• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Also, I am disappoint, GAF
Why did nobody tell me you should leave at least 25% of your SSD space free for optimal read/write speeds?
I've been doing it wrong for the last year...

abracadaver

State of decay worth it? Is the PC version better than the 360 version besides resolution and framerate? Isn't there a new version coming out in 2015? Will it be an update for the PC or do we have to buy again then? So many questions. I got it on 360 but only played like 30 minutes

It's snowing!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Lost Civilization -- MB-9B2800E20A57D0E4 - Taken by ussjtrunks. 2 entrants total.
Face Noir -- MB-A4E6998C9F118C17 - Taken by texhnolyze
Platypus -- MB-60FC572DC2C61463 - Taken by anastef
Jack Orlando Director's Cut -- MB-5C3CFE9BADB479B2 - Taken by nja
Racer 8 -- MB-4033BFC9BC673F43 - Taken by outunderthestars
Power Up -- MB-1F376BBD2B745613 - Taken by Benedict
Depth Hunter 2: Deep Dive -- MB-8C73A7C6A3FBF7D6 - Taken by ExoSoul

Thorgal

a kind of touchy subject but one that has been plaguing me recently

I fully get that putting Killable children in Violent games is a big no no for most games but why does nobody ever cry foul about Fallout and Skyrim games where , through using a very simple mod allows kids to die ?

The mod is available on the Nexus modding site so it is not a mod that can only be found by digging into the deepest bowels of the internet .

So why is this tolerated and not requested by bethesda to the modding site tobe removed ?

FTR i am not against the mod since i am using it myself .

Tellaerin

Urgh FFS :(

Why do I fee of late more debs have an animosity towards Steam sales?

I don't think it's your imagination. Maybe they think that by going without a sale for as long as possible, they'll eke out more money. I think they're banking on this idea that if people are desperate enough for a particular game, they'll eventually bite the bullet and buy even if it's not on sale. What they don't seem to be taking into account is that there are a lot of other games out there. Sure, there are folks that must have that one specific title to be satisfied, but there's a far greater number of potential buyers that just want "a good, fun (insert genre here) game". If you keep the price of your game high, they'll buy something else instead. So I doubt it's nearly as lucrative a strategy as some people seem to think it is.

a kind of touchy subject but one that has been plaguing me recently

I fully get that putting Killable children in Violent games is a big no no for most games but why does nobody ever cry foul about Fallout and Skyrim games where , through using a very simple mod allows kids to die ?

The mod is available on the Nexus modding site so it is not a mod that can only be found by digging into the deepest bowels of the internet .

So why is this tolerated ?

FTR i am not against the mod since i am using it myself .

What's to tolerate? It's not the designer's "canon" vision of the game. It's a totally elective thing that you have to go out of your way to install yourself. That particular mod's something I find seriously distasteful, personally - why the fuck do you need to be able to gun down kids in a game for kicks? - but I respect somebody's right to mod the games they buy in whatever way they see fit. Would you rather the media make a fuss over it?

Edit: And re Bethesda's potential involvement: I don't think Bethesda has the time or inclination to police every potentially objectionable mod that's released for their games, nor should they have to.

Why did nobody tell me you should leave at least 25% of your SSD space free for optimal read/write speeds?
I never fill up my drives, I think I got a mental block for that, I always try to clear things out.

Shadownet

Banned
State of decay worth it? Is the PC version better than the 360 version besides resolution and framerate? Isn't there a new version coming out in 2015? Will it be an update for the PC or do we have to buy again then? So many questions. I got it on 360 but only played like 30 minutes

Yes, Yes, Not Sure, and Not Sure.

Long story short. I never play the 360 version. But my Pc version run smooth as butter and I haven't encounter any glitch or bug.

I have a GTX760 and I can run this game at Maximum Setting (Not Ultra) at a stable 60fps. If I try Ultra, it occasionally dip into 56 fps.

Dr Dogg

Well it's been no different than with mech drivers. Personally 25% is a little high and I've always found 10% is the idea amount of wiggle room (about the point Windows changes the capacity bar from blue to red) for both HDD's and SSD's. Samsung had a paper out yonks ago regards to TLC NAND and their Over Provisioning tool in Magician. They sum it up in a pretty good way of saying that if you were a chef working in a cramped space you'd take longer to get your meal ready, more so with other orders coming in.

topyy

Don't miss Bad Rats again.

ModBot said:
Instructions for topyy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Indiegala The Mixed Up Bundle -- MB-CEC91036D7E4FF7A - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.

t1417254174z1.png

Ban Puncher

Yo did you get a copy of Far Cry 4? Apparently that's the deal when you get one of those from Newegg.

It mentioned something about Far Cry 4 when I was checking out but I didn't see it advertised on the sale page.

Edit: I see it on the sale page now in tiny print. Says it may only be for US residents so I probably won't get it. Or if I do it'll be uPlay, just for shits and giggles.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah wave missions in valkyria are kind of the worst

it's not too bad but having to restart the mission cos there's no way you can beat it on your first run is pretty lame

Shadownet

Banned
It mentioned something about Far Cry 4 when I was checking out but I didn't see it advertised on the sale page.

Edit: I see it on the sale page now in tiny print. Says it may only be for US residents so I probably won't get it. Or if I do it'll be uPlay, just for shits and giggles.

Well damn I hope you'll get it. If not, you can probably contact Newegg customer service. It would be stupid if it is US only.

Wait, what? I read that it had an auto-sort function that relied on Steam's categorization of games. Are you saying that isn't the metadata it uses to auto-sort? What data does it use for it then?

And, no, I did not mean your second interpretation. I am specifically talking about auto-sorting games into categories.

Well, for auto sort, yeah... it pulls from categories on Steam.
But the real power in Depressurizer is that you can massively group games and quickly categorize them. It's a bit less useful now that you can multi-group and multi-select games in your library for categorization.

Ban Puncher

Well damn I hope you'll get it. If not, you can probably contact Newegg customer service. It would be stupid if it is US only.

I forgot to mention, I ordered through Amazon.

Newegg don't do international orders unless that has changed the last time I looked at their website.

Dr Dogg

I forgot to mention, I ordered through Amazon.

Newegg don't do international orders unless that has changed the last time I looked at their website.

It's a big promo Samsung and Ubi have done for a few years now. Here's the redemption site for Far Cry 4 and 840 EVO's in particular.

http://www.samsung.com/us/promotions/far-cry-4/

Salsa got a redemption voucher for Ass Creed Unity earlier in the thread for an idea of what you might get with your order and Casimir did mention the promo earlier and said both Newegg and Amazon so fingers crossed.

Spares
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dreaming Sarah -- MB-2AC12FF8F700DF05 - Taken by demented. 2 entrants total.
Steel & Steam -- MB-7F2A939464CD4D1A - Taken by Milamber. 2 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess -- MB-A21AE8D987E38CE1 - Taken by redlacs. 2 entrants total.

t1417255615z1.png

Luigiv

Hmm, I'm tempted to pick up Shadow of Mordor but if I do, should I pick up the bundle with the season pass or should I just get the game by itself?

Thorgal

I don't think it's your imagination. Maybe they think that by going without a sale for as long as possible, they'll eke out more money. I think they're banking on this idea that if people are desperate enough for a particular game, they'll eventually bite the bullet and buy even if it's not on sale. What they don't seem to be taking into account is that there are a lot of other games out there. Sure, there are folks that must have that one specific title to be satisfied, but there's a far greater number of potential buyers that just want "a good, fun (insert genre here) game". If you keep the price of your game high, they'll buy something else instead. So I doubt it's nearly as lucrative a strategy as some people seem to think it is.

fair enough

What's to tolerate? It's not the designer's "canon" vision of the game. It's a totally elective thing that you have to go out of your way to install yourself. That particular mod's something I find seriously distasteful, personally - why the fuck do you need to be able to gun down kids in a game for kicks? - but I respect somebody's right to mod the games they buy in whatever way they see fit. Would you rather the media make a fuss over it?

Edit: And re Bethesda's potential involvement: I don't think Bethesda has the time or inclination to police every potentially objectionable mod that's released for their games, nor should they have to.

While it is true this mod allows you to gun down kids it is not the reason i use it .
i use the mod for immersion reasons as it solves 1 of my 2 most immersion breaking issues with their games , fallout in particular .

when a town get's attacked by mutants and deathclaws and the population get's wiped out why should the kids be the only survivors simply because of their invincibility ?
It is incredibly immersion breaking seeing 4 deathclaws attacking a kid for 5 minutes without the kid dying .

The other problem that breaks immersion for me is what happens when you loot someone ,
Imagine me shooting a raider who wears only a few rags and then when looting him and taking his clothing he suddenly wears a clean white shirt and underpants .
This is why i also use the nudity mods .

xBladeM6x

yeah wave missions in valkyria are kind of the worst

it's not too bad but having to restart the mission cos there's no way you can beat it on your first run is pretty lame

Don't wait for the waves to end, actively go on the offensive and try to kill them / use defensive inception fire to kill them all on their turn, so you get "Operation Complete" before any reinforcements show up.

autoduelist

Well, for auto sort, yeah... it pulls from categories on Steam.
But the real power in Depressurizer is that you can massively group games and quickly categorize them. It's a bit less useful now that you can multi-group and multi-select games in your library for categorization.

Right, but auto-sort is exactly what I want. Assuming the metadata is decent, of course, but I seriously doubt it is.

Everytime I sit down to sort the games I run away. It's easy enough with the obvious stuff, there's just so much bundle debris that i have to research before i know exactly where to put it.

Dr Dogg

Hmm, I'm tempted to pick up Shadows of Mordor but if I do, should I pick up the bundle with the season pass or should I just get the game by itself?

Well at the moment all the DLC on the store page has come with the season pass which is mainly challenge mode stuff, extra runes for your weapons and a skin or two. The single player expansion hasn't dropped yet which is mainly what I bought it for. Really you could wait for that as that's what I did with Arkham Origins and I got the season pass for that at about -50/66% off in and around April this year and wasn't late to the party for Cold, Cold Heart at all. Up to you really if you see the valuve in buying it now or waiting regards to the content you might be after.

wilflare

question -
Do we still use GeDoSaTo with nVidia GPUs? or do nVidia GPUs/drivers do downsampling on the own?

Has anyone managed to get Steam IHS to work with the nVidia Shield?

and... can we use VPN to buy DAI cheap?

Luigiv

Just buy the game, most of the DLCs are challenge maps, watch campaign missions on YouTube of you want.

Yeah this is a fair point. A quick google seems to reinforce this point too. Probably best I just pick up the game by itself now and actually see if I like it enough to bother with dlc first. I'm sure the season pass will go on special again in the future If I do decide I want to get it.

Well at the moment all the DLC on the store page has come with the season pass which is mainly challenge mode stuff, extra runes for your weapons and a skin or two. The single player expansion hasn't dropped yet which is mainly what I bought it for. Really you could wait for that as that's what I did with Arkham Origins and I got the season pass for that at about -50/66% off in and around April this year and wasn't late to the party for Cold, Cold Heart at all. Up to you really if you see the valuve in buying it now or waiting regards to the content you might be after.

Yeah sounds like a plan.

Thanks for responding guys.

i thought this would never happen to me, but it finally did. i bought a game i already owned :p
Well, seeing the nature of it(a key from GMG), i'm giving it away here. I doubt i could manage to refund it.
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dio Brando, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Story about my uncle -- MB-1D31D4D83FF7826C - Taken by $h@d0w. 9 entrants total.

t1417256934z1.png

Dr Dogg

question -
Do we still use GeDoSaTo with nVidia GPUs? or do nVidia GPUs/drivers do downsampling on the own?

Well Dynamic Super Resolution only goes up to 4 times the resolution of your monitor where as GeDoSaTo will got to infinity (well the limits of your GPU). Though DSR will work with anything that supports arbitrary resolutions where as GeDoSaTo only supports DX9 for the time being but does have a very niffty set of post effects and AA as well as compatability for Unity engine games. I see them both as great tools to have in your box of toys.

I don't think IHS will work on a SHIELD due to that being an Android tablet and not having a Steam client. It does use Nvidia's own streaming tech, GameStream but that's a bit limited.

A few folks have bought DA:I from the Mexican store and I've got to the point of having it in my cart but chickened out. I assume that's still an open avenue?

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't wait for the waves to end, actively go on the offensive and try to kill them / use defensive inception fire to kill them all on their turn, so you get "Operation Complete" before any reinforcements show up.
yeah it's just that an enemy turn takes like 3 minutes and you can't load or quit midway while they may just have killed all your strategy on their first action

numbers rush missions aren't interesting as scenario based missions like raiding the beach with smoke cover or the trench warfare mission and stuff. it's just annoying because you're unprepared so you have to lose at least once to figure out a tactic. and because turns move so slowly and actions can't be skipped if you wanna try things out it takes forever

loss within victory
is a terrible mission

very frustrating

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
question -

Gedosato lets you turn off HUD elements and do texture replacements, but only works on DirectX 9 games, I think. I haven't played around with the new DSR stuff since I don't have the card for it, but it sounds pretty similar to what you could do before which was set up larger default resolutions.

And I believe you can use VPN to buy DAI cheap on Mexican Origin without issue, yes.

Edit: This is what I get for taking the time to edit out all the swear words and obscene tangents in my post.

wilflare

Well Dynamic Super Resolution only goes up to 4 times the resolution of your monitor where as GeDoSaTo will got to infinity (well the limits of your GPU). Though DSR will work with anything that supports arbitrary resolutions where as GeDoSaTo only supports DX9 for the time being but does have a very niffty set of post effects and AA as well as compatability for Unity engine games. I see them both as great tools to have in your box of toys.

I don't think IHS will work on a SHIELD due to that being an Android tablet and not having a Steam client. It does use Nvidia's own streaming tech, GameStream but that's a bit limited.

A few folks have bought DA:I from the Mexican store and I've got to the point of having it in my cart but chickened out. I assume that's still an open avenue?

Gedosato lets you turn off HUD elements and do texture replacements, but only works on DirectX 9 games, I think. I haven't played around with the new DSR stuff since I don't have the card for it, but it sounds pretty similar to what you could do before which was set up larger default resolutions.

And I believe you can use VPN to buy DAI cheap on Mexican Origin without issue, yes.

Edit: This is what I get for taking the time to edit out all the swear words and obscene tangents in my post.

thanks guys! appreciate the reply! can't wait for the 970 to arrive so I can play around with DSR and nVidia GameStream

I'm just thinking if the Shield is a better solution to stream Steam games to my TV (than the HP Stream 7 tablet)

Shadownet

Banned
Confess, you enjoyed naked Scarlett Johansson.
If I wanted to see her naked. I wouldn't need to sit through an hour and 30 mins movie.

It was quite fun to see her being vulnerable one moment and then kicking everyone ass (not unlike her portrayal of the Black Widow). Plus Morgan Freeman is always a pleasure to watch.

Dr Dogg

thanks guys! appreciate the reply! can't wait for the 970 to arrive so I can play around with DSR and nVidia GameStream

I'm just thinking if the Shield is a better solution to stream Steam games to my TV (than the HP Stream 7 tablet)

Well without trying either I don't really know. Though In Home Stream with work with any Steam game (obviously) and non -Steam games too!. Whereas GameStream in limited to these titles.

http://shield.nvidia.com/pc-game-list/

I also think you can only stream 1280x720 over wifi on GameStream where as I've gone to crazy numbers (with mixed results) on IHS.A decent Intel Bay Trail equipped CPU Windows tablet with 2gb or more ram and a HDMI out would be perfect to stream and hook up to the TV.

Something like a Dell Venue Pro 8 http://www.dell.com/uk/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd

Lenovo ThinkPad 8 http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-8/

Cheaper (but less storage, lower resolution and a few missing features) Lenovo Miix 2 http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/tablets/lenovo/miix-series/lenovo-miix2/

Or an Asus VivoTab Note 8 (not HDMI sadly but does have an active digitizer) http://www.asus.com/uk/Tablets/ASUS_VivoTab_Note_8_M80TA/

Though pricing might be a bit higher than you're expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom