• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Please add me (steam id: rallykupo) if you are playing, so that I have some people to compare to on the leaderboards! Sadly it looks like there must be some kind of hack/glitch that has already ruined the overall leaderboards.
Speaking of, the last game I tried to get some decent scores in (Iron Fisticle), some douche-hat hacked it and added himself to spot #1 with an impossible score. Every day for like a week, the devs would remove him and every day, he'd add himself back. Why would anyone spend their time doing this? In a completely irrelevant little indie shooter with a couple of hundred people on the leaderboard, no less.

WHY

Speaking of, the last game I tried to get some decent scores in (Iron Fisticle), some douche-hat hacked it and added himself to spot #1 with an impossible score. Every day for like a week, the devs would remove him and every day, he'd add himself back. Why would anyone spend their time doing this? In a completely irrelevant little indie shooter with a couple of hundred people on the leaderboard, no less.

WHY

12 year old guy maybe.

Anybody want any of the following vouchers?

66% off Dieselstormers
90% off The Book of Unwritten Tales (x2)
25% off Heavy Bullets
90% off Electronic Super Joy: Groove City

Just let me know.

Any body got a BroForce coupon?

There were some that popped up some time back.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
12 year old guy maybe.

CN8lE54.jpg

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

WHY

Probably just cause
"Man I can HACK this game, I'm so cool. Haha, "the man" can't stop me even if they try! I'll just hack the game again cause I'm such a super-awesome hacker!"

Zafir

If they did go back to FFIX style gameplay, I'd hope they speed it up a bit. It was always so slooow. Mind you, I think the random encounter rate was part of the problem. So maybe without random battles it wouldn't be too bad anyway.

rtcn63

You can compare the first half of FFXIII to Forza Motorsport, instead. You begin the race, you drive in a corridor, and you win finishing the corridor.

I'm referring more to the disconnect between player and in-game character. Or something. Even though the controls are responsive, it doesn't actually feel like you're doing anything when you hit the buttons. Anything fun or purposed, at least.

hmm chance to upgrade my 100Mb connection to 350 and keep the same price or drop the 100 price to 10 euros a month. Decisions, decisions. Nevermind, the 100mbps is free for 6 months. Gimme.

Sendou

Environmental Station Alpha on Greenlight looks pretty cool. Came across it when Olli Harjola (The Swapper) gave it a shout-out on Twitter.

Environmental Station Alpha is an action adventure platformer with a retro aesthetic and heavy emphasis on exploration. In the game the player controls a robot sent to investigate a mysterious, abandoned space station with the mission to find out what exactly took place there. Over the course of the game the player will uncover secrets, fight bosses and amass powerups while exploring areas on the huge station.

The game's website: http://www.hempuli.com/esa/

Features:
  • Over 15 bosses
  • Over 10 powerups
  • Several distinct areas with their own themes, musics and enemies
  • Simple yet challenging gameplay
  • An amazing soundtrack
  • Secrets...!

637x358.resizedimage
637x358.resizedimage

Check the trailer for some pretty cool music. I have to say I have grown quite fond of that sort of "minimalistic" pixel art style.

Celegus

WHY

It's really annoying. Defense Grid is one of the few score games I've actually tried to compete on leaderboards with, but when the top 100 are all impossible scores in the millions, there's not much of a point.

Uzzy

It's a better game than Dragon Age 2, and that one got 94/100 in PC gamer.
You should really expect a string of 10/10 reviews once the game hits PC centric websites.
Actually, they can pretty much just reuse the DA2 review tagline:
"Final Fantasy XIII

The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming’s best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better."

That review never fails to make me laugh.

Vlad

Wow, so 12 years after it was originally released, the criminally-overlooked Moonbase Commander just had cards released for it.

I only mention this because if anybody else out there has the game <listens for crickets>, I'd really love to get a match or two going.

Tenrius

In case it's not obvious, the average income in Russia is way lower than in other industry nations.
That and because Valve wants to tackle the high piracy rates there.

It's actually a bit deeper than that.

There were no proper video games in the Soviet Union (officially). When that monster thankfully fell in the early '90s, things started to change.

Historically, retail PC games were mostly localized and published in Russia by major local distributors like 1C, Buka and Akella who would buy the license from the actual publisher and handle the whole process (translation, testing, disc printing, distribution, etc) from that point onward. Those editions would feature very distinct, distributor-branded packaging and (almost always) a Russian-only version of the game (this is what the 1C-published edition of Mafia looked like, for example: http://ifolderlinks.ru/files/au40396/Mafia.jpeg, and this is Akella's Gothic II: http://psipsi.ru/images/Games/11/post_539.jpg).

In the very beginning, they sold those games in boxes for full (European) retail prices. However, by the start of the '00s the robust bootleg CD market became almost impossible to compete with in those conditions: every major city had dozens of places where you could buy any PC game for less than $10. Those games usually featured very poor machine translations, as well as bugs introduced by the lack of testing, but it was just that much cheaper. That's why the official distributors eventually had to settle down to lower their own prices to a similar range (it fluctuated over the years but never went over $10 from what I remember, taking exchange rates' fluctuations into the account), completely switching over to jewel cases in the process. The economy was booming during the following years and all the publishers were doing extremely well (apparently, their licence deals were cheap enough to still get significant profits from selling games at those low prices), heavily investing into local gaming industry. This was the time when dozens of horrible games that never saw a Western release were made, and then there was also a considerable number of actually interesting and innovative games (you might remember Nival Interactive who developed such games as Evil Island, Etherlords, Silent Storm, Blitzkrieg, HoMM V and more or some other releases like Space Rangers, the ever-elusive Sea Dogs game and its plethora of sequels with different names, the Space Rangers series, the Men of War series and more, most of these games are still on Steam). Then the financial crisis of 2007-2008 happened and most of that basically ended: the publishers lost a lot of money and a lot of developers went on to make cheap social/mobile games which fierst became viable at that point and gave them much higher return of their investments. The prices slowly went up (also being influenced by inflation and currency exchange rates) and stayed slightly below the current Steam price level, and the bootleg scene completely went out of business with the advent of high speed Internet access everywhere (ISPs in Russia typically offered their own torrent trackers with unlimited bandwith for their clients, back when bandwith limits still weren't almost nonexistent like they are today).

Then Steam became relevant. It had the same prices as the US until Fall 2011, when the switch to regional prices occurred and everyone in this thread knows the rest of the story. It's not that the people can't pay full retail prices for PC in Russia: they can and indeed do it (Steam was doing well here even before the RUR switch occurred and you much also know that the console games are typically more expensive here than the US or even Europe), but they just have a very good historical reason not to: they've been paying much less for those games for over a decade.

And this, kids, is why you can get cheap Steam games from people with names like Igor and Sergey living a cold and depressing place named Russia.

EDIT: Haha, the first post on the page (50 ppp people unite).

here is a completely shitty webm that i made

on the plus side it's only 8mb for 2m of video with sound
on the other hand quality a shit

i really wish there was a proper webm tutorial that explains how to balance file size with quality

Miguel81

Damn, Alien: Isolation made me audibly gasp 3 times in one level. Great fucking sound design and tension building.

Do you have the Full Dynamic Range ticked? It doesn't matter if it was speakers or headphones, it's like I was in the freakin' Alien film. CA nailed the presentation.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Do you have the Full Dynamic Range ticked? It doesn't matter if it was speakers or headphones, it's like I was in the freakin' Alien film. CA nailed the presentation.

Yeah, I'm on full dynamic range with a set of Bose speakers. Setting off the emergency protocol thingie in mission 6 was audio heaven.

Phinor

Fuck yeah Finland

Internet connections are dirt cheap in Finland, in urban regions anyway. That's just about the only cheap thing we have. I've had this 100/10Mbit connection for couple of years now, at 20.22 euros a month. Not shared bandwidth with others or any crap like that and decent latency at less than 10ms within Finland.

I guess the other cheap-ish thing we have is mobile phone plans. My mobile phone plan includes unlimited (although speed restricted) data and has a total cost of 2 euros a month no matter how much data I move (+obviously calling/texts have separate costs because otherwise 2 euros a month would be ridiculous but as I don't call that often, suits me fine).

Dolor

Well this is some semi Steam related new for those thinking about building a Steam Machine.

Lian Li have a new set of slim enclosure coming out (PC 04 05 & 06) which are either M-ITX, M-ATX & ATX respectively. The real neat thing about them, unlike their other slim enclosure, the PC-Q series, these are wall mountable, are open on both sides for air flow and have a full window. Also they have a reverse PCIe riser card in them so you're not looking at the back of the PCB of your GPU. The only time I've seen one that wasn't a twisted cable was on the Valve Steam Machines. So for the nerdy amongst us could be a nice show piece that takes up next to no space.

Saw this too, and I think it looks pretty great. Hoping they come out relatively soon.

iosefe

If they did go back to FFIX style gameplay, I'd hope they speed it up a bit. It was always so slooow. Mind you, I think the random encounter rate was part of the problem. So maybe without random battles it wouldn't be too bad anyway.

Yup, the battle speed put me off of the game. I'd like a Steam version with a speed boost so that I can play through it proper.
The slow speed is actually a bug on the battle speed options.

FF9 would do well with a steam release

It's actually a bit deeper than that.

I lived in Ukraine for a few years in my childhood and I still have so many random bootleg games that my dad bought me off random tents on street corners.

There was a whole outdoor market and there was always this one table where the dude only sold flight sims with black and white photocopied paper covers and then random cuts of cow head. No joke. It was just a table filled with cd cases of f-22 raptor and then above it was a bunch of cow heads on hooks leaking.

madjoki

Internet connections are dirt cheap in Finland, in urban regions anyway. That's just about the only cheap thing we have. I've had this 100/10Mbit connection for couple of years now, at 20.22 euros a month. Not shared bandwidth with others or any crap like that and decent latency at less than 10ms within Finland.

But still very expensive in places without fiber, 30€ for 10/1 ADSL. :(

Sendou

Impact Winter is a post-apocalyptic survival RPG that deals with the themes of leadership, teamwork, isolation and survival. You play the role of Jacob Solomon: leader of a group of survivors holed-up in a remote church.

c031fa958a6ddc6c1d4421378aa21769_large.gif

Seems like a neat project! Funny thing with Kickstarter is that just yesterday I thought about backing a few projects but then I realized that I have backed three projects and regret all of them so I have no more of these thoughts. Still I'm excited to see how this game turns out. Mojo Bones' last game on 3DS was well regarded (Siesta Fiesta).

DukeBobby

I'm starting to get desperate for Hotline Miami 2. I'm listening to the soundtrack nearly every day.

Gah, I need a release date.

Sonera Valokuitu? My household has a free Sonera 2mbit which now turns to free 10mbit DNA one, but I couldn't upgrade after all because I am stuck with the Sonera one for 11 more months :(

Knurek

and then there was also a considerable number of actually interesting and innovative games (you might remember Nival Interactive who developed such games as Evil Island, Etherlords, Silent Storm, Blitzkrieg, HoMM V and more or some other releases like Space Rangers, the ever-elusive Sea Dogs game and its plethora of sequels with different names, the Space Rangers series, the Men of War series and more, most of these games are still on Steam).

This is really true.
I mean, Polish game companies seem to be the current indie darlings (and for a very good reason, considering standard production budget here), but Russian original output is massive and usually at the very least interesting (or, as often the case, interestingly broken).

It's like watching an animal family that was a result of a separate branch of evolution (hello Australia).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom