• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
See, that's why RE7 will be a linear corridor VR experience.
*weeps*

so you are defending an obvious flawed game design with "LOLCASUALS"?

I killed the zombie, the cutscene plays. I dont kill the zombie (saving a bunch of ammo), the cut scene plays. Truly for real gamer that is.

Ryne

There are no stealth sections in the first dungeon iirc tho i think i k ow which section ur talking about
I didnt have a problem with that section tbh and the game does give u 2-3 seconds to be airborne before getting caught

The 2nd area has them but theyre not that bad and is all a matter of memorizing patterns and then ur good to progress

I'm counting about three so far:
sneaking past the first pirate attack

sneaking past the gnomes in the owl dungeon

sneaking past the second pirate attack at the capital city

Jawmuncher

I killed the zombie, the cutscene plays. I dont kill the zombie (saving a bunch of ammo), the cut scene plays. Truly for real gamer that is.

That's the only instance in the game with anything like that. Consudering how early it happens just restart and run away. It you're playing on normal or easy as Jill you're gonna get a lot of that ammo back.

As was said that was in the original, but it actually plays out slightly different from the original this time.

As for your other bit, I personally feel like even with the easier settings capcom is scared to go full on classic style and nothing else for a new game. They took a chance with 0 and REmake since they were cheap to do.

But RE2make? I highly doubt will be classic only if they plan to sell it at $60. REmake on PS+ was proof enough a lot of people will write it off if they do.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Would that have been better for them?

This way, they got 140k sales at full price and will still get more when they reach lower price points.
This kind of discussion us a bit disgusting to me.

Firewatch is an ambient adventure game.

The Witness is a puzzle game, first and foremost.

I don't see how they are adversarial, as games.

Tizoc

It isnt a flawed game design though esp. If they kept it from the original release of the game

Corpekata

Banned
It isnt a flawed game design though esp. If they kept it from the original release of the game

It is a flaw, there's no way around that.

But it is a minor one that clearly has origins in technical / budget issues so it's not exactly worth wringing hands over.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It is a flaw, there's no way around that.

But it is a minor one that clearly has origins in technical / budget issues so it's not exactly worth wringing hands over.

its not a big deal, it just jumped out at me is all, maybe the "not a good start REmake" bit was a bit strong, good to know theres not more shit like that.

But like you say, its a clear flaw, and to wave that off as "thats why gamez are linear these days!" is like...what?

duppolo

i always have so many games to play and no game at all to play at the same time....and then i alway open some multiplayer game and burn hours this way

MaxiLive

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MaxiLive, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Papo & Yo -- MB-EB5461D28C6B84E4 - Taken by ThirtyFour. 3 entrants total.
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball -- MB-13A270D8A9A9301F - Taken by Dangerblade. 3 entrants total.

t1478183304z1.png

Some games! I really enjoyed Papo & Yo

Pixieking

Banned
i always have so many games to play and no game at all to play at the same time....and then i alway open some multiplayer game and burn hours this way

It's not multiplayer, but I'm like this with Hexcells Infinite - 60 hours, 527 puzzles completed. I've got Civ Vi, Elite: Dangerous, CK2, Stellaris.

Think I might have to uninstall it for my own health.

Annubis

So, Rimworld news:

RPS made an article on how Rimworld handles relationships, digging into and analysing the ways relationships, sexual orientation, attraction, and mood works in the game.

Between the Notch thread and this, today has been a dark day for my respect of developers. Like, if I didn't already have Rimworld I'd be thinking long and hard over the actual value of it right now. What a disappointment.

*** FROM USER
So I'm sure you've seen it discussed extensively that gay colonists need some tweaks, from a game balance perspective. The community generally agrees that advances between colonists of incompatible sexualities should be decreased, so they would stop getting "rebuffed" mood penalties needlessly.
This isn't particularly urgent in my opinion, since there are (as usual in Rimworld) some creative and questionably moral ways to get around this. I've expressed my opinions, and you can react however you please; it's your game. But if you're already planning on changing the code for romancing/sexuality, I have a few things to request:
First off, I'm bi, and no colonists are bisexual in Rimworld. It would nice to get some representation, blah blah blah... In truth this isn't a big deal to me personally, I just thought I might bring it to your attention that we exist.
Now, one thing that really does bother me, both from a game-balance and "political" point of view, is a conclusion drawn from this thread: "set a value that multiplies attractiveness by 0.15 at the end, then keep going. That's right - women are always a little bit bi." If neither gender had this multiplier, I would write it off as you not wanting to overcomplicate game mechanics (not that you need to or seem to feel the need to). If both did, I don't think anyone would have a problem. It could even be a minor workaround fix for the current complaints, allowing gay colonists to have a small chance to succeed in their advances on straight ones.
But at the risk of calling your opinions invalid (not my intent) I have to insist that being "bi-curious" is not asymmetrical between genders, as you seem to imply in this code. I'm not going to tell you how to make your game, and I certainly have no intentions of telling you how to think, but I just wanted to express my opinion as an admiring member of your game's community. Overall you've created something great that a lot of people enjoy.
*** FROM DEV
Hi there, thanks for the mail.
I think bi-curiosity is quite asymmetrical between sexes. I've developed this view from research, and it also aligns with what I've observed personally.
Research: http://www.advocate.com/bisexuality/2015/08/26/study-women-are-more-likely-be-bisexual-men
The above study indicates that a larger proportion of women who identify as straight are bi-curious or have engaged in bisexual behavior.
Research: http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/Gates-How-Many-People-LGBT-Apr-2011.pdf
The above paper indicates (on page 6 specifically) that of people who identify as gay/lesbian/bi, the proportion of bi among women is about double the proportion of bi men.
And personal observations: I've known some bi women and a large proportion of the nominally straight women I've known have discussed bi impulses or experiences they've had. In contrast, every bi man I've ever known has ultimately ended up identifying as gay. These patterns seem to apply even in very gay-friendly social contexts.
Of course I'm sure bi/bi-curious men exist, but the research and what I've seen supports the conclusion that they're rarer than bi women. Conversely, gay women seem to be rarer than gay men.
Nor am I an expert in all this; the game simply attempts a very rough approximation of some patterns from real life. In truth I never did a full analysis of every possible situation this code could run into. I'm sure various numbers are wrong. But, it's functional and gets the job done.
In truth I hate these discussions because there's really no way to reach agreement. So I don't ask you to agree with me necessarily, only to understand why I would make these choices given the research and observations I've found.
Best
Ty
*** FROM USER
Wow, thanks for this great reply! I think you should post an explanation like this somewhere public. (Maybe you did, and I missed it) I'm sure people like me would appreciate that you put a lot of thought into this, rather than just basing it on stereotype. That was my biggest concern, honestly. This is great!
But the other burning question - just because I'm curious: Are you planning on tweaking the code? The "dealing with attractive lesbians" thread is actually the highest scoring one of all time in /r/rimworld, heh. No judgement either way, I'm just wondering your thoughts on the functionality of it. Thanks again!
*** FROM DEV
Sadly these discussions, had in public, have a tendency to attract people that enjoy conflict. So I choose to just try to do something reasonable (that I can explain if ultimately necessary), but not to put out justifications for it because they'd be bait for any Internet flame-wars. Because you know no matter what I say some people will hate it - and some of those might hate it a lot, and I just have better things to do than deal with that. It's a sad thing about the Net.
As for the lesbians, I added a "gaydar" factor so colonists will be less likely to attempt romance with others of non-matching orientation. That was easy - just something I didn't think to add before. Of course awkward interactions will still happen, just not so constantly and repeatedly, because that made little sense and screwed up the balance.
Best Ty

Truly, what a horrible person
/s

"But I don't wanna deal with the hassle of fiddling the settings" suddenly becomes "amazing how much choice i have!"

Thats what I can see.

"You have the choice now. If you like 60fps, you can play on 1080p.
If you like high resolutions, you can play in 4k!"

Of course its good to have choice, but still. Kinda strange what the "Plug and Play" consoles are now.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Orgen, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Orgen, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Age -- MB-350DFC9BD4427844 - Taken by Jawmuncher. 1 entrants total.
Uncanny Valley -- MB-B61E0BFE1E5C017E - Taken by derFeef. 2 entrants total.
Spaera (Early Access) -- MB-62D6315BF54479CC - Taken by Ludens. 6 entrants total.

t1478178251z1.png

The latest in my haphazard series of me playing bundlejunk so you don't have to.

One of those tap shooters from mobile but a very decent one.

Zombies have invaded and you are holed up on the roof of a service station desperately trying to survive. Each level is a wave of various zombies: fast, slow, tough, wolves, zombies with balloons, zombies with helicopters and zombies with jetpacks! How they had the organisational skills to master jetpack construction in a zombified state is not explained.

After a few levels you are joined by a sniper girl and a rocket launcher guy that the game controls and you then have to work your way through 30 levels and finally the end boss. Thankfully the grind isn't too bad. You can usually do 4-5 levels easily before you need to improve your guys and abilities and money is plentiful. It's only till the last two levels where using special abilities that were no doubt extra currency on mobile are required but it is easy to grind level 28 a couple times to make the end levels a breeze.

The graphics are nice, the soundtrack equally so and some care has been taken to balance the game appropriately for paid PC. Good way to burn a couple of hours and is easy to 100% the achievements if you are in to that.

Cut down version of Transport Tycoon deluxe with only buses and no real progression

A group of disparate villages need an integrated bus network and it's up to you to build them one. Sadly this is just a very basic clone. Cities don't expand, routes don't seem to matter and the only thing that effects passenger numbers is the size of the bus stop. A tiny village can have 350 people waiting at the bus stop if you make one big enough.

The bugs, oh the bugs! Stops go blank and stop working, suddenly no one wants to catch a bus at all if you try to upgrade a station without the room to expand. Buses will get stuck navigating a 90 degree bend causing an almighty traffic jam and then just blow up without warning. Roads constantly need repairs until all of a sudden they didn't etc...

There's no real challenge in the game, the graphics are poor, bugs galore and the game doesn't seem to have any goal. Get OpenTTD instead, it's free and vastly superior.

Somewhere between Mars and Earth something has gone wrong and it's up to you to save the crew.

Choose your own adventure set onboard a disabled spacecraft where you the ship's AI unit have to instruct the crew how to get back to earth. At various intervals crew members ask for help in various tasks: Who should fix the engines? How should we deal with an exterior threat? I'm freaking out talk me down from the ledge! The psychological effects of choices also need to be taken into account. Some people are just not cut out to do certain things.

Each game should only take about 30-40mins and the game can be replayed with different choices made though to be honest there wasn't that many hard choices to make. It was mostly replaying the same conversations with a couple of heavily telegraphed choices here and there.

The pixel graphics and very nice and overall this is a very good effort. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get all the crew back to earth!

The feel of stable resolution.

I wouldnt even be too sure about it. A lot of K-T games have their animations locked at 30fps.

Like in Arslan you can play it in 60fps on PC, but some of the special animations are locked at 30. Wouldnt be surprised if some in Ni-Oh might be too.

Also I need to write a proper Masquerada review. TL:DR version: if you are in it for a story experience, you'll probably love it. If you are more interested in the battle system it will probably frustrate you.

Fun fact: Canada-Steam uses the same weird C$ symbol in the client, for wallet money. I want to say the store did too for a long time, but eventually migrated over to the (more correct) CDN$.

I still don't understand where either of them are getting it from. Maybe no other "C" country uses dollars, which makes it unambiguous? That's all I can think of.
*** FROM USER

*** FROM DEV

*** FROM USER

*** FROM DEV

Truly, what a horrible person
/s
FYI, The Technomancer made a thread on the RPS article and its reception. If you haven't read the article he does a much better job than me at highlighting the article's info.

Lain

Xanadu Next still not out? 4 hours still to go? Time to send Tizoc over to XSEED to have a talk to speed that timer up.

Parsnip

Of course Jace does his super giveaways when I'm not around.
Though I suck at trivia anyway, so eh.

And I also haven't played first Dishonored yet.
Maybe some day.

ExoSoul

Banned
On this day some individuals chose to celebrate the fact that I managed to not die in a 365 day time window.

Boy were they wrong...

sorry for no giveaway :x

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Fun fact: Canada-Steam uses the same weird C$ symbol in the client, for wallet money. I want to say the store did too for a long time, but eventually migrated over to the (more correct) CDN$.

I still don't understand where either of them are getting it from. Maybe no other "C" country uses dollars, which makes it unambiguous? That's all I can think of.

FYI, The Technomancer made a thread on the RPS article and its reception. If you haven't read the article he does a much better job than me at highlighting the article's info.

Oh dang, taking this off my wishlist now that I know that the dude's a creepy gator. Game looked promising, too.

I mean thats what people said about when patches came to consoles, installations etc.

Now we have day1 patches, mandatory installations, normal patches etc.
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. My point was there is no fiddling with settings because there is no settings. You pick 60fps or 30fps mode then play. No fucking with shadows/AA/textures/LOD/etc

Hell, most games don't even give you that option on Pro from what I've seen, Nioh seems to be one of the only games that is giving you that choice of framerate.
4K30fps 1080p60fps and 1080p30fps with AA are three.

The same as choosing between different presets on PC imho.
1080p30 and 4k30 are the same. The 1080p is supersampled for people without 4k tvs. It's not even close to the same thing, but I am in the Steam thread talking about consoles after all.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. My point was there is no fiddling with settings because there is no settings. You pick 60fps or 30fps mode then play. No fucking with shadows/AA/textures/LOD/etc

Hell, most games don't even give you that option on Pro from what I've seen, Nioh seems to be one of the only games that is giving you that choice of framerate.

I mean thats how it might start. Also on PC you also dont need to fuck with shadows. You can choose Low, Medium, High (and Ultra) and if you want you can customize everything.

Such thing didnt exist on consoles before (at least not that I know of) and the PS4Pro and the new Xbox might be starting a trend of consoles even being more like PCs than ever.

Sendou

a384a884d9tdrgq.jpg

Got all achievements in DOOM not including the multiplayer DLC ones because I don't know in what world would I pay for them. In short it is a "restored my faith in gaming" tier of a FPS. What a year this has been for shooters.

Achievement hunting wise the game has been designed pretty well. You can go back to explore levels with all of your gear and abilities and quit out right after you get the collectables you need. It isn't really a difficult game. "What else ya got!" can bug out on you so be mindful of that. Luckily you don't have to spend too much time in multiplayer either. Hard to believe it was some kind of focus pre-release (I mean look at their DLC plan!) Not saying I don't crave a proper, modernized area shooter but this is not it.

Deques

a384a884d9tdrgq.jpg

Got all achievements in DOOM not including the multiplayer DLC ones because I don't know in what world would I pay for them. In short it is a "restored my faith in gaming" tier of a FPS. What a year this has been for shooters.

Achievement hunting wise the game has been designed pretty well. You can go back to explore levels with all of your gear and abilities and quit out right after you get the collectables you need. It isn't really a difficult game. "What else ya got!" can bug out on you so be mindful of that. Luckily you don't have to spend too much time in multiplayer either. Hard to believe it was some kind of focus pre-release (I mean look at their DLC plan!) Not saying I don't crave a proper, modernized area shooter but this is not it.

There is an achievement hunter group, but it seems to be invite only. You could try the game's Steam forums, maybe there are some people who also want to do the MP achievements

Rhaknar

not sure how im feeling about REmake tbh, maybe sometimes you cant go back.

Great level, visual and sound design but awful controls (new or old it doesnt really matter) and the ridiculous inventory system are doing my head in.

I even get what they were going for (originally that is, not in the remake) but no. Make it so I cant carry enough ammo or health kits, whatever you want to pretend to make it harder, dont make it so I cant cary a lighter (for example) because it takes 1 slot in your awful inventory system, the same slot as a shotgun. Or a key. Nobody likes encumberance and this is encumberance from hell.

Maybe I should give RE4 more credit, at least that one had a much better inventory whilst still keeping with the limit idea, I never felt frustrated with that one and I played it recently.

Also the game is basically a 3d point and click adventure, I forgot how much like those it was back then. Of course point and click adventures dont limit you to 6 items :p

Further validating my theory on RE2make. Don't worry it's not just you. The style doesn't gel with a lot of people.

I loved it back then you know... but I was a stupid kid so what did I know >_>

Jawmuncher

not sure how im feeling about REmake tbh, maybe sometimes you cant go back.

Great level, visual and sound design but awful controls (new or old it doesnt really matter) and the ridiculous inventory system are doing my head in.

I even get what they were going for (originally that is, not in the remake) but no. Make it so I cant carry enough ammo or health kits, whatever you want to pretend to make it harder, dont make it so I cant cary a lighter (for example) because it takes 1 slot in your awful inventory system, the same slot as a shotgun. Or a key. Nobody likes encumberance and this is encumberance from hell.

Maybe I should give RE4 more credit, at least that one had a much better inventory whilst still keeping with the limit idea, I never felt frustrated with that one and I played it recently.

Also the game is basically a 3d point and click adventure, I forgot how much like those it was back then. Of course point and click adventures dont limit you to 6 items :p

Further validating my theory on RE2make. Don't worry it's not just you. The style doesn't gel with a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom