• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Is it a bad game? I read that there's no sense of fear at all in the game, but after three bland chapters it turns into a good, classic survival horror.

Depends on what your definition of 'survival horror' is I guess. There's never any sense of fear, any attempts at creating fear usually manifest as frustration or confusion. The story is nonsensical, even for a story that attempts to be nonsensical (of that makes sense).

The action parts are totally ruined by archaic controls and movement that while might fit into the 'feel' of Classic Survival Horror, do nothing for this game other than enhance it's shoddy execution of some nice ideas. The character model takes over a vast majority of the screen at nearly all times, this is made even worse when you focus aim as the camera draws right in over the character's shoulder blocking half of the screen.

There are so many nods to Resident Evil that it goes from 'nice' to 'I just want to play Resident Evil now'.

The 3 opening chapters (which are the demo) don't represent the entire game at all, as the games theme and feel shifts so dramatically. While it may have been the game's intention to keep the player disorientated, it did nothing for me other than detach myself from the story and the character - so I never cared for him or the game. I never wanted him to survive.

Talking of survival there are so many 1 hit deaths that you'll probably become fed up with them and the game too. Even in parts where they're acceptable they feel cheap, and thrown in simply to slow you down and kill you. I often felt like there was no way to avoid them in the original play through and the only way you'd know about them is from having been killed by them previously.

I just had a really bad experience from start to finish. The game was overhyped and under delivered, which seems to be a real common theme so far this generation 'AAA' games.
Of course there are those who really enjoyed it and will no doubt give you an entirely different perspective of the game, which is only natural but for me... it's a no.

Why so many discounts on new titles?
I mean, it's really strange, a thing like that never happened before.

Never reordering or buying a game day 1 again!

Accoun

Saw someone doing a LP of Gorky17 (or Odium, not sure under which name is on Steam). Never seen the game in action before (although it's kind of a cult classic in Poland, I guess), but sounds like the soundtrack isn't half bad actually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBhZkztjIA4

It's by Adam "Scorpik" Skorupa, probably known here most for The Witcher music.

Kiru

1TB SSD. Talk about overkill. Hey Doc, you think 128GB SSD is good or would you say 2560GB is minimum these days? I am eyeing these two (128GB + 240GB) currently for my new PC.
I am not sure though whether going more capacity is needed since deleting and installing new stuff should be very quick anyway.

Why M500 ? MX100 is the newer and better model. Also no idea if Intenso is good at SSDs.

Saw someone doing a LP of Gorky17 (or Odium, not sure under which name is on Steam). Never seen the game in action before (although it's kind of a cult classic in Poland, I guess), but sounds like the soundtrack isn't half bad actually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBhZkztjIA4

It's by Adam "Scorpik" Skorupa, probably known here most for The Witcher music.
Yeah, Adam Skorupa is dope.

Arthea

If Trails SC is ever released, I'll buy it day one! It can be discounted day after for all I care, just gimme it!

I'm freezing man.. it's like 13 degrees and I am too cold to sleep

that's -11 celsius for you metric loonies

it's other way around, metric is common sense
also -11°C isn't cold! it's chilly

Dr Dogg

1TB SSD. Talk about overkill. Hey Doc, you think 128GB SSD is good or would you say 2560GB is minimum these days? I am eyeing these two (128GB + 240GB) currently for my new PC.
I am not sure though whether going more capacity is needed since deleting and installing new stuff should be very quick anyway.

I've got a 64GB SSD as a boot drive on one PC and after a Windows install, some regular applications and with the Users folder ballooning after a couple of months it was pretty full. Get as big as you can afford is one way of looking at it but really it's all down to how you manage your own system. Some folks can get by very easily on 256, 512gb no problems or there's hoarders like me who could but don't :p

At first glance I've just got huge 'Syndicate' feels from it. Is that the game's intent? If so... I'm in!
For those wanting to know more about the game. Fellow gaffer Phawx got an early copy of the game and made a video of it here. Satellite Reign
I've got a 64GB SSD as a boot drive on one PC and after a Windows install, some regular applications and with the Users folder ballooning after a couple of months it was pretty full. Get as big as you can afford is one way of looking at it but really it's all down to how you manage your own system. Some folks can get by very easily on 256, 512gb no problems or there's hoarders like me who could but don't :p
Hah. Alright, I'll keep an eye out for +200GB deals then.

Arthea

Shadow of Mordor Premium edition is $37.50 in Bundle Star store with coupon: SUPERNOVA25

http://www.bundlestars.com/store/shadow-of-mordor-premium-edition/

we need to go lower
winter sale, believe!

edited: what I was trying to say, no matter when the game is discounted, if we want it, I mean really want, we buy it day one, not for 60-70€, no, normally priced. If we can wait for discount, it's not about price it's that we don't want it that bad right now and with amount of games that are released every day, that's how it is supposed to be.

Alavard

Why so many discounts on new titles?
I mean, it's really strange, a thing like that never happened before.

I think the number of PC gamers who don't buy games at full release prices is rising, and publishers are realizing and having no choice but to discount early and heavy to keep up.

kevin1025

Banned
I think the number of PC gamers who don't buy games at full release prices is rising, and publishers are realizing and having no choice but to discount early and heavy to keep up.

It's likely that and that sales explode during sales like the ones we're seeing. Wolfenstein being as low as it's been got me to buy it, when I never intended to buy it after playing through most of it on PS4.

People dont buy PC games at fullprice, because the fullprice in a lot of cases is higher now. I remember normally it was 40€ for PC-games when I still bought them retail and get a nice little box.

Why should I pay 50 or 60€ for a download-only title then?

Arthea

partly it is rising because of shitty dlcs policies, and not caring for early adopters. So you bought our game day one? You don't get discounted dlcs, we make a new package with couple of dlcs and sell it cheaper than dlcs separately cost, we need moar people to get a game and buy our dlcs, who cares about early adopters, repeat this process five, six times and early adopters end up buying a game five, six times, because reasons, and they can't even gift the game and dlcs they don't need, add to it complete editions that aren't complete, season pass that don't cover even half dlcs, so on and so on.
What's the point of buying most games day one even is anymore? Waiting for fixes, updates, dlcs to be discounted, season passes to be discounted. It's such a pain.

We need to go back to simple life, simple is good! You buy a game, it's final version of a game, it runs how it is supposed to run, it has all content available and if there is an expansion, it feels almost like a new game, and it is a year after and polished and working and costs much less than a game, because you already bought a game!

Dr Dogg

Well one way to look at it is that at least publishers get something out of digital distribution unlike secondhand physical console sales. If they've woken up to the concept of some of the pie rather than none of the pie then you could say that's progress but pricing is always going to be a contentious matter.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This mission was so damn cool (Far Cry 4):

298110_2014-11-27_0005mbqd.jpg

Everything up in the Himalayas has been great, including the pre-order missions.

Alavard

Well one way to look at it is that at least publisher get something out of digital distribution unlike secondhand console sales. If they've woken up to the concept of some of the pie rather than none of the pie then you could say that's progress but pricing is always going to be a contentious matter.

I'm not saying it's a race to the bottom or anything. I think we've sat at the default universal $50/$60 price point for new AAA games for far too long, and the Steam Sales have without a doubt proven that lower prices can mean far higher sales and ultimately higher profits.

M.D

Where can you get Dragonborn (Skyrim DLC) for cheap? Amazon is the cheapest one I found, but I have to use my sister credit card to buy from Amazon and I just used it for Shadow of Mordor so that's a no-no

Terra_Ex

Satellite Reign store page is up. Haven't seen it being mentioned.
Didn't realise it was coming out so soon, haven't really kept up with any of kickstarters I backed, those update emails just get filtered into a folder that I intend to work through but never do. Looking forward to it though.

I think they brought that situation upon themselves when they started edging up the prices, fewer people will buy at release and they're ultimately forced to do deeper discounts earlier to secure more sales. Valve's latest antics with region locking also make me less inclined to open my wallet early. I'm on the fence with these Alien & Evil Within deals, on the one hand, they're cheap enough for me to buy right now, but with those season passes, I think I might be better off just waiting.

Left idlemaster all day yesterday to stock on cards for the meta game on Winter sale. I did sell a few to get some steam bucks for the rest.

S1n1st3r

Banned
Do you remember, guys, PS2 age when a Special Edition/Director's Cut was an event and not the rule? Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3...you actually was HAPPY to buy again those game, first because usually the new edition was cheapest compared to main one (Silent Hill 2 Director's Cut came in Italy as Playstation 2 Platinum title, in example).

Insert-game-name-here GOTY edition 6 months after release.

Hey in an alternate dimension it was GOTY.

Nzyme32

I'm curious, what are your thoughts in the hybrid ssd/mechanical drives you can get these days? I was thinking of going for one when I get round to building my own system again.

Dr Dogg

I'm not saying it's a race to the bottom or anything. I think we've sat at the default universal $50/$60 price point for new AAA games for far too long, and the Steam Sales have without a doubt proven that lower prices can mean far higher sales and ultimately higher profits.

Hahaha no I'm not saying you are either but games are a transient form of entertainment unlike DVD's and CD's. The vast majority of sales will be within 30 day of release and then there will be a massive drop off. You can see this trend over the past couple of decades just but looking at sales charts from various regions. If 60 days on and your game is still selling well at full price then you have something great on your hands but this is a very, very rare case.

So what do you do? Well the late adopters that buy physical console copies a fair percentage do tend to gravitate towards preowned by a fair amount due to lower pricing or cut down deals where the retails wants shot of dead stock taking up inventory space but seeing as digital distribution doesn't take up any space as is primarily price controlled by the distributor and not the retailer then the onus is on them to capitalise on sales.

Is it better to discount early when the game is still in peoples minds after a (probably costly) marketing campaign near release or wait until seasonal sales roll around where a big chunk of your potential customers might be saving up? I have no idea without seeing some figures first and then go through a whole load of analytical data afterwards but I'd happily bet that a lot of business focused folks from the publishers have and it's more about maximising their revenue than appeasing their customers.

I'm curious, what are your thoughts in the hybrid ssd/mechanical drives you can get these days? I was thinking of going for one when I get round to building my own system again.

I've seen them but I'm not too keen so you'd probably be better off asking someone who owns one and has some experience. On paper they look the best of both worlds but still contain drawbacks. Price does look and inbetween amount as well. Realistically you could still go the old route of SSD as a boot drive and then a decent HDD as you media and content drive. So something like a 256gb OS drive with enough space to have the applications that would benefit from the speed increase and then a mech drive for stuff like photos, videos, documents and the such like. P{lus with the ability to add custom folders in Steam now a days it's a doddle to move stuff from one drive to another without any separate applications and not throw a spanner in the works.

Teppic

It took over a month, but I finally got my ticket sorted out by the playfire support.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a coupon. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

80% off XCOM: Enemy Within (GMG) -- MB-5EE5BE7A7299A6E2 - Taken by Arthea

Baha

I'm getting "error initializing transaction" whenever I try to add steam funds. Also had this issue when I tried buying a gift copy of a game for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom