• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

At least you are not Derrick.

Still miss his thoughts on games though. He made many a thread very entertaining.

i'd say you're missing out big time but taste is weird

i'd certainly wouldn't be still playing games on pc if it weren't for indies

I can't think of the last indie I played. I guess it would be Transistor if were not talking VNs.
I have nothing against them I'm just so picky when it comes to them for some reason.
Unless there's a lot of talk about the title like Hotline Miami or Gone Home I sadly just can't give them a chance. Too much to play for me I guess already, so I guess not putting a lot of priority on indies helps with that.
If you like Metroidvanias, then give Aquaria a try. That's the game that got me interested in indie games. It has a beautiful world and the soundtrack is fantastic.

I do have it just hanging out in my library. But I also have Valdis as well which I played somewhat.
can't recall where I stopped on that.

Asgaro

All this time i've been on PC, and indies are still low on my list of games to get.
My tastes in games just don't seem to mesh well with a lot of whats on offer usually.

In a sense, I'm jealous...

If that was the case for me, I would probably already have completed my backlog by now.

Now my wishlist just keeps piling up and it's all because of dem sneaky awesome indie games.

edit: seems you do play indie, just very selective.
I'm still jealous.

zkylon

zkylewd
I can't think of the last indie I played. I guess it would be Transistor if were not talking VNs.
I have nothing against them I'm just so picky when it comes to them for some reason.
Unless there's a lot of talk about the title like Hotline Miami or Gone Home I sadly just can't give them a chance. Too much to play for me I guess already, so I guess not putting a lot of priority on indies helps with that.
i'm kind of the opposite

i only play a few aaa games if i feel like there's something interesting (say, bio infinite)/has souls in their name

but i feel like 90% of the aaa games i see do nothing for me

Ventara

I've never seen any reliable reports of someone having their account restricted because of VPN usage related to key activations. I've activated a whole bunch myself. My guess is that Valve doesn't care because it doesn't see a cent from them, whereas store-bought gifts and such are a different matter. You are right that the SSA technically forbids using a VPN at all, though.

For what it's worth, Valve stopped outright banning/disabling accounts almost three years ago now. Regardless of what you do, you'll never lose access to your current library.

When you say they stopped outright banning, do you mean they give warnings, or ban you but still allow you to play your games? If it's the former, I might consider it, but I don't want to be banned from buying games off of Steam.

MUnited83

For you.
So I'm planning to buy a bunch of games off of nuuvem and activate through VPN. This won't get me banned, right? Because that would suck a lot.

Also, just to make sure I understand correctly, I need to buy the games, and then log in to my Steam account through Chrome with Hola set to Brazil and activate. Then I can play the games normally on my Steam account. Correct?

A few things:

-You can't activate games with Chrome
- Valve doesn't ban accounts anymore, just limits them
- There has never been a reliable report of anyone being banned for using a VPN to activate CD-keys. I've done it many many times(especially to get region-specific versions of games) and never had a single issue.

On indie games: every one of them sucks.

Get out.

No, end of chapter 3.
Where you have to do a fight against a bunch of dudes (okay, easy), then take out the sewage sister so you get a dude you can throw on the furnace pile... and then you punch the button and two of those fucking fire priests show up and torch me in a few instants... every fucking time.

Ah... ok.
So here's a few tips that may help. Spoilering since you did..

Buy the skill that slows down time when you counter immediately.
Stay at range, counter the projectiles -- they're pretty easy and have a large window for timing compared to other attacks. Then dash in and hit them with a hard combo and get out.

You can still use this strategy, but it's not as effective without the slowdown.
Alternatively, make sure you go to the left and take out that sewage bitch immediately before you hit the button... but make sure you execute her and take the hagpipes. When the flaming shitbags show up, squirt them a few times and cause a violent fire reaction... you can also squirt the bodies in the furnace first, just so if you end up using too much of the hagpipes on the fire priests and run out you won't have to kill them again.

Also, I think as soon as you can execute one, do it... use a shot or two to finish off the other, just make sure you save a shot for the furnace.

that was derrick, you dumbo

iGwfF2Y.jpg

KingKong

Man, I'm just not enjoying Evil Within at all. I wasn't a huge fan of RE4 but it at least had style and humor, this game is just a mishmash of horror tropes and generic environments, combined with poor combat and awkward controls

Jawmuncher

Hey now, I do that too!
Of course, nobody reads my posts, so...

The have to do it on a grander scale though.

In a sense, I'm jealous...

If that was the case for me, I would probably already have completed my backlog by now.

Now my wishlist just keeps piling up and it's all because of dem sneaky awesome indie games.

edit: seems you do play indie, just very selective.
I'm still jealous.

I can't imagine my list if I was really into indies as well. I would be worse off in terms of backlog then I am now.

i'm kind of the opposite

i only play a few aaa games if i feel like there's something interesting (say, bio infinite)/has souls in their name

but i feel like 90% of the aaa games i see do nothing for me

Which is easily understandable. Especially if you're looking for something more fresh.

Im kind of the same way. I enjoy a few of them though.

Pretty much. I'll never flat out cut them out, but they stay pretty low on the watch list.
Unless they gather a lot of talk or have a highly interesting concept to me.

That guy Derrick is infamous around these parts. Dude's like El Guapo. If only he had a bit more tact, he would still be around.

You can get status updates in your steam activity feed if he's on your friends list!

--

Ok, so we always blame Disney for the lack of LEGO Star Wars/Indy games going on sale... right?

But Disney also owns Marvel.

So why is LEGO Marvel always on sale again? :\

--

Man, I'm just not enjoying Evil Within at all. I wasn't a huge fan of RE4 but it at least had style and humor, this game is just a mishmash of horror tropes and generic environments, combined with poor combat and awkward controls

Get. out.

Jawmuncher

How far along are you.
I will say that I probably won't get much better for you regardless in terms of the environments ans such. Since it really does feel like the game just used whatever they wanted for the levels. But the later segments have really fun encounters, but if you aren't getting with the controls that might be a problem.

KingKong

Get. out.

You know that mind numbing feeling you get when you play a bad game? like Deadly Premonition or Shadow Warrior? this is what it feels like

How far along are you.
I will say that I probably won't get much better for you regardless in terms of the environments ans such. Since it really does feel like the game just used whatever they wanted for the levels. But the later segments have really fun encounters, but if you aren't getting with the controls that might be a problem.

in the middle of chapter 5

the village was actually decent, but oh boy this generic hospital level..

also the constant returning to that place to upgrade and having to follow the nurse to do a little event before I can save just suuucks

Miguel81

Get. out.

The demo actually left a great impression on me. The atmosphere was sublime, and even at ~30fps and letterboxed it didn't matter. Only got nauseous in the beginning, but that's normal for me with lower framerates. Will try it again after I get a new gpu.

Is there anywhere you can get Resident Evil 4 on the cheap?

Shit, you missed the Gamersgate sale(10.00) plus 20% off coupon.

Is there anywhere you can get Resident Evil 4 on the cheap?

Get. out.

You know that mind numbing feeling you get when you play a bad game? like Deadly Premonition or Shadow Warrior? this is what it feels like

Oh wait, you can stay. :p

Ventara

A few things:

-You can't activate games with Chrome
- Valve doesn't ban accounts anymore, just limits them
- There has never been a reliable report of anyone being banned for using a VPN to activate CD-keys. I've done it many many times(especially to get region-specific versions of games) and never had a single issue.

But I have activated a game through Steam on Chrome (back before I knew using VPN was against TOS). I actually thought that's how everyone does it. Through Chrome using Hola.

Anyways, what do you mean by limit? Are they permanent? I don't want to get a notice saying I'm never allowed to buy/trade Steam games anymore.

Just thought I'd show this thread some love:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (outunderthestars, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Proteus -- MB-CEF601B0D427141D - Taken by Henry Swanson. 5 entrants total.

t1417244213z1.png

But I have activated a game through Steam on Chrome (back before I knew using VPN was against TOS). I actually thought that's how everyone does it. Through Chrome using Hola.

Anyways, what do you mean by limit? Are they permanent? I don't want to get a notice saying I'm never allowed to buy/trade Steam games anymore.

How in the holy hell are you activating keys on Steam via a web browser outside of sites like Humble or Indiegala that use the "Sign in through Steam" to "allow website to redeem cd-keys on my behalf" or whatever?

Ventara

How in the holy hell are you activating keys on Steam via a web browser outside of sites like Humble or Indiegala that use the "Sign in through Steam" to "allow website to redeem cd-keys on my behalf" or whatever?

Lol, I'm an idiot. I was thinking these were region-locked gifts, lol. I'm sorry. Don't mock me.

So, anyways, it's fine to buy keys on nuuvem and activate normally on Steam?

Edit: Why was VPN brought up when needing to buy from nuuvem? That's what tripped me up. So do I actually need to use VPN to buy games from nuuvem?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The people I've seen that have had their accounts limited (it's correct that you're no longer banned, only restricted) for using a VPN to bypass regional pricing (again, kinda iffy on whether or not this includes CD-keys) have all been a permanent restriction. You're locked out of the community features (friends, marketplace, trading, gifting, etc) as well as restricted from purchasing games or activating new ones. Basically, you can still play the games you've purchased but if you want new or different games or access to the community features you'll have to create a new account.

As others have said, it's pretty common practice to ignore that part of the subscriber agreement, so your chances of getting caught doing it are probably pretty low.

MUnited83

For you.

The browser version of Steam has no option to activate cd-keys.

As far as we know, the limits are not permanent. It seems to be around 2 months in most cases apparently.

The people I've seen that have had their accounts limited (it's correct that you're no longer banned, only restricted) for using a VPN to bypass regional pricing
Do note that those are in cases where you use a VPN to buy a game directly from Steam with your account. I don't think that applies to activation of cd-keys.

Ban Puncher

I woke up this afternoon, covered in someone else's blood, a completely different person's urine, and a copy of Smash Bros for Wii U and a full set of Amiibos.

What the hell happened this morning?

Steam sale continues to be kinda 'okay I guess'. If anything it has further proved to me that the store redesign is garbage. Did pick up Shadow Warrior yesterday though.

Dem fighting words.

Mostly nothing.

deus ex HR ; )

Nah, he said it was ok.

Derrick was on to something when he declared all indie games crap.

...he's the hero NeoGAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

I woke up this afternoon, covered in someone else's blood, and completely different person's urine, and a copy of Smash Bros for Wii U and a full set of Amiibos.

What the hell happened this morning?.

You settled it in Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom