• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hahaha no no it makes sense don't worry.

I mean if a film, games, book, TV show, whatever binds its story to a specific setting and then has a what if scenarios like a post nuclear society trying to rebuild itself then sure it can matter to the potential audience. Though it's more to do with how well incorporated those elements are and how key the might be to the characters motivations. Mad Max for example kind of runs with where we are now rather than where we have been and what has happened. Miller could throw some token winks and nudges to the audience to try and place the setting but would it really add to the setting? Probably not but it's hard to say when an attachment to the series has already been formed.

I get what you're saying regards to games and those using the setting for world building purposes. An AssCreed would just not be the same if it was set in a generick, no name european city. The history, the landmarks, the architecture all of these are kind of like characters in thier own right. You could and you can do a post apocalyptic setting in a generalised setting but the idea of my hypothetical questions I threw out there is that it can work either way (based on a generalised setting or a historical one) but you have to make it matter and not just for set dressing.
oh yea you're absolutely right about that, tho i think it pretty much always matters, to different degrees.

fallout has always been a post-post-apoc setting in that it's not about surviving the apocalypse, it's about the rebuilding that happens much later on, which is ppl in fallout 1, 2 and new vegas don't talk like they're from the 50s. they're not talking of the reds or thinking the war is still going on, they're just living their own life a million years after the bombs.

but it's still important to fallout's identity to be set in america, it's one of the reasons slavery and expansionism are such big themes in the series

To be honest it is not impossible. People are rebuilding society based on period they lived previously. It would take years until all major damages to heal (nuclear winter, ozone layer to heal...) so if first people go back to surface after 150 years for example world state when payer comes out would be more-less like it is presented in Fallout.
the problem is that the bombs in the fallout universe weren't dropped in the 50s. bombs were dropped in freaking 2077, for as much beth wants you to believe that the world stuck in time statis for 200 years and then had nukes dropped and waited 200 years and rebuilt in the exact same way that's just unimaginative and dumb

Dr.Acula

Banned
JBA-FS3-P-USBFoot3SwitchPedal-%2B(0).png

That actually looks pretty cool! Is it pretty snappy? I could totally see using it for FPS'.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mystery Giveaway -- MB-C3222B3AE2BF6E34 - Taken by Belgarion. 46 entrants total.

t1446404511z1.png

Grats to whoever wins.

Now that it's been taken, what was it?

It was just Shower with your dad Simulator 2015.

I really did it because I wanted it gone and because everyone would just say it's Bad Rats and be completely wrong.

I just wanted to do a giveaway for once. Sorry for the chaos that ensued by others.

Hehehehehehehe... \o/

ModBot said:
Instructions for WinterDemons:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0 -- MB-98504C383D047E55 - Taken by Benedict. 3 entrants total.
ibb & obb: Best Friends Forever Double Pack -- MB-84BF2A689414CCAB - Taken by GERGiEV. 4 entrants total.
Fingered -- MB-9ED456CBC2F8EBB8 - Taken by rainking187. 6 entrants total.
ThEse GamEs aRe tOtallY noT As TheY seeM. FinGered cOulD be KidnaPPed or oNe of thE oTher GaMEs lisTed hEre. SamE foR ALL gAMES listED. HaVe fuN wiTH thIS TwisTED mYSteRY.
Secret of the Magic Crystals Complete -- MB-51B83B33C76E6E8D - Taken by Chariot. 3 entrants total.
Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015 -- MB-E2E7DF0F45FCE66D - Taken by Henry Swanson. 12 entrants total.
Kidnapped -- MB-13769B631935526F - Taken by dave is ok. 2 entrants total.
Riptide GP2 -- MB-388B1DD6DD6F85D7 - Taken by derExperte. 2 entrants total.

t1446415492z1.png

ThEse GamEs aRe tOtallY noT As TheY seeM. FinGered cOulD be KidnaPPed or oNe of thE oTher GaMEs lisTed hEre. SamE foR ALL gAMES listED. HaVe fuN wiTH thIS TwisTED mYSteRY
The numbers letters, Mason! What do they mean??

Grief.exe

I dislike the premise of mystery giveaways.

I can't enter them because I don't know if I already have the game, thereby stealing it from someone who deserves it, or it might be a game I wouldn't like, thereby stealing it from someone who appreciates it more.

Sorry.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (uncredited male, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

cmWEPrK.png

Mystery Gift #2 -- MB-ABDC8B8F83C0E1A6 - Taken by pantsattack. 15 entrants total.
Mystery Gift -- MB-58A31314F83AED30 - Taken by Madn. 19 entrants total.

t1446491453z1.png

Okay, whoever does the mystery images hats off to you.

I dislike the premise of mystery giveaways.

I can't enter them because I don't know if I already have the game, thereby stealing it from someone who deserves it, or it might be a game I wouldn't like, thereby stealing it from someone who appreciates it more.

I apologize. I would have done a normal giveaway but, I don't think anyone would have taken it otherwise. Just wanted the first giveaway I ever to do to be a little fun, I wasn't expecting this though.

Chariot

Ayyyyy
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chariot, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

l3L0MM1.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-CB0245A85E67DBD8 - Taken by KainXVIII. 12 entrants total.

t1446416152z1.png

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
ModBot said:
I am giving away 20 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

uO6NMdV.png

Mystery Gift #13 -- MB-9E18B1DB464ADA38 - Taken by Dsyndrome. 4 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #12 -- MB-89321D7783910B80 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #11 -- MB-16F5A369E0806FA9 - Taken by Spirited. 4 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #10 -- MB-A7ED0211AB20B9DE - Taken by 73V3N. 1 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #17 -- MB-F40A28B674D1C054 - Taken by ThirtyFour. 1 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #15 -- MB-6DD96808019C9789 - Taken by GERGiEV. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #9 -- MB-3C91D8269DA86007 - Taken by Deques. 1 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #8 -- MB-F19FC4964F08D47C - Taken by KainXVIII. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #7 -- MB-6E10A30A2ABDABFB - Taken by Chariot. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #6 -- MB-4E7C9F87BB36C364 - Taken by Messiah. 1 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #5 -- MB-0662261B18493360 - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #4 -- MB-ECD25E0AF672F067 - Taken by RS4-. 5 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #3 -- MB-463D94CFCA66500D - Taken by zkylon. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #2 -- MB-8273B76DBC5E7867 - Taken by FLD. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #16 -- MB-E4CC29E26A6C0AEE - Taken by ussjtrunks. 1 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #20 -- MB-DC719DE822C9FE18 - Taken by Iron Badger. 3 entrants total.
Mystery Gift -- MB-DC8E0D36D468709C - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #18 -- MB-860065F753C4F4F6 - Taken by Anteater. 3 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #19 -- MB-5727D0B55B14940B - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #14 -- MB-BE63327D2CBF22FB - Taken by The Dear Leader. 1 entrants total.

t1446406432z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom