• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

So I've kind of convinced myself to go reinstall the Mass Effect Trilogy and the first two Dragon Age's again and tempted to go grab the remaining bits and bobs of DLC I want but are now easier to grab and manage through Origin (who would have thought it would be helpful) until...

Urgh I completely forgot about this pain in the arse. Right so seeing as I can't purchase an arbitrary amount of Disney Dollars I've got to work out what I want and how much it's going to cost on the BioWare Points scale. So adding up everything I still don't own comes to 9040 BP which as you can see is not feasible unless I want to come up short or have BP 'change' left over (and who knows if they'll ever use them again). Even not buying some of the smaller weapons and guff packs doesn't round the figure off, only way it evens out is if I ignore the two Genesis catch ME comics but I kinda want them.

Then suddenly I realise I'm caught in this trap where I don't quite know what I'm actually spending in real money now with this fake currency. So how much does 9040 BioWare points actually cost (well 9200 as that's the closest I can get it to)? £69! Sixty Nine Great British Pounds! On DLC, some of it not very good. So I've kind of unconvinced myself now.
It's kind of amazing that Biobux are still a thing. Why can't they just make it real god damn money, I can't imagine updating those old games to support it would be difficult.

ViviOggi

onJ9gns.png
vs6GrXR.png

Nzyme32

http://steamcommunity.com/app/232790/discussions/0/624076027542738596/

It seems Act 2 for Broken Age will be out early next year, with a 8-12 hours of gameplay.

I've certainly learnt my lesson from backing broken age. I do adore point and clicks and their previous work, and I do really like Broken Age part one, despite its short length and simplistic nature. But the wait for this second part has been a continual drag. I'm sure the actually game will be nice and I'll forget about how long it took to actually get it. However, I am much more wary of who does these kickstarters or other backing projects.

This and spacebase mean I will definitely not back any more of their projects even though I may buy them when they are done. Other kickstarters and backing experiences have been far and away more superior

Dr Dogg

It's kind of amazing that Biobux are still a thing. Why can't they just make it real god damn money, I can't imagine updating those old games to support it would be difficult.

Well you've got 6 tiers of BP pricing, 1200, 800, 560, 400, 320 and 160 BioWare Points but only 4 packages of currency 1600, 1200, 800 and 400 all priced in quantitative amounts (£12, £9, £6 and £3 a pop) but there's so few combinations that don't leave you with change and the larger priced items, the Story Content DLC is only a handful of items compared to the smaller skins, weapons and such which have over twice as many packs. Saying that even put it to a real currency price doesn't take away that some of it is priced higher than other DLC and even more so when sales have next to never happened. I think I'm going to hold off until DA: I gets some DLC to see if this loopy system is still in place, fingers crossed it's a no.

Yea, that or packaging a complete / DLC collection for those who are holding out. I wouldn't mind buying it even with some duplicates that I already own, just to get rid of the headache. Without some of the DLC (especially the character driven ones), you really can't get a compete experience.

dex3108

I've certainly learnt my lesson from backing broken age. I do adore point and clicks and their previous work, and I do really like Broken Age part one, despite its short length and simplistic nature. But the wait for this second part has been a continual drag. I'm sure the actually game will be nice and I'll forget about how long it took to actually get it. However, I am much more wary of who does these kickstarters or other backing projects.

This and spacebase mean I will definitely not back any more of their projects even though I may buy them when they are done. Other kickstarters and backing experiences have been far and away more superior

If i remember correctly Act 2 was scheduled for April/May this year?

Turfster

Indie Royale Mystery Bundle 2 first added Grimind, then replaced it with Steel & Steam

Gamersgate's daily is Van Helsing II Complete 66% off

Gamesrepublic sale. Note that the discounted LEGO games are mac only non-steam versions.

Making games is difficult.

Maybe just focus on one project first instead of having multiple projects. According to Wiki this is what came out in 2014:

Broken Age
Hack 'n' Slash
Massive Chalice
Costume Quest 2
Spacebase DF-9

And some of these also arent finished. Then they are still working on the Grim Fandango Remake...

AHA-Lambda

Maybe just focus on one project first instead of having multiple projects. According to Wiki this is what came out in 2014:

Broken Age
Hack 'n' Slash
Massive Chalice
Costume Quest 2
Spacebase DF-9

And some of these also arent finished. Then they are still working on the Grim Fandango Remake...

Plus they had another project they never announced that ended up getting cancelled too =/

Like I said a few pages back, a ME trilogy remaster would justify its existence just by having all the dlc in a single package (and allowing us to holster our fucking weapon).

Parsnip

Trust me i know that but breaking promises month after month is laughable. :D

I rather take a broken release date estimation than shipping a broken game.

Broken Age
Hack 'n' Slash
Massive Chalice
Costume Quest 2
Spacebase DF-9

The kickstarter money wouldn't have lasted very long if they had to pay salaries to the entire studio with it.

Sendou

I rather take a broken release date estimation than shipping a broken game.

Exactly. If the game isn't good then the release date doesn't matter. If the second act is excellent (or even as good as the first one which was great) then I'm much more eager to forget when it should have been out.

Chariot

Trust me i know that but breaking promises month after month is laughable. :D
Just imagine Double Fine as an significant Other. For that matter, do that for every company. Ubisoft would straight go into abusive territory. Punches you in the face and breaks promises regularly, but damn does she look fine.

Spyware

So I've kind of unconvinced myself now.
Good! I bet that if you had bought it you would be stuck with the same problem I have that EA knows about but doesn't even mention, that some people can buy BW points but not spend them. Known problem since over a year and no solution in sight.
I didn't enjoy any of the DA2 DLC but ME2's was good (played on console). Would love to get the stuff for ME3 but trying to get EA to give it to me for free and just let my points rot in there have not worked so far.

I'm glad they don't use it for newer titles but they really should change to real money for the old stuff too.

Volimar

Just imagine Double Fine as an significant Other. For that matter, do that for every company. Ubisoft would straight go into abusive territory. Punches you in the face and breaks promises regularly, but damn does she look fine.

Except she's trying to hold onto her youth by wearing the same style of clothes every year.

MUnited83

For you.

Broken Age
Hack 'n' Slash
Massive Chalice
Costume Quest 2
Spacebase DF-9

No, that doesn't really make much sense. Unless if you want Double Fine to go down, of course.

Nzyme32

If i remember correctly Act 2 was scheduled for April/May this year?

From everything they posted, they never made a commitment other than to say it would be in 2014. Would not surprise me to see the date move even further into 2015, but I have so little interest in the game and its production after so much time, that it almost doesn't matter.

Amusingly (or not so) I have realised just now though, that it has been so long that I have actually moved house twice since the Kickstarter began, and I have no obvious way of changing the delivery address for my other yet to be received rewards. Had to shoot them an email

AHA-Lambda

From everything they posted, they never made a commitment other than to say it would be in 2014. Would not surprise me to see the date move even further into 2015, but I have so little interest in the game and its production after so much time, that it almost doesn't matter.

Amusingly (or not so) I have realised just now though, that it has been so long that I have actually moved house twice since the Kickstarter began, and I have no obvious way of changing the delivery address for my other yet to be received rewards. Had to shoot them an email

There's surely no way that ep2 is still scheduled for 2014? o_O

Actually is anything scheduled for release after Game of Thrones?

Making the money dry quicker? Yeah, that really would help.

It just seems with the KS money they got they changed their whole company structure.
I mean we are talking about a simple Point and Click adventure. Daedalic e.g. can release 2-3 full games each year.

The whole Broken Age development is a small desaster. I mean at one point they said even 3,3 million wouldnt be enough, then they made a video "Hey. Look. We got Elijah Wood. But we need money!"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's hilarious see the budget needed for Broken Agen, then you play it and it doesn't feel so different from many other point and click adventures.

It's production values shit on the majority of other adventure games and DF can't pay terrifyingly low wages to their employees like that companies churning these games out in Europe most likely can.

It's production values shit on the majority of other adventure games and DF can't pay terrifyingly low wages to their employees like that companies churning these games out in Europe most likely can.

Actually the Daedalic Games are made in Germany and I would say the wages are the same as the ones in an american company.

If you are comparing with Tim Schafer salary you are probably right, but DF problem is probably management, that company looks seriously bad managed to me lately.

Parsnip

If you are comparing with Tim Schafer salary you are probably right, but DF problem is probably management, that company looks seriously bad managed to me.
I honestly don't think they would have been able to stick around for 14 years if they were badly managed.

Knurek

Actually the Daedalic Games are made in Germany and I would say the wages are the same as the ones in an american company.

I've read rumours Deadalic uses unpaid interns for most of their artwork for the game.
Then they just fire them, hire new ones and do a new game.

Chariot

I knew someone who worked there, it's really bad. Low pay, a lot of hours, bad work environment, he told me. And that's why he quit.

edit: I send this guy a message regarding the artwork thing. I don't have regular contact with him, so I don't know if or when he will be replying. I'll let you know, though.

dex3108

I know that there was April/May mention somewhere :D http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-24-double-fines-broken-age-act-2-now-fully-funded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom