• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Lol far cry 4 added as a sale item now kinddr shitty practice after not being on sale on first day

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe it's because I remember having the exact same conversation with people who were shouted down by everyone else for acting overzealous.

You say that like it excuses you from uncouth behaviour, but in truth you'd hardly be the first person who struggles to rise above predisposition and it'd be equally petulant for me to judge you for it. There have been a few "herp derp!" posts in support of your perspective, so let's consider the topic done and dusted.

dex3108

So we are doing spoilers no. So hold your buts this one is big.

Bruce Wayne is BATMAN!!!

ro3tnWn.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
hey salsa would i like dying light

The lack of daily sales gives you the opportunity to explore the sales available at other sites.
You are exploring other sites for better deals? :D
lol touche

I can see why people might not play it. The game hasn't aged all that well - there are a lot of parts that were probably technical marvels for the time (and still are, to an extent), like the seamless transitions between gameplay and FMV videos. There are others (like the cutscene in the ending with Cloud hauling himself and Tifa up a cliff one-handed) that look hilariously bad. I can see why people clamored for a remake for so long.
i think it aged pretty well. granted, those 3d models are hilarious and the translation was pretty wonky but the music and the backgrounds and characters and the story in general is like pure jrpg magic. that game is like a compilation of jrpg timeless scenes, it's fantastic

if you're a fan of jrpgs i think you'd be crazy not to love it

That said, it's still worth playing, no matter what age you are. It can run into "Seinfeld is unfunny" territory, but if you go in pure and ignore the fact that most of what did has been cribbed and stolen ad nauseum, it's still an incredible experience.
first time i heard of this seinfeld thing lol

seinfeld is the best

I don't hate FF7, I just think it's the most overrated game of all time, based on the still massive number of people I still see refer to it as the best game of all time. I do dislike the direction it took the series, but I've come to realize that maybe I just never really liked jRPGs that much, it's just the big three on the SNES transcend the genre (I wasn't overly fond of FF2/4 either).
in general any sort of talk about "best game of all time" is a waste of time as that's a question that doesn't really have a single solid answer

I just feel that the spoiler tag should be used -- properly -- when addressing spoilers. Labelling that as "whining" is as belittling as it is insulting. You can disagree without resorting to responses befitting of a child.
+1

i don't think spoilertags are needed in this case, but it's dumb to make fun of ppl for using them when that's exactly what those things are for

You say that like it excuses you from uncouth behaviour, but in truth you'd hardly be the first person who struggles to rise above predisposition and it'd be equally petulant for me to judge you for it.

Look at it this way. I still give you enough respect to hold a conversation with you and not hold any personal feelings towards the matter one way or the other. Having someone else swear at me barely registers a 0.5 on my anger scale.

We'll wake up tomorrow and have a laugh about this.

Nzyme32

Most of the time, I would agree with that, but let's be honest here. Wherever you go, no matter which board you post on, it's pretty much fair game after release. If it's not in a clearly-marked spoiler thread, expect spoilers. You've clearly been here long enough, and you should know that just as well as I do by now.

Like I've said before, I played the game knowing the twist and didn't lose anything from the experience.

Your misplaced anger is cute, though. Points for that.

I did say it nicely, there is no anger involved at all. However that is my reasoning for not playing or watching anything I have spoiled. It just defies the point of attempting it past that point. Totally agree though, you can never prevent such things. Generally it's fairly obvious where not to go if you are avoiding spoilers. At the same time, when someone is asking about a game they haven't played, you don't throw the ending in their face; I think that should be common courtesy

Jazz573

Look at it this way. I still give you enough respect to hold a conversation with you and not hold any personal feelings towards the matter one way or the other. Having someone else swear at me barely registers a 0.5 on my anger scale.

We'll wake up tomorrow and have a laugh about this

No we won't because spoilers are irritating as fuck.
FWIW, I was already aware of Aeris dying.

cyba89

I somehow managed to avoid Fight Club spoilers for over ten years. I watched this movie a few years ago without knowing about the twist.

Dr Dogg

Well I guess it's been a while since we had a silly dust up in here. Then again muggins here is usually involved these days.

i dunno how anyone can hate ff7. it's not without its flaws but it's one of the most memorable rides in videogame history imo

Hate's a strong word, not found of is more apt. Bear in mind 7 was my first trip aboard the FF train thanks to the lack of console RPGs in Europe at the time. One of the games mags at the time, SuperPlay, were bigging up the series to be the second coming of Bill Hicks but it wasn't until 9 that I started to warm to the series.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Well I guess it's been a while since we had a silly dust up in here. Then again muggins here is usually involved these days.

Hate's a strong word, not found of is more apt. Bear in mind 7 was my first trip aboard the FF train thanks to the lack of console RPGs in Europe at the time. One of the games mags at the time, SuperPlay, were bigging up the series to be the second coming of Bill Hicks but it wasn't until 9 that I started to warm to the series.

I love you for this.

I did say it nicely, there is no anger involved at all.

I know. You were trying to do a thing there, but... it didn't work.

I've been spoiled more times on game and movie-related boards by inadvertent postings over the last decade than anything else. It's an inevitable certainty in these parts. Assume that the work you want to see will be spoiled any time you walk into a discussion thread, and use that as a rule of thumb.

JaseC

We'll wake up tomorrow and have a laugh about this.

"Respect" isn't the word I'd use. There is a fine line between disagreeing and asserting one's perspective, and all you -- and a few others -- have done thus far is try to paint me as an "overzealous" idiot. But, whatever, this conversation has just about run its course.

All kidding aside, there's a statute of limitations on murder, there should be a statute of limitations on discussing games, television programs or films that are years, or, in some cases, decades old. You shouldn't have to use spoiler tags when discussing creative works that have been out for years.

Lomax

Funny thing about spoilers is, if you don't cling to the idea of being spoiled, a lot of the time you'll forget it. Like, I remember being spoiled for part of New Vegas earlier this week, but I've forgotten what the spoiler was now. Though I'll probably remember whenever I get to that point of the game.

Jazz573

All kidding aside, there's a statute of limitations on murder, there should be a statute of limitations on discussing games, television programs or films that are years, or, in some cases, decades old. You shouldn't have to use spoiler tags when discussing creative works that have been out for years.

Nope.

Nzyme32

I know. You were trying to do a thing there, but... it didn't work.

I've been spoiled more times on game and movie-related boards by inadvertent postings over the last decade than anything else. It's an inevitable certainty in these parts. Assume that the work you want to see will be spoiled any time you walk into a discussion thread, and use that as a rule of thumb.

And yet as I said, it is only FFVII I've had spoiled in such a stupid manner. I stand by my point, if someone has made it clear they haven't played a game and intend to, you don't throw a key spoiler at them. Of course lots of things get spoiled all the time, I don't particularly care though because it isn't something intentional

"Respect" isn't the word I'd use. There is a fine line between disagreeing and asserting one's perspective and all you -- and a few others -- have done thus far is try to paint me as an "overzealous" idiot. But, whatever, this conversation has just about run its course.

That's par for the course on any board, though. You push a position and see what happens. I know that you know this by now. If I caused any personal misgivings, I apologize.

Don't lump me in with Chris and anyone else who's wronged you. I never implied that you're overzealous.

And yet as I said, it is only FFVII I've had spoiled in such a stupid manner. I stand by my point, if someone has made it clear they haven't played a game and intend to, you don't through a key spoiler at them.

Because it's an incredibly popular game. The one that brought JRPG's to the West. The one that had said death spoiled in the very teaser trailer that preceded it. The one whose big twist is a key component of several sequel works that followed it. A twist that literally pops up in Google if you type "ff7 aeris".

I agree with your point, though.

Jazz573

That's par for the course on any board, though. You push a position and see what happens. I know that you know this by now. If I caused any personal misgivings, I apologize.

Don't lump me in with Chris and anyone else who's wronged you. I never implied that you're overzealous.

How so?

tuxfool

Banned
Funny thing about spoilers is, if you don't cling to the idea of being spoiled, a lot of the time you'll forget it. Like, I remember being spoiled for part of New Vegas earlier this week, but I've forgotten what the spoiler was now. Though I'll probably remember whenever I get to that point of the game.

This is so true. By worrying about such things one is reinforcing the memory that they wish to forget.

Lomax

Common decency and rational thought (two things severely lacking on the internet) can tell you if a spoiler is important or not. No one should still be clinging to rosebud, Luke's parentage, or soylent green (though that movie sucks once it is spoiled). But in a media like video games, where lots of people experience old games for the first time and the exposure level is still expanding, spoilers should be given a lot more consideration, especially in this thread where most of us aren't the type of people to be playing games right after they release. But then, spoilers aren't that hard to avoid either. I know there's a big twist in Bioshock, but I still haven't been spoiled. Though at this point I should probably be spoiled for having never finished it.

JaseC

Well, I'd argue it's par for the course because most people find it easier to belittle a contrary opinion than oppose it in a dignified manner. We're largely a tight-knit group here and I'd like to think that, when disagreements arise, debate should take the place of hand-wavey statements. I'm not saying that people should walk on eggshells all the time vis-a-vis spoilers; rather, context should be considered and to that end I'm of the opinion that discussing one of FF7's major turning points in a Steam thread is a prime example of why the spoiler tag exists.

Alternative post: "LOL LUKE SKYWALKER" this and "LOL DUMBLEDORE" that.

Jazz573

Well, I'd argue it's par for the course because most people find it easier to belittle a contrary opinion than oppose it in a dignified manner. We're largely a tight-knit group here and I'd like to think that, when disagreements arise, debate should take the place of hand-wavey statements.

Thanks, Jase.

Dr Dogg

Does anyone know how to change the exe that steam executes when you choose to launch a game, specifically for big picture mode?

Don't you just rename the modified executable to what the original is and vice versa? That's what I've done when using texmod and such in the past.Though BPM is a pain if I recall. If you're refering to New Vegas though, technically you don't need a new exe as all you have to do is enable it to be large address aware. There's a few programs which can patch your existing exe or I swear there's a guide to hex editing it.

MUnited83

For you.
I mean, I dunno, would it really matter that much if you know the plot twists? I doubt that knowing that Ocelot is revealed as Big Boss's biological father in MGSV and that Voldemort being revealed as split personality of Dumbledore that took a physical presence of its own impacts the experience that much

Grizza

Long time lurker in the STEAM thread, how would I go about being invited to the STEAM group on STEAM? Trying to be more social as an early New Year's resolution.

Jazz573

I mean, I dunno, would it really matter that much if you know the plot twists? I doubt that knowing that
Ocelot is revealed as Big Boss's biological father in MGSV
and that
Voldemort being revealed as split personality of Dumbledore that took a physical presence of its own impacts the experience that much

Thanks for spoiling MGSV. I'm actually serious. Don't do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom