• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyba89

Owlboy. Dishonored 2. Planetcoaster tomorrow. Pokémon next week. All these games I got from bundles...

Too many games right now. Too little free time. Hope december is a bit slower with releases.

Nzyme32

BBC have reported on the Google Earth VR "app" on Steam / Vive, and from what they got out of Google, it looks like they have no intention of allowing Oculus users to use it, even though it should be possible in theory

More so the BBC reporter reaches an interesting conclusion from all this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37997155

So Google Earth VR is currently limited to HTC’s Vive. The team told me that “in theory” it could run on the rival Oculus platform, owned by Facebook. But in practice, I don’t ever see that happening.

In fact, recent hardware moves suggest to me that Google must surely be on the brink of buying out HTC, and locking up the hardware maker to go head-on with Facebook.

The Taiwanese company’s stock last year was being described as “worthless”, but things are looking up. The Pixel and Pixel XL, the first smartphones described as “made by Google”, are in fact made by HTC. And the reviews will tell you they’re great devices.
And with Vive being the platform of choice for Google’s high-end VR efforts, it really seems a question of when, rather than if, a deal to acquire HTC is announced.

I bet Google can't believe its luck: a high-end hardware maker at what is likely to be a bargain price.

And thus - to my knowledge - the first / only SteamVR title to be hardware restricted is born

Tizoc

15134811_1275737952472402_7213770955983424300_n.png

Well now.

BBC have reported on the Google Earth VR "app" on Steam / Vive, and from what they got out of Google, it looks like they have no intention of allowing Oculus users to use it, even though it should be possible in theory

More so the BBC reporter reaches an interesting conclusion from all this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37997155

And thus - to my knowledge - the first / only SteamVR title to be hardware restricted is born

So it begins. Would be really bad to have another one locking stuff to their hardware....

Granjinha

I am not really sure that that title, as much as I look forward to it, is the title that will sell well.
I would even argue it will be the next Htol Niq

which title would sell well, then? Birthdays has the most appeal for the PC userbase (especially with a day 1 release)

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Love Harvest Moon style games.

that's not a harvest moon style game, tho

it's much more like a god game

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I think you'll find that the Rift is simply not officially supported and the app does indeed run on it. (On it? With it? Whichever. ;)) Even Vive games that support only the Vive's controllers can be played with* a Rift and a couple of PlayStation Move controllers as OpenVR/SteamVR is designed as a one-size-fits-all API.

* "Interacted with" may be more accurate as I'm not sure how the PS Move and Vive controller compare in the "buttons" department.

Wok

With this new business model of selling indie games through monthly subscriptions, my gaming resolution for next year will be to try to stick to my calendar of most anticipated games.

So far this year, one third of my gaming-related expenses have been spent on Humble/GamePump subscriptions/bundles.

November 28, 2016:
  • Quern - Undying Thoughts
Coming soon (December 2016 or early 2017?):
  • Hob
  • Manifold Garden
  • Miegakure
  • Shantae : Half-Genie Hero
January 10, 2017:
  • Night in the Woods
March 7, 2017:
  • Birthdays the Beginning
Early 2017:
  • Fidel (a.k.a. a spin-off of Ernesto RPG)
  • Future Unfolding
  • Hand of Fate 2
  • Snake Pass
2017:
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!
  • Nidhogg 2
  • Yooka-Laylee
December 2017:
  • Shenmue III

Subscribed Gamepump 12 month. There is no account to create it seems

It is an email a month.

Granjinha

With this new business model of selling indie games through monthly subscriptions, my gaming resolution for next year will be to try to stick to my calendar of most anticipated games.

It is an email a month.

you are way off with those release dates lol

Wok

My gaming expenses this year:
  • 45% spent on games just released, so close to full-price,
  • 24% spent on subscriptions,
  • 23% spent on cheap games, less than 10 € each,
  • 8% spent on bundles.

Humble Monthly doing good.

you are way off with those release dates lol

What do you mean? These are the most precise release dates that I could find. Hopefully, not every one of these games will be an Owlboy.

vermadas

I think you'll find that the Rift is simply not officially supported and the app does indeed run on it. (On it? With it? Whichever. ;)) Even Vive games that support only the Vive's controllers can be played with a Rift and a couple of PlayStation Move controllers as OpenVR/SteamVR is designed as a one-size-fits-all API.

I'm sure it runs on it fine. But at the moment, Google has chosen to put a gate check that explicitly only allows it to run on the Vive. Hopefully they are just trying to temporarily limit the potential users on their free app to cut down on support requests or something like that. Google's Tiltbrush has no such restrictions.

Nzyme32

I think you'll find that the Rift is simply not officially supported and the app does indeed run on it. (On it? With it? Whichever. ;)) Even Vive games that support only the Vive's controllers can be played with a Rift and a couple of PlayStation Move controllers as OpenVR/SteamVR is designed as a one-size-fits-all API.

Yeah I mentioned this earlier, but the current weirdness is that this happens:

iOlsf7z.png

Which I'm sure people can work around, but there isn't a reason for it to be there with OpenVR/SteamVR

JaseC

I'm sure it runs on it fine. But at the moment, Google has chosen to put a gate check that explicitly only allows it to run on the Vive. Hopefully they are just trying to temporarily limit the potential users on their free app to cut down on support requests or something like that. Google's Tiltbrush has no such restrictions.

Ah, so it has. The article doesn't make that clear, especially with the comment from Google that the Rift would "theoretically" work.

Yeah I mentioned this earlier, but the current weirdness is that this happens:

iOlsf7z.png

Which I'm sure people can work around, but there isn't a reason for it to be there with OpenVR/SteamVR

Yeah, exactly. Here's hoping it's dropped.

After Dark is good, Snowfall is apparently mediocre. The rest so far is cosmetic.

Thanks. I didn't even realise there was cosmetic DLC, but I guess that makes sense.

Actually, on Paradox's business model, I'm kind of hoping Obsidian and Paradox do the same "years of support" thing for Tyranny; either through sequels or expansions. The setting deserves way more exploration.

JaseC

Actually, on Paradox's business model, I'm kind of hoping Obsidian and Paradox do the same "years of support" thing for Tyranny; either through sequels or expansions. The setting deserves way more exploration.

A couple of photos of the art book(?) were posted a day or two ago showing Acts 4 and 5, which aren't in the game as it ends with Act 3. That points to two expansions... or one particularly large one.

Corpekata

Banned
A couple of photos of the art book(?) were posted a day or two ago showing Acts 4 and 5, which aren't in the game as it ends with Act 3. That points to two expansions... or one particularly large one.

Did it actually feature anything new? It could just be the content in the original 5 acts was put into 3 (since sometimes where games cut off chapters or acts is pretty arbitrary).

bjaelke

Thanks. I didn't even realise there was cosmetic DLC, but I guess that makes sense.
Natural Disasters and any DLC hereafter will be focused on gameplay mechanics as they've finally come to terms with the fact that modders can deliver free cosmetics at a higher frequency.

JaseC

Did it actually feature anything new? It could just be the content in the original 5 acts was put into 3 (since sometimes where games cut off chapters or acts is pretty arbitrary).

The photos were just of a couple of pages showing the Act 4 and Act 5 header text (as in the header text of the book itself). There was nothing to suggest they were part of a discarded content section, though I can't be sure as I've not read the book myself.

Phawx

Hey SteamGaf,

Let's make a PC handheld. Anyone know somebody at AMD?

Edit:

You know what I would like. I'd like something like kickstarter but for ideas. IdeaStarter. I'd like a system where people can propose ideas and give rough estimations and have people put money into a project to which other companies could bid to produce it.

I had no idea about the art book stuff. Thanks again.

For Tyranny, it could go either way. The dynamic, class-less level-up system, I think, means that they could stretch the game out as much as they want. Likewise, the world of Tyranny will always have stories to tell thanks to the Conquest/reactivity in decisions. It's a great launching point for a franchise. I feel that it's what Obsidian wanted to do with Pillars, but the way the story goes in that essentially wraps up the biggest plot points you can imagine--unless the expansions really changed things, I mean.
Natural Disasters and any DLC hereafter will be focused on gameplay mechanics as they've finally come to terms with the fact that modders can deliver free cosmetics at a higher frequency.

Yeah... That Stadium DLC made me lol.

Hektor

This totally got nothing to do with SteamGAF but, PERSONA 5 GOT DELAYED AGAIN OH MY GOD.

_______

Here are the Tyranny Artbook pics in question, draw your own conclusions:
http://imgur.com/gallery/G8Yi1

One of the pics from ACT IV i had in my playthrough i think, but i don't remember the ones from ACTV

Parsnip

Looks like PEGI rated Killer Instinct Definitive edition for PC. It's obviously just a bundle of stuff but it seems like the bundle was technically only available on Xbox store, even though the game is cross platform.

Maybe Win10Store doesn't support bundles yet or something.

dex3108

I emailed the CEO of AMD.

What do you think my chances are of getting a good response?

If you get one it will be "We at AMD are glad that people are interested for using our products in a different ways. AMD will always be for innovative product use. Keep your eyes on our social channels." XD

haendeul

Looks like PEGI rated Killer Instinct Definitive edition for PC. It's obviously just a bundle of stuff but it seems like the bundle was technically only available on Xbox store, even though the game is cross platform.

Maybe Win10Store doesn't support bundles yet or something.

I'd rebuy the complete package if this was a Steam release (I only have season 3). But I don't expect it.

Granjinha

Humble Monthly doing good.

What do you mean? These are the most precise release dates that I could find. Hopefully, not every one of these games will be an Owlboy.

Miekagure doesn't have any release date (neither does manifold garden)

Hob is a vague 2017, not early 2017

that shenmue 3 is the KS release date? cause i doubt it's coming december, too

yuraya

Valve should be the one making a handheld.

They already dove into hardware scene so might as well make the most of it. Make it pricey and premium too.

Wok

Miekagure doesn't have any release date (neither does manifold garden)

Nope, Miegakure is 100% "soon". Everything is done, it is only minor graphical polishing taking place at this point. Marc ten Bosch tweeted about that. I am totally expecting a release in December.

Each level of Manifold Garden is basically done and almost bug-free (based on the closed beta). So this is also bound to be released soon, it boils down to the perfectionism of William Chyr at this point.

Hob is a vague 2017, not early 2017

Hob is already playable at conferences, so... maybe.

that shenmue 3 is the KS release date? cause i doubt it's coming december, too

That, I agree.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll join you guys in Pump'ing the Games. I could see this being something pretty cool or falling apart terrible, depending on how it's handled.

Kaleinc

Banned
I emailed the CEO of AMD.

What do you think my chances are of getting a good response?
You'll get 2 emails:

Email-1 from Jen-Hsun Huang:
Looks like a novel idea but our rivals from Nvidia already have Tegra to offer incredible performance and extremely low power consumption.

Email-2 from AMD CEO:
Please disregard previous email, alt accounts are a bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom