• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
Hello Steam folk! My new PC arrived and I'm set up on Steam, which didn't exist the last time I played games on PC. So, any advice is appeciated.

Hello Steam folk! My new PC arrived and I'm set up on Steam, which didn't exist the last time I played games on PC. So, any advice is appeciated.

What are you looking for in particular? General Steam advice, game recommendations, or something else?

Steam as a platform is pretty straightforward. If you're jumping in on the sale, the general rule of thumb is don't buy it unless it's a daily sale item (or flash sale, but the current sale doesn't have those), or it's the last day of the sale. This allows you to be 95% certain that you're getting the best price for the current sale.

Also, set up Steam Guard if you haven't already. It helps secure your account. Oh, and don't accept friend invites from low-level players -- and if you do, don't click any links they send you through chat.

Bundles are your friends.
Wait for sales if you don't need something now, now, now.
Track the topic, I and others list dozens of deals every day.

Also, all of this.

Turfster

Bundles are your friends.
Wait for sales if you don't need something now, now, now.
Track the topic, I and others list dozens of deals every day.

Annubis

Steam as a platform is pretty straightforward. If you're jumping in on the sale, the general rule of thumb is don't buy it unless it's a daily sale item (or flash sale, but the current sale doesn't have those), or it's the last day of the sale. This allows you to be 95% certain that you're getting the best price for the current sale.

That last 5% is pricing errors of course.

D3RANG3D

jRZwiBQGn7MIO.jpg

Tellaerin

You've gotta be kidding me. Looks like Razer's pushing their own version of isthereanydeal.com now. o_O Something called "Razer Cortex: Deals".

SNAG THE LOWEST PRICES FROM THE TOP STORES

Engineered to maximize your game savings, Razer Cortex: Deals is the free price comparison engine for PC games. Now, you can easily find the best deals from across the web’s top digital game stores:

Was this really necessary?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

jshackles' Enhanced Steam is a helpful aid if you are going to be using the Steam website to look at and buy games, trade/sell cards, etc.

Green Man Gaming has a system called Playfire Rewards, which can give small amounts of credit to use on GMG simply for doing achievements then list out for that week. https://www.playfire.com/
A site that makes it even easier through highlighting what games you have. http://steamlessness.appspot.com/?someSteamIdentifier

If you are going to trade cards, there are plenty of sites, but for the quickest response I've found this Steam group to be worth it. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards/discussions

Either during the sale seasons or normal operations, places like IsThereAnyDeal.com, SteamDB and Steam Sales Rhekua are incredibly helpful to find the best prices for things. Enhanced Steam also can show lowest prices or when things have been in bundles.

Games are often bundled together, so worth keeping an eye on them. Just a few of the big names in this regard.
Bundle Stars
Blink Bundle
Indie Gala
Groupees
Indie Royale
Humble Bundle , the one most paid attention to.

Don't ignore Amazon, at times they have better deals for games that activate on Steam.

If you are not affraid of using a VPN to purchase from another region, http://www.nuuvem.com often has a lot of deals. Someone else here can provide explanation on that.

Indie games are big on Steam and two sites that have a big focus on them, often with great deals, are IndieGameStand and Playism. The later being a bigger focus on Japanese games.
Note both offer non-Steam games, but plenty that do activate on Steam or will provide a key once they do show up on Steam.

just popping in to say that the side missions in Saints Row 4 are weak as fuck and i only do them because they hide some of the better perks behind them. Pretty annoying, though.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, everyone. I bought a bundle full of truck simulators. I think I may wind up in trouble.

The BundleStars bundle? From what I hear, Euro Truck 1/2 are great games if you want to relax or need something to do while listening to podcasts.

I would avoid Taxi though.

well just got batman from nuuvem. I didn't want it, my bro did but it was only 3 bucks. if i only get 1 hour of enjoyment i'll feel like i got my moneys worth. I'm sure he'll have a lot of fun though, he really liked City.

I bought an Xbox one controller, anyone knows how could I setup the controller to work wireless? I already made it work while connected to the USB

You have made a HUGE mistake. :p

How good is depressurizer nowadays? I've read several reviews, but all were written soon after release, and the obvious big complaint was that you're forced to depend on Steam's categorizations. I'm sure that hasn't changed, but has Steam gotten any better at categorizing?

I guess what I'm asking is that if I have maybe 150 steam games, with maybe 50 already organized, should i bite the bullet and just finish it myself or take a chance on automation?

Depressurizer, since I started using it back at the 0.4 release timeframe, has never depended on Steam's categorization (where everything is apparently an action game). Unless you mean that depressurizer is forced to use the categories function of the Steam client... in which case, how the hell can that be a complaint against Depressurizer? :lol

Prior to recent updates it was the only way to quickly categorize a multitude of games.

I just updated to 0.6.x the other day and it works fine if you don't want to do your categorization using the steam client.

well just got batman from nuuvem. I didn't want it, my bro did but it was only 3 bucks. if i only get 1 hour of enjoyment i'll feel like i got my moneys worth. I'm sure he'll have a lot of fun though, he really liked City.

How can you not like the Arkham games or Batman?
You're dead to me.

mucRNgD.gif

You've made a terrible mistake. The third Batman game isn't out until next year.

You're dead to me too.
City was good, but Origins was better.
Pretending like it doesn't exist? Shame on you.
Especially since you seem to be promoting the game that needlessly forces the Batmobile on you because they're "innovating" in the gameplay department.

mucRNgD.gif

You've made a terrible mistake. The third Batman game isn't out until next year.

Jørdan

Thanks, man. I do know my password, but I'll probably wait until after the sale, so I don't potentially risk anything.

As Nabs pointed out I misread it so you could be OK but I understand the caution, I've been put on a time out multiple times from unknown issues with cookies/registered devices. Let us know how you get on.

Tellaerin

Along with the sale updates people post in these threads, there are some sites out there that track current sales and bundles. Epic Bundle is the one I follow, though the good folks here may be able to recommend some others.

You're dead to me too.
City was good, but Origins was better.
Pretending like it doesn't exist? Shame on you.

Origins was a buggy mess, though. The kind-of lame boss fights were a pretty big negative, too.

It was pretty much Arkham City 1.5 Snow Edition. Mostly the same area, mostly the same enemies, mostly the same villians, just with added snow.

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't up to Rocksteady standards, either.

Especially since you seem to be promoting the game that needlessly forces the Batmobile on you because they're "innovating" in the gameplay department.

You mean like how Origins tried to "innovate" by adding in absolutely god-awful multiplayer by the team that was responsible for the AAA smash-hit Brink?

EDIT: I just re-read that and realized that it sounds overly harsh. I didn't absolutely hate it, but there's a reason we have this:

My advice is to hang around here. These folks have Steam so well speculated that I have concerns of insider trading.

Namely that they'll get you to buy shit you didn't know you wanted for prices you didn't know you could get them for.

yuraya

If you don't own any Valve games, you can pick up the Valve complete pack for $25. Great bundle if you never played Half Life, Portal, etc.

You also have CSGO, DOTA 2, and TF2 as your biggest time sinks which make great use of the steam inventory and market. Big WARNING tho as they all can consume your life if you are not careful.

You can trade for games/keys/items via places like TF2outpost.com. Always be careful as there are many scammers out there. Don't accept random friend requests from low level private profiles. Also never click on any links when chatting with strangers in steam chat.

And remember to use the Nexus site for mods if you play rpg games. Especially Bethesda games like Skyrim/NV. There is also some great threads for modding those games here on GAF.

I really enjoyed Origins, way more than AC for sure.

Good on you!

Origins was a buggy mess, though. The kind-of lame boss fights were a pretty big negative, too.

It was pretty much Arkham City 1.5 Snow Edition. Mostly the same area, mostly the same enemies, mostly the same villians, just with added snow.

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't up to Rocksteady standards, either.

You mean like how Origins tried to "innovate" by adding in absolutely god-awful multiplayer by the team that was responsible for the AAA smash-hit Brink?

EDIT: I just re-read that and realized that it sounds kind of harsh. I didn't absolutely hate it, but there's a reason we have this:

Origins took all the good things about City and made them better while ditching all the bad things.
I also encountered 0 bugs that made enough of an impression or an impact on me or my experience to make me agree with it being a "buggy mess" in all the hours I've logged with the game. I do vaguely remember a few glitches, but nothing that made me think the reputation it had for being a riddled (ha!) with bugs was accurate.

2014-11-28_22-17-48.png

The story was better.
The addition of real detective type segments.
The city was better designed and had new and interesting locations... I really liked the addition of the bridge and the section involving the police station and the hotel.
The combat was about on par -- the speed was different or something... maybe it was just sped up. But after I adjusted, it was like I never left.
The collectibles weren't overdone.
There was no forced Catwoman segments that broke the flow which means...
The overall pacing was better.
I liked the new challenge system with it's four tiers and rewards.
Deathstroke. It. Has. Motherfucking. Deathstroke. Slade all day. Especially since you can use him on the challenge maps and he actually feels like a fleshed out character and not a reskin of Batman with a limited move set.
Fast Travel. FAST. TRAVEL. No more forced gliding across the city if you don't want it.
Angry Batman is the best Batman.

I could probably think of more too.

Sure, they tried to add multiplayer. I've heard there are some people who really liked it. But innovative or not the best part about the addition of multiplayer is that it didn't really negatively affect the single player experience. Since I avoided it, I cannot say whether it was something that should've worked even though it wasn't necessary [like ME3 multi, or even more so Dead Space 2] or if it was just a flat out waste of time and resources [like Uncharted, The Darkness, Bioshock 2, etc.].

Now look at that AK gameplay trailer. I have to get in the batmobile, rocket jump into the whatever, blow up some "drone cars" because the Batman doesn't kill but we need rockets and guns on our car, jump out, rescue some person, put him in the car, drive out, get out, then drive back in and do it 3-4 more fucking times? No fucking thank you.

While I was a bit burnt out on the Arkham franchise when Origins came out and wasn't in line for day one, I was at least interested in it and wanted to play it eventually. Arkham Knight? I'm interested in the story, but I'm tempted to Wikipedia it depending on how much they force the Batmobile down my throat.

Furthermore, Shadownet offered me a copy of AK instead of TRotTR when it was touted as a X1 exclusive and the PC version was in limbo. I flat out refused.
City was a step down from Asylum. And at this rate, it looks like Knight will be a very pretty letdown from City/Origins.

Welcome.
If you would like some friends, post up your community URL here.
You'll get more than your fair share, for certain.

zkylon

zkylewd
just popping in to say that the side missions in Saints Row 4 are weak as fuck and i only do them because they hide some of the better perks behind them. Pretty annoying, though.

saints row 4 is imo not that great of a game in general

the super powers never felt satisfying enough for me like say in prototype or something

get on the indie revolution

first stop is humblebundle and generally getting cheap indie games on steam during sales

it'll blow your head off how much good stuff there is for like 2 usd

Ventara

So I'm planning to buy a bunch of games off of nuuvem and activate through VPN. This won't get me banned, right? Because that would suck a lot.

Also, just to make sure I understand correctly, I need to buy the games, and then log in to my Steam account through Chrome with Hola set to Brazil and activate. Then I can play the games normally on my Steam account. Correct?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I'm planning to buy a bunch of games off of nuuvem and activate through VPN. This won't get me banned, right? Because that would suck a lot.

Also, just to make sure I understand correctly, I need to buy the games, and then log in to my Steam account through Chrome with Hola set to Brazil and activate. Then I can play the games normally on my Steam account. Correct?

If the game has activation restrictions by region, I don't recommend using a VPN to activate them as that's expressly against the Steam Subscriber Agreement and can lead to your account being banned.

Jawmuncher

All this time i've been on PC, and indies are still low on my list of games to get.
My tastes in games just don't seem to mesh well with a lot of whats on offer usually.

Turfster

Is that the one where the bride shows up while there are burning stiffs all around?
I'm blanking on the exact "furnace" unless you're referring to chapter 5 -- and that's just a really bad difficulty spike.

No, end of chapter 3.
Where you have to do a fight against a bunch of dudes (okay, easy), then take out the sewage sister so you get a dude you can throw on the furnace pile... and then you punch the button and two of those fucking fire priests show up and torch me in a few instants... every fucking time.

zkylon

zkylewd
All this time i've been on PC, and indies are still low on my list of games to get.
My tastes in games just don't seem to mesh well with a lot of whats on offer usually.

i'd say you're missing out big time but taste is weird

i'd certainly wouldn't be still playing games on pc if it weren't for indies

Ventara

If the game has activation restrictions by region, I don't recommend using a VPN to activate them as that's expressly against the Steam Subscriber Agreement and can lead to your account being banned.

Alright, thanks. I guess I'll pass on those nuuvem deals. It's not worth the risk.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I've never seen any reliable reports of someone having their account restricted because of VPN usage related to key activations. I've activated a whole bunch myself. My guess is that Valve doesn't care because it doesn't see a cent from them, whereas store-bought gifts and such are a different matter. You are right that the SSA technically forbids using a VPN at all, though.

Alright, thanks. I guess I'll pass on those nuuvem deals. It's not worth the risk.

For what it's worth, Valve stopped outright banning/disabling accounts almost three years ago now. Regardless of what you do, you'll never lose access to your current library.

Miguel81

If you like Metroidvanias, then give Aquaria a try. That's the game that got me interested in indie games. It has a beautiful world and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom