• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

haha i didn't know angry video game nerd has other short "let's play videos", was watching him play godzilla on the ps4, the dude is genuinely out of touch with modern games, he's confused and complained about getting a PS+ pop up when he tries to access the VS mode and he couldn't even figure out if the game has local MP or not, they then complain about all the tutorial pop ups in the game and other stuff. It's like old man yells at cloud stuff but it's fascinating.

man I wonder what it'd be like if i don't keep up with video games for a decade or two.

Mass Effect 2/3 fit the bill, I guess.
(depending on your definition of JRPG, obviously)

Definitely not. :lol

As for the part of your post I did not quote, it sounds like EviLore should be knocking on your door and an anointing you to your proper place as a moderator at his side. ;)

Hektor

How could anyone seriously argue that Trails games are not niche?

I don't even think there are any mainstream (this is the opposite of niche) JRPGs in the west outside of Final Fantasy.

I could think of Pokemon and the souls series, but thats about it.

mrgone

It was made for all action game fans afterall.

V9QnFSq.jpg

Finally

Dr Dogg

In other new today Warren Spector calls out various games for not taking advantage of the medium, including Uncharted and rustles some feathers to hilarious results.

Durante

If that's the case, all this argument is moot, yes.
but is it really?
If a game is mainstream, I'd argue you should be able to pick, say, 500 people off the street randomly and at least one of them will have heard of it.

Certainly works for CoD, Minecraft and Mario.
Probably works for Final Fantasy and Starcraft.

Certainly doesn't work for Trails.

Jawmuncher

In other new today Warren Spector calls out various games for not taking advantage of the medium, including Uncharted and rustles some feathers to hilarious results.

Don't know why people take what he says seriously. Dude has Epic Mikey 1 & 2 under his belt.

Hektor

He made mickeys epic, so his opinion is obviously worthless, nevermind the other games he made.

€: Jaw, pls. :3

Jawmuncher

He made mickeys epic, so his opinion is obviously worthless, nevermind the other games he made.

I want to argue in a sense that yeah kind of. You can't complain about modern games so easily when that's what you have on offer. Yeah his stuff in the past is great, but that's where it's at the past.

Mario RPGs, Souls games maybe.

"JRPG" category was always a fucked up to me. Some say are mechanics and some say they have to be from Japan.

yeshrug.png

I wouldn't consider the souls games mainstream and not niche yet. And I definitely wouldn't put them in the JRPG category.

Mario RPG are still kind of niche.

I think Durante has the right of it here.

Arthea

If a game is mainstream, I'd argue you should be able to pick, say, 500 people off the street randomly and at least one of them will have heard of it.

Certainly works for CoD, Minecraft and Mario.
Probably works for Final Fantasy and Starcraft.

Certainly doesn't work for Trails.

but that's being popular not mainstream. It's what I'm arguing about right from the beginning.

Ludens

Banned
People cried about lack of bosses in MGSV, just play fobs and hope to meet a cheater: that's a boss battle, good luck throwing him off your base. PC version is the best version, no VAC is the ultimate gift by Konami.

Jawmuncher

Flawed games but ones that had potential.
I do get what you lot mean though.

Yeah not saying they were complete crap or anything, but people take what he says far too serious. Yes he will have cred everlasting from Deus Ex. But what I said I think still counts.
If he's so upset over modern games, how about he leads from example rather than commentary? Though with his teaching position at least maybe he can get his points across in better ways.

So is zkylon the Arthas or Bolvar in this JaseC situation?
People cried about lack of bosses in MGSV, just play fobs and hope to meet a cheater: that's a boss battle, good luck throwing him off your base. PC version is the best version, no VAC is the ultimate gift by Konami.
Konami doesn't care what you do so long as you're engaging with their monetisation schemes the right way.

Nzyme32

Don't know why people take what he says seriously. Dude has Epic Mikey 1 & 2 under his belt.

After Deus Ex, his work pretty much tanked hard, so I also rarely takes what he says these days as anything of massive importance. Besides, it's not like one person is responsible for an entire game, so maybe he get's too much credit for a lot of the older games too

I assume those new measures by them weren't effective?

There really is no point in FOBs. Not like it'll affect you for MGO.

Ozium

Warren Spector, Ken Levine and Hideo Kojima are all egotistical divas who made a good game once and have ridden the coattails ever since.

Pokemon is a good one, forgot about that.

Probably more mainstream than Final Fantasy at this point.

This is true. When random people are naming their dogs Pikachu and have never played the game or watched the show, your franchise isn't niche anymore.

One of the problems for FF is that there really isn't any consistency from game to game. The characters and worlds were just one and done for the longest time. But it had enough recognition that Square made The Spirits Within.

Anteater

it's for the greater good

i actually haven't read jasec's reasoning of why he turned into angry bird (i'm sorry jasec, lol), but i agree he should go back to being saoirse if it means i'll stop being confused about all these saoirse avatars and silly drama from people who don't even contribute in this thread in the first place

I mean it's like watching zkylon being forced to use the shift key

Dr Dogg

Well I get the point of saying Spector is only as good as his last game but he's been part of the organising committee for GDC for nigh on 15 plus years and has regularly talked about game design with some fascinating insight for more than some folks at the studios he's brought up have been working in the industry. On the subject he brings up, how you can have an adaptive and player created narrative only in games as opposed to other media we consume he's kind of already made the cheat sheet in Deus Ex. Not to say that making a strictly linear story is a bad thing but you can do that in television, in books, in a radio play if you want. Most of the mass market ones that do supposedly offer some form of player agency are so flipping binary it's kind of insulting to most people's intelegence. Actually fuck I'm goi g to get some cross over here with the niche conversation!

Grief.exe

What's your reasoning for this? Just curious.

Referring to a genre by its country of origin rather than its content would be the only genre in existence that subscribes to that definition.

Usage in that matter would also be completely arbitrary, what is and what isn't a JRPG at that point? Literally anything made in Japan with some vague RPG mechanics is automatically a JRPG? It's just an absurd way to give something a definition.

Example: Jamaicans start playing country music it is defined as Reggae. The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age isn't a JRPG because it wasn't made in Tokyo?

Ludens

Banned
I assume those new measures by them weren't effective?

There really is no point in FOBs. Not like it'll affect you for MGO.
I like doing fobs. The fact is, all fobs are the same. No variation at all. When you learn to infiltrate a level 45 fob, all fobs will be the same. I just hope Konami will unlock the hidden ending soon, I got a bit bored.

Ozium

mr luchador claims jasec runs a saoirse avatar cult
jasec succumbs to luchador's bullying and changes avatar
people change their own avatars to saoirse
mr luchador created a saoirse avatar cult

shyamalan.jpg

Red Hood

Banned
Warren Spector, Ken Levine and Hideo Kojima are all egotistical divas who made a good game once and have ridden the coattails ever since.

I can't speak for Kojima (never cared for MGS), but he has had many games released to critical acclaim. As for Spector, I'd say Deus Ex counts for 10, it's that good. And Levine does have Thief, System Shock 2 and BioShock under his belt.

FLD

I'm with him. Mechanically and design-wise, the Souls series has more in common with WRPGs than it does with stuff like Final Fantasy or any other traditional JRPGs. Just categorizing any RPG made in Japan as a JRPG isn't particularly helpful or meaningful. I think of it more as "the kind of RPG that originated from" rather than "an RPG made in".

Durante

Referring to a genre by its country of origin rather than its content would be the only genre in existence that subscribes to that definition.

Usage in that matter would also be completely arbitrary, what is and what isn't a JRPG at that point? Literally anything made in Japan with some vague RPG mechanics is automatically a JRPG? It's just an absurd way to give something a definition.
nicegorillasharkhighflpq10.png

I wouldn't consider the souls games mainstream and not niche yet. And I definitely wouldn't put them in the JRPG category.

Mario RPG are still kind of niche.

I think Durante has the right of it here.

Also, it kinda went over my head, but Bowser's Inside Story sold like almost 5 millions. That's not niche.

I did say that "JRPG" is an awkwardly defined term. Some people do consider it a term for certain mechanics etc. I really can't get more solid than that because it is something that I never pay much attention to it unless we are currently discussing.

You need people like Aeana to help you with that.

Souls games are focused mainly on action/combat and while the world and story are present, there aren't really any of the hallmarks you see in games like final fantasy, trails, tales, star ocean, etc.

For me JRPGs have a party and some sort of villain usually. They generally go with some menu/turn based combat, but not always. Just cause it's made something was made in Japan doesn't lump it there for me. I usually categorize by the dominant style/genre a game displays and the souls games just don't fit what I think of when I think JRPG.

zkylon

zkylewd
So is zkylon the Arthas or Bolvar in this JaseC situation?

who what why

jrpg has long not meant japanese rpgs but more like linear combat and story oriented rpgs.

dark souls is more of an action rpg thing

i actually haven't read jasec's reasoning of why he turned into angry bird (i'm sorry jasec, lol), but i agree he should go back to being saoirse if it means i'll stop being confused about all these saoirse avatars and silly drama from people who don't even contribute in this thread in the first place

I mean it's like watching zkylon being forced to use the shift key
the more ppl that switches their avatar, the louder our voice, the sooner everything's back to normal

#bringbacksaoirse
#bringbacksaoirse

You just left this guy out of that list because of his most recent game, didn't you?
damn you payed attention to the troll

we were so close

now he'll make some more really annoying purposedly inflammatory comments!!

While I think people put way too much stock into the opinions of all three of those guys, to say that any of them have only made one good game is being overly dismissive of their accomplishment. All three of them have one game and series that people recognize them for, but they've all worked on wildly different stuff that has largely been pretty good if not great. They've all have made games that were incredibly promising as well the didn't pan out to be what people expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom