• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't understand how you're supposed to reasonably get exp as a Demo in Killing Floor 2. Am I supposed to just use the basic pistol forever because the demo perk weapons are terrible.

Demo pistol is acceptable if you aim for the legs, this seems to distribute the damage much more efficiently than chest shots. C4 isn't worth the money unless you're rolling in dosh, which probably won't be the case on any difficulty above normal. The real money making is in group shots with the M79 and RPG-7, but this only really works if your team isn't mowing down everything just fine without you. Otherwise, you're stuck waiting for the pocket to collapse so you can step in with a few nice explosions and give the team breathing room.

They've turned Demo into a trash-killer class, without nearly enough ammunition or the flexibility of Support, Firebug or Commando. I enjoy playing the class sometimes, but man is it lacking.

It's rather telling that the Firebug has a perk which causes more reliable explosive damage than the Demo.

bbd23

blops 3 is only 18 gb?

More importantly, the SP and MP aren't separate?

55vvp5e.png

looks like more downloads on release?

Complaining about something that was in an E3 trailer is incredibly silly. I mean, if you're on that much of a black out for a game......don't go into a leak thread

Nah, just wait for people in here to ruin it for you.

Pro Tip: don't post in heated threads

Protip, don't post outside of the Steam thread.

Demo pistol is acceptable if you aim for the legs, this seems to distribute the damage much more efficiently than chest shots. C4 isn't worth the money unless you're rolling in dosh, which probably won't be the case on any difficulty above normal. The real money making is in group shots with the M79 and RPG-7, but this only really works if your team isn't mowing down everything just fine without you. Otherwise, you're stuck waiting for the pocket to collapse so you can step in with a few nice explosions and give the team breathing room.

They've turned Demo into a trash-killer class, without nearly enough ammunition or the flexibility of Support, Firebug or Commando. I enjoy playing the class sometimes, but man is it lacking.

It's rather telling that the Firebug has a perk which causes more reliable explosive damage than the Demo.

The worst thing about demo is when you use the ml-79 and rpg and have it fire a dud or whatever. I still can't quite figure out what exactly causes that... too close, nothing to impact on, lag? Frustrating all the same, either way. Sort of the last thing the class needs, since ammo is limited and it just kind of stalls out in most cases.

The one thing people really don't seem to get about KF2 is that you have no need to be a demo to get demo experience.
You can play as any class you like... and when you get some extra dosh, pick up another class's weapon and get your EXP with it. Sure, you may not get some of the bonus damage or effects, but when the class is something very low level, that type of thing doesn't matter anyway. I think you get +1 clip for ever 5 levels of demo -- what's +1-5 ammo going to do for you, really... you're better off picking a higher leveled class such as a berzerker or medic or whatever with better startup weapons and perks you've already unlocked. The only spot it really makes a difference, outside of the perks not giving you weapon bonuses for additional damage or whatever with the non-class weapons you're using is that your grenades/9mm/knife will default to giving you base class EXP.

I tried to explain this to another GAFer about 30 times, but he still "doesn't get it". :lol
Playing as your level 15 medic where you get free body armor as your perk and buying caulk n' burn round 2 and using that to start leveling your firebug is really no different than choosing firebug to start, except you're given a weapon you already have perk bonuses for, start with potentially 120 health and full armor (which can go over 100), etc... choice seems pretty simple to me, especially since there's no "skill penalty" for using a firebug weapon as a medic outside of not getting the perk/level bonuses for the perk weapon. But when you're killing normal (read: not large) zeds, it shouldn't make that big of a difference on normal or hard.

KarmaCow

Force zeds through choke points and hit them with c4/gl/rpg

Maybe that works in solo games but in groups trying to train mobs is a waste of time when someone who has non-shit weapons can just kill them. Hell, it's trivial to kill non-scrakes/fleshpounds with just the pistol in less time than it takes to herd mobs around so that the GL is actually useful.

Yea, I'd like to play around with a fully levelled Demo but actually levelling it seems like you need to gimp yourself.

The worst thing about demo is when you use the ml-79 and rpg and have it fire a dud or whatever. I still can't quite figure out what exactly causes that... too close, nothing to impact on, lag? Frustrating all the same, either way. Sort of the last thing the class needs, since ammo is limited and it just kind of stalls out in most cases.

The one thing people really don't seem to get about KF2 is that you have no need to be a demo to get demo experience.
You can play as any class you like... and when you get some extra dosh, pick up another class's weapon and get your EXP with it. Sure, you may not get some of the bonus damage or effects, but when the class is something very low level, that type of thing doesn't matter anyway. I think you get +1 clip for ever 5 levels of demo -- what's +1-5 ammo going to do for you, really... you're better off picking a higher leveled class such as a berzerker or medic or whatever with better startup weapons and perks you've already unlocked. The only spot it really makes a difference, outside of the perks not giving you weapon bonuses for additional damage or whatever with the non-class weapons you're using is that your grenades/9mm/knife will default to giving you base class EXP.

See but that's the problem, demo weapons are shit. Why would use them when pretty much everything else is better? If I could use non-Demo weapons as a Demo and get exp for the perk, things would be so much easier but instead the options are gimp yourself using crappy Demo weapons as another class or play as a Demo using pistols.

Yea, I'd like to play around with a fully levelled Demo but actually levelling it seems like you need to gimp yourself.

Server browser > sort by difficulty > select Nightmare map Timbosperktrainingv3

Spam grenades as your desired class > level up in class like a whirlwind.

KarmaCow

Server browser > sort by difficulty > select Nightmare map Timbosperktrainingv3

Spam grenades as your desired class > level up in class like a whirlwind.

I did this with an earlier incarnation to level another perk and it kinda soured me on the game after a while. I dunno, straight up grinding gets old fast but compared to the alternative I guess I'll try it, thanks.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I tried to explain this to another GAFer about 30 times, but he still "doesn't get it". :lol
Playing as your level 15 medic where you get free body armor as your perk and buying caulk n' burn round 2 and using that to start leveling your firebug is really no different than choosing firebug to start, except you're given a weapon you already have perk bonuses for, start with potentially 120 health and full armor (which can go over 100), etc... choice seems pretty simple to me, especially since there's no "skill penalty" for using a firebug weapon as a medic outside of not getting the perk/level bonuses for the perk weapon. But when you're killing normal (read: not large) zeds, it shouldn't make that big of a difference on normal or hard.

It's weird how people don't notice it since every kill you earn EXP for will display the class icon the weapon belongs to instead of the class you're playing as. I guess it's such a different system than normal that nobody really thinks about it or notices it, but they do go out of the way to show you how it works. I'm not fully sold on the practicality of off perking on higher difficulties, but the option is there and there are systems in place to make off perking more alluring/useful than just carrying a dead weight peashooter around.

Jawmuncher

header.jpg

Today was finally able to finish a whole route with every ending. Took me about 5 hours for the one route I would say give or take. It was pretty enjoyable for a otome. For my specific route (Spade) the game was filled with a lot of questions which slowly got answered via each ending. Which makes sense considering the game is about having amnesia and going from there. Not much to say really without spoiling the specific route but I will leave some impressions still. The artwork was good, and like much newer VNs the mouths moved to the japanese dialog. The real surprise though are the endings. Not the good or normal ones mind you but the Bad Endings. Talk about one hell of a tonal change, I can see a lot of people playing and mainly remembering these if the other routes keep the same trend. For a "romance" novel my really bad endings consisted of
Being thrown off a cliff and put into acoma, where my husbando pledged to kill the people who did this to me. Then the other consisted of him finding out I was lying to him this entire time (about losing my memories). Where he then proceeded to lie about things we have done since he knew I didn't remember and almost decided to rape me
. Took me for quite the surprise when I read those endings. But I am a fan of tonal changes in stories so I didn't mind it. They're bad endings after all, so nice to see some of them go a bit overboard. Will end up chipping away at the other endings slowly for the other routes. But I am happy with what I have played so far.

These last few days I have learned that mystery boxing non-obscure games via Steam gifts is not a good idea.

EDIT - This will technically be the fourth time I have attempted to raffle old Geralt here.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (uncredited male, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition -- MB-C3CDB11CAA571AAF - Taken by Red Hood. 13 entrants total.

t1446605576z1.png

I did this with an earlier incarnation to level another perk and it kinda soured me on the game after a while. I dunno, straight up grinding gets old fast but compared to the alternative I guess I'll try it, thanks.

Yeah, it doesn't scream fun a lot of the times -- but if you're close to leveling to a /5 level for a new perk or you just want to get a class off the ground so it's somewhat viable and the perks start to take effect, it can be useful.

It's weird how people don't notice it since every kill you earn EXP for will display the class icon the weapon belongs to instead of the class you're playing as. I guess it's such a different system than normal that nobody really thinks about it or notices it, but they do go out of the way to show you how it works. I'm not fully sold on the practicality of off perking on higher difficulties, but the option is there and there are systems in place to make off perking more alluring/useful than just carrying a dead weight peashooter around.

Very true.
I didn't notice it until Veggie told me he'd leveled up medic even though he was playing commando because he used the medic's smg constantly.
After seeing it happen when I was carrying a medic gun for team healing, it all clicked and I started exploiting it and carrying off perk weapons to screw around with and have fun with.

Is it possible for me in the US to buy Sonic Lost Worlds from Nuuvem?

It's like these posters are TRYING to give me a fucking aneurysm.

go. google. it.

Well, at least they have their priorities straight.

In entirely unrelated news, Mount&Blade: Warband supports KB&M.

As long as it supports a controller, they sure are. ;)

i guess, i should've asked, how can I pay with Paypal. Is there a special VPN that would work over Hola and Flyvpn that I've already tried

You can't.

If you're VPNed and it's in your cart, you have a valid IP check, so it passes the Nuuvem "is the buyer buying from an IP in an allowed region?" check.
However, now Nuuvem checks your paypal/payment address on a large number of games. There's no way to tell which games these are, other than to try buying them and having it denied. For example, I was told Cities: Skylines was purchasable from Nuuvem... so I tried to buy it and the expansion. But the expansion produced the problem using paypal... when it was removed from my cart, Cities: Skylines was able to be purchased without problem.

So you need to find someone you trust in South America, have them buy it for you, then you can use a VPN to activate it, which never really catches Valve's eye but is technically frowned upon.

You can't.

Nuuvem checks your paypal/payment address on a large number of games now.
So you need to find someone you trust in South America, have them buy it for you, then you can use a VPN to activate it, which never really catches Valve's eye but is technically frowned upon.

thank you for your help...is there anybody in Brazil here that would like to help me out?

Tesseract

Banned
i feel a fool for not thanking the person who gifted me yaiba, gonna play the hell out of it right now

sorry i missed your name, my glasses were off

First puzzle in on Grim Fandango (the work order) and Im already fucking lost lol

Yeah -- some of these puzzles are pretty obtuse.

Funstock Digital with coupon OCT-COUPMAIL-PRE25, cheaper than GMG.

Edit: I preordered it a some minutes ago.

Probably not cheap for USD, right?

i feel a fool for not thanking the person who gifted me yaiba, gonna play the hell out of it right now

sorry i missed your name, my glasses were off

Hrrrm. There's another Santa Yaiba running around?
I've been slowly giving it to everyone on my FL who had it wishlisted and would be likely to play it... I just ran out of funds for the Halloween sale and was going to do another round during the Winter sale.

What's with these textures though? And where are the shadows? At least it's not brown anymore I guess.

There's plenty of shadows in the second shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom