• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Best thing about the Soul Reaver games are the MomaRobotnik threads. I went back to play SR 1 a couple of years ago and took a considerable amount of hassle to get it to play nice wih a modern GPU for essentially a PS1 game. Plus the sound is still fucked (not even Nixxes are infallible).

Knurek

I saw that mentioned on twitter earlier, but there's a few environmental factors that need to be taken into account. The most important one being that they made the unfortunate choice of deciding to launch on the same day that a larger than normal sale went live, ripping a lot of the launch attention towards cheap horror games. It also debuted at $30, which puts it at a slightly higher price point than many of its fellow Japanese games launched at. Those two alone are going to give it a rough opening week. I'm sure once the storefront calms down, we'll see more movement for it.

Also, don't forget we had a few high profile jRPGs releasing recently (Zestiria, Nep3, Type-0), all of which have not left the fans hanging high and dry for a better part of two years.

zkylon

zkylewd
soul reaver was so damn cool back in the day

i tried to play it after buying it on steam but yea those games are not playable today lol

Best thing about the Soul Reaver games are the MomaRobotnik threads. I went back to play SR 1 a couple of years ago and took a considerable amount of hassle to get it to play nice wih a modern GPU for essentially a PS1 game. Plus the sound is still fucked (not even Nixxes are infallible).
Honestly, one of the only reasons I keep my Dreamcast around at this point is for Soul Reaver. I can't really stand the PS1/PC version.

Tizoc

soul reaver was so damn cool back in the day

i tried to play it after buying it on steam but yea those games are not playable today lol

I was able o play SR fine on my Vita last time. I do wish it allowed me to skip cutscenes though.
I mean I like Tony Jay as the elder god but sometimes I just want to explore this gothic world. It's a product of its time though.

Anteater

played soul reaver on the dreamcast i can tell you it's pretty awesome for the 15minutes I've played, everyone likes it too!

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I still need to finish New Vegas and play the earlier Fallouts.

I probably wont buy day 1, but it's going to be tempting.

zkylon

zkylewd
With any luck, you'll be able to buy total conversions of FO4 that cover all the classic Fallouts. (Except NV.)
why would you want to ruin perfectly good games tho

I still need to finish New Vegas and play the earlier Fallouts.

I probably wont buy day 1, but it's going to be tempting.
yes you do. they're all fantastic games

I was able o play SR fine on my Vita last time. I do wish it allowed me to skip cutscenes though.
I mean I like Tony Jay as the elder god but sometimes I just want to explore this gothic world. It's a product of its time though.
i duno i just hate pushing box puzzles

Dr Dogg

i mean, if it's only gonna be background scenery like statue of liberty then yeah, who gives a shit

setting is important to set up other stuff of how the world in general behaves and what sets it apart from other post apoc stories

thats the thing with fallout, fallout actually happens 200 years after the bombs, the thing beth really missed the mark on was that they wrote the fo3 ppl as if no time had ever happened and they were still living in the 50s, which is dumb and misses the point entirely lol

but i think setting matters a lot, stalker wouldn't be stalker if it wasn't for its ukranian roots, same with fallout, the setting feeds into the gameplay and presentation and atmosphere. stalker is a much darker and bleak game than fallout. stalker never feels like there's a society being rebuild, just feels like crazy people where they don't belong risking their life for scraps and that probably says something about the developers which is pretty interesting too.

edit: btw this might be a lot of nonsense i wrote i didnt feel like reaidng it cos fever taking over lol

Hahaha no no it makes sense don't worry.

I mean if a film, games, book, TV show, whatever binds its story to a specific setting and then has a what if scenarios like a post nuclear society trying to rebuild itself then sure it can matter to the potential audience. Though it's more to do with how well incorporated those elements are and how key the might be to the characters motivations. Mad Max for example kind of runs with where we are now rather than where we have been and what has happened. Miller could throw some token winks and nudges to the audience to try and place the setting but would it really add to the setting? Probably not but it's hard to say when an attachment to the series has already been formed.

I get what you're saying regards to games and those using the setting for world building purposes. An AssCreed would just not be the same if it was set in a generick, no name european city. The history, the landmarks, the architecture all of these are kind of like characters in thier own right. You could and you can do a post apocalyptic setting in a generalised setting but the idea of my hypothetical questions I threw out there is that it can work either way (based on a generalised setting or a historical one) but you have to make it matter and not just for set dressing.

dex3108

i mean, if it's only gonna be background scenery like statue of liberty then yeah, who gives a shit

setting is important to set up other stuff of how the world in general behaves and what sets it apart from other post apoc stories

thats the thing with fallout, fallout actually happens 200 years after the bombs, the thing beth really missed the mark on was that they wrote the fo3 ppl as if no time had ever happened and they were still living in the 50s, which is dumb and misses the point entirely lol

but i think setting matters a lot, stalker wouldn't be stalker if it wasn't for its ukranian roots, same with fallout, the setting feeds into the gameplay and presentation and atmosphere. stalker is a much darker and bleak game than fallout. stalker never feels like there's a society being rebuild, just feels like crazy people where they don't belong risking their life for scraps and that probably says something about the developers which is pretty interesting too.

edit: btw this might be a lot of nonsense i wrote i didnt feel like reaidng it cos fever taking over lol

To be honest it is not impossible. People are rebuilding society based on period they lived previously. It would take years until all major damages to heal (nuclear winter, ozone layer to heal...) so if first people go back to surface after 150 years for example world state when payer comes out would be more-less like it is presented in Fallout.

mrgone

Galak-Z is on another level of brutal. I haven't played a game this hard since the NES.

Those sentinels are motherfuckers.

I'm really loving the climb up the learning curve, though - it's a great feeling, getting coordinated with the ship's range of motion and actions.

Thorgal

From the Screenshot thread ;

Looks like Rockstar could make HL3 if Valve won't do it :p

4cGbCsB.jpg

Knurek

My Opera install changed the icon from the beautiful red O to some kind of onahole. :(

When is Vivaldi's going to release?

Pachimari

I hate that good and helpful posters like lashman and Jase got pushed so far by shameful people, to change their posting habits and avatars.
Those two are among the most on-topic, helpful and friendly people who made me enjoy this place.

Kinda sad to see JaseC giving up on the saorise stuff, for a board that prides itself with liberalism and tolerance. some people sure are judgemental as fuck.

Wait, wtf happened?

derFeef

As always, I am giving away an Alan Wake Franchise pack.

ModBot said:
Instructions for derFeef:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Alan Wake Franchise Pack -- MB-2945981F538BDCE4 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 16 entrants total.

t1446381111z1.png

Is Warhammer Vermintide region locked (if bought from Nuuvem). I get the "not available in your country" so used a VPN to bypass that.

I just worry that the game is region-game locked. I am not a great expert at this but from my rather ignorant checking it seems like the game itself isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom