• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

well i don't know, i think it's best if jasec goes back to being jasec if he doesn't want to see people renaming themselves to JaseA and JaseB

Dr Dogg

Populous, Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper and Theme Park are my adolescence incarnate. Well that and some nebulous activities the the yoof of Britian get up to.

Red Hood

Banned
I wouldn't consider the souls games mainstream and not niche yet. And I definitely wouldn't put them in the JRPG category.

Mario RPG are still kind of niche.

I think Durante has the right of it here.

It's not mainstream as Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed, but I'd say it's definitely mainstream until a certain point. And thank God for that, it probably means it's financially feasible and thus similar games will be on their way.

No one in their right mind will say a game that sells 2+ million is a niche game. Same with the Mario RPGs. Even though they don't sell as much as their traditional counterparts, they do sell well.

Anteater

you know

i don't know why zestiria even need a a lock on, it doesn't even add anything other than making the camera all fucked up that everyone is complaining about

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
th1ob.jpg

Don't forget its sequel, the modern masterpiece of our times, Invisible War.

Seems there was a mix up and I got the key for Secret of the Magic Crystals instead. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to shower with someone else's dad now.

It was supposed to be mixed up. :p

ThEse GamEs aRe tOtallY noT As TheY seeM. FinGered cOulD be KidnaPPed or oNe of thE oTher GaMEs lisTed hEre. SamE foR ALL gAMES listED. HaVe fuN wiTH thIS TwisTED mYSteRY.

Dsyndrome

What would happen if there was a Witcher-type game with Nep Nep characters and moe and such? Would that be like dividing by zero, or is FFXV already close enough?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of GuardianE, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GuardianE, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition -- MB-75351FF35036AAD9 - Taken by miniDood. 93 entrants total.

t1446420949z1.png

It's not mainstream as Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed, but I'd say it's definitely mainstream until a certain point. And thank God for that, it probably means it's financially feasible and thus similar games will be on their way.

No one in their right mind will say a game that sells 2+ million is a niche game. Same with the Mario RPGs. Even though they don't sell as much as their traditional counterparts, they do sell well.

I wouldn't count 2 million copies as being all that mainstream. Some of the really big indie titles move that kind of volume like Braid. I think that if you just told a person who games causally the name Braid or Dark Souls they wouldn't recognize the title. They may be able to vaguely recall that its a thing they heard about, but a distinct image of said game doesn't appear in their head of what the game is like.

Dr Dogg

So what happens when a Japanese company creates a western inspired role playing game, that is primarily a strategy title, released only on computers but with visual novel elements? Stick that in your pigeon hole and smoke it!

Deitus

What would happen if there was a Witcher-type game with Nep Nep characters and moe and such? Would that be like dividing by zero, or is FFXV already close enough?

Well, if it was actually like Witcher (lots of sex and nudity), it would be banned on GAF for sure.

Hektor

Bioware RPGs are now their own category. It's all about the dialog wheel and romances in those ones.

This genre already has a name, its called Dating-Sim.

I want to argue in a sense that yeah kind of. You can't complain about modern games so easily when that's what you have on offer. Yeah his stuff in the past is great, but that's where it's at the past.

I dont agree with that, everybody, every gamedesigner, moviemaker or musician made a stinker in his life, thats just natural.

I think you should judge people based on the best things they created did rather than the worst.

Jawmuncher

I dont agree with that, everybody, every gamedesigner, moviemaker or musician made a stinker in his life, thats just natural.

I think you should judge people based on the best things they created did rather then the worst.

Even if it was a one hit wonder? I mean I get what you're getting at but you can't just take all of the good without the bad as well. I love kojimas work but I also hate a fair share of it. So I'm not going to take everything he says in just because he made my favorite game of all time.

Deitus

I think you should judge people based on the best things they created did rather then the worst.

I don't think making a bad game disqualifies you from commenting on other games, or the industry at large. I do think that when you make comments about modern games not living up the the potential of the medium, and the only "modern" games (let's say in the last decade for sake of argument) you have made don't do anything for the medium, you might be a little bit of a hypocrite.

That said, Spector isn't necessarily wrong with what he said. I just don't think "reaching the potential the medium" is an important thing for every game to do. It's a great thing when it is done, but not every game needs to strive for that.

jrpg/wrpg shitfest aside; I really want to play around morrowing. The game looks very interesting, but that combat is so fucking weird.

Honestly puts a damp on it.

Jawmuncher

why can't black ops 3 come out tuesday

also good afternoon steamgaf, i just got off work
how are you? what are you playing?

It actually is off that it's coming out on a Tuesday's why release closer to the other big game of the month? Though I guess they're trying to go for people's pay checks since most get paid on Friday.

Uzzy

Video game genres are a real mess, as they're generally separated based on how the player interacts with the game, rather than how they're used in other media, like books, where genre is separated by the nature of the content. Lots of people seem to conflate the two. Doesn't help that we have genres like the JRPG, which mixes mechanics and content together!

It's ripe for academics to get to grips with. One day we'll have someone write a 'the X number of video game genres' book or something, and finally codify the damn thing.

Dr Dogg

What if BLOPs III is actually coming out 4 days early instead of 3 days late. Seeing the ghastly times I get in during the week or how uninterested I am in using my limited free time during the evenings Friday releases, ie the norm over here, have always been awesome for new and anticipated titles. Usually with a bit of negotiation I can get a good chunk of the weekend to commit to them which is not happening with a midweek release full stop.

It's not Saiorise, but it'll do.
#solidarity

(I have a very limited pool of awesome GOG goodie avatars.)
Harsh but fair.
Video game genres are a real mess, as they're generally separated based on how the player interacts with the game, rather than how they're used in other media, like books, where genre is separated by the nature of the content. Lots of people seem to conflate the two. Doesn't help that we have genres like the JRPG, which mixes mechanics and content together!

It's ripe for academics to get to grips with. One day we'll have someone write a 'the X number of video game genres' book or something, and finally codify the damn thing.

RPGs and roguelikes alone will take decades to clear up.

So what happens when a Japanese company creates a western inspired role playing game, that is primarily a strategy title, released only on computers but with visual novel elements? Stick that in your pigeon hole and smoke it!

Isn't that what the Unsung Story Kickstarter game is supposed to be? Its basically Final Fantasy Tactics 2. I don't know what side SRPGs in general fall under. They could got both ways I guess, but I think Chaos: The Battle of Wizards was the first SRPG and it was made by a British guy.

FLD

why can't black ops 3 come out tuesday

also good afternoon steamgaf, i just got off work
how are you? what are you playing?

I'm trying to play Trails SC but, for some reason, a few friends I rarely hear from picked this week-end to suddenly feel like hanging out with me. Work on your goddamn timing, people!

Dsyndrome

Isn't that what the Unsung Story Kickstarter game is supposed to be? Its basically Final Fantasy Tactics 2. I don't know what side SRPGs in general fall under. They could got both ways I guess, but I think Chaos: The Battle of Wizards was the first SRPG and it was made by a British guy.

I've got some news for you about Unsung Story...
Sadness

I know you said suppose, but they're not hitting that wicket anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom