• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

c7sBB9m.png

Hmm..

Just do it.

Zeknurn

Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon may be the worst game title in recent memory but the game itself looks good. I'm always up for some dungeon crawling.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Last week, I reported that Afro Samurai 2: The Revenge of Kuma had been remove from the Playstation Store and has since been removed from Steam. While details surrounding the game’s removal have been mostly sparse, CGMagazine has obtained the answers many have been seeking.

I met with the General Manager of Versus Evil, Steve Escalante during the Montreal International Gaming Summit to ask him about the game’s disappearance. His response was surprisingly candid and inspiringly honest. He said, “The game was a failure. We could not do, in good conscience, volume 2 and volume 3. So we’ve begun the process, it’s been a long process to figure it out because Sony has never really had to do this in this way, but we’re returning all the money. So across the board we’re putting out an apology saying ‘sorry about this.’”

Escalante added, “We’re Versus Evil; a company perspective, from a partnership perspective and now we have to do it from a consumer perspective. So we pulled it down, because we didn’t want to exacerbate it anymore and then we’re refunding the money.”

Escalante also noted “if you look at the reviews, it wasn’t that the game was broken or buggy, people just didn’t like it,” while in our own experiences with the game, we did note several bugs and issues. It could be argued that any game in a broken or buggy state should have never made it to consumers.

However, on the other hand, the fact that Versus Evil made the decision to pull an inferior product from the market and offer people a refund for their purchase (especially through Sony’s marketplace that basically gives you the shaft in every conceivable facet of refund acquisition) shows Versus Evil’s commitment to consumer satisfaction which in today’s game industry is a pretty great thing. It could have been very easy for them to take the money and run, leaving it in the store and in our libraries as a constant reminder of how we’d been fleeced. But the fact that Versus Evil is essentially taking this as a loss so we don’t have to makes their apology more sincere; hopefully they learn from their mistake and commit further to consumer satisfaction.

Tizoc

No surprises here. But i gotta say, i respect what they did. Rather that, than giving in to the pubs.

I don't get why Bethy and Ubisoft would even worry or care about what Kotaku say; people buy their games regardless.
Did any Kotaku article affect the near 2 million purchases of FO4 on Steam?

Violet_0

Banned
sort of random post but Steam seems to have figured out my gaming preferences pretty well
1rPPCUd.png

I was like, wow, that is me. Story rich, atmospheric Tower Defenses are my thing. Talk about niche genre

It's KOEI-TECSHMO, the port will be barely functional and horrifically limited in some way. I want to support Dragon Quest being on PC--my god, I would buy the shit out of ports of 1 through 8--but they couldn't be arsed to make the port of a Vita game run properly on PC.

Sch1sm

That's hella overpriced. The game and season pass have been like $25 together. Also I think it's more because the bundle is more expensive than just buying separate.

Buy everything, you're going to die anyway.

I'd hope that anyone here would have the sense to add them to cart separately. Come on. It's only a $7 difference from your cheap price point. I think it's worth it. ^^

Kriken

That's hella overpriced. The game and season pass have been like $25 together. Also I think it's more because the bundle is more expensive than just buying separate.

I was going to say, I remember buying TEW by itself for cheaper last year, paid $16 last year during Black Friday

Ludens

Banned
If SE wants to do it right, the price of Lightning will be 20€ with a discount. You can find the game for 12€ sealed here from 2014.
Maybe the preorder for LR will start next week with Autumn Sale.

Caerith

I'd rather that than outlets stay/further become simple extensions of PR. What, is critical thought not allowed in gaming?

It is, but at the cost of access. If you want to be invited to events, if you want an advance copy of the game to have time to review it, then you have to play ball. If you want to be critical, you can buy a copy of the game on day 1 like everyone else.

Kotaku isn't the first outlet this has happened to, and Bethesda/Ubisoft aren't the first publishers to do this. It's a pretty crappy arrangement, but it's not going to hurt the publishers to cut access and it does hurt the outlets to lose access, so that's just how it's going to be.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why Aerith skin is missing?
It's very strange, since Cloud asset is here.

Yeah totally weird. They also seemed to go out of their way to explain why this version won't be anything special:

Notes:
  • This version of the game has had no changes or additions made to the story of the original LIGHTNING RETURNS FINAL FANTASY XIII.
  • This game does not support Dolby Digital sound.
  • This version of the game includes some of the downloadable content released for the original.
  • The bonus items originally awarded for having save data from previous games in the series will be awarded in this version regardless of whether there is suitable save data present or not.
  • Includes no functionality linked to Square Enix Members or social networking sites.
  • It is not possible to change the names assigned to chocobos, map markers or schemata.

Ludens

Banned
Yeah totally weird. They also seemed to go out of their way to explain why this version won't be that great:

As I pointed sometime ago, it's also strange seeing here FFX-X-2 assetts.
I said that, if those items would appear on PC version of the game, it could mean a port of FFX-X2 can happen, because Sony partially own FFX and X-2.
Let's see what will happen.

Finally, yeah, it's weird to see a list of things you can't do. But...can chocobo's name be changed on PS3? If so, it's strange a so simple thing doesn't carry on PC.
If not, why SE listed that here?

Anyway, are missing DLC from PS3 skins only or something more?

Sober

It is, but at the cost of access. If you want to be invited to events, if you want an advance copy of the game to have time to review it, then you have to play ball. If you want to be critical, you can buy a copy of the game on day 1 like everyone else.

Kotaku isn't the first outlet this has happened to, and Bethesda/Ubisoft aren't the first publishers to do this. It's a pretty crappy arrangement, but it's not going to hurt the publishers to cut access and it does hurt the outlets to lose access, so that's just how it's going to be.
Major Pub PR is going for YouTubers these days anyway and those are more likely to turn into vapid mouthpieces for hype, so I'd rather take solace in the fact that some press outlets - yes even press for entertainment products - reach the conclusion they should excise themselves from that stupid arrangement for something that benefits evaluation of the industry and artform as a whole.

I'd rather that than outlets stay/further become simple extensions of PR. What, is critical thought not allowed in gaming?

Sure -- critical thought is fine -- but I'm not sure most kotaku articles are capable of such a feat. Here's a few of the links on their front page:
http://kotaku.com/a-lego-halo-ship-that-took-three-years-to-build-1743479598
http://kotaku.com/capcom-just-opened-a-restaurant-in-japan-again-1743479271
http://kotaku.com/inside-japans-newest-all-you-can-eat-kfc-1743474290

If I want gaming news/reviews, I'll stick to outlets/sites that are NOT kotaku.

Time to bust out the 25% off coupons from AW that stack, if you got 'em. Well, you'd think it might go lower during the Autumn sale next week, but then again, since there's no dailies, I'm sure Devolver will dial it back to 25% off or something, so now may indeed be the time, gentlemen.

data

Time to bust out the 25% off coupons from AW that stack, if you got 'em. Well, you'd think it might go lower during the Autumn sale next week, but then again, since there's no dailies, I'm sure Devolver will dial it back to 25% off or something, so now may indeed be the time, gentlemen.

Those were 50% off coupons, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom