• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

The kickstarter money wouldn't have lasted very long if they had to pay salaries to the entire studio with it.

Making the money dry quicker? Yeah, that really would help.

No wait guys. I love Schafer and DF as much as anybody who grew up playing Lucas p&c games, but let's try to look at these things without the nostalgia shades.

Videogame studios aren't all that different from any other production companies (from the tiny copy shop to the huge movie production company): they plan a project, they seek investors, they resize their project to stay inside the investment boundaries and then they deliver their project more or less at the date they promised to their investors.

If a copy shop delivers your copies 2 days late, you'll be annoyed.
If JJ Abrams will fail to put his Star Wars in theaters in December 2015, the entire known world will collapse into itself.

Now, just think if you ask to your copy shop to justify their delay and they tell you that they had to do copies for other people meanwhile, or they would have gone bankrupt.
Or Abrams saying that Star Wars it's late, but hey, he had to write another shitty season of Lost to finally explain it was the dog's dream all along.

Now instead, if Schafer misses all its deadlines, admitting it was because they failed to upscale their game for the 10 times the money they initially planned, and meanwhile he delivers half-finished games to cash in and survive his failures, we should be supportive and all that.

Yeah well, I'm sorry, but in the real world if a company fucks up, it rightfully suffers consequences, so I don't know why in the videogame industry they shouldn't...

source: i was an entrepreneur, i fucked up, now i have more money in my Steam Wallet than my bank account :D

Ventara

Ugh, why does the IndieGala store have so few games? I want to get in on the This War of Mine deal, but I can't find any games I don't have or am interested in.

Turfster

It's that time again:
GMG has Remember Me 75% off today!
(Also Batman Oranges 75% off, Tomb Raider 75% off, Lost Planet 3 80% off & Alien 50% off)
20% off voucher: B9J1L1-0AZCS9-S0IASV

Parsnip

Reminder:
Average team size: About 12 people. Cost to employ one person per month in SF: about $10k.
Two year dev cycle, about $200k in fixed costs (music, voice, localization, etc.) & $400k backer rewards.
12 peeps x $10k x 24 mo. + $200k + $400k = $3,480,000. Very rough numbers.

Fixed it, sorry, I meant lately, their beginnings were great.

Justin Bailey has been the DF COO since 2012, we have found the culprit.

Chariot

Isn't that like 75% of the game companies out there?
Also, I knew a guy who used to work in the movie industry and apparently it's the same there.
*shrug*
Its just what he told me. He is a programmer, so he maybe worked at non-gaming companies and didn't like it in contrast. But I wouldn't know. Maybe I ask him, when he replies to my other question.

Maniac

Banned
Yeah, pretty much, assuming keys as currency. Valve said this:

But the reality is more along the lines of this:

If you're sent a gift from someone and you add it to your inventory, despite not being the purchaser, the 30-day cooldown applies -- any new gift that is added to any inventory is trading-restricted for 30 days (from the purchase date).
Wasn't there something about the restriction not applying if your account is a trusted account or some such? Or am I misremembering..?

Why do you want an inferior solution? :p

stfu
just
stfu
<3
------------

PS: Does anyone know if the nuuvem Hotline Miami keys are regionlocked or some such? I've no idea how to find out. And I don't speak... That language. Portuguese? Whatever it is they speak. :p

AHA-Lambda

GMG you cheeky bastards, Remember Me is now £1 dearer; bet my order goes through now >_>

EDIT: Hmm, it worked but I had to pay by my credit card via Paypal, wonder what went wrong =/

tioslash

PS: Does anyone know if the nuuvem Hotline Miami keys are regionlocked or some such? I've no idea how to find out. And I don't speak... That language. Portuguese? Whatever it is they speak. :p

Yes, it´s Portuguese. :) I don´t think it has any restrictions, at least it doesn´t say anything about it on the page there.

Copons

So, uh, if they obtained just around what they asked for in their KS (what it was, 400K $?), they would have had enough money to employ 5 people for 6 months and some spare to pay the rent and send out a dozen of backer rewards?

I mean, I'm not able to estimate what something like this would cost in Italy, so of course I cannot talk about San Francisco, but still. Something, somewhere, somehow, is wrong.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wasn't there something about the restriction not applying if your account is a trusted account or some such? Or am I misremembering..?

Any newly-bought gift that is placed in an inventory is trading-locked for 30 days. No ifs, buts or maybes.

MUnited83

For you.
Of course it could. But they asked 400.000$ initially. You can't do a "Hi, guys, we have a project, but we need 400k to do it"

Then
"ok, thanks, we received 3.4 million, great, we would do a bigger project!"

And finally

"Ouch, we need more money, sorry, dunno when Act 2 will be released, but those money are not enough for the full game".

If you own 3.4 million, you release a 3.4 million dollars game. Not a six million one.

That's not really how it works. Firstly, because they don't actually get the full 3.4 million dollars(kickstart/amazon/taxes all take a cut), and need to put money aside for backer rewards. So no, they wouldn't be releasing a 3.4 million game anyways. Secondly, they never asked the backers for more money so that's irrelevant.
And no, just because they "got" 3.4 million means that they should spend only 3.4 million on it. I can guarantee you that many many kickstarters don't get enough money just with the kickstarter and need to put some funding of their own on there as well.

It upsets me that aliens is still pretty new and its already 20 while south park came out early this year and I don't think its ever went below 20, and I doubt it will this sale as well. Fucking ubi.

Its sitting at $24 currently and I could see it getting a daily deal. Pull the trigger brah the game is great

It seems you can't buy VIP deals from GMG using GMG credits. It only forces to buy via credit cards and paypal. Tomb Raider VIP deal is $5.93 while the normal deal is $7.49.

Lomax

Of course it could. But they asked 400.000$ initially. You can't do a "Hi, guys, we have a project, but we need 400k to do it"

Then
"ok, thanks, we received 3.4 million, great, we would do a bigger project!"

And finally

"Ouch, we need more money, sorry, dunno when Act 2 will be released, but those money are not enough for the full game".

If you own 3.4 million, you release a 3.4 million dollars game. Not a six million one.

The somewhat shady part was asking for 400k initially knowing that wasn't enough to really make anything. But unlike all the projects that followed, DFA was all about being experimental, making the movie, and seeing what they can do. So in that respect, that's exactly what they've done, and they've been far more transparent than almost any other Kickstarter since. DFA wouldn't even be in the top 20 of financially unrealistic or mismanaged Kickstarter game projects.

It seems you can't buy VIP deals from GMG using GMG credits. It only forces to buy via credit cards and paypal. Tomb Raider VIP deal is $5.93 while the normal deal is $7.49.

If that's the case now, it pretty much defeats the entire purpose of the VIP section.

Edit: I just checked using my account and was able to add Arkham oranges for $3.99 to my cart and apply full credit to it, but I didn't actually buy it.

It upsets me that aliens is still pretty new and its already 20 while south park came out early this year and I don't think its ever went below 20, and I doubt it will this sale as well. Fucking ubi.

That's not how it works. Games don't go down in price just because they're X months old.

baterism

Out of whim, I played Narcissu which I originally installed to
increase game number in library. Shut up.

Wow, that was
sad.
I kinda know what to expect, but still.

komorebi

It's that time again:
GMG has Remember Me 75% off today!
(Also Batman Oranges 75% off, Tomb Raider 75% off, Lost Planet 3 80% off & Alien 50% off)
20% off voucher: B9J1L1-0AZCS9-S0IASV

PAYPAL-XGMG25-OFFBFF works for Alien (at least), bringing it to $18.75.

Still trying to decide if I should get it...

Ventara

Guys, I'm thinking of getting that South Park game (with that Lara Croft deal) since I've heard it's good, but I've never seen South Park. Will I still enjoy it, or do I need to be a fan of the show?

Kinda off-topic, but are any of you hesitating on buying games due to your huge backlog? There are a bunch I'm interested in buying, but I keep stopping myself when I think of all the games I have in my library. I'm so conflicted.

Kinda off-topic, but are any of you hesitating on buying games due to your huge backlog? There are a bunch I'm interested in buying, but I keep stopping myself when I think of all the games I have in my library. I'm so conflicted.
Yes, but mostly because I'm also out of moneys :(

komorebi

Nah. I like to let the backlog grow so I can surprise myself in a few months time with something I forgot I had.

That's not how it works. Games don't go down in price just because they're X months old.
I know, doesn't stop me from being a bit upset tho.
Oooh I can't click the link but that's awesome. When does the deal end + I don't need uplay for it, right?
I don't buy games if I don't plan on playing them within a month tops. I have a huge backlog(of games that I actually want to play, not the random ones I got from bundles) as it is. Only time I make an exception is for pricing errors.

ViviOggi

The good thing about Alien not being super cheap like many other recent games is that it suggests it might have sold reasonably well

I may or may not have obtained my copy from the Newegg fiesta

autoduelist

Anyone know if Steam has anything for very little kids? We're not looking for anything serious, and we're only talking 5 minutes here or there of whapping on the keyboard and making cows moo or whatever. No actual reading or mouse/keyboard control... just something very basic. Hrm. the more i think about this, the more I think there's probably a browser game somewhere that does this, but I'll leave the question here just in case.

L.O.R.D

so i decide to see what inside the geometry wars 3 folder in steam version
E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Geometry Wars 3 - Dimensions\Windows

and found only 1 file
gw.wad
almost the same size of the game , 224 mb

.wad file ? isn't that for wii games ?

so i decide to see what inside the geometry wars 3 folder in steam version
E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Geometry Wars 3 - Dimensions\Windows

and found only 1 file
gw.wad
almost the same size of the game , 224 mb

.wad file ? isn't that for wii games ?

secret Doom maps

Nzyme32

I bought Wolfenstein via the VIP section and using GMG credit. Vouchers do not work via VIP though

RS4-

As much as I want to get Geo Wars 3, I still have to get Resogun lol. And then figure out if I want GW3 on ps4 or PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom