• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 1 year clean now lol.
Last ones were gifts so the latest purchase for my own entertainment was on 30th Oct 2014.
One day I will join you brother, one day
after I stop smoking for good too

Playing Axiom Verge at 120 FPS with Ultra Low Motion Blur and the clarity is incredible. I switched to normal 120 FPS just to test the difference and you can tell how much is getting blurred during movement. Such crazy tech and it makes me wish I could play every game at 120 FPS.

It was fun to try to get my eyes to adjust to how "terrible" standard 120 FPS gameplay was, lol. Switching my monitor to 60 FPS mode made it clear how limited even that is.

Hinomura

DLC is a pretty poor excuse for this design, in my opinion. In the screenshot I posted - only two of those games I already own even have any DLC (Civ IV and CKII) and one of the games (Civ IV) I already have all of that game's DLC.

It would even be more useful (for the sake of discoverability) for them to have shown me a whole screen full of CKII DLC mixed in with the few games I didn't own. Netflix has their "recommendation engine" down to such a science that there has been a bounty out for years for someone to come up with a better system. Valve obviously doesn't care.

The argument that "It's good enough - look at how well it works compared to how it used to be" has now past it's expiration point.

I, uh, kinda prefer the old store, even now.

The new/current store has always been a mess of crowdsourced nonsense and recommendations I'll never be interested in, thanks to the ten billion games added to Steam with loose-to-no differentiation between them. (Stemming from the crowdsourced tag system.) And curations... pshaw. They work better as tags, like Framerate Police or PC Port Report, than they do as genuine curations.

Depends. Any impressions of the game?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146008

Snakebird is a PC exclusive (OSX/LIN as well) puzzle games about cute birds shaped like snakes in a cheery, bright world. Both the art style and the score of the game evoke a very touching, peaceful, and beautifully innocent atmosphere.

However, that is nothing but a lie that is surface deep. Once you pass the first few levels which guide you through the mechanics, you are put in a situation where the world map begins to branch out.

It's adorable, isn't it? It's large, but it evokes a very friendly, inviting atmosphere. At first look, this is the kind of game you'd expect to see on your child's iPad or iPod touch, right?

Wrong again. This is just the selection of which of the 9 circles of Hell you'd like to traverse through first is.

The mechanics are fairly simple! You control Snakebirds, moving them around, getting fruit and moving obstacles. Sometimes you get one Snakebird, sometimes you get a few and you have to use them together as teamwork to reach the goal. Once all the fruit is collected, each Snakebird has to get through the colourful portal that opens up to leave the level. Thankfully, there is a button that is an equivalence to a "ctrl+z", undoing your last move.

You will make the Snakebirds die. They will literally quiver in fear as they stare down a pitfall, or a spiked block, or spikes in general. If another Snakebird is in danger, and you switch to your other Snakebird, he will glare you down with the force of a thousand suns. A look full of hate.

The first time I bought this game, I bought it full price. I played it for a while, before nearly tearing my hair out in frustration. I enjoyed a solid 8 hours of gameplay during a week where I had next to no consistent internet - and I hadn't downloaded many other of my games to my new harddrive. By the time I had internet back up reliably, I immediately refunded it. Snakebird had beaten me, beaten me into a bloody pulp. I 3-stock Contra with ease. I've had no issues toppling Miyazaki and co.'s Souls games, nor Bloodborne. Hardcore endgame raiding in MMOs? Been there, done that. Rhythm games? Bring 'em on, I got this. Shmups? I can do it, pass me the arcade stick. Fighting games? I'm slightly better than the average Joe.

Snakebird? Snakebird broke me.

But I just bought it again in the Steam sale! I mean, it's half off, and I've spent time away from it. Maybe the difficulty was routed in me being frustrated by silly, easy puzzles?

Nope.

Snakebird was, and continues to be, ballbustingly hard. I'm tearing my hair out here. Once I finally think I have the level beaten, I realize that there is no way for me to get both of my Snakebirds to the portal, or I've trapped myself to a point where I can't get that last piece of fruit so easily...

Anyways, I'm going back to playing Snakebird until I have a stroke or brain hemorrhage. You should play it too.

It's 50% off during the Autumn Steam Sale. ($3.49 USD)

It has trading cards, a badge, cloud save support, controller support, and a 98% positive Steam rating (where essentially all of them praise the game for it's aesthetic and deadly difficulty!).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I, uh, kinda prefer the old store, even now.

The new/current store has always been a mess of crowdsourced nonsense and recommendations I'll never be interested in, thanks to the ten billion games added to Steam with loose-to-no differentiation between them. (Stemming from the crowdsourced tag system.) And curations... pshaw. They work better as tags, like Framerate Police or PC Port Report, than they do as genuine curations.

The previous store (v5) lasted from April 2010 to October 2014. So maybe in another 4 years or so we'll see another store update.

EwUBOBd.png

I agree that the old store excelled in a lot of ways, but given the sheer amount of content on Steam now it was well past time for them to move forward when they did. I guess my argument now is that since the release of content has been nearly exponential even in the past year, so too should their efforts be in maintaining good discoverability.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I had a feeling that was the case when they said you'd get a discount but that the discount wouldn't affect the seller. It's not like Valve is going to give you 33% off a $100 CS:GO knife while still giving the seller their full cut.

because fo3 is a bad video game.

Yeah, FO3 was decent, and at the time, it kicked ass.

Then New Vegas came along and showed us how 100% had we had been.New Vegas fucking excels in every single way to a ridiculous degree. Very few games in life come along and completely hate-fuck its predecessor into oblivion, but New Vegas just destroys Fallout 3.

jshackles

I was looking at The Elder Scrolls Online and apparently they are having a "Black Fredas" sale
lol
on their in-game shop.

$23.99 gets you 5,500 "crowns" which is exactly the right amount you need to purchase both the Imperial City and the Orsinium Expansion Packs.

They're also selling a limited edition 1-per-account bundle now through Dec 1 for 1,900 crowns. This bundle will include the following items:
  • Green Narsis Guar Mount
  • 10 Crown Experience Scrolls
  • 10 Crown Riding Speed Lessons
  • 10 Crown Riding Capacity Lessons
  • 10 Crown Fortifying Meals
  • 10 Crown Soul Gems
  • 50 Crown Tri-Restoration Potions

Flandy

I was looking at The Elder Scrolls Online and apparently they are having a "Black Fredas" sale
lol
on their in-game shop.

$23.99 gets you 5,500 "crowns" which is exactly the right amount you need to purchase both the Imperial City and the Orsinium Expansion Packs.

They're also selling a limited edition 1-per-account bundle now through Dec 1 for 1,900 crowns. This bundle will include the following items:
  • Green Narsis Guar Mount
  • 10 Crown Experience Scrolls
  • 10 Crown Riding Speed Lessons
  • 10 Crown Riding Capacity Lessons
  • 10 Crown Fortifying Meals
  • 10 Crown Soul Gems
  • 50 Crown Tri-Restoration Potions

Guess I should get the expansions if I pick it up?

It took me 3 fucking hours to beat the first boss of bloodborne and it has been so far the most unfun souls experience i've ever had.

The way the game plays really does not suit my playstyle.
The camera is goddamn terrible.
I have a really hard time reading enemy attack patterns
The camera is goddamn terrible.
Too muche enemy it's like the worst parts of DS2
And The camera is goddamn terrible.

The camera is pretty much the same as the Souls games.

The first boss of Bloodborne is no joke (assuming you're talking about the first story boss and not the first optional boss).

You also need to learn to use the health regain mechanic.
Defensive doesn't work in this game unless you're good at dodging attacks.

Phinor

Jesus fuck 1 billion.
I remember playing Crossfire once. It's a f2p CS clone. At a least play something original like GunZ :(

I remember playing Crossfire once as well. In fact I ran a local server for a while, created a bunch of content too. The game looked a bit like this, with less graphics because this is a screenshot from a much newer version:

crossfire.gif

Crossfire was great and probably still is. I wonder if there's a modern game that has at least most of the core features of Crossfire.

jshackles

Guess I should get the expansions if I pick it up?

I think they're pretty highly regarded, although the Imperial City expansion is mostly PvP stuff (I think). The other has a lot of new singleplayer stuff. Considering you can get the game + both expansions for about $50, I'd say it's worth doing.

What's the install size of ESO, J?

Oh boy. I think it's 38GB from Steam, then you have to run the launcher to get the latest patches from Bethesda. I'm not certain exactly how much you'll need to download directly from the launcher, I assume they occasionally sync those changes to Steam. So at least 38GB?

rtcn63

I had no issue with the first optional boss (who I took on without any weapon upgrades or level increases), and died less than a handful of times against the story boss. What weapon are you using? The axe is totally OP, and I know you can pick up a cleaver or something in that area.

I'm someone who's generally not great at games but Bloodborne wasn't too difficult. You can brute force your way through the harder sections by farming upgrade materials/souls for the most part. Play it two-handed if you want to go DS-style. (I did barring a few early bosses)

And unless you need souls/items, just run past enemies and beeline towards your destination.

Stop you're going to make Messiah go crazy!

Too late.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Beta: This giveaway is a trivia giveaway. In your PM, include BOTH the ModBot code for the game you want AND the answer to the trivia question on the same line separated by a space. Capitalization and punctuation are not important. Here is a visual example of how to format your ModBot PM
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (uncredited male, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

FINAL FANTASY XIII -- MB-41479C844AF85A68 - Taken by TWILT Trivia Question: Vanille and Fang like to what?

Salsa

turns out the view distance slider in Dying Light is some overkill bullshit

turn that shit all the way down and the game runs great without seeing any pop in

game is fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom