• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsyndrome

Wasteland 2 patch that fixes companions disappearing after dismissal is up, too bad I have to study PN junctions and other semiconductor magic all night. Now supports the Steam Controller

Changelog here.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dat stat-padding tho...

easy35fzl2.jpg

easy2tczye.jpg

easy1gay4q.jpg

HxqrNOQ.gif

Oh yea! My DisplayPort cable came in. 4k Freesync is go!

you must have to zoom the shit out of chrome. I only got a 1080p monitor and I got this shit on 150% zoom, default is beyond tiny, especially on gaf. back when I used my computer on my tv cause i didn't have a monitor I had that shit on +200% zoom.

Phawx

you must have to zoom the shit out of chrome. I only got a 1080p monitor and I got this shit on 150% zoom, default is beyond tiny, especially on gaf. back when I used my computer on my tv cause i didn't have a monitor I had that shit on +200% zoom.

Nah, I have it default. It's actually pretty easy to read. It's so sharp. Testing freesync with that amd windmill demo now.

Edit: The remote control is hilarious. Everything is in Korean.

zkylon

zkylewd
Mass Effect didn't really blend anything.
It changed to a Third Person Shooter and kept some light RPG elements such as minimal equipment upgrades and a skill tree.
it had shooter elements but also magic and equipment and classes that were governed by a character system of leveling and skill trees and all that fancy rpg crap

it's a mix, it doesn't mean 50-50, it just means that it takes some elements from one genre and combines them with elements from the other genre

dark souls plays mostly like an action game, you swing your sword, block with your shield, time your parries and dodges, etc. but it's also has magic and equipment and leveling and all those stuff are tied to an interesting character system, so it's also got rpg mechanics in it.

it's a blend of genres.

by comparison fallout 3 has a bad shooter combined with barely interactive sequences of gore in shaky cam. there's barely any gameplay in vats, it's the per-scenario equivalent of that "tell me a story" difficulty setting in me3

Fallout 3 and NV are more RPG than ME2/ME3 will ever be in terms of core gameplay.
who cares? i never said me3 is more of an rpg than new vegas or whatever

fact is, despite being probably one of my favorite games ever and easily one of the best rpgs ever made, new vegas is still really boring to play. talking to people and questing? fucking fantastic. actually engaging with enemies in combat? tedious af

VATS is there for people who have no interest in playing Fallout 3/NV/4 as a straight FPS in terms of combat. If you have no interest in using it... DON'T FUCKING USE IT. You're not required to in order to play the game, so including it for the people who like it and make use of it has pretty much no effect on you if you don't like it. If the game forced you to enter VATS, then sure, complain that you'd like it removed... but again, as it, you're perfectly welcome to play and finish the game without it.
this is an argument i've heard over and over again over many different topics and it never ceases to be dumb

we're discussing a system in a game. this system being optional doesn't make it free from criticism and if it's bad and broken then i have all the right in the world to say "hey, this system is dumb and shouldn't be in the game"

if you disagree with me we can have a real conversation instead of me having to justify having an opinion

Not really. The first game was more balanced, but was still very light on rpg systems. The next two were simply shooters with upgrade mechanics.
i think i overreached with the "best of both" part but i think mass effect as a series strikes a good balance between being an rpg and a shooter. doesn't mean it's super deep in both, or that both parts equally sophisticated, it just means that the rpg:shooter ratio they came up with was satisfying and fun to play from both sides.

i think specially me3 was really enjoyable that way, even if it had so many other problems.

Being shit at shooters I quite like it, I don't like the genre by and large. I'd have never tolerated or enjoyed 3 or New Vegas without it. It let me get on with enjoying the rest of the game.

Not that I'm in any rush to get Fallout 4 though, its a wait over a year for big sale discounts series to me.
i think then as a person that doesn't like shooters you deserve a better game instead of what essentially is a skip encounter button

Okay it doesn't match the original games perfectly, but the concept is similar or at least close enough that in Bethesda's mind its a good compromise. In regards to Mass Effect the first game was an RPG, but both 2 and 3 are basically shooters. They are at least in my opinion the first examples of the hero shooter stuff were seeing now and with the exception of maybe Battleborn none of those games are RPGs.
i'm sure it's ok a compromise in beth's head, but vats as a system is really not good

- it's too simple: ap is only used for shooting, so the only choice you make is where you shoot
- it's too unbalanced: shooting in the head is like 10x more effective than anything else
- it works bad with the fps stuff: you can be like right next to a person and miss
- it's not fun: it's repetitive and uninteractive as a result of bad balance and lack of options

the me stuff i got into in the replies above

dat stat-padding tho...

easy35fzl2.jpg

easy2tczye.jpg

How bad were the 100% for Tales and Life?
I might squeeze those in before the end of the year and it'd be nice if they weren't too long to 100% or too tedious.

it had shooter elements but also magic and equipment and classes that were governed by a character system of leveling and skill trees and all that fancy rpg crap

it's a mix, it doesn't mean 50-50, it just means that it takes some elements from one genre and combines them with elements from the other genre

dark souls plays mostly like an action game, you swing your sword, block with your shield, time your parries and dodges, etc. but it's also has magic and equipment and leveling and all those stuff are tied to an interesting character system, so it's also got rpg mechanics in it.

it's a blend of genres.

by comparison fallout 3 has a bad shooter combined with barely interactive sequences of gore in shaky cam. there's barely any gameplay in vats, it's the per-scenario equivalent of that "tell me a story" difficulty setting in me3

who cares? i never said me3 is more of an rpg than new vegas or whatever

fact is, despite being probably one of my favorite games ever and easily one of the best rpgs ever made, new vegas is still really boring to play. talking to people and questing? fucking fantastic. actually engaging with enemies in combat? tedious af

this is an argument i've heard over and over again over many different topics and it never ceases to be dumb

Great counter-argument: "It's dumb."
And not really. It's an option. It doesn't affect gameplay if you ignore it.

Don't like magic in dark souls because of whatever reason? Great, don't use it. But there's no need to remove it for the people who like it.

Basically it boils down to this: saying it should be removed isn't really helpful or "good criticism" even with reasons you don't like it. Instead, the focus should be on "how can VATS be improved or more useful?" as the other poster who was trying to fix VATS suggested (by tying AP regen to difficulty or something like that).

As for the rest? I'm too tired to deal with it. :p
where are all the dog games doe

Dogs and Deer don't really mix well.

How bad were the 100% for Tales and Life?
I might squeeze those in before the end of the year and it'd be nice if they weren't too long to 100% or too tedious.

Took me MAYBE an extra hour to 100 after playing all 5 LiS eps. There's a "collectibles" mode, and they split the eps into the locations and tell you how many you have in each, and let you jump in w/o having to go through the whole ep.

Phawx

So AMD's encoder basically just shrugs at trying to record 4k (This is for the 2xx series. GCN 1.2 can encode 4k). I can record using straight x264 but than the game crawls like crazy because my cpus are busy encoding the crap instead of running the game.

The only way I can record and keep an acceptable frame rate is with Playclaw's 'fast' encoder which seems like it's straight RAW .avi.

I'm currently uploading a witcher 3 video of my poor little 290 running 4k at ultra (no post processing). It's 23 seconds with no audio and is 3GB o_O

Took me MAYBE an extra hour to 100 after playing all 5 LiS eps. There's a "collectibles" mode, and they split the eps into the locations and tell you how many you have in each, and let you jump in w/o having to go through the whole ep.

Ok, maybe I will love DONTNOD like everyone else after this -- this sounds amazing. So I can just play the game from start to finish, then go back in a separate mode to clean up achievements with trackers for them? THIS. SOUNDS. AMAZING.

Don't you automatically 100% telltale games by finishing them?

Depends on the game. The Wolf Among Us had several achievements for "completing the log book" which required you to branch through specific scenarios and select specific dialogue. I think 400 days was a bit more complex and had some things like this as well. But then TWD Season 2 was 100% straight up "complete these main branches of the story" achievements... without looking through the achievements, I don't know which category TftB falls into, so I asked.

Lomax

Don't you automatically 100% telltale games by finishing them?

No, most of their more recent games have had some optional collectibles or whatnot that were required for 100%. It rarely takes more than an extra hour or two to get them though.

So apparently, TR2013 is a strong contender for the humble monthly.

I can't see it corresponding to any of the clues.

zkylon

zkylewd
Great counter-argument: "It's dumb."

And not really. It's an option. It doesn't affect gameplay if you ignore it.
ffs

did you remove literally the two key-to-my-point sentences on purpose or you just decided to stop reading for funsies?

and then you just say "not really"?

pls

Don't like magic in dark souls because of whatever reason? Great, don't use it. But there's no need to remove it for the people who like it.

Basically it boils down to this: saying it should be removed isn't really helpful or "good criticism" even with reasons you don't like it. Instead, the focus should be on "how can VATS be improved or more useful?" as the other poster who was trying to fix VATS suggested (by tying AP regen to difficulty or something like that).
a) not all systems need to be "improved". some things are just extra fat and should be removed because they add nothing to the game. say dark souls, they removed consumables from demons souls and replaced them with limited number of heals in estus flasks. they readded consumables in dark souls 2 and the game is just worse for it, you can just stack on consumables and remove any long term impact of encounters. and while you can ignore it, the game is balanced around it so it creeps out into the healthy aspects of the game.

and there's always people that like everything, even the really bad things in games. i see this all the time in league, i see mechanics get removed that are beloved by people but that are just bad for the game and then we find the game turns out better and more fun for it. there's always gonna be a minority that's gonna be "that sux", but you can't pretend having a broken mechanic in your game doesn't affect the rest of it

b) in my first post i mentioned that maybe it could work as a "high impact long cooldown" thing, which would mean you shoot a bunch and maybe every now and then you get access to a special move or whatever. there's other solutions which might have merit to them, i don't mean to shoot down ideas to improve vats, but i also don't think it's a system worth keeping. things like tying ap regen to difficulty might make vats slightly more interesting, but the reality is that the mechanics in that system are super shallow and any real improvement would require a serious overhaul which i've not seen any ideas for

As for the rest? I'm too tired to deal with it. :p
whatever

oipic

The HMB (or its first installment at least) is shaping up to be pretty good value in general, but may not be of much widespread appeal for those of us here who are likely to have a good chunk of its titles already.

I quite enjoyed TR2013, despite all of its faults, for what it's worth.

Where did they share that image? It's not on Twitter or the humble site.The lanterns also don't match the lantern in the old hints. They are shaped pretty differently.

Eila

I am unsure on the first Monthly. It's obviously going to be the best one, but I already have TR 2013 and Valkyria Chronicles. I would like Besiege and SR IV or Gat out of hell, but not $12 want.

dex3108

Ubistruggling. Looks like Syndicate was kinda of a flop as well going by Amazon best sellers.

Those results are for first half of their fiscal year where they released only Grow Home, MM VII and Zombi U port. They are focusing on next year where they will have sh*t ton of games. Far Cry Primal, The Division, For Honor, Ghost Recon Woodlands, New Assassins Creed, and there are at least 5 new projects that they will announce I think.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone gotten the same beta update popup about 4 times in a row on Steam? I've had it twice tonight in the last 30 minutes or so, the second time after restarting to install it the first time.

Lomax

I am unsure on the first Monthly. It's obviously going to be the best one, but I already have TR 2013 and Valkyria Chronicles. I would like Besiege and SR IV or Gat out of hell, but not $12 want.

I'd imagine it will be pretty easy to pick up Saints Row for $3-$4 after the bundle drops from people that already have it.

zkylon

zkylewd
No. It's if dark souls had weird controls and was obtuse in it's direction :<

Basically it's dark souls without the fun of dark souls?

wait

are you calling dark souls NOT obtuse?

i love those games but cmon, some of those mechanics are like...

cmon!

Soulflarz

Banned
wait

are you calling dark souls NOT obtuse?

i love those games but cmon, some of those mechanics are like...

cmon!

Look, I knew where to go in Souls at least. This game is "heres dark cavern #131 because we textured the entire game the same", I'm just saying in comparison.

Regardless, Souls is a much better use of your time. Replaying Souls is too. Anything else is.

zkylon

zkylewd
Look, I knew where to go in Souls at least. This game is "heres dark cavern #131 because we textured the entire game the same", I'm just saying in comparison.

Regardless, Souls is a much better use of your time. Replaying Souls is too. Anything else is.
i see what you mean. i think dark souls is sometimes a bit too obtuse too, but in comparison it might be light and day. can't tell cos i haven't really played that other game, just thought it was funny to tell a game "why can't you be more like dark souls!?" when talking about direction and clarity in mechanics lol

also agree on playing souls being a better use of anyone's time than pretty much any other game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom