only got worse from there. (And yes, that's a huge spoiler so don't even click the link if you've not played the game, jeez).

One thing I absolutely love about the game is that it lets you appreciate stillness. There's constant opportunities to just sit and reflect and admire the scenery, with beautifully framed shots moving around the area you're in, small nuggets of character insight and lovely soothing music in the background. It's wonderful to see, and I take every opportunity the game gives me to do that. More games should pause and let you reflect on what's going on. I know devs think that we'll get distracted and stop paying attention if there isn't a billion things to do on screen at any one time, with many of them exploding, but it's good to see some games buck that trend.

I was less sure about the second half. Some of the horror aspects felt perhaps a little gratuitous to me, but I'll have to wait and see if they pull it off. Though the general buzz around Episode 5 has me a bit worried about them sticking the landing.

Episode 1: What do people see in this game?
Episode 2: Oh, well, that's kinda interesting.
Episode 3: Hey, now we're talking.
Episode 4: Whoa, holy schnikes, where are they going with this?
Episode 5: Welp, that fscking sucked. What did people see in this game again?

Hinomura

There is a Tenchu spiritual successor, but I forgot it's name. it's an indie game that's planned for PS4 and PC.
Oh my, I didn't know! Please, give me a link or something! ^___^

Class of Heroes would be my guess.
CoH? Collectooooors, I got another game to aaadd! :D

Best game of its type on Steam.
It's delightful.
Truth. Even in the brutally extensive PS2 catalog, Disgaea stands as the first tactic / strategic JRPG (if I'm not missing something) which asked the user to exploit it to find another enormous game under its cover which needs probably thousands hours to express itselft to its limits. Heck, I played several hundreds hours and I was still missing a lot of things.
Disgaea was the start of the reborn of S/T JRPGs on PS2 generation, which had a good run in the previous console generation; then a lot of very good similar games sprouted, sadly the western press coverage was severly lacking, since it was focusing just on japanese gazillion sellers and xbox-anything. Usually not gazillion-seller games were ignored or treated in the IGN-GodHand manner. :(

Just got some good news, my brother is upgrading his PC so he's giving me a i5-3570k w/motherboard, a 7970, and 16gb of RAM. Bought to get my upgrade on brehs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom