• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Final Fantasy fanbase is extremely toxic so I wouldn't bother paying attention to anything said about that game. Everyone hated XIII so much yet it was a great game. XV will be great too most likely.

No offense but how many FF games have you played?
XIII is anything but a great game.
Play the game and skip all the cutscenes, then tell me exactly how 'great' this game is supposed to be. I'd sooner rank any of the original 3 FF games over FF13 any day.

Parsnip

Hmm, for some reason I don't have a Global config. There's one under Profile Templates, but when pasted into the profiles folder, attempting to edit and then save it gives me a no permissions reaction.
I think the file is only generated if you alter the defaults in the Global config within RTSS. Change something like the overlay color or the application detection level (and then change it back) and it will probably show up.

madjoki

In the new storefront settings I can't customize my discovery/new queue preferences, when I click either nothing happens:
q3rBnYT.png

Is it just me or a known issue?

Same for me. Edit: It's due to mixed content being blocked (page is served from https and tries to get data via http protocol).

Parsnip

Installing Arkham City right now. Read a lot about people saying it's better than Asylum.

What you say, City or Asylum?
City has more refined combat and other mechanics, but it loses a lot in the move to bigger open area. Like, a lot. I prefer Asylum.
I guess it was only a matter of time with the console release.
Funny thing is, you could already play it with a regular controller kind of, there just wasn't any button prompts or anything like that and it was a bit fiddly.

Nzyme32

Changed my Steam Store exclusions to Dating Sims & VNs rather than Anime as a whole. Actually seems to work out a little better but will keep an eye on it

Nzyme32

Eeewww yuk. GAME UK are able to advertise on Steam, with their "double reward points" on Steam wallet top ups. Good thing its tiny and at the bottom, but still... nah fam!

Corpekata

Banned
I think the file is only generated if you alter the defaults in the Global config within RTSS. Change something like the overlay color or the application detection level (and then change it back) and it will probably show up.

Thanks, this worked. For some reason I had to give myself permissions for full control over the file too, but whatever, just tested, seems to be working now. Thanks for the help.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Eeewww yuk. GAME UK are able to advertise on Steam, with their "double reward points" on Steam wallet top ups. Good thing its tiny and at the bottom, but still... nah fam!

The "updates and offers" section at the bottom of the page (before scrolling begins) is a showcase of all the stuff that normally gets advertised in the client pop-up after signing in. So it's region-specific and could be any number of crazy things.

yuraya

No offense but how many FF games have you played?
XIII is anything but a great game.
Play the game and skip all the cutscenes, then tell me exactly how 'great' this game is supposed to be. I'd sooner rank any of the original 3 FF games over FF13 any day.

I played I, III, VII, VIII, X and XIII. People with the need to pin games in the same franchise against one another all the time is pretty much the toxicity I'm talking about. FF is the worst when it comes to this.

Why would you skip the cutscenes? There is like 7hrs of them in the game.

The characters were good.
The boss fights were great.
The music was great.
The gameplay was great.
The story was sloppy but still fun.

Its not a perfect game by any means but its still great. People made it out be some shit game because reasons..and Lightning. The hate isn't warranted.

Knurek

I played I, III, VII, VIII, X and XIII. People with the need to pin games in the same franchise against one another all the time is pretty much the toxicity I'm talking about. FF is the worst when it comes to this.

The music was great.
The gameplay was great.

Its not a perfect game by any means but its still great. People made it out be some shit game because reasons..and Lightning. The hate isn't warranted.

Yea, XIII is a great game.
XIII-2 OTOH...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Paper Monsters Recut -- MB-F14D91DF1EA2B13A - Taken by Eila
IACTURA -- MB-8C006F5CB8B68FC9 - Taken by Kifimbo
Luxury Hotel Emporium -- MB-0F5E1FDE5DE2FFE6 - Taken by madjoki
Crystal Catacombs -- MB-ED5D94060245437C - Taken by Erekiddo
Megapolis -- MB-45C43C49B8665B5E - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Bibou -- MB-57ABADBC0FC8BA04 - Taken by ThirtyFour
The Last Door: Season 2 -- MB-B292803D460EB790 - Taken by NingenJanai
BlazeRush -- MB-8B2A97371981B631 - Taken by voodooray

Backlogger

The Steam Store updates look nice and all but these changes don't really do anything for me other than looking slightly better than it did before. Won't change the way I shop or look for games one bit.

"Recommendations" still pretty much meaningless as well.

Enhanced Steam is still the only true feature that helps me do anything when it comes to shopping for games. Thanks Jshackles!

Edit: I also with in the discovery queue that you could say you were interested in a game without wish listing it or following it...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when did Castle of Illusion get removed from Steam?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think I even read a PSA here to grab it before it's gone. You want it?

no I just noticed it had no background when I scrolled by it in my installed games, like when games are removed

Tizoc

Because the plot is poorly written and the characters aren't that interesting at all.
The music was great.
The gameplay was great.
I'll give you boss, fights, music and gameplay, but it falls short on everything else when compared to its predecessors.
FF13 is S-E having a battle system but unable to get progression and the other subsystems, handful as they are, right.
The weapon and equipment upgrade system is pitiful, I tend to hold off upgrading weapons until endgame when I have enough Gil (if I manage to accumulate that much) and can get the right catalysts.

Well my reason for disliking the game overall is that all it is battles, battles, battles. Strip out the cutscenes and all you do is you progressing onward while battling enemies to become stronger in order to battle further enemies. There's hardly anything engaging in it outside that.

I'm normally a gameplay kind of guy but even FF13 falls short.

Installing Arkham City right now. Read a lot about people saying it's better than Asylum.

What you say, City or Asylum?
Having just recently played them all on PC

Knight >>>> City >> Asylum for combat
Knight > Asylum > City for overall quality and enjoyment
Asylum >>> City = Knight for boss fights

Graphics (duh), encounter design and gameplay variety is all tops in Knight, the game is just amazing. They're all really good though. I can't wait to see what Rocksteady are up to next.

Well if there's one thing I learned, no Batman game seems to be bad and folks like each one for different reasons. Not bad at all for a franchise to claim that.

Knight had boss fights? (I'm serious)

the Arkham Knight boss fight was essentially a really big predator room. It was well designed though. Deathstroke was a Batmobile fight I think. City I can only remember Mr Freeze which was ok and Penguin which was laughably bad. Asylum had Poison Ivy so it's the best by default.

I hear that other one Rocksteady didn't make actually has really good bosses but I dunno, it hasn't been cheap enough on Steam.

Pixieking

Banned
Speaking of Key sending - I used GamesPlanet for the first time and there are a couple of impressive things over GMG.

First off - simple as fuck refund option right in the account per game, and they are very prompt, possibly automated for preorders.

Second - they list the exact day you will get the key - for Tyranny that is apparently today. Let's see if they stick to it

I have my Tyranny key from Gamesplanet, through the My Account page of their site.

Tizoc

Xanadu Next is hot fiya yo, if you even dare to say you like PC RPGs then you have to play this. It's Durante approved for one thing.

Well if there's one thing I learned, no Batman game seems to be bad and folks like each one for different reasons. Not bad at all for a franchise to claim that.

You can say that about various video game series ;)

mp1990

Banned
Because the plot is poorly written and the characters aren't that interesting at all.

I'll give you boss, fights, music and gameplay, but it falls short on everything else when compared to its predecessors.
FF13 is S-E having a battle system but unable to get progression and the other subsystems, handful as they are, right.
The weapon and equipment upgrade system is pitiful, I tend to hold off upgrading weapons until endgame when I have enough Gil (if I manage to accumulate that much) and can get the right catalysts.

Well my reason for disliking the game overall is that all it is battles, battles, battles. Strip out the cutscenes and all you do is you progressing onward while battling enemies to become stronger in order to battle further enemies. There's hardly anything engaging in it outside that.

I'm normally a gameplay kind of guy but even FF13 falls short.

I feel like you should replay some of the older FFs. As much as I liked X, which I beat yesterday, many of the problems you pointed out are present in it too. Some plot contrivances come out of nowhere, the motivation of the character show up and disappear out of thin air, the dialogue is cheesy as hell and, honestly, the game as a whole is just a set of random battles from point A to B, where you'll get some story bits and maybe a CG cutscene, the game doesn't even try to hide how linear it is, and honestly it isn't a problem at all. Most mechanics in FFX aren't great either, the sphere grid is cool but honestly there isn't much customization to be done, and the same can be said for customizing aeons and equipment, unless you go out of your way to do so, and the combat can easily be broken with summons. I won't vouch for XIII because I have not finished it yet, but it definitely gets some unwarranted flak.

I would. Snow gets punched to the face, twice. That's enough to make XIII a great game.

A great game wouldn't have Snow or Hope

I liked Lightning Returns the most of them because at least the gameplay is actually pretty good. I still wouldn't call it great though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
does the DH2 preload start today? anyone know how much it is?

At some point today, yeah. The HDD space requirement is 60GB, so the pre-load will likely be 40GB+.

Edit: Speaking of pre-loads, Tyranny's is live. 12.13GB install/4.8GB download.

Wok

I am playing Asylum (for the first time) because you wrote about it.

It turns out that the game is better than when I "tried" it quickly in 2013. I think it is due to the fact that I have an Xbox gamepad, which I might not have had in 2013.

can anyone suggest how to get dupressurizer to play a little better? I want something like tags and developer categories. or a way to sort 100% games..

or if anyone wants to share their own configs

Tizoc

I feel like you should replay some of the older FFs. As much as I liked X, which I beat yesterday, many of the problems you pointed out are present in it too. Some plot contrivances come out of nowhere, the motivation of the character show up and disappear out of thin air, the dialogue is cheesy as hell and, honestly, the game as a whole is just a set of random battles from point A to B, where you'll get some story bits and maybe a CG cutscene, the game doesn't even try to hide how linear it is, and honestly it isn't a problem at all. Most mechanics in FFX aren't great either, the sphere grid is cool but honestly there isn't much customization to be done, and the same can be said for customizing aeons and equipment, unless you go out of your way to do so, and the combat can easily be broken with summons. I won't vouch for XIII because I have not finished it yet, but it definitely gets some unwarranted flak.

That's fair, but I feel FF13 was made to streamlined because they didn't know what else to add into the game.
...and I think you CAN customize character's stats in the Sphere Grid with the recent PS4/PC release?

Ascheroth

I liked all the games of the XIII trilogy for different reasons each but I wouldn't call any of them 'great'.

XIII had a good core gameplay, but suffered because there wasn't enough around it. 'Hallway simulator', shit upgrade system, not much diversity in terms of gameplay (no real sidecontent, nothing to find or explore, no towns or something to break up the constant fighting,...)
I liked the character and story enough, and really, really liked the lore. The whole fal'Cie, l'Cie, Cie'th concepts were really intriguing.

...Which made me really dissappointed in XIII-2 which just threw all that stuff away for some garbage time-travel story.
Though XIII-2 was a lot better on the gameplay diversity front. Taming and training monsters, puzzles (but fuck the clock puzzles) and the semi-open world were great improvements.
But I'm annoyed at the direction the story took.

And then we have Lightning Returns which throws the whole thing on its head again. The story continued in its shit direction and can be summed up in a single sentence (though the ending was kinda neat, I guess).
The combat is great and there's a lot to do, even though the time-constraints weren't my favorite thing. And I don't understand why upgrading equipment was tied to NG+.

And I'm pretty sure I would have been immensely dissappointed in each of them if I'd bought them at full console price.

mp1990

Banned
That's fair, but I feel FF13 was made to streamlined because they didn't know what else to add into the game.
...and I think you CAN customize character's stats in the Sphere Grid with the recent PS4/PC release?

You can, but for most of the game you gonna be following a straight path in the character's sphere grid, and only after you be done with it (which is around 80% of the game) you're free to explore other paths and customize said character's stats at your will. So the progression is pretty much linear.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm looking for suggestions for games that can be played with only a mouse, no keyboard. For a friend coming back after an injury with limited hand use, so two fingers is the most he can do at one time for pressing down.

So far I have Lyne, Paint It Black, and Grey Cubes.

I'll go through some Adventure games later on my own just to remember what only needs a mouse, but I don't recall off the top of my head right away what used keyboard as well.

I have no idea on Hidden Objects as a genre, but I know that would work as well.

Appreciate any help.

Jawmuncher

I'm looking for suggestions for games that can be played with only a mouse, no keyboard. For a friend coming back after an injury with limited hand use, so two fingers is the most he can do at one time for pressing down.

So far I have Lyne, Paint It Black, and Grey Cubes.

I'll go through some Adventure games later on my own just to remember what only needs a mouse, but I don't recall off the top of my head right away what used keyboard as well.

I have no idea on Hidden Objects as a genre, but I know that would work as well.

Appreciate any help.

I played Starcraft 2 with only a mouse on easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom