• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
D7VGos2.png

Lol that's great!

I don't recognise my posts anymore. Feels weird, man.
Isn't that what the Unsung Story Kickstarter game is supposed to be? Its basically Final Fantasy Tactics 2. I don't know what side SRPGs in general fall under. They could got both ways I guess, but I think Chaos: The Battle of Wizards was the first SRPG and it was made by a British guy.

It's going to be a free-to-play(?) pvp game now. Yeah.

See this for more info:
I've got some news for you about Unsung Story...
Sadness

I know you said suppose, but they're not hitting that wicket anytime soon.

Uzzy

Of course just forcing the literature genres onto video games wouldn't help matters much at all. For example Tragedy would include games like Transistor, Shadow of the Colossus and Knights of the Old Republic 2. Comedy would have Borderlands and Monkey Island. Action would have Call of Duty and Bayonetta. That wouldn't be a particularly helpful set of categories to use.

~Kinggi~

Banned
ima say something crazy but after having just played about 4 hrs of Arkham Knight for the first time on 770 2gb, 4770 and 16 ram, that looked and played phenomenally better than the horrid shitshow i was expecting. Only thing i noticed is the rain effects still seem borked on the batmobile but other than that, capping the game at 30 fps and having everything set to normal worked out well for my pc. Glad im able to enjoy it. Hopefully it doesnt go to shit. But yeah there are a lot of fancy camera moves that game does, pretty impressive.

Of course just forcing the literature genres onto video games wouldn't help matters much at all. For example Tragedy would include games like Transistor, Shadow of the Colossus and Knights of the Old Republic 2. Comedy would have Borderlands and Monkey Island. Action would have Call of Duty and Bayonetta. That wouldn't be a particularly helpful set of categories to use.

The question to ask is, should games be categorised by gameplay, content, both, or something else entirely? Because, personally, when I recommend games I do so based on content as much as gameplay, leading to curveball suggestions like "if you enjoy the Witcher, try TellTale's TWD" due to their engaging storylines, but not at all due to gameplay similarities. But if it's about, say 4X games, then I would recommend things much more strictly within that genre.

What we need are dynamic genres. Maybe a supercomputer could keep track of everything and keep it in line.

ima say something crazy but after having just played about 4 hrs of Arkham Knight for the first time on 770 2gb, 4770 and 16 ram, that looked and played phenomenally better than the horrid shitshow i was expecting. Only thing i noticed is the rain effects still seem borked on the batmobile but other than that, capping the game at 30 fps and having everything set to normal worked out well for my pc. Glad im able to enjoy it. Hopefully it doesnt go to shit. But yeah there are a lot of fancy camera moves that game does, pretty impressive.

Performance gets worse as you progress in the story. They might have fixed some of it, but there are definitely people reporting progress-related performance issues even with the new version.

It's the ultimate Baman riddle.

Chariot

The question to ask is, should games be categorised by gameplay, content, both, or something else entirely? Because, personally, when I recommend games I do so based on content as much as gameplay, leading to curveball suggestions like "if you enjoy the Witcher, try TellTale's TWD" due to their engaging storylines, but not at all due to gameplay similarities. But if it's about, say 4X games, then I would recommend things much more strictly within that genre.

What we need are dynamic genres. Maybe a supercomputer could keep track of everything and keep it in line.
In my view tags are the best compromise. For a even better solution have weighed tags like on metagamer score. At least better than making new genres up as if we're rock music.

In my view tags are the best compromise. For a even better solution have weighed tags like on metagamer score. At least better than making new genres up as if we're rock music.

Tags could be the basis for dynamic genres. RPG weighted more highly than open world? Bam, JRPG. Roguelike elements with minimal weight? Bam, Roguelike. The best part is, the view point will settle the shooter-side questions.

It's brilliant.

It's seemingly random as to what performance people get with this game. But you sound fortunate, so enjoy

How does steam at home streaming work? Does it use the graphics of my PC when im streaming to my laptop? Do I need both on at the same time?

I've got some news for you about Unsung Story...
Sadness

I know you said suppose, but they're not hitting that wicket anytime soon.

I don't recognise my posts anymore. Feels weird, man.

It's going to be a free-to-play(?) pvp game now. Yeah.

See this for more info:

I had seen there were changes to the game, but I didn't know they were that extensive. There's probably some PC only Japanese made SRPG out there. I feel like I've heard of Fire Emblem indie clones. Maybe those are all western made.

oipic

How does steam at home streaming work? Does it use the graphics of my PC when im streaming to my laptop? Do I need both on at the same time?

Yes and yes - the streamed game will be running on your PC, and utilising its hardware for graphics etc. Your laptop will be performing a remote connection to it in order to facilitate this, so yep, the PC will need to be on as well.

Roguelike was actually a pretty well defined genre until Spelunky came out and people started calling it roguelike even when Derek Yu said it wasn't one :p

Missed this before. (New page curse.)

It's pretty crazy that this is the case. I think it's one of the examples of Roguelikes Done Right™ nowadays, due to its razor-focus on skill and knowledge triumphing over the unknown.
I had seen there were changes to the game, but I didn't know they were that extensive. There's probably some PC only Japanese made SRPG out there. I feel like I've heard of Fire Emblem indie clones. Maybe those are all western made.
Yeah, it's slim pickings if you're looking for SRPG-style games on PC. Telepath Tactics and some Early Access games on PC are all I can think of offhand, and I reckon they're all Western-made. One Way Heroics gets a mention from me, not because it's made in Japan, but because it scratches a similar itch, even though it's far removed from the genre.

Nzyme32

Downwell, there is something on games with simple mechanics that are able to catch my attention.

Yeah, Downwell is pretty damn good. Also I've been enjoying Sunless Sea a whole lot. Basically a partially procedurally generated, rogue-lite, lovecraftian, adventure with lots of extremely well written story stuff told throughout. You basically sail around, try to survive the crazyness of the world and build a legacy to survive you should you perish. Lots of weird gods, enemies, places, people and mysteries. Probably one of my favourite games of the past several years, along with Undertale

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Indivisible's prototype got a plug from Iga, of Castlevania fame. You guys really ought to play it, it's really fun: http://indivisiblegame.com/?page=3

It's called Rime Berta. Japanese and PC only, and on sale at its lowest price to boot! Only lasts for 16 hours now, though.

</end shill>

The Physx in Borderlands TPS are some kind of wonky. I got to the Subconscious level and was just standing there getting 60 fps. Then I shoot a bubble and it spikes down to the low 40s.

Yeah, Downwell is pretty damn good. Also I've been enjoying Sunless Sea a whole lot. Basically a partially procedurally generated, rogue-lite, lovecraftian, adventure with lots of extremely well written story stuff told throughout. You basically sail around, try to survive the crazyness of the world and build a legacy to survive you should you perish. Lots of weird gods, enemies, places, people and mysteries. Probably one of my favourite games of the past several years, along with Undertale

I still need to grab Sunless Sea, mostly of the opinions I read about the game were positive. Another game involving ships that I'm also interested is Windward.

Indivisible's prototype got a plug from Iga, of Castlevania fame. You guys really ought to play it, it's really fun: http://indivisiblegame.com/?page=3

It's called Rime Berta. Japanese and PC only, and on sale at its lowest price to boot! Only lasts for 16 hours now, though.

</end shill>

I was mostly trying to make a counter point. Thanks for the help though!

I still need to grab Sunless Sea, mostly of the opinions I read about the game were positive. Another game involving ships that I'm also interested is Windward.

It might be in the Humble Monthly Bundle.

Parsnip

So I played some Batman AK.
It's fun.
Is Catwoman only playable during the Riddler stuff?

Think this is news for Europe at least. You can purchase the Xbox One Wireless Adapter now too Euro-folks. 22,99€ + free shipping.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ahtlosadapter-für-Windows/productID.325700100

I've already pre-ordered mine from a Finnish retailer.
But the Finnish xbox.com doesn't even list the thing yet, so I'm wondering what kind of release date we are going to have. Hopefully not almost a year later like the console.

The king of sailing games? World of Warships.

I've been lost at sea for a couple days now. It's great.
Forgot I bought HMB. Hope it's enough to warrant the purchase.

Brave soul ahead.
So I played some Batman AK.
It's fun.
Is Catwoman only playable during the Riddler stuff?
AFAIK
It's all Batman, all the time except for very specific fights peppered throughout the story, like 3 or 5 in total, where you can swap and combo with an ally. It's garbage and I don't even think they're playable in challenge maps.

Lomax

It might be in the Humble Monthly Bundle.

You're the second person that has said that today, but I've yet to find any real indication as to why that rumor is going around now. The lantern doesn't resemble Sunless Sea and the most recent hint is clearly a boombox which doesn't match it either. Was there another leak I didn't hear about?

Parsnip

AFAIK
It's all Batman, all the time except for very specific fights peppered throughout the story, like 3 or 5 in total, where you can swap and combo with an ally. It's garbage and I don't even think they're playable in challenge maps.
Oh poop. That kind of sucks.

So I just spent time regaining access to my Flickr account to post a fairly awesome landscape screenshot of my modded Skyrim, only to realize that I had the crosshairs enabled at the time, right in the middle of the screen.

cBj1LTf.png

You're the second person that has said that today, but I've yet to find any real indication as to why that rumor is going around now. The lantern doesn't resemble Sunless Sea and the most recent hint is clearly a boombox which doesn't match it either. Was there another leak I didn't hear about?

The reddit thread from the leak seemed convinced. They're usually on point with this kind of thing, but who knows. Maybe its not part of the bundle or you aren't planning on getting it, but I imagine Sunless Sea will be as cheap if not cheaper during the winter sale I wouldn't pick up now either way unless you're planning on playing it immediately. There's the chance in the next few days it become more clear what the bundles games actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom