• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

HITMAN (2016) is the best, don't need no Nioh on PC when you got this.

236870_20161102182645saojb.png

Nioh is probably happening though.

Vibranium

Banned
Holy schnikes, Batman Arkham Asylum is a ton of fun. Had to force myself to stop. Playing it is a joy. So much attention to detail, such awesome world-building, dense atmosphere to the brim.

I wish we could get a semi-linear superhero game like Arkham Asylum again. Marvel should use that formula for some of their heroes. I mean, open-world makes sense for Spidey and the Avengers, but they could also do a smaller game set on The Raft (Marvel supervillain prison) or something.

Backlogger

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Backlogger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Memoria -- MB-A6EC2C00A66E685D - Taken by bobnowhere
Papo & Yo -- MB-EE9F5BAC20340F15 - Taken by SunDimension24

Is remastered Batman that much different from the PC version?

Some effects and assets are better in the Remaster while others are worse just like Bioshock remasters. They can just offer us the remasters for free like with Skyrim, Bioshock 1&2, The Vanishing of Ethan carter, MIND Path to Thalamus etc... and let us choose whether to play the original or remastered version.

Tizoc

Owlboy is fun, but a bit too many steal sections at the beginning of the game for my taste.
There are no stealth sections in the first dungeon iirc tho i think i k ow which section ur talking about
I didnt have a problem with that section tbh and the game does give u 2-3 seconds to be airborne before getting caught

The 2nd area has them but theyre not that bad and is all a matter of memorizing patterns and then ur good to progress

KingKong

Owlboy is fun, but a bit too many steal sections at the beginning of the game for my taste.

Im only an hour in but its not really grabbing me. It feels very simple and not that satisfying to play, I wish it was much faster. The art is great though

Is remastered Batman that much different from the PC version?

They fucked up some of the faces and lighting but overall the textures look much better. I wish PC got the update too, I'd pick up AA for sure. Without that I don't see any reason to go back since I beat it years ago on PS3 and the combat is really basic compared to Knight or even City. For all the shit it got, AK certainly has the best combat and gameplay variety of the series. And those graphics mah god.

Jimrpg

All I do know is that DLC (regardless of it's size, quality, etc) is not eligible for nomination. So, for example, The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine isn't eligible, although I'm sure a few people will be upset about that. For not-DLC stuff, it has to have a store page that shows it was released in 2016, and games that are thematically connected will be voted on separately. In fact, it might be easier if I just post last year's rules (which aren't likely to change outside of the dates and references) so you can get an early idea of what is and isn't eligible.

Here is the selection criteria. If you choose a game that doesn't meet these guidelines, your vote for that game will be disqualified.
  • Game must have have been released on Steam in 2015.
  • Re-releases, ports, and remasters are only eligible if the original source material was not previously available on Steam. For example, games such as Final Fantasy V or even Chip's Challenge are eligible because those games were not previously available on Steam. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition are not eligible because they are both remasters of existing Steam games.
  • Episodic games are only eligible if their final episode was released in 2015. For example, King's Quest is not eligible, because only the first two episodes released in 2015. However, Tales from the Borderlands is eligible even though it came out in 2014 because it's final episode was released in 2015.
  • Games released on Steam Early Access in 2015 are not eligible. Games releasing out of Early Access are eligible. For example, ARK: Survival Evolved is not eligible, but Nuclear Throne is eligible.
  • DLC is not eligible. Sorry Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms.
  • Multiple votes for the same game on a single ballot will be disqualified. If you list the same game multiple times, the vote with the highest point value will be used and all other votes for that game will be discarded.
  • If you have any questions about a particular game's eligibility, ask in the Steam thread and we should be able to help you.
  • Modbot is not eligible to vote due to the fact that he is a bot.

Just my two cents - but I'd like to see GOTY open to more games for example

- A port should be eligible like Dark Souls II:SOTFS, honestly if it does win hats off to the port.
- DLC should be eligible. Something like Blood and Wine should totally be in the running for GOTY. A doubt a costume pack from DOA5 is going to win so allowing DLC to be part of the GOTY makes sense to me.
-Early Access is a tricky one - most of the hype has died down by the time the game is fully released, but I suppose the only way around that would be to make EA titles eligible throughout the development period which wouldn't really work either.

So, Rimworld news:

RPS made an article on how Rimworld handles relationships, digging into and analysing the ways relationships, sexual orientation, attraction, and mood works in the game. It's an excellent article and highly worth a read--very comprehensive and interesting stuff. Essentially, the author goes right down into the code, analyising the variables, and concludes that unintentionally-or-not Rimworld reinforces sexist stereotypes and is altogether questionable in nature with how it decides the Way Things Work™.

Now, the end of the article has this note, which was added after some questions in the comments:
Editor’s note: The developer was contacted for interview as part of this article, but declined to take part unless we ceded editorial control over the publishing of that interview. We do not cede editorial control to developers or interview subjects and so no interview took place.

And this is where the the real story begins: the developer of Rimworld, Tynan Sylvester, hops into the comments and has a large amounts of words about how everything was handled. In short... uh... well... see for yourself (there's a lot more I've left out):
TynanSylvester says:

I’m the developer of RimWorld.

The author of this anger-farming hit piece did email me asking if she could ask me some questions. However, she wanted to edit my responses. When I said I’d be willing to answer questions, but not if the responses were edited, she went silent. I guess she wasn’t willing to print the other side of the story if she didn’t have the power to edit it.

There’s also some blatant lying in this article, where the author pretends not to know things that I specifically told her. [LurkerPrime note: Read the article and source to get the lowdown for this. His examples aren't worth posting.]

[...]
Now onto the ‘journalism’. The way this is written is disgusting. There’s no attempt to get an explanation or understanding of why the code works as it does. The decision was specifically made to not ask me any question, or understand why these decisions were made, or comprehend the research or meaning behind them. It’s purely written in the style of a witch hunt – point at the heretic, maliciously misinterpret everything in the most moralistic, angry way possible, and harvest the resulting anger for clicks.

I saw it coming a mile away, which is why I wanted my words to be printed unedited.

Is this journalism? No, because it doesn’t make the minimal effort to get or present the truth fairly.

Is it opinion? No, it’s not an editorial.

It’s anger-farming, combined with a moralistic witch hunt. It’s the worst kind of click-bait – they type that generates anger on purpose, where none needed to exist, in a community that was perfectly at peace beforehand.

Notice how it specifically skirts as close to calling me a “malicious” person as possible without actually making the claim.

[...]

[Source: in the comments below the article]

RPS then responded to why they need editorial control (there's some more here as well, same source as above):
Graham Smith says:

Hi Tynan!

I made the decision not to accept the conditions you laid out for the interview. We have a policy not to cede editorial control to developers or interview subjects. There are a bunch of reasons for this – for example, quotes read better when broken up and used in an article rather than presented in long, separate blocks. Also, sometimes people say libelous things, and we can’t promise to publish things that might trigger lawsuits. And in general, our readers expect us to be editorially independent.

This article is written in good faith. It makes no accusations as to your intent. It does not mention you. It caveats the criticisms by making clear that the game is unfinished. Still, I think criticisms of the messages the game sends right now is fair, regardless of whether those messages will change in future – as is criticism of the negative impact those decisions have over the game design. It’s also clear from your comments that most of the decisions we’re criticising in the article were intentional.

[...]
There's a bit more back and forth between Tynan and some others, but it's mostly a lot of noise. There are, naturally, a lot of user comments for this article.

Between the Notch thread and this, today has been a dark day for my respect of developers. Like, if I didn't already have Rimworld I'd be thinking long and hard over the actual value of it right now. What a disappointment.

Pixieking

Banned
A quick glance through that Rimworld stuff makes me think Tynan doesn't know how actual journalism works... To back-up what RPS say, when a paper like The Washington Post conducts an interview, they explicitly state that the interview has been shortened or edited for length and clarity. It's a pretty standard feature of newspapers.

Also, it makes him look really paranoid that he wouldn't do an interview without the control he wanted.

Edit: He could've even compromised, if he was afraid what the writer was going to say - give up control, but request that he be sent a copy of the article prior to publication, so he could form a response. It's not unheard of.

oipic

Hard to fathom how Sylvester thought he could react in this manner without it being a potential PR disaster, but I guess this is one of the perils of solo development - the media side of things being thrust upon you without necessarily having the requisite tools to deal with it is a minefield.

Bang, just like that: reputation tarnished, and Rimworld to some degree by association.

Wok

To be the devil's advocate, I imagine the dev received some angry insulting emails after that RPS article was published, so I can understand why he is reacting that way: the game was really well-received by fans, and suddenly, an article is written that introduces noise and anger in the development process and fan reception. Regarding the interview, this is basic journalism to allow people who are the subject of an article to write an answer. Edited or not.

jediyoshi

Between the Notch thread and this, today has been a dark day for my respect of developers. Like, if I didn't already have Rimworld I'd be thinking long and hard over the actual value of it right now. What a disappointment.

This is such a bizarre generalization. Do you think they all form into a singular secret cabal when no one is watching? Do you think it's equally as fair as someone lumping you in with those same developers as just people who interact with videogames?

In making that post I forgot to mention, I think a DLC/expansion/add-on category for Steam awards would be good. There's plenty of competition this year and it'd be really interesting to see what lands where.

I wouldn't even limit it to big DLCs or anything, just whatever additional content for a game that people like the most. Because it takes a lot of forms, big and small, or it can be kind of hard to quantify, like Crusader Kings 2's Reaper's Due.
This is such a bizarre generalization. Do you think they all form into a singular secret cabal when no one is watching? Do you think it's equally as fair as someone lumping you in with those same developers as just people who interact with videogames?
I guess that was poorly worded because I wasn't referring to all developers, just the two developers that disappointed me today. Like, it's not every day that two noteworthy devs drop PR bombs like that.

valouris

Another giveaway from my spares from Day of the Devs bundle. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for valouris:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (valouris, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Age -- MB-9FE1CDD1CABAC45B - Taken by Patison. 6 entrants total.
Grim Fandango Remastered -- MB-B508FF1A6EF7BB70 - Taken by Luap. 10 entrants total.

t1478246719z1.png

I think there should be a Best DLC, Best Early Access, and Best Old Game of 2016 categories. The beauty of a Steam GOTY is that we can do whatever we want and no one can stop us. Best Graphical Effect, Best PC Port, Best Season Pass. STOP ME I COULD GO ON FOR DAYS!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I could sware you could have 2 sets of weapons equipped and quickly switch in SKyrim but I cant figure out how to do it on the SE.

Like im playing a stealth archer this time around (as opposed to a mage) and its all fine and dandy when im far away but when they get close I want to quickly change to a sword or something. Also, I need to buy arrows or something >_>

Sarcasm

I could sware you could have 2 sets of weapons equipped and quickly switch in SKyrim but I cant figure out how to do it on the SE.

Like im playing a stealth archer this time around (as opposed to a mage) and its all fine and dandy when im far away but when they get close I want to quickly change to a sword or something. Also, I need to buy arrows or something >_>

1. Open inventory and highlight the item
2. Hit the F key to add that item to favorites.
3. EXIT inventory.
4. Hit Q to bring up the favorites list.
5. Scroll through the list and highlight the item you want to hotkey.
6. Hold the number key you want that item hotkeyed to.

Durante

I just looke at Firewatch and The Witness numbers on Steam. Even though they are not same genre i think it is interesting to compare them. Firewatch is now at 420K sold copies and The Witness is at 140K. They both released at the same time but in my opinion price had huge impact on sales for both of those. I still think that The Witness would sold way better if price was 25-30$ instead of 40$.
Would that have been better for them?

This way, they got 140k sales at full price and will still get more when they reach lower price points.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*wastes almost full clip on first zombie, goes back to Barry and a cutscene runs as if I hadnt killed the zombie at all

not the best start there REmake >_>

Orgen

My first giveaway, so there you go! :D

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Orgen, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Age -- MB-350DFC9BD4427844 - Taken by Jawmuncher. 1 entrants total.
Uncanny Valley -- MB-B61E0BFE1E5C017E - Taken by derFeef. 2 entrants total.
Spaera (Early Access) -- MB-62D6315BF54479CC - Taken by Ludens. 6 entrants total.

t1478178251z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom