• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Reminds me of the good old Speccy and C64 days. You'd be waiting 4-5 mins for Treasure Island Dizzy to load up all the while have your ears blasted and eyes ruined with flashing colours. Ah those were the days.

MUnited83

For you.
Thankfully from the PC footage, it doesn't seem all that bad. For a Just Cause game, the draw is almost entirely on the stupidly arcadey sandbox and the freedom of the large open world. I think it is one of the few games where the big open world staple is actually something of a necessity
Just Cause 2 was too big for its own good imo. Such a bore to make your way through it. Even when using the fastest planes it would take a ungodly ammount of time . the small diversity of a scenarios didn't help either, as well as enemy outposts that all look the same.

I do have hope on them though, I think they really nailed exploration on Mad Max.

Uzzy

Reminds me of the good old Speccy and C64 days. You'd be waiting 4-5 mins for Treasure Island Dizzy to load up all the while have your ears blasted and eyes ruined with flashing colours. Ah those were the days.

Suddenly I got nostalgia for Elite on the C64. Hours of fun spent figuring out manual docking in that.

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm maybe you're right

i don't know wth is going on with my music library on steam

the fuck
you also have to like buy a game to buy its soundtrack and i think u have to download both too?

it's dumb like most things valve does so yeah, i'd rather just buy it off bandcamp

Deitus

Just Cause 2 was too big for its own good imo. Such a bore to make your way through it. Even when using the fastest planes it would take a ungodly ammount of time . the small diversity of a scenarios didn't help either, as well as enemy outposts that all look the same.

I do have hope on them though, I think they really nailed exploration on Mad Max.

Yeah, JC2 was too big and so much of it looked and felt the same. The biggest problem I have with JC3 so far is the fact that they keep talking up the size of the world rather than the amount of unique content.

Btw did anybody else buy an Xbox One controller from the Microsoft Store for Black Friday? The order says completed but I don't see the transaction appearing in my bank statements, even though it was there while pending.

The thing shipped already so it's a bit confusing.

Accoun

And sh*tposting will start in 3, 2, 1

Just Cause 3 on PS4 has 3min 30 sec loadings (post Day One patch)

Gamers: We want games with huge maps and no loading screens between regions!

Game with large map and without loading screens between regions is released but it has one long loading time.

Gamers: This game is shit and this is unacceptable!

Was fine on Totalbiscuit's stream, what's the problem? :p

But yeah, he has an SSD and I guess not everyone does. Any reports about non-default HDDs?

tmarg

you also have to like buy a game to buy its soundtrack and i think u have to download both too?

it's dumb like most things valve does so yeah, i'd rather just buy it off bandcamp

Doesn't bandcamp not have an account system, so everything is a one time download?

Accoun

Suddenly I got nostalgia for Elite on the C64. Hours of fun spent figuring out manual docking in that.

Heh. Not Elite, but I have a $10 game code for GOG and I'm debating if I should get TIE Fighter with it... :-D
That or Ultima Underworld. Eventually some Pro Pinball game, but I;m a bit less interested in it.

zkylon

zkylewd
man i changed my mind, kilgrave's awesome. easily steals the whole thing, specially since the supporting cast is so weak (seriously why is like 15% of every episode wasted on trinity's boring ass pseudo-progressive lesbian marriage love thing)

also jessica jones had my exact same room when i was 14 lol

Doesn't bandcamp not have an account system, so everything is a one time download?
pretty sure they do but could b mistaken, i don't usually buy music online

replace it by any other site if u want, point is i wouldn't give valve money for a half assed system that's just there to be another money source for them

Accoun

Pretty sure it has one (you can write recommendations and stuff), but not sure how is it when you buy it. Although after buying it you can stream it in their app, so maybe...

Sober

Yeah, JC2 was too big and so much of it looked and felt the same. The biggest problem I have with JC3 so far is the fact that they keep talking up the size of the world rather than the amount of unique content.
As someone who more or less 100%'d JC2, that game had a considerable amount of biomes, I'd like to say maybe 4 to 6 of them, and there was a fair amount of variety in most (not all) of the locations that had collectibles/chaos objects to blow up. I don't think the variety of activities is all that great still - you blow things up and you're really only limited by your creativity - but JC3 seems to keep the same formula and refines a lot of it.

From the little amount of footage I've seen it looks to be about as varied as JC2 or even more. If you don't like the basic gameplay loop of story mission -> do free roam stuff in open world to unlock more story -> repeat then maybe not, even though it was pretty clear in JC2 you barely needed to do any of the open world stuff to keep the story moving.

In fact I had a blast with JC2's open world and just causing chaos while listening to podcasts or music instead.

tmarg

Pretty sure it has one (you can write recommendations and stuff), but not sure how is it when you buy it. Although after buying it you can stream it in their app, so maybe...

I've never bought anything from them, but I've gotten a few promo codes for free albums and they've all been like that. Kinda turned me off making actual purchases from them.

configuring mods for FF7

should i (actual spoilers)
mod it so Aerith lives?

No reason to. Even with the caveat that Aeris can have dialogue past her death (notably in the beginning of Disc 2), it doesn't really change anything. I assume this is a mod that simply flags it so that she just gets readded to your party after, and doesn't have any fanmade dialogue/sequences.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are we really pretending there are people who don't know that?

Don't scoff at him for using the spoiler tag correctly. Spoilers are spoilers, regardless of time passed or the popularity of the work in question.

Dr Dogg

I'd rather watch paint dry that play through FF7 again. Well I say again as I never got past the second disc but tried to play it again when it got rereleased on PC and I just not that keen on it. 8 maybe but out of the 3 PSOne games 9 is head and shoulders the one I prefer. Even with tediously drawn out battles that were even 12% worse for me thanks to Square's PAL conversion efforts.

Accoun

I've never bought anything from them, but I've gotten a few promo codes for free albums and they've all been like that. Kinda turned me off making actual purchases from them.

Asked a friend:
They are, it asks for the PayPal email you used and then it emails you a new download link. I checked with something I purchased a year ago.

Suboptimal, but I guess it's something.

[EDIT]
Someone else:
Hmm, I was just in my Bandcamp account and was able to redownload without email link. I just log-in, click 'Collection' then see which albums I purchased, hover over them, and click the download link. It will then prepare the album like when you bought it for the first time then I can download via browser. I have to re-download files when they offered WAV and AIFF since the FLAC and ALAC were compressed.

I'm well aware of the fact TV Tropes is a site that exists. Citing it isn't going to change my mind.

Doesn't matter. It is what it is.

I've said it in the past too, when someone else tried to bitch at me for talking about Aeris' death. FF7 is nearly 20 years old. If you don't know one of the (maybe even the) most famous twists in video game history by this point, you deserve to be spoiled.

GAF's spoiler culture is definitely the most overzealous, I've found.

zkylon

zkylewd
btw what about this sale makes it an "exploration sale"

is there anything different or new from the regular steam site?

i honestly don't know

I'd rather watch paint dry that play through FF7 again. Well I say again as I never got past the second disc but tried to play it again when it got rereleased on PC and I just not that keen on it. 8 maybe but out of the 3 PSOne games 9 is head and shoulders the one I prefer. Even with tediously drawn out battles that were even 12% worse for me thanks to Square's PAL conversion efforts.
i dunno how anyone can hate ff7. it's not without its flaws but it's one of the most memorable rides in videogame history imo

Nzyme32

To be honest, I think this comes down to how you play. I would find the game extremely monotonous if I played for more than a couple of hours or so. I just naturally enjoyed playing the game when it was in small bursts. In that way, I didn't find the game world too big and I didn't bore myself from repetitiveness

rtcn63

Traversal is what stopped me from playing JC2 after the first hour or so. Didn't taking over outposts require you bringing one thing to another thing or something? Like you couldn't just throw yourself around with a sling?

Also Just Cause, 3 Minutes

Jazz573

I've said it in the past too, when someone else tried to bitch at me for talking about Aeris' death. FF7 is nearly 20 years old. If you don't know one of the (maybe even the) most famous twists in video game history by this point, you deserve to be spoiled.

Can't agree. A spoiler is a spoiler.

i dunno how anyone can hate ff7. it's not without its flaws but it's one of the most memorable rides in videogame history imo

I can see why people might not play it. The game hasn't aged all that well - there are a lot of parts that were probably technical marvels for the time (and still are, to an extent), like the seamless transitions between gameplay and FMV videos. There are others (like the cutscene in the ending with Cloud hauling himself and Tifa up a cliff one-handed) that look hilariously bad. I can see why people clamored for a remake for so long.

That said, it's still worth playing, no matter what age you are. It can run into "Seinfeld is unfunny" territory, but if you go in pure and ignore the fact that most of what did has been cribbed and stolen ad nauseum, it's still an incredible experience.

How quaint of you to imply that I'm foolish to have the perspective that I do.

Just calling it like I see it. Disagree or not, but I bet if you made a thread right now whining about it, people would tell you to chill out. I'm not going to goosestep around something that's been known (and spoiled in trailers and further games) for nearly two decades. Go whine to someone else if you have a problem with it.

And I'm getting a strong sense of deja vu from this conversation.

Oho, first time using Borderless Gaming App with Dark Souls and it works easy-peasy. Nice to be able to Alt-Tab quick to change Youtube videos.

Nzyme32

Well I definitely don't agree. A spoiler is a spoiler plain and simple, and is easily avoidable with the minimum of forethought.

Also I had FFVII's twist spoiled right here in one of the earlier Steam threads just after I bought the game to see what all the hype was about. I haven't played the game specifically because such a spoiler destroyed the purpose of me discovering the plot in itself. I went for almost 20 odd years not knowing anything other than the game was great to play and great narrative twists that made it more enjoyable, and would be great to experience blind.

Even if the a spoiler is for something you assume "everyone must know by now", I still have the decency and common courtesy to not spoil the experience for anyone else that might still be in the dark or looking forward to playing / watching themselves. This is even more obvious on a gaming centric forum with people of all backgrounds in gaming.

So to people like you, I kindly say, go fuck yourself

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just calling it like I see it. Disagree or not, but I bet if you made a thread right now whining about it, people would tell you to chill out.

And I'm getting a strong sense of deja vu from this conversation.

I just feel that the spoiler tag should be used -- properly -- when addressing spoilers. Labelling that as "whining" is as belittling as it is insulting. You can disagree without resorting to responses befitting of a child.

Lomax

I don't hate FF7, I just think it's the most overrated game of all time, based on the still massive number of people I still see refer to it as the best game of all time. I do dislike the direction it took the series, but I've come to realize that maybe I just never really liked jRPGs that much, it's just the big three on the SNES transcend the genre (I wasn't overly fond of FF2/4 either).

Well I definitely don't agree. A spoiler is a spoiler plain and simple, and is easily avoidable with the minimum of forethought.

Most of the time, I would agree with that, but let's be honest here. Wherever you go, no matter which board you post on, it's pretty much fair game after release. If it's not in a clearly-marked spoiler thread, expect spoilers. You've clearly been here long enough, and you should know that just as well as I do by now.

Like I've said before, I played the game knowing the twist and didn't lose anything from the experience.

Your misplaced anger is cute, though. Points for that.

JaseC said:
I just feel that the spoiler tag should be used -- properly -- when addressing spoilers. Labelling that as "whining" is as belittling as it is insulting. You can disagree without resorting to responses befitting of a child.

Maybe it's because I remember having the exact same conversation with people who were shouted down by everyone else for acting overzealous. Like I said, this is more a GAF problem than anything else. People expecting to be unspoiled virgins in this day and age when it comes to older games are only setting themselves up for disappointment.

I'm having an issue with RE5 GE, the game freezes, actually forcing me to turn off my PC.
When I start the game I get a "failed to locate specified module" type error message, but the game still starts normally. Sometimes I can play a couple of hours without a freeze. other times it freezes constantly.
The file path indicated by the error message originates in the game's launcher.
I already tried reinstalling the game. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jazz573

I don't hate FF7, I just think it's the most overrated game of all time, based on the still massive number of people I still see refer to it as the best game of all time. I do dislike the direction it took the series, but I've come to realize that maybe I just never really liked jRPGs that much, it's just the big three on the SNES transcend the genre (I wasn't overly fond of FF2/4 either).

Yeah, definitely the most overrated FF game, same as how I feel about Ocarina of Time and the Zelda series. I don't think either is a bad game tho, just not as good as people say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom