• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Seriously! It's not like the Steam thread is full of fortune tellers. Just general advice and gaming opinions if you want them.

What does anybody expect with questions like "Will X get any cheaper?" Nobody knows.

the thing is, we USED to know. it used to be safe to say "buy it now its safe", but not anymore. Games discounted 1 month wouldnt get a deeper discount weeks later. Games 75% off wouldnt get cheaper during the same sale. But thats all out the window lately :/

Derp

The dlc campaigns for the game are almost as good as the main game and some argue it might be even better due to how the mechanics were updated. If you're interested at all, then yeah get in on it

GOTY is absolutely worth it. The two meaty expansions are like a standalone game. The story plays perfectly with the main game, instead of cheapening it the way DLCs tend to do by simply revisiting the narrative.

I'm also in the camp of calling that game amazing. It immediately shot into my All Time list.

Wow that's good to hear. Okay i guess i'll wait until the GOTY is discounted heavily.

Seriously! It's not like the Steam thread is full of fortune tellers. Just general advice and gaming opinions if you want them.

What does anybody expect with questions like "Will X get any cheaper?" Nobody knows.
I'm sorry :S I was just hoping for a wild guess based on everyone's experience as to whether it would be good to wait, but i understand what you guys mean and i apologize.

Maniac

Banned
how's heroes 6?

i used to love 3

I still play 3 a lot. Got it from GOG ages ago; so good. It's one of the best LAN games I have other than a WC3 folder I've had since the days of XP :p

6 is trash by the way. And 3 is still the best Heroes game, which is... Kind of sad, but to be expected with how Ubisoft handles their franchises in recent years.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
heroes of M&M is the strategy one

might and magic is the dungeon crawler one (like legend of grimrock) one correct?

Ozium

this was not a fuck you post at all. It was a statement of fact, I was even quite polite about it

we simply dont or cannot know if a game will be cheaper. In fact, like the lords of the shadow 2 example, if you would have said "buy it its safe" yesterday, you would be the asshole (even if going by past sales, it looked safe).

1. was it a daily?
2. did you wait for a daily?

if the answer to either question is no then you did know it could be cheaper tbqh

heroes of M&M is the strategy one

might and magic is the dungeon crawler one (like legend of grimrock) one correct?

Correct.

HoMM3 was absolutely amazing. It's why I ended up grabbing the rest of the series on Steam hoping that something redeeming would still exist in the series.

Varg

Banned
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Varg, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-6E81724DD3B91499 - Taken by TheSeks

Rhaknar

1. was it a daily?
2. did you wait for a daily?

if the answer to either question is no then you did know it could be cheaper tbqh

thats a recent thing, you used to be able to say "if its 75% off already its safe". not anymore, which is exactly what I told derp. I just need to lose that mentality, which admitadly is hard to do after so many sales. if your post is just to say "you done fucked up son" you are correct, I did done fucked up for buying it when it wasnt a daily

Ozium

thats a recent thing, you used to be able to say "if its 75% off already its safe". not anymore, which is exactly what I told derp. I just need to lose that mentality, which admitadly is hard to do after so many sales. if your post is just to say "you done fucked up son" you are correct, I did done fucked up for buying it when it wasnt a daily

derexperte told you to wait for the dailies in big bold flashing letters.... and I thought that "wait for the dailies" was a common thing around here...

you done fucked up son

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I just cast my runes and pray to my eldergod.

If I get double scorpion, the game is safe to buy.

Rhaknar

derexperte told you to wait for the dailies in big bold flashing letters.... and I thought that "wait for the dailies" was a common thing around here...

you done fucked up son

hows this for rule breaking fun? I also bought The Abbey 90% off for example, and its not a daily. *GASP!

wait for the dailies used to have some fucking common sense attached to it...not anymore :( stupid volvo

Dr.Acula

Banned
Did The Vanishing of Ethan Carter show up as a "daily deal?" Because it was 40% off and now it's only 20%, but I don't remember seeing a big splash for it. Maybe I'm blind.

derExperte

thats a recent thing, you used to be able to say "if its 75% off already its safe".

No. Nothing was ever safe, there were always games that went deeper.

Did The Vanishing of Ethan Carter show up as a "daily deal?" Because it was 40% off and now it's only 20%, but I don't remember seeing a big splash for it. Maybe I'm blind.

Sorry to say but you are blind. Also it shows the time remaining right on the game's store page if it's a daily deal.

Rhaknar

No. Nothing was ever safe, there were always games that went deeper.

I dont remember it ever happening a year and half, 2 years ago, but im not going to argue about it since im not 100% sure, and this is a pointless pissing in the wind discussion anyway. You are technically correct, but there was always a element of common sense (like in The Abbey example I just gave...technically, I should wait for the daily on that aswell, but we both know there wont be a daily on The Abbey, which is already 90% off) and it seems that common sense is less present these days, thats all.

which goes with me saying we cant anwser Derp's question on if something will be cheaper or not with any degree of certainty, to loop this around to the start.

Hell, if you want to be really anal about it, then technically, wait for the dailies should really be "wait for price mistakes" since there have been cases of dailies coming back cheaper later :p

That last part is a joke btw :3

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

DEPTH HUNTER 2 -- MB-4891DC64FA0FBD14 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
EVILQUEST -- MB-1DC8AD1E2DA35A29 - Taken by agniswarm. 3 entrants total.
GEARCRACK ARENA -- MB-8F986BFE2F63148F - Taken by Htown. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
SQUARE HEROES (Desura) -- MB-0CA276E25102E4BE - Taken by Jason Frost

t1417159374z1.png

Rhaknar

theres a lot of mods to put models from other games on Skyrim (Tera models being popular it seems...not unsurprisingly, dem Castanics). But are there mods that make the third person...playable? Because otherwise I dont see much of a point :/

If you still have that 75% coupon for Shadow Warrior, it's only $1 right now with today's daily deal. Could not resist at that price. Looks like the game comes with a free bonus too: Viscera Cleanup Detail (whatever that is). Passed on the SE though, even though that's only another buck (no coupon needed). I can live without a digital artbook and extra weapons.

zkylon

zkylewd
theres a lot of mods to put models from other games on Skyrim (Tera models being popular it seems...not unsurprisingly, dem Castanics). But are there mods that make the third person...playable? Because otherwise I dont see much of a point :/

what do you mean? like camera or gameplay?

cos if it's gameplay, i've yet to see a mod that makes skyrim combat any fun

Rhaknar

what do you mean? like camera or gameplay?

cos if it's gameplay, i've yet to see a mod that makes skyrim combat any fun

just overall feel of the third person view, it doesnt feel...proper (in vanilla that is)

Ozium

black friday mobs my ass...

just drove to target, grabbed a steam card and was home in 10 minutes...

time for the long dark bitches

edit: lol DerExperte ist böse

Erudite

Ok another question, The Long Dark? Yay or nay? I don't know much about it other than its Canada Simulator.
david hayter is in it so you should buy it for him
Jennifer Hale voices the female character if that name holds any sway with you.

Just played it for an hour, and if you aren't sick of the many survival sims that seem to be cropping up through early access, this one looks promising and seems quite focused on survival against nature, as opposed to survival against zombies, bandits, cannibals, etc.

Only Sandbox mode is available right now with 2 maps, and it seems there's going to be an episodic story mode coming in.

I'll be holding off from playing any further until it's out of early access, but if the Steam page is anything to go by, they initially planned to be in early access for 2-3 months when they posted it to Steam in September, so if they're still on track, it can't be much longer.

Ventara

Oh man, I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein, and Lords of Shadow 2. I can't get any of these any cheaper through keys, right? Hmmm. I'd rather avoid making multiple large game purchases since the Winter Seal is coming and it's not like I can play them all. Maybe I'll just go with LoS2 since it's the cheapest.

I wished everyone a good Thanksgiving. Um... not sure if you heard but The Evil Within's got a working FOV fix for a while now, Flawless Widescreen got updated.

Otherwise, not much I don't think.

Thanks. And I know. I tried to tell you the same thing about The Evil Within over 5000 posts ago, but thanks for looking out! I've been trying to play it all week and something's always getting in the way. :\

Tizoc

Can someone get me Rocket Knight off of GMG please?
It's not available in my region and I can paypal the money for it, this is the cheapest its been if the GMG discount code is used on it.

If Nintendo did go that route, it'd probably be handled in the same way as Sega with MegaDrive emulation: emulator = game, the games themselves = DLC.

Ah so much for +300 huh?

I am proud of you.

thewolfamongus_2014-02-07_11-19-03-60_jpg_640x360_upscale_q85.jpg

I wanna watch Tron Legacy now, and play Tron Evolution.
THEN wonder where the hell my Tron 3 is.

The Tron Uprising cartoon from a year or so ago was really good IMO, give that a watch too.

Ozium

I don't think a game has ever been discounted past 90% unless it was a price mistake so I think that's generally a pretty good rule when not waiting for a daily..

edit: don't get mad but I'm having trouble finding it on my own but is there a way to see the list of yesterdays dailies/48 hours (they have been replaced on the front page)

basically I want to check to make sure I dont miss something I want...

I know you can check individual games but I don't remember what was up there cept for the long dark

Thanks. And I know. I tried to tell you the same thing about The Evil Within over 5000 posts ago, but thanks for looking out! I've been trying to play it all week and something's always getting in the way. :\

I was missing for a while because of school, thanks though!

Anybody know if Shadows of Mordor still doesn't play nicely with overclocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom