• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

c031fa958a6ddc6c1d4421378aa21769_large.gif

Seems like a neat project! Funny thing with Kickstarter is that just yesterday I thought about backing a few projects but then I realized that I have backed three projects and regret all of them so I have no more of these thoughts. Still I'm excited to see how this game turns out. Mojo Bones' last game on 3DS was well regarded (Siesta Fiesta).

looks cool

Miguel81

The slow speed is actually a bug on the battle speed options.

FF9 would do well with a steam release

I didn't know about that particular bug, but it's a damn shame. That's the one that has aged the best out of the PSOne trilogy aesthetically, and it would be great to have it on Steam.

dex3108

Migration of my System partition to SSD went smoothly with Samsung Data Migration software. Only issue that i had was that Windows deactivated it self but quick call to MS Support fixed it. I must say MS support is fast and friendly :D

Now i have another question. Should i move my Steam Installation to SSD and keep Game folders on HDD, or i should leave Steam on HDD?

Tenrius

I lived in Ukraine for a few years in my childhood and I still have so many random bootleg games that my dad bought me off random tents on street corners.

There was a whole outdoor market and there was always this one table where the dude only sold flight sims with black and white photocopied paper covers and then random cuts of cow head. No joke. It was just a table filled with cd cases of f-22 raptor and then above it was a bunch of cow heads on hooks leaking.

Haha, that sounds well in line with my experiences back then. Well, I never actually a butcher who would also be a flight sim fan, but a lot of these places were just outdoor wooden stands, without even a tent or anything and all kinds of people sold these games, sometimes they were kind of creepy. There was a whole alley of those bootleg vendors in Voronezh, in a nice area with a lot of electronics shops around. It sort of exists to this day, but in a somewhat shrinked condition and they also seem to be selling (probably legit) DVDs instead of video games (I haven't been there myself for a while, but you can see it on Yandex Streetview here: http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CVvjuY~N).

Dr Dogg

Ah nuts I've just realised I missed my Steam Birthday by 6 days (and the Enhanced Steam balloons and streamers that go with it). Oh well belated Happy B'day Steam Account. They grow up so fast these days.

Saw this too, and I think it looks pretty great. Hoping they come out relatively soon.

Being Lian Li they will probably cost a small fortune too.

iosefe

Ah nuts I've just realised I missed my Steam Birthday by 6 days (and the Enhanced Steam balloons and streamers that go with it). Oh well belated Happy B'day Steam Account. They grow up so fast these days.

i would assume the dates on the years of service is accurate, if so, mine is next wednesday

Tenrius

Seems like a neat project! Funny thing with Kickstarter is that just yesterday I thought about backing a few projects but then I realized that I have backed three projects and regret all of them so I have no more of these thoughts. Still I'm excited to see how this game turns out. Mojo Bones' last game on 3DS was well regarded (Siesta Fiesta).

Backed, for better or worse.

Dascu

Holy shit they got Mitch Murder on the soundtrack??

Great setting too. I love this:
dcc29dd02b004c388fd8ba0f9577b17c_large.png

Dr Dogg

i would assume the dates on the years of service is accurate, if so, mine is next wednesday

It's from the time of your Steam accounts creation as my first purchase was 3 days later but yeah they're pretty accurate. Actually my old, old account (with just Half-Life and Half-Life 2 on it) I've long since forgot what email address it's tied too is probably getting on in years now as well.

Edit: In fact it's super accurate.

iosefe

It's from the time of your Steam accounts creation as my first purchase was 3 days later but yeah they're pretty accurate. Actually my old, old account (with just Half-Life and Half-Life 2 on it) I've long since forgot what email address it's tied too is probably getting on in years now as well.

Edit: In fact it's super accurate.

not sure if i'm more impressed on the accuracy or that fact that you still have that email

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wil never understand what goes through developers minds during this type of situations.

Same here.

If I had to guess, I think they're worried about tossing a lot of Steam keys for their game "out into the wild". So for example they think "Well, if I give all these bundle buyers a Steam key, they could gift it to their friends that don't already have access to the game (on places like Desura) and that means I'll lose sales."

But that line of thinking never seems to do any of these companies any favors.

So this came across my desk, figuratively speaking. Should be handy for those that want to keep track of the different regional prices using Enhanced Steam.

QuNkXps.png

Just noticed on the last update the price history section has switched to display dollars whereas before it was showing local currency (£). Is there any way to change it back? Tried having a look around the options but couldn't see anything.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just noticed on the last update the price history section has switched to display dollars whereas before it was showing local currency (£). Is there any way to change it back? Tried having a look around the options but couldn't see anything.

Are you using Chrome or Firefox? I've had several people report the bug but I've not been able to replicate it myself yet.

Are you using Chrome or Firefox? I've had several people report the bug but I've not been able to replicate it myself yet.

Checked it out on both, noticed it happened with Firefox the other day but loaded up Chrome just before I posted it and it was still showing the history in GBP, updated to 6.9 and its switched to USD.

Tried rolling back to the version on the Firefox Add-on page just out to make sure but that ain't working.

jshackles

Checked it out on both, noticed it happened with Firefox the other day but loaded up Chrome just before I posted it and it was still showing the history in GBP, updated to 6.9 and its switched to USD.

Tried rolling back to the version on the Firefox Add-on page just out to make sure but that ain't working.

Can you try manually installing version 6.8 from this link and see if it goes back to working?

Also, is it showing the wrong currency on the price history or the regional price comparison? Or both?

Dolor

Same here.

If I had to guess, I think they're worried about tossing a lot of Steam keys for their game "out into the wild". So for example they think "Well, if I give all these bundle buyers a Steam key, they could gift it to their friends that don't already have access to the game (on places like Desura) and that means I'll lose sales."

But that line of thinking never seems to do any of these companies any favors.

Chances are, if your game ends up in a Groupees bundle, you need all the attention you can get even if it does come from some free copies going away.
Not that the games are necessarily bad, but bundles are usually an indication of lack of demand for the game to begin with.

Indie development is getting ruthless because so many people want to do it and will do it for next to no expected return (e.g. modders).

chronomac

I'm thinking about getting a couple of the Assassin's Creed games. I want to start at the beginning but I haven't heard the best things about the original game. Is that something I should skip or just trudge through it anyway?

Also, how well do these games run on modern machines? I know they require uPlay, but I can get over that.

jshackles

Yep, working fine on 6.8. Regional price comparison was fine, was just the price history

Alright thanks. I think I have the issue figured out so hopefully I can get it updated in the next version to work properly again. Sorry for the trouble. :(

madjoki

His reason:
Posted to greenlight, Mar 22
Be Mine 11, Feb 6 — Feb 20

Pay $9.99 on Desura will also have a free steam key. o_O

Yet he specifically has asked those who bought BM11 to vote for it. (by pm and it's email notification from Desura)
I'd say that renders his point invalid.

If you added the game to your Desura Account though shouldn't a key show up there?

Nope, developers have option to limit who can get keys. Be Mine bundle keys have their own group, so they can limit those out of steam keys.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm thinking about getting a couple of the Assassin's Creed games. I want to start at the beginning but I haven't heard the best things about the original game. Is that something I should skip or just trudge through it anyway?

Also, how well do these games run on modern machines? I know they require uPlay, but I can get over that.

The games run just fine on modern systems, and the original is Uplay-free, for what it's worth.

Phawx

Yet he specifically has asked those who bought BM11 to vote for it. (by pm and it's email notification from Desura)

Nope, developers have option to limit who can get keys. Be Mine bundle keys have their own group, so they can limit those out of steam keys.

And they have. Desura shows only the groupees key

Ooh, 5 years on Steam for me on Tuesday, plus birthday tomorrow, looks like I'll be getting myself something special for the occasion, might as well.

jshackles

Can confirm

They definitely used their Groupees Be Mine "clout" to illicit greenlight votes. Although nowhere have they specifically said that Groupees buyers will get Steam keys, it's still pretty scummy.

Miguel81

The original has my favorite location(s) in the series, mystery, and it feels like a proper Assassin game. The problem is that it is also the most repetitive, so it depends on your tolerance for this.

Other than that, what JaseC said.

You should start from the beginning to see how the games evolved over time.

The earlier games run better on PCs than the new ones. Assassin's Creed 2 was the best in my experience. Full surround/3D support, the works. Was downhill from there.

But yeah, they're great. Only catch is the formula which you'll be playing for 60 hours or so if you blow through the games doesn't change too much. But the characters and stories are interesting, and the settings are cool.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I still hold some hope that Unity will displace the original as my favourite AssCreed game.

Jawmuncher

No, it will only give you a key if you bought it directly from Desura.

Yeah that's pretty dirty then.

Knurek

The earlier games run better on PCs than the new ones. Assassin's Creed 2 was the best in my experience. Full surround/3D support, the works. Was downhill from there.

OTOH, completely broken LOD system, wonky X360 pad support.
Seems each and every entry has a plethora of technical problems on PC. Ubi being Ubi, I guess.

jshackles

Nothing be sorry about, just one of those things. Hopefully isn't too much hassle to get fixed!

I'm pretty sure I found the issue and it should be working right again in the next version. I say should because I've still not been able to reproduce the error, but I reverted one of the changes I made in the last update that should put the code for that function right back where it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom