• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
D18bmKt.png

dat card money tho

Arthea

Actual Definition
"a specialized but profitable corner of the market."

Or is Trails on par with final fantasy and Eder Scrolls? Hell most JRPGs on steam are niche. Including Neptunia. They're profitable with their JRPG fans group.

of course not, nothing can be as mainstream as tES, it's basically embodiment of mainstream. But you actually are saying that any and every JRPG that's not FF is niche, what's not true. Most JRPGs on steam are niche, but Trails isn't one of them, because being of particular genre doesn't make a game niche, even if said genre isn't all that popular, it's still not niche yet. Although it could be getting there, not that I know the future.

I feel like most of the faults was when XSEED didn't announce the game is coming out this soon during their so called "event".

I also think that was a mistake

I keep playing MGSV, stealing and dismantling nukes to see the
hidden ending
, but I think I'm just losing time, no one found a way to unlock it, right?

It's up on YouTube.
The theory is that it won't ever be unlocked because people will continue to keep building nukes. In case you don't already know about it, there's another scene floating around regarding Eli.

I mean yes and no. This is the steam thread so those are the sales were gonna focus on. Though on the other hand I agree would be nice if we knew the entire total across all 3. But still Neptunia beating it out on steam I think is what was the main point. Though granted that is a far cheaper price.

I didn't realize that NeptuniaV is way more cheaper than SC in global price, almost half the price. Both has the exact same price in Rupiah, which is Rp 200k (Nep has a 40% off though). Thus I made the comparison.

The lack of a first week discount really hurt its sales. I got my money today so I bought it along with a bunch of other cheap shit but I can see how the cheap Steam bastards would be put off by that price, even if I agree with you.
Well, I wasn;t expecting it to receive a first week discount after Akiba's trip, and yes, most steam users won't bother buying it anyway unless it was off at a really good discount. :/

Actual Definition
"a specialized but profitable corner of the market."

Or is Trails on par with final fantasy and Eder Scrolls? Hell most JRPGs on steam are niche. Including Neptunia. They're profitable with their JRPG fans group.

I mean yes and no. This is the steam thread so those are the sales were gonna focus on. Though on the other hand I agree would be nice if we knew the entire total across all 3. But still Neptunia beating it out on steam I think is what was the main point. Though granted that is a far cheaper price.

Arthea...Trails is a niche series in the West. Heck, even in Japan it's a niche series.

Well they could afford it going at a cheaper price because they already had most of their sales on consoles. It's a good strategy when you have the means to do it.

Although it would have helped if there was a bundle of sorts for FC+SC

Jawmuncher

Arthea by your definition most of Xseeds library isn't niche. So Senran Kagura and Akibas Trip aren't niche because they play fine.

Ludens

Banned
It's up on YouTube.
The theory is that it won't ever be unlocked because people will continue to keep building nukes. In case you don't already know about it, there's another scene floating around regarding Eli.

Yeah I saw both of them, but I want unlock that ending in-game.

What the fuck did they do with LISA the Joyful?

Feels like a complete step backwards from the greatness of the original game. Had to bail on it half-an-hour in. The QTE moves are annoying as shit, and they're the only way to kill anyone.

Arthea

Arthea by your definition most of Xseeds library isn't niche. So Senran Kagura and Akibas Trip aren't niche because they play fine.
what?
no, they are niche, it's catering to particular taste of small group of people that makes a game niche, not it's budget, or age
Mainstream games are mainstream mostly because they are very accessible, more or less can be played by anyone with minimum effort involved and don't have anything that's unconventional, especially extremely so as games you mention.
Senran Kagura is as embodiment of niche as tES is manistream's.

Arthea

Arthea...Trails is a niche series in the West. Heck, even in Japan it's a niche series.

Well they could afford it going at a cheaper price because they already had most of their sales on consoles. It's a good strategy when you have the means to do it.

Although it would have helped if there was a bundle of sorts for FC+SC

not even going to argue, because all this post made no sense to me, especially part of sales on consoles? what sales? SC never was released in the west on anything before.

Parsnip

Why would anyone argue about Tits with Arthea?
Why would you do that to yourself?

everyone in this thread should change their avatar to saoirse ronan like in spartacus or maybe when they stand on the desks in dead poets society

Way ahead of you.

Did you rike it?
Now go for the others.

Yeah it was pretty great! I am spoiling myself by reading about the
secrets because I am a bit tight on time and most likely just going for the pacifist ending next and holy crap there's tons of secrets. I only did a few like the other ghosts house.

Kinda funny that I only killed two enemies during the game, the first goat thing and Undyne (I think) because I didn't know you could also flee.

not even going to argue, because all this post made no sense to me, especially part of sales on consoles? what sales? SC never was released in the west on anything before.

I was referring to Neptunia games. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Forgot to add @jawmuncher over there >_<

Hektor

Yeah it was pretty great! I am spoiling myself by reading about the
secrets because I am a bit tight on time and most likely just going for the pacifist ending next and holy crap there's tons of secrets. I only did a few like the other ghosts house.

Kinda funny that I only killed two enemies during the game, the first goat thing and Undyne (I think) because I didn't know you could also flee.

Yeah, the ammount of stuff in this game is amazing. You should try to go for the bad ending as well if you get the time to, its... special.

Arthea

so I have this big decision to make, to buy Van Helsing 3 or not, I'm kinda short on money and it's still 7,5€ and I won't be playing it any time soon if ever, but that promise of Final Cut... it is getting to me.
I already decided to wait till winter sale with D4.

Isn't it obvious? Everyone is pumped for a new AssCreed *squeeeeeee*!

are you drunk?
lol

RS4-

Fuck it, might as well finish NV on Steam. I don't remember why I uninstalled, I think I had some gamebreaking glitch that screwed up my progress when I was close to finishing up.

Durante

Yeah, October was totally packed with RPGs. PC gamers, especially RPG fans, are still busy with Hearts of Stone, Wasteland 2, Age of Decadance, Divinity, Zestiria, etc. And if we want to add non-steam factors, there are lots of mmorpgs taking place in October. Tree of Savior, Blade & Soul, Guild Wars 2 are some of the most popular examples.
Yeah, I bought basically all of them, plus obviously SC, Neptunia V and even Mugen Souls (Wtf was I thinking).

But you can't expect everyone to buy tons of games they'll only play in a year (or never :p).

I'm happy to say that the RPG market on Steam, both eastern and western, is saturated right now.

Deques

so I have this big decision to make, to buy Van Helsing 3 or not, I'm kinda short on money and it's still 7,5€ and I won't be playing it any time soon if ever, but that promise of Final Cut... it is getting to me.
I already decided to wait till winter sale with D4.

are you drunk?
lol

It's 50% off now? How did I miss it? I should buy it to get final cut for free

LISA The Painful

LISA the Painful isn't so much a "quirky" RPG as it is unrelentingly grim and depressing. It's also one of the best indie RPGs made in a long, long time.

Coming off as the love child of Earthbound and Dark Souls, LISA puts players into the shoes of a man who has been beaten down so thoroughly that he has virtually nothing left, but still perseveres in order to rescue the only woman in the world. More than any other game in a while, LISA forces you to weigh the consequences of your actions and continue on in the face of nonstop tragedy and tough decisions. Make no mistake - this game will leave you drained by the end of it.

LISA may not be the flashiest RPG out there, but it is a masterwork on how to effectively build tension and uncertainty while utilizing various gameplay elements to the fullest. Every step feels like it could be your last. Enemies will routinely wreck your party, even with planning. Sleeping at a campfire runs the risk of a permanent injury, or worse, one of your companions bailing on you. There is no loyalty between anyone, not even between Brad and Buddy. A choice between chopping your arm off or permanently sacrificing a companion is one of the easier decisions forced upon you. Give something to an innocuous pair of NPCs and an entire village could be wiped out.

Somewhere between the game insinuating that a major character was molested and a decision where I had to choose between sacrificing my current party members or chopping off a minor body part, I had to put the game down and step away for a while. The subject matter is unrelentingly dark, and even the few moments of levity the plot and characters provide aren't really balanced with the grim nature of the world Brad and everyone else inhabit.

The game will flip between moods on a dime - one minute, you're taking part in Russian Roulette that can (and will) cause permadeath for your companions, and the next you're in a village where an amateur magician is asking you to find some playing cards for him. You go from a hilarious wrestling sidequest that riffs on the WWF to a pair of decisions that easily qualify as the darkest moment in the game.

Still, LISA does have moments of humor and amusement. The various companions you meet throughout the world all have quirky backstories and interesting little comments after battles (which makes it all the more difficult at the end of the game, during a certain cutscene). There are interesting and funny little notes written throughout the world, and some of the ambient locations you run across (like a McDonalds parody, where fast food meals are gifted from the "heavens" above) are quite unique.

The battles are pretty straightforward, but do rely on a lot of strategy, especially if you're playing in "Pain Mode" (where you can only use savepoints once). There is a definite degree of strategy, and even with overleveled characters, you still have to figure out the weaknesses of bosses and attempt to counter them. The game also does a great job of encouraging replayability through multiple endings, alternate choices and different party configurations.

Also, there's a really great fast-travel system that allows you to get to one of the main hubs instantly. It's always something I harp on about longer RPGs not having, but it was pulled off very well here.

If there's anything I didn't like in the game, it's the fact that a certain characters that administers the decisions comes off as a bit too "deus ex machina" for my tastes, and some of the bosses either force you to grind or counter them with a really-overpowered companion. I also didn't feel that many of the companions warranted being part of my active party, and they don't do much of consequence after being recruited.

Still, I was more than satisfied after a single playthrough of the game. LISA is a title that will leave you emotionally drained and weighing the consequences of everything that leads up to that final, nihilistic ending.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. Highly recommended.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pineview Drive -- MB-9DF066DCA38C3BFF - Taken by KainXVIII
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut -- MB-092FCFA37FA555E1 - Taken by RS4-

Ludens

Banned
Witcher 3 Expansion crashes everytime in the same spot, when I need to met Olgierd for the first time :S
Is there a workaround?
EDIT:Solved

I ended up buying it. $7.5 is the lowest it has ever been and I have a suspicion they might stop doing proper deals/bundles on the individual games after the expanded version comes out.

Never heard of them =/

Well coupon works and it comes with Nuketown, so I'm pretty happy with that :D

I should say that the customer support person also mentioned that they would update the store page with the Nuketown bonus offer but that hasn't happened yet. So there's still that tiny chance that they could pull a monumental dick move and say that they never promised it when you bought it.

pahamrick

In all seriousness though, I hope the PC version of AC Syndicate is good and people like it that still are into AC.

From what I've seen of the PS4 version it interests me enough that I want to play it, but not quiet enough that I want it day 1.

Doesn't help I still haven't played Rogue, either.

Eila

Trails SC is too expensive. I want to play it sooo bad but I haven't bought it yet because XSEED staff said they'd see if the higher than usual price in the Latin American region was intended.
I've just been playing Isaac Afterbirth instead.

AHA-Lambda

I should say that the customer support person also mentioned that they would update the store page with the Nuketown bonus offer but that hasn't happened yet. So there's still that tiny chance that they could pull a monumental dick move and say that they never promised it when you bought it.

Hope not! But even at that price you're probably still winning even if you need to buy nuketown separately.

From what I've seen of the PS4 version it interests me enough that I want to play it, but not quiet enough that I want it day 1.

Doesn't help I still haven't played Rogue, either.
Well Rogue probably isn't exactly required is it? I hear it's Black Flag 2 more or less.
is that game still not out? ubi still doing that delayed release for PC, huh? that sucks for people wanting it on pc :(

Damn near month delay for the PC version yeah. November 19th knee deep in Fallout 4 fever (9 days after but still.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom