• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Happy Birthday Iosefe!

Despite Xanadu Next being designed around mouse and keyboard I find it much more fun and comfortable with a controller. Well, except when having to deal with the inventory.

I'm using a DS4 with the Steam driver and it's been wonderful. The mouse on the right stick feels pretty good.

Seems like a great fit for Steam Controller then.

Yep.

kagamin

Honestly I've just been playing Xanadu Next with my mouse while holding my water bottle in my other hand and taking sips. :p

Tellaerin

Thank you, comrades

Happy birthday, man!

Hmmm
NSFW

ss_ead0d85367c6483ef390ba49b4bd3af3cd5e6a54.jpg

Man, that's a weird artstyle. And what's up with the out of place quasi-realistic-looking dude standing in back in the lineup picture? Looks almost like they took a head shot of some guy and pasted anime hair on it. o_O

EDIT: It's not quite as bad when looking at the image fullscreen - doesn't look so weirdly photosourced - but it's still jarring.

Just finished Ys Origin with Yunica today. Really enjoyed it. Combat felt good, and while the plot was pretty simple and straightforward, I liked the characterization and I was impressed with the quality of the dialogue. Whoever was on localization duty deserves a raise. I'll eventually do a second playthrough with Hugo, but it probably won't be for awhile. Might tackle Alpha Protocol next - I installed it, but haven't gotten around to messing with it yet.

So how bad actually was Mighty No.9? It's currently 8.82€ on GameBillet UK using the GBITADUK20 coupon.

Seems like a great fit for Steam Controller then.
I'm using a DS4 with the Steam driver and it's been wonderful. The mouse on the right stick feels pretty good.
I'm using a 360 controller and I have to press and hold Start to make the mouse cursor show up and then press X to click on or drag things around.

Nabs

So how bad actually was Mighty No.9? It's currently 8.82€ on GameBillet UK using the GBITADUK20 coupon.

I'm using a 360 controller and I have to press and hold Start to make the mouse cursor show up and then press X to click on or drag things around.

Are you able to switch that to one of the triggers or something?

Its not bad, it mediocre though.

The game doesnt feel at all like its been developed in 3 years, but half a year. The levels are too short, the bosses are easy, the graphics are bad. The leveldesign itself is really bad.

Anteater

Its not bad, it mediocre though.

The game doesnt feel at all like its been developed in 3 years, but half a year. The levels are too short, the bosses are easy, the graphics are bad. The leveldesign itself is really bad.

I remember people were like "lol giving money to the FATHER OF MEGAMAN just to spite Capcom for canceling his Megaman project!"

I hope they're happy with what they got

Tellaerin

I think Mighty No. 9 got panned not so much for its own failings as for falling short of peoples' expectations based on its pedigree.

One of these days, I'd like to see some major developer release an indie game under a pseudonym, then reveal his/her identity after the reviews come in. Just to see how differently a game by the same creator is received when their name's not attached to the project.

I think Mighty No. 9 got panned not so much for its own failings as for falling short of peoples' expectations based on its pedigree.

One of these days, I'd like to see some major developer release an indie game under a pseudonym, then reveal his/her identity after the reviews come in. Just to see how differently a game by the same creator is received when their name's not attached to the project.

No. The game itself just isnt that good. I would even argue that ARES, just the gameplay, is a better copy of Megaman than Mighty No. 9.

Mighty No. 9 levels are too short, the leveldesign is bad, the bosses are totally easy, the gameplay that is interrupted every few seconds into a level with cutscenes is just mediocre and only the music is good.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

P.T.?

dot

As a huge megaman fan, mighty no.9 was really disappointing and not fun.

i was one of the idiots that backed it

also happy birthday io

Tellaerin

No. The game itself just isnt that good. I would even argue that ARES, just the gameplay, is a better copy of Megaman than Mighty No. 9.

Mighty No. 9 levels are too short, the leveldesign is bad, the bosses are totally easy, the gameplay that is interrupted every few seconds into a level with cutscenes is just mediocre and only the music is good.

Your post illustrates exactly what I mean, though. Mediocre games don't usually evoke such a passionate response from people. Without Inafune's name attached, I think the overall reaction would've been "Eh, it's a so-so Megaman clone". People were expecting a lot more than that from him, though, and I think the vast gap between what they expected and what he ended up delivering was what got everyone so heated.

I'd totally forgotten about that.

She isn't drawn like a partially-melted jello sculpture. :p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started Shadow Warrior. It's great, but it can be confusing to remember all the skill key combos. I do love the moments where you're causing mass mayhem and achievements pop up all over. Combining the sword skills with guns is a lot of fun.

I can't seem to alt-tab out of this game though

Orgen

Just beat TWD: Michonne... meh game at best, only the last chapter was mildly interesting.

Anyway, how long is Oxenfree? Do you need to beat the game several times to see everything? (or is like TWD games where you can see all the ending scenes in a 10 minutes video from youtube).

Tellaerin

What are the requirements for being considered a weird art style? :p

I'm gonna go with "blobby jelly-like bodies and weirdly exaggerated mouths that would look more at home on a smiley-face button than an anime character".

It's mainly the blonde that's weirding me out. I get the impression from the screenshots that she's supposed to be a main character.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyway, how long is Oxenfree? Do you need to beat the game several times to see everything? (or is like TWD games where you can see all the ending scenes in a 10 minutes video from youtube).

Oxenfree is about 5 hours long. The ending changes depending on your choices... I'd play and finish it without looking anything up, then see afterwards what the differences are.

Lain

What are the requirements for being considered a weird art style? :p

Furry style applied to human forms.

Man, I just received the vermintide email about a free weekend and was getting excited (I haven't looked at the Steam frontpage much lately) until I saw the free weekend ends tomorrow. Why the hell did they send me an email on the 6th about a free weekend that ran 3-7.

Tagyhag

For those with 120-144hz monitors without free/gsync, what do you do about the variable framerates? Would triple buffering be the best answer?

Durante

For those with 120-144hz monitors without free/gsync, what do you do about the variable framerates? Would triple buffering be the best answer?
I have a 120 Hz projector and I generally use triple buffering on it (Well, "FastSync" these days).

Grief.exe

I did it!

Recovered from my population aging issues, controlled my growth and made it to 400 citizens without utilizing the major sources of food in the game.

I doubt I'm going to finish off the Tenure achievement. I'm only at year 70 right now, so I would have to spend around 10+ hours getting to year 200.

ok2vkkJ.png

Been cleaning up some challenge achievements in Banished, decided to bang these 4 out in one game to really ramp up the difficulty. I got to 300 population without building schools or trading posts to trigger Uneducated and Isolationist, but had some systemic problems that all crept up at once.
I had a population explosion, which caused my food stores to essentially drop to zero relatively quickly. Banished is all about constrained expansion, too many children at once and you burn through your supply stores too quickly to feed people who are too young to work. I corrected the food problem, but that lead to a tool deficit, which then lead to a massive firewood deficit.
By the time I got containment of all those issues, my population had aged too much and it not only slowed my growth, but I didn't have enough young and healthy people to even sustain my existing population. I fell back down to 200, but now I've recovered to about 315 population and I'm more balanced this time, especially now that I can build schools and trading posts which offer a massive advantage.

Currently targeting the One with Nature achievement, don't know if I'm going to bother playing 200 years to get Tenure. At this point, I suppose I might as well so I can cross this one off as 100% achievements.

Going by the percentages, it seems that most people who do these achievements follow the same path that I did with attempting all four in one go, with each harder achievement falling off in percentage.

kagamin

The only people who have these kinds of achievements probably spend all of their time playing the game or just use SAM:
uyszh4c.png

Wok

The only people who have these kinds of achievements probably spend all of their time playing the game or just use SAM.

I think the target demographic of this game is 100% game completists and achievement hunters, so it is neither SAM users (there is the risk of being flagged as a cheater on astats.nl) nor people who like playing this genre in particular.

kagamin

I think the target demographic of this game is 100% game completists and achievement hunters, so it is neither SAM users (there is the risk of being flagged as a cheater on astats.nl) nor people who like playing this genre in particular.

How much time would people be willing to play a rougelike in order to get around 1.5 thousand achievements just for the sake of achievements though?

How is the pc version of Mafia 3 now? Im probably going to pick it up whenever I get around to beating The Witcher 3.

I like the game but I'd say hold off buying it until it's at a price you're comfortable with...nowhere near worth full price

the last patch was released over 3 weeks ago and whenever they're asked about new updates/patches they just say "soon" or "around the corner" without talking about any actual concrete details...that's been extremely frustrating considering how they hid the details of the shape of the PC version before launch from people and they aren't being any more transparent about things now

Wok

Hmm, it's interesting to see how much time people are willing to put into games just for the sake of achieving things for the sake of achieving them. :p
I did the stupid pigeon challenge in GTA IV, never doing that kind of thing again unless I consider the game one of my greatest ever.

I'll probably get around to getting all achievements for MGS V at some point, but even then, I'm good for a while.

Tall4Life

Steam doesnt even give you anything for doing achievements, I've figured by now that there's 0 point in actively trying to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom