• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on doing a bit of an unconventional giveaway, just trying figure out if any of you would be interested in it. I will gift up to three copies of Xanadu Next, one for each winner obviously.

You can enter if you satisfy the conditions outlined below.

A. You don't already own The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter.

If you choose to enter the giveaway and end up winning, you agree to the following.

A. Buy a copy of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter directly on Steam.
B. When obtaining The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter trading and exploiting regional pricing is not allowed.
C. I need the receipts! Provide proof of purchase.

This might seem as an odd (to put it mildly) and slightly cumbersome approach to do a giveaway. The idea here is to first and foremost turn people on to Nihon Falcom's fantastic catalogue of RPGs, which in turn supports XSEED's porting efforts. It's a win for all parties, yes you need to buy a game at full price (if you end up winning), but in the end you end up with two highly regarded games. Someone did a giveaway in a similar fashion for D4 (shortly after it was released on Xbox One). Let me know what you guys think, I hope that I have explained the rules adequately.

I need to work on my shilling game, I'm getting completely left in the dust here lol.

ExoSoul

Banned
I am planning on doing a bit of an unconventional giveaway, just trying figure out if any of you would be interested in it. I will gift up to three copies of Xanadu Next, one for each winner obviously.

A. You don't already own The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter.

If you choose to enter the giveaway and end up winning, you agree to the following.

A. Buy a copy of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter directly on Steam.
B. When obtaining The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter trading and exploiting regional pricing is not allowed.

This might seem as an odd (to put it mildly) and slightly cumbersome approach to do a giveaway. The idea here is to first and foremost turn people on to Nihon Falcom's fantastic catalogue of RPGs, which in turn supports XSEED's porting efforts. It's a win for all parties, yes you need to buy a game at full price (if you end up winning), but in the end you end up with two highly regarded games. Someone did a giveaway in a similar fashion for D4 (shortly after it was released on Xbox One). Let me know what you guys think, I hope that I have explained the rules adequately.

so in order to win a 18€ game you want us to buy a 28€ game?

He never specified when you had to buy it.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

BROFORCE -- MB-DF07ACACA0690B45 - Taken by ThirtyFour. 10 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Styx Master of Shadows -- MB-9CF379C93843862C - Taken by laserlaser. 30 entrants total.

t1478307825z1.png

Deques

Why won't you let us buy from a cheaper region?

Blu(e)

He is also asking the winner to buy the game at full price. So even waiting wouldn't yield any benefits since you can't wait for a sale unless you don't even have the money pick it up if you won the game.

It's also the second game. Be weird if the winner won the game, had to buy the second chapter without owning the first game .

Nillansan

I actually did, but I guess I should have made it more clear. The idea is that if you enter the giveaway AND end up actually winning the giveaway, you agree to buy the game. Let me put it this way, you don't need to buy the game to enter the giveaway, but if you win, you agree to buy the game in order to receive Xanadu Next.

ExoSoul

Banned
He is also asking the winner to buy the game at full price. So even waiting wouldn't yield any benefits since you can't wait for a sale unless you don't even have the money pick it up if you won the game.

It's also the second game. Be weird if the winner won the game, had to buy the second chapter without owning the first game .

At the deathbed
Promi-*cough* promise me you'll do one last thing for me.
Buy a copy of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter directly on Steam and send Nillansan the receipts.....

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

I7Ufybq.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-7B8386DEFFBF2F7D - Taken by Kurt Russell. 8 entrants total.

t1478308287z1.png

I actually did, but I guess I should have made it more clear. The idea is that if you enter the giveaway AND end up actually winning the giveaway, you agree to buy the game. Let me put it this way, you don't need to buy the game to enter the giveaway, but if you win, you agree to buy the game in order to receive Xanadu Next.

Knowing some people on GAF they buy the Game, give you proof they bought it and after 1 week refund it.

Nillansan

Why won't you let us buy from a cheaper region?

See the last bit in my initial post. I want to support XSEED's porting efforts.

It's also the second game. Be weird if the winner won the game, had to buy the second chapter without owning the first game.

First Chapter sold quite well and the giveaway might serve as an incentive for people to actually start playing it.

bigzgod

Knowing some people on GAF they buy the Game, give you proof they bought it and after 1 week refund it.

Unfortunately people will do that. My suggestion would be that anyone who wins the game agrees to buy the game AND play it for 2 hours or more to receive the game. You should also specify that whoever enters must own FC, since you'll be missing out on quite a bit skipping FC to go to SC directly.

AHA-Lambda

ModBot said:
Instructions for AHA-Lambda:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (AHA-Lambda, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dishonored Definitive Edition -- MB-E4A486259DC31AAE - Taken by Bowlie. 11 entrants total.

t1478298619z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I am slightly disappointed by the snarkiness.

what is the purpose of a giveaway? in theory, for someone to get a game they want and maybe they cant afford right now one assumes right?

Otherwise, if they are a rich motherfucker, they just buy the game, they dont have to pray to the RNG gods to bestow them a chance at the game.

You are then making this person buy a more expensive game, that they had no intention of buying for whatever reason, in order to be able to win the game they do want.

They arent even similar games. Thats like saying "here is a giveaway for dragon's dogma, but you have to buy monster hunter first, because I want to support Capcom and they are both... third person I guess?"

I dont think the idea is bad. If you win, you still get Xanadu for about 10$ instead of 18$.
I just think people might be scummy about that, might refund game or wouldnt really play Trails.

I mean I own Trails 1+2 and havent actually started it, because its a long JRPG (and we still dont have the 3rd).

My wonder is how do you prove they purchased it from their region or not? ��

The history shows the price.

sakura6huq6.jpg

Wok

The winner will end up having 2 new games simultaneously, so 1 will end up in the backlog.

I think the most you can ask someone is to enter if they think they will enjoy the game (not just a +1) and then hope they play, enjoy the game and maybe write a review in this very thread.

Nillansan

Unfortunately people will do that. My suggestion would be that anyone who wins the game agrees to buy the game AND play it for 2 hours or more to receive the game. You should also specify that whoever enters must own FC, since you'll be missing out on quite a bit skipping FC to go to SC directly.

Yeah, I haven't thought this through. We've seen some scummy ass behaviour before so it's probably way too much effort to guard against that.

My wonder is how do you prove they purchased it from their region or not?

Yikes, I am not sure.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I just got me a hot new 360 wired controller. Been using a white one for forever, since launch. Started playing Titanfall 2 and thats the first game that has ultra sensitive dead zone and pointed out it had stick drift. Kept moving backwards at random. Damn a brand new controller feels really good. The other one was starting to lose the rubber on the sticks. It had a good run.

Ascheroth

I dont think the idea is bad. If you win, you still get Xanadu for about 10$ instead of 18$.
I just think people might be scummy about that, might refund game or wouldnt really play Trails.

I mean I own Trails 1+2 and havent actually started it, because its a long JRPG (and we still dont have the 3rd).

SC completes the main story, so don't let that stop you!

Nabs

Xanadu Next is crazy good. It's also kind of scary how easily you can end up playing for hours without realizing it.

What if it was a game comletion competition? You could use achievements to track progress. Just don't let that guy SAM participate. This is a bad fit for an epic-length RPG, but something not-quite-bitesize with a hard achievement would make it interesting, I think.

The propensity for cheating would probably make it untenable either way, though.
Maybe it has something to do with the new screenshots rule?

Warhammer came out in May, and I think it had gifs since launch, so I doubt it.

Ludens

Banned
The winner will end up having 2 new games simultaneously, so 1 will end up in the backlog.

I think the most you can ask someone is to enter if they think they will enjoy the game (not just a +1) and then hope they play, enjoy the game and maybe write a review in this very thread.

Sorry, but it's his giveaway after all. He can make any rule he wants, if you want to enter you need to accept the rules, otherwise you don't enter the giveaway.
If you want to enter and do not accept the rules, people can blacklist you. Really easy to me (I'm not talking to you Wok, but in general, beware).

Nillansan

At the deathbed
Promi-*cough* promise me you'll do one last thing for me.
Buy a copy of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter directly on Steam and send Nillansan the receipts.....

I am not sure how to interpret this, is this a jab at me?

That's way too much work. I get the gist of it though. Kinda makes it a buy Tits get Xanadu free

That was the idea, instead of a discount, which was the giveaway prize in the D4 thread, you'll get a new game.

If you buy it directly from Steam you can see it in your buying-history. Check out my post up there.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Good thing that SteamGAF backlogs aren't that big.

I think the most you can ask someone is to enter if they think they will enjoy the game (not just a +1) and then hope they play and enjoy the game.

I guess it's back to the drawing board. I will probably just do a traditional giveaway like you are suggesting.

Oreoleo

I just got me a hot new 360 wired controller. Been using a white one for forever, since launch. Started playing Titanfall 2 and thats the first game that has ultra sensitive dead zone and pointed out it had stick drift. Kept moving backwards at random. Damn a brand new controller feels really good. The other one was starting to lose the rubber on the sticks. It had a good run.

You had a 360 controller since 2005 and only recently noticed the stick drift?! I'm incredulous. I went through 3 360 controllers in like half the time dealing with the same problem.

Ganado

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ganado, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Humble Bundle #3 -- MB-5356A89CE94056CB - Taken by bloke. 1 entrants total.

t1478309503z1.png
Nice ARMA thoe

~Kinggi~

Banned
You had a 360 controller since 2005 and only recently noticed the stick drift?! I'm incredulous. I went through 3 360 controllers in like half the time dealing with the same problem.

Yep, stick drift literally did not exist for me until Titanfall had my guy start moving backward all on his own. Became unplayable.

illusionary

I'm slightly conflicted by this Humble Monthly... on the one hand, it's a great selection, but on the other, I already own a few of these on other platforms, albeit on a subscription basis (PS+/GWG). Overall I think that I'm happy, though... I need in particular to give Stardew Valley a shot shortly.

C4rter

It's a key from a German shop (Gamesrocket) that I got for free with a coupon from German magazine GameStar.
So it might be a Germany only key. Also I see here a DE package and a ROW package.
Does that mean there are Germany only keys?
https://steamdb.info/app/205100/subs/

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (C4rter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Dishonored -- MB-879CA44BA19139E7 - Taken by illusionary. 5 entrants total.

t1478311683z1.png

PaulSane

Welp, i already own Trails 1+2, and i've just bought Xanadu Next - i guess i'm already converted to Falcom fandom, so i'm not in the target audience for this giveaway :) Pretty neat idea for a giveaway though, at least it kinda ensures that the games will go to people who may actually play them

Weird, Defender just blocked Vulkan Uninstaller and some browser redirects after opening up Steam. Malwarebytes or Bitdefender didn't detect a thing though.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (trailmix16, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

rebel wings- -- MB-83E2481B7A8E1276 - Taken by illusionary
defect- -- MB-489CDDFAD0A02979 - Taken by bloke
/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom