• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more these comparisons crop up, the more I think classifying Soulsian games as "RPGs" is a mistake. They've seriously got more in common with ARPGs (Diablo) than they do proper RPGs (Witcher); the former are all about exploration, builds, progression, and loot, with the barest focus on storytelling or roleplaying. That split is basically the yin and yang of the broadly-defined genre called "RPG."

I was thinking about this earlier after seeing Rock, Paper, Shotgun had tweeted out their top RPG list from last year that had Dark Souls #1. It felt weird to me even though I wouldn't necessarily argue with someone who says Dark Souls is better than the other games on the list. But if someone were to ask me what my favorite RPGs Dark Souls isn't one that would really come to mind. Obviously having role playing elements to it, I personally consider it more of an action game.

The same kind of goes for System Shock 2 with how it is an FPS/RPG/Horror/Adventure game that doesn't sit quite in a single one of those categories for me.

derFeef

Would you recommend it to someone who's never played the series before? I hear nothing but good things about it but I'm not sure if that's just because people who love the series really love this game, or if it's good for everyone.

IMO it's good for everyone that is interested in stealth games, action games and third person games in general - it's like no other game. No worries, it has systems that ease you into the machanics and sandbox mission design, which can be turned off if you feel like a true hitman. Also there is a lot of content to this, it's encouraging and beneficial to play every mission a few times with different approaches. I played the first episode (Paris) a few times already and it feels fresh every time. Also it's hilarious and funny, but also badass.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man the campaign of Shadow Warrior is running longer than I'd thought. 10 hours in at ch13 and I don't think I'm near the end yet. Had a lot of fun but it could've used a little trimming.

derFeef

Man the campaign of Shadow Warrior is running longer than I'd thought. 10 hours in at ch13 and I don't think I'm near the end yet. Had a lot of fun but it could've used a little trimming.

The first game had this problem as well.
edit: oh you mean the first one? (the remake).

I wonder why on Greenlight we get chinese copies of japanese games all the time like this:

4E1FAD5D39558260D9BD8C602B181C63A1611067

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=797342624

(GalGun copy)

while actual cool stuff like RabiRibi are the minority (and there are a lot of bigger chinese/taiwanese/HK indiegames available in that market).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
IMO it's good for everyone that is interested in stealth games, action games and third person games in general - it's like no other game. No worries, it has systems that ease you into the machanics and sandbox mission design, which can be turned off if you feel like a true hitman. Also there is a lot of content to this, it's encouraging and beneficial to play every mission a few times with different approaches. I played the first episode (Paris) a few times already and it feels fresh every time. Also it's hilarious and funny, but also badass.

Thanks, I might pick up the first episode and see how I get on with that.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Hektor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil -- MB-042E8F841A7A3AEF - Taken by yuraya. 118 entrants total.

t1478869566z1.png

Ganado

Yeah, Shadow Warrior is a bit of a slog. They made the sequel much better, albeit with a worse story.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Denuvo doesn't prevent modding, if publishers want to allow it by providing tools and support. What it does prevent or at least hinder is modding other ways (binary edits / injections).

For reason, I guess they think by preventing piracy, they can sell more.
It is open for modding, it has steam workshop support. Denuvo per se doesn't necessarily completely prevent modding, it depends on the files that were encrypted with it (some developers just lock the whole thing up). There are some kinds of mods that cannot be done or severely limited though, like injectors and others.

Ah i see, so only certain mods are allowed

If anyone's interested both Last Blade and Shock Trooper finally have Steam keys available for buyers of NeoGeo Humble Bundle.

wait I can't see it D:

Volimar

Not exactly steam related but a friend bought me Gears 4 as an early Christmas present (actually accidentally bought me the Ultimate edition that cost like $30 extra for the season pass) and damn it is taking forever to download from the Windows store.

Knurek

Not exactly steam related but a friend bought me Gears 4 as an early Christmas present (actually accidentally bought me the Ultimate edition that cost like $30 extra for the season pass) and damn it is taking forever to download from the Windows store.

Multiply that time by 3 or 4 times it will take you to actually download the whole package without the WinStore crapping out,

Grief.exe

The more these comparisons crop up, the more I think classifying Soulsian games as "RPGs" is a mistake. They've seriously got more in common with ARPGs (Diablo) than they do proper RPGs (Witcher); the former are all about exploration, builds, progression, and loot, with the barest focus on storytelling or roleplaying. That split is basically the yin and yang of the broadly-defined genre called "RPG."

They really need a better name... I can't think of anything off-hand so I'll suggest UVBA. (Unending Virtual Battle Areas) If it somehow sticks I'm sorry.

No no no. That's ridiculous.

It's a JRPG because it was made in Japan.

I still need to finish This War of Mine. My current playthrough was going well but I dropped it because of other games.

Glad I held off on Fairy Fencer in hopes of a port of the PS4 version.

it took me like 2-3 hours to download, if it was on steam that would have been a solid 30-40 minutes. :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The first game had this problem as well.
edit: oh you mean the first one? (the remake).

Yeah I'm talking about the 2013 game. I'm at ch16 and I think the end is finally near. If it was trimmed down I would've considered replaying on hard, but there's just way too many chapters and I could start Dishonored 2 instead.

Yeah I'm talking about the 2013 game. I'm at ch16 and I think the end is finally near. If it was trimmed down I would've considered replaying on hard, but there's just way too many chapters and I could start Dishonored 2 instead.

i hate that feeling when the game starts to feel like its dragging on, i tend to just drop em, theres other stuff to play.

Already my playtime is well over Asylum but I still have many things left to do in City. Those pressure sensitive Riddler Challenges a getting on my nerves though. Feels like I lack a gadget.
The atmosphere is top-notch and boss-fights so far were great. Freeze was not big in scope but figuring out to use all the tactics you learned so far was very satisfying.

Regginator

Already my playtime is well over Asylum but I still have many things left to do in City. Those pressure sensitive Riddler Challenges a getting on my nerves though. Feels like I lack a gadget.

The atmosphere is top-notch and boss-fights so far were great. Freeze was not big in scope but figuring out to use all the tactics you learned so far was very satisfying.

Best Arkham game, very closely follows by Asylum.

People saying Origins is better are out of their damned minds. Aside from a somewhat more decent story it's literally copy-paste from AC, for 70% even the same map.

Phawx

My problem with the Batman games is after you've played the first one, you almost kind of played them all.

That one animation where Batman opens a vent with his foot, I dunno. Just felt like I'd be doing more of the same.

yuraya

My problem with the Batman games is after you've played the first one, you almost kind of played them all.

That one animation where Batman opens a vent with his foot, I dunno. Just felt like I'd be doing more of the same.

The downside to Unreal Engine. Seems like no matter how many sequels people make within that engine they always feels the same. At least with AAA games.

Hektor

This is now officially the fith time in the last 6 months that i'm coming home on a friday and my DSL doesn't work.

What exactly am i even paying for

Thank god that i can at least play Tyranny

MaxiLive

This is now officially the fith time in the last 6 months that i'm coming home on a friday and my DSL doesn't work.

What exactly am i even paying for

Thank god that i can at least play Tyranny

Urg that is the worst feeling. Hopefully its back up soon for you.

Amzin

I played them as they came out, aside from Origins, which I played in between City and Knight after it'd been patched a bunch (got it for free at that point with my video card or something), so I enjoyed them all relatively equally all things considered. I understand the love for Asylum but I think it's my least favorite just because I love the open worldness of the others, and the combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom