• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had one of those explodey EVGA GTX 1070s and it went down on Saturday night. All that happened is that power cut out on my PC though. No flames or anything. Still a bummer that I'm sans PC for about a week and a half while I go through the RMA process.
That's horrifying. Sorry man. Hope your RMA goes quick and painless.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Would Day of the Tentacle be in contention for GOTY or not because it's a remaster?

The distinction for remasters is they're eligible as long as the game they're remastering wasn't previously available on Steam. So yes it would be eligible in this case.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
great bundlestars bundle but Im only missing 12 is better than 6. Dat Grey Goo tho

Damned steam android client is giving me errors about my time being incorrect while it is correct and denies me of my card money.
jtGTW.png

Wok

The distinction for remasters is they're eligible as long as the game they're remastering wasn't previously available on Steam. So yes it would be eligible in this case.

It might get higher in the GOTY ranking then: people will have time to play it thanks to the $1 trick.

Knurek

Are Steins;Gate or DROD eligible for GOTY awards?
If DROD is, how will you handle it's distribution? Main game + DLCs for each other game.
Would Journey to Rooted Hold DLC be eligible alongside King Dugan's Dungeon?

People seem psyched about cheap Grey Goo, but it has pretty middling Steam reviews. Any reason?

The game has stayed fairly expensive so it's mostly been reviewed by fans of the RTS genre, who may have more intense or competitive demands. I just want a fun RTS to play, and it looks polished and fun.

Nzyme32

Fucked up - I already own the collectors edition and don't know when I purchased it - either that or I tried to add it twice > so this may work or not, most likely it should work for you.

Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nzyme32, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) -- MB-DA0A4F4D32D214EB - Taken by anastef

rtcn63

Um, EVGA cards are blowing up now?

The 1070/1080 FTW cards' VRM temp can get hotter than comfortable, potentially overheating the adjacent VRAM which can't handle as much heat as the VRM.

The SC cards may also be affected, at least one person has had a 1060 SC that exploded where the VRM is located.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are Steins;Gate or DROD eligible for GOTY awards?
If DROD is, how will you handle it's distribution? Main game + DLCs for each other game.
Would Journey to Rooted Hold DLC be eligible alongside King Dugan's Dungeon?

giphy.gif

All I do know is that DLC (regardless of it's size, quality, etc) is not eligible for nomination. So, for example, The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine isn't eligible, although I'm sure a few people will be upset about that. For not-DLC stuff, it has to have a store page that shows it was released in 2016, and games that are thematically connected will be voted on separately. In fact, it might be easier if I just post last year's rules (which aren't likely to change outside of the dates and references) so you can get an early idea of what is and isn't eligible.

Here is the selection criteria. If you choose a game that doesn't meet these guidelines, your vote for that game will be disqualified.
  • Game must have have been released on Steam in 2015.
  • Re-releases, ports, and remasters are only eligible if the original source material was not previously available on Steam. For example, games such as Final Fantasy V or even Chip's Challenge are eligible because those games were not previously available on Steam. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition are not eligible because they are both remasters of existing Steam games.
  • Episodic games are only eligible if their final episode was released in 2015. For example, King's Quest is not eligible, because only the first two episodes released in 2015. However, Tales from the Borderlands is eligible even though it came out in 2014 because it's final episode was released in 2015.
  • Games released on Steam Early Access in 2015 are not eligible. Games releasing out of Early Access are eligible. For example, ARK: Survival Evolved is not eligible, but Nuclear Throne is eligible.
  • DLC is not eligible. Sorry Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms.
  • Multiple votes for the same game on a single ballot will be disqualified. If you list the same game multiple times, the vote with the highest point value will be used and all other votes for that game will be discarded.
  • If you have any questions about a particular game's eligibility, ask in the Steam thread and we should be able to help you.
  • Modbot is not eligible to vote due to the fact that he is a bot.

Tizoc

Anyone got a spare Papo & Yo key they don't need? :X

I don't think I'll participate in SteamGAF GotY mainly as not only have there been MANY games this year that I've enjoyed and my picks are too obscure :p

neoemonk

yeah...you can request a thermal pad to put on the card yourself http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

they'll also be putting out a new VBIOS to address the issue as well...they said it'll be out in a few days

or you can request an RMA for a new card with the issues already addressed

Or you can be blissfully ignorant that your card may be a ticking time bomb until your PC turns off instantly in the middle of a gaming session like I did!

NeoRaider

If nothing else Mafia's 3 disastrous launch dropped that price so fast. Already available for around 20$ @cdkeys.

I feel bad for ppl who pre-ordered on GMG, HB and other sites that don't offer refunds.

Coreda

All I do know is that DLC (regardless of it's size, quality, etc) is not eligible for nomination. So, for example, The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine isn't eligible, although I'm sure a few people will be upset about that.

So DLC is being broadly considered any additional content that requires the base game? Both Witcher 3 expansions for example saw physical releases. IDK, for releases like that and the AoE expansion example given it seems like it rules out some gems.

Backlogger

Speaking of Graphics Cards issues I hooked up my MSI 1070 last night and so far its amazing. Tested out Witcher 3 on Ultra (its a dream) and Far Cry Primal on Ultra with high-res textures. Both games looked incredible and I had zero issues keeping 60 FPS at 1440p. This is all at stock card settings. I haven't messed with overclocking or anything yet.

That being said, it looks like I did not luck out and ended up with Micron VRAM... I haven't experienced any issues though that I am aware of and I am not an expert on the matter either.

MSI hasn't posted their bios update for that yet but they are apparently working on it.

dex3108

I just looke at Firewatch and The Witness numbers on Steam. Even though they are not same genre i think it is interesting to compare them. Firewatch is now at 420K sold copies and The Witness is at 140K. They both released at the same time but in my opinion price had huge impact on sales for both of those. I still think that The Witness would sold way better if price was 25-30$ instead of 40$.

Nonary Games will apparently cost 40$, that's more than i expected.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01MDTQXWV/1242363-20/

The package is worth it. These are two full games that are really good. Each took me 30 hours to complete, although the first one did have a lot of repetition (which I'm sure will be fixed for this remaster). Both games have several endings and it's worth getting them all to understand the characters and the universe more thoroughly.

I just looke at Firewatch and The Witness numbers on Steam. Even though they are not same genre i think it is interesting to compare them. Firewatch is now at 420K sold copies and The Witness is at 140K. They both released at the same time but in my opinion price had huge impact on sales for both of those. I still think that The Witness would sold way better if price was 25-30$ instead of 40$.

This is kind of sad because The Witness is about a hundred times better than Firewatch.

jshackles

DROD is kind of a special case - the games are available as separate entries everywhere but on Steam, but Valve didn't grant the devs more release slots, so they put all the games as DLC for the introductory game.

So DLC is being broadly considered any additional content that requires the base game? Both Witcher 3 expansions for example saw physical releases. IDK, for releases like that and the AoE expansion example given it seems like it rules out some gems.

As this is a "Steam GOTY", we're going off Steam's own definition of DLC.

Blood and Wine is by it's very definition the reason this rule exists, as The Witcher 3 took the #1 spot in last year's GOTY voting. It's kind of like the reason we have term limits for public officials, we don't want a single game to create an oligarchy over multiple years' lists.

Phinor

I've thought the same ever since those games released. The Witness should have been the one that sells half a million in half a year but that price made it impossible. It might give it an extremely profitable long tail though. Firewatch should have been a hard sell for the masses considering the lack of gameplay and length, but it has done really well so far. It will definitely land on my top 10 of the year.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (stan423321, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Never Alone Arctic Collection (Steam) -- MB-5A7980D47C29A4ED - Taken by Jalal
Papo & Yo (Steam) -- MB-138EA404532E1471 - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.

t1478113544z1.png

Blood and Wine is by it's very definition the reason this rule exists, as The Witcher 3 took the #1 spot in last year's GOTY voting. It's kind of like the reason we have term limits for public officials, we don't want a single game to create an oligarchy over multiple years' lists.

Maybe consider a separate DLC/expansions category then? All DLC is not equal. Things like Blood & Wine or Arma 3 Apex are properly huge content updates that could warrant being a standalone game by themselves. It seems unfair to exclude them arbitrarily because they are a continuation of a previous game, especially in today's gaming landscape where everyone is just dying to latch onto the 'games as a service' model.

Knurek

Yes, but this was during MRObama's term, now that morning J. bus is running the show, maybe we should have new rules? Like, Serious Sam 3 being the automatic Steam GOTY every year?

jshackles

Maybe consider a separate DLC/expansions category then? All DLC is not equal. Things like Blood & Wine or Arma 3 Apex are properly huge content updates that could warrant being a standalone game by themselves. It seems unfair to exclude them arbitrarily because they are a continuation of a previous game, especially in today's gaming landscape where everyone is just dying to latch on the 'games as a service' model.

I did toy with the idea of doing separate categories last year, and will definitely be revisiting that decision when the time comes.

Wok

Imagine for a second how underwhelming it would be to have a DLC be SteamGAF's GOTY... What about a free update for Rocket League, or a Dota 2 patch then?

Only separate categories would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom