• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Fallout 4 Gunplay Modeled After Destiny's

When designing Fallout 4's new shooting mechanics, developers at Bethesda Game Studios used Bungie's shooter Destiny--considered by some to have some of the best gunplay in games--as a reference point. That's according to Game Informer's story on the game, published in the magazine's latest issue.

Bethesda developers saw Destiny as a touchstone for Fallout 4's shooter mechanics also because Bungie's game runs at 30fps, just like Fallout 4.

"The main difference in the way we develop [and other studios] is that we will develop with as many knobs as possible," Fallout 4 director Todd Howard said. "We're always thinking of scale. We're not a team that is just going to make eight guns and spend forever on one gun. We knew we were going to have thousands, so we needed to develop a gun system that had all of the dials."

Helping develop Fallout 4's gunplay is Josh Hamrick, who left Bungie after six years to join Bethesda. He works at Bethesda as a senior systems designer and in his new role has been "focused intently on tuning [Fallout 4's] firearms." Hamrick was also part of the team that designed Fallout 4's PlayStation Vita controls.

Speaking about Fallout 4's shooter mechanics in June, Howard said they will improve upon what was seen in Fallout 3. The shooting system in that game was very "meh," Howard said at the time.

"We started out with Fallout 4 knowing that, look, we can't apologize for being a role-playing game," he said. "We have to build a first-person shooter, and it needs to be a really, really good one. We spent a lot of time on that."

In Fallout 4, players can use VATS, the game's strategic combat mechanic where action slows down, allowing them to target specific body parts.

"We want players to have the edge if they use the VATS system," Howard said. "If you're building your character for VATS, it's really powerful."

Bethesda also enlisted the help of Doom and Rage developer id Software for Fallout 4's shooter mechanics.

The Fallout 4 release date is set for November 10 across PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. In other news about the game, Microsoft and Bethesda have teamed up for some Fallout 4-themed Forza 6 cars.

For lots more, be sure to read Game Informer's full story, "The Making of Fallout 4." It's available now to subscribers.

Sch1sm

Tried playing RONIN earlier.

kb+m with no mouse available atm is a real pain, though. Can't even rebind keys so space is jump instead,
but I get why to some extent since they also use the mouse to direct the height and direction of the jump
. :c

zkylon

zkylewd
i still don't get why vats is in the game

maybe as like a long cooldown high impact thing but as part of the core gameplay? who wants a first person shooter that stops to fault and shoots on its own? or a rpg in which you don't ever have to think?

vats is liek the worst shit ever, just remove it already

If Id had a hand in development then I hope the guns have those crispy ass sound effects like in Rage

It would help the fallout atmosphere

maybe as like a long cooldown high impact thing but as part of the core gameplay? who wants a first person shooter that stops to fault and shoots on its own? or a rpg in which you don't ever have to think?

It keeps the spirit of the original games without having it be different kind of game and keeps the series accessible to more people who may enjoy RPGs, but don't like shooters. Bethesda makes the most mainstream western rpg there is they want to make as many people as possible. I guess one fix would be to tie AP regen to difficulty with one end of the scale making it almost instant and another where far slower. This would require their shooting to be as good as the best in the business, which Bethesda may not be confident of, despite whatever they say publicly.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
FF13 has strategies for some bosses though it's mainly using the right set of Paradigms.

I just do the minimum amount of thinking about attributes and stuff. I don't really get too much involved.

I set myself up for some pain I admit.

zkylon

zkylewd
It keeps the spirit of the original games without having it be different kind of game and keeps the series accessible to more people who may enjoy RPGs, but don't like shooters. Bethesda makes the most mainstream western rpg there is they want to make as many people as possible. I guess one fix would be to tie AP regen to difficulty with one end of the scale making it almost instant and another where far slower. This would require their shooting to be as good as the best in the business, which Bethesda may not be confident of, despite whatever they say publicly.
it really doesn't

and it's just a poorly balanced and boring system. something like mass effect managed to blend rpg and shooter into a combination that is kind of the best of both

it's not impossible to make something enjoyable and accessible

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- MB-3C03019E306A4B3D - Taken by freshVeggie. 1 entrants total.

t1446686222z1.png

take it

it really doesn't

and it's just a poorly balanced and boring system. something like mass effect managed to blend rpg and shooter into a combination that is kind of the best of both

Mass Effect didn't really blend anything.
It changed to a Third Person Shooter and kept some light RPG elements such as minimal equipment upgrades and a skill tree.

Fallout 3 and NV are more RPG than ME2/ME3 will ever be in terms of core gameplay.

VATS is there for people who have no interest in playing Fallout 3/NV/4 as a straight FPS in terms of combat. If you have no interest in using it... DON'T FUCKING USE IT. You're not required to in order to play the game, so including it for the people who like it and make use of it has pretty much no effect on you if you don't like it. If the game forced you to enter VATS, then sure, complain that you'd like it removed... but again, as it, you're perfectly welcome to play and finish the game without it.

====

On the Alienware stream, is it rxy who is just blindly mashing the mouse buttons during gameplay as if she's playing UMvC3 and wants some extra damage from her supers?

tuxfool

Banned
something like mass effect managed to blend rpg and shooter into a combination that is kind of the best of both

Not really. The first game was more balanced, but was still very light on rpg systems. The next two were simply shooters with upgrade mechanics.

gelf

Being shit at shooters I quite like it, I don't like the genre by and large. I'd have never tolerated or enjoyed 3 or New Vegas without it. It let me get on with enjoying the rest of the game.

Not that I'm in any rush to get Fallout 4 though, its a wait over a year for big sale discounts series to me.

Dsyndrome

I use VATS to see dudes' disintegrate from energy weapons or their heads explode in Slowmo. If Fallout 4 was just FPS, it would be too much like Stalker for my taste. Nothing wrong with a balance between the two.

rtcn63

I played New Vegas as a sorta-FPS (using the appropriate mods). I'm okay either way, although VATS does get a bit dull once you start getting high accuracy weapons.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Ubisoft Says Current-Gen Software Sales Down, PC Sales Up

As part of its financial report, Ubisoft has updated its breakdown of software sales by platform. Current-gen software has dipped, while PC has grown.

At the halfway point in fiscal 2015 (ended March 31, 2015), Ubisoft’s current-gen software sales amounted to 47 percent (32 percent on PS4, 15 percent on Xbox One, 0 percent on Wii U). That has shrunk to 40 percent, with PlayStation 4 software now representing 27 percent of sales and Xbox One games accounting for 12 percent. Wii U accounts for 1 percent.

This can be attributed to a shift in the schedule, with a major title like Watch Dogs absent from Ubisoft’s year so far. The second half of the year includes six major releases, including Assassin’s Creed Syndicate and The Division.

PC software jumped from 15 percent at the halfway point last year to 20 percent in the current year. Xbox 360 sales have dropped from 14 percent to 10 percent. PlayStation 3 software has declined from 17 percent to 10 percent.

Ubisoft is also posting a significant gain in the “others” category, which is where its mobile titles exist. In the first half of fiscal 2015, that category represented only 6 percent. It now accounts for 18 percent of software sales.

[Source: Ubisoft]

Our Take
I expect to see significant shifts once third and fourth quarter results are in. Most publishers don’t report breakdowns like this, which is unfortunate as this gives us a snapshot of current-gen uptake and purchase habits.

We’re seeing mounting migration from last-gen consoles, and I suspect the upgrade pace will quicken through the holiday such that by this time next year, last-gen software sales are below 5 percent. This will be driven in part by publisher development migration, but these two factors push each other. More software means more upgrades, which in turn drives publishers to leave last-gen behind.

it really doesn't

Okay it doesn't match the original games perfectly, but the concept is similar or at least close enough that in Bethesda's mind its a good compromise. In regards to Mass Effect the first game was an RPG, but both 2 and 3 are basically shooters. They are at least in my opinion the first examples of the hero shooter stuff were seeing now and with the exception of maybe Battleborn none of those games are RPGs.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions

I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Urja -- MB-2100684255D0CD54 - Taken by dave is ok
Glorkian Warrior: The Trials Of Glork -- MB-EE4F3270D60ACBAF - Taken by alr1ght
Relativity Wars - A Science Space RTS -- MB-66FF3A9D74F3CEDD - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Rituals -- MB-4A7A3752AFC7417E - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe
Aaru's Awakening -- MB-E78821F63D14D603 - Taken by laserlaser
Last Inua -- MB-2399B215656F6E0B - Taken by KenOD
Lovely Planet -- MB-BA01282E7B3AB5A6 - Taken by anastef
Crash Drive 2 -- MB-A167947EFE64D73B - Taken by darkchewie
Coin Crypt -- MB-1D65E63E61AA6E51 - Taken by Stronghammer22

ArjanN

Okay it doesn't match the original games perfectly, but the concept is similar or at least close enough that in Bethesda's mind its a good compromise.

I can agree with this. I mean, they're wrong of course, but that's their line of thinking. Honeslty IMO they'd need to have way more emphasis on the story/quest/writing/having actual consequences etc. to actually capture the spirit of the original games.

Go for it

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (the_firewithin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Urja -- MB-3F35794CEC8B10FD - Taken by nightstorm
Starship Traveller -- MB-CB33D07D6063CD24 - Taken by Lomax
Relativity Wars - A Science Space RTS -- MB-0422BC3702B2471A - Taken by bobnowhere
The Architect -- MB-37156028630D48B2 - Taken by derExperte
Glorkian Warrior: The Trials Of Glork -- MB-A6C6EED069CF2F22 - Taken by Ozium
Crash Drive 2 -- MB-845B150BEAB6C9FB - Taken by WinterDemons

About This Game
Project CATS is a CAT-based parody of some of the top video games of ALL time -
Enjoy parodies inspired by Super Mario Bros®, Tetris™, Candy Crush Saga®, Nintendogs + Cats™, Sonic the Hedgehog®, Doom™, Call of Duty® + more - all from a Cat's perspective!

The game also features a "Pet Toy" mode so that your pet can interact with the game. Just leave your pet alone with your screen on and let your pet try to chase and catch various objects on screen.

Record and upload your pet videos to YouTube! #ProjectCATS

***a portion of sales will go to the Humane Society
Store page screenshot:
ss_7a8ab6d45dac698d7b41238fb8365063a581b72f.jpg

The depths of Steam's catalogue reaches new lows every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom