• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OTOH, completely broken LOD system, wonky X360 pad support.
Seems each and every entry has a plethora of technical problems on PC. Ubi being Ubi, I guess.

Not sure what LOD system means, but in my experience the x360 pad always worked fine across all the games except for the original.

The only thing that really disappointed me was when they dropped 3D support for nvidia surround. I was probably 1 of only like 4 people that used it, but it was pretty cool.

chronomac

The games run just fine on modern systems, and the original is Uplay-free, for what it's worth.

The original has my favorite location(s) in the series, mystery, and it feels like a proper Assassin game. The problem is that it is also the most repetitive, so it depends on your tolerance for this.

Other than that, what JaseC said.

You should start from the beginning to see how the games evolved over time.

The earlier games run better on PCs than the new ones. Assassin's Creed 2 was the best in my experience. Full surround/3D support, the works. Was downhill from there.

But yeah, they're great. Only catch is the formula which you'll be playing for 60 hours or so if you blow through the games doesn't change too much. But the characters and stories are interesting, and the settings are cool.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm just going to try the original and see how it goes. I feel like these games go on sale every now and then and if I like the original a lot I'll grab II and Brotherhood eventually.

Anteater

Alien Isolation's atmosphere is so good and pretty but terrifying, on one hand I want to have a run in with the alien so I can take pictures, but man

unsure-larry-davids5ubr.gif

Jawmuncher

Alien Isolation's atmosphere is so good and pretty but terrifying, on one hand I want to have a run in with the alien so I can take pictures, but man

http://abload.de/img/unsure-larry-davids5ubr.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

If you play on Hard you'll have more than your fill.

Dr Dogg

The earlier games run better on PCs than the new ones. Assassin's Creed 2 was the best in my experience. Full surround/3D support, the works. Was downhill from there.

Hmmmm. Well every AC game has had it's quirks I'll give you that but all of them have been stuck with 16:9 aspect ratio presentations which would leave them bordered on a 16:10 screen and multi monitor support out the window. Except one that is...

Brotherhood would take any resolution you throw at it. Revelations actually has the best 3D support out the lot as it has convergence taken into account within the engine which still leaves ghosting on every other title. Of course the earlier games are easier to play around with using external tools due to being DX9.

Knurek

Not sure what LOD system means, but in my experience the x360 pad always worked fine across all the games except for the original.

Level of Details, there was an unfixed bug in the PC version which resulted in low-quality textures being loaded just about 1 meter from the player.

Arthea

Can confirm

They definitely used their Groupees Be Mine "clout" to illicit greenlight votes. Although nowhere have they specifically said that Groupees buyers will get Steam keys, it's still pretty scummy.

Yeah, I think it never works for games and sales. Maybe not everybody is so stubbornly vindictive as me, but many are. For example I still haven't bought the white sofa game even being interested in it, and it's not about price too. I bought a bundle for this game, and I don't care about circumstances, I feel I paid for a game already, and I won't be coaxed into paying for it one more time, nope.

Actually indie dev scene is similar to freelancing in some ways. If you screwed one time too many, doesn't matter how good your work is, you not gonna get good clients come to you, and you are left with no other options than finding "proper" job (><)
And knowing how hard is to be noticed in both of those fields, you carefully build your "fanbase" and you don't do stupid things ever, or else... you pay for it.

Turfster

Every time I had a runin with the alien playing the Nostromo DLC, I was too panicky and afraid to get good screenshots.
Also, can't screenshot while leaning, sadly.

Gamersgate is doing a Tomb Raider sale, 75% off on the whole franchise.
(Didn't check all of them, but they seem to be Steam keys, even the older ones)

fallout

I'm thinking about getting a couple of the Assassin's Creed games. I want to start at the beginning but I haven't heard the best things about the original game. Is that something I should skip or just trudge through it anyway?
I've only played the first one, but I can say that after about 10-ish hours, I was ready for it to be done. Your mileage will vary of course, but I had a lot of fun with it up until that point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Wired X360 controller support is fine, but Ubi didn't support the wireless controller until Brotherhood -- both AssCreed and AssCreed 2 require this fix for the controller to function properly (minus rumble).

foamdino

I have some things lying around from humble bundles first up Fez - this is a humblebundle gift link so not a traditional Steam key

quote to see

Arthea

This shit really needs to end already.
Also, isn't it like facebook and twitter, which is just "fuck you companies"

when the world will end and all who are on facebook and twitter will be resurrected as zombies or skellies to fight in Ragnarok, only we two will rest in peace. Feels good to know that, no?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seems each and every entry has a plethora of technical problems on PC. Ubi being Ubi, I guess.

I think that mainly because of their lack of proper Steam support, additional DRM on top of Steam, and lack of proper sales, I've almost completely written off both EA and Ubisoft on the PC.

I picked up a physical copy of Watch_Dogs on the PS4 for $18. That's more than half off the cheapest price it's ever been on the PC (even for a Uplay key) and I find that to be a completely unacceptable situation. Assassin's Creed IV is pretty much in the same camp with it's 33% off sale.

As for EA, I've completely written them off to the point that I forget they even release games on the PC anymore. In my head, things like Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Dead Space 3 I think of as console exclusives.

foamdino

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (foamdino, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Swapper -- MB-288F2E9AAB78C28E - Taken by nja

(This was originally a humblebundle gift link - no idea if it has been munged by ModBot, sorry if this doesn't work)

Knurek

I think that mainly because of their lack of proper Steam support, additional DRM on top of Steam, and lack of proper sales, I've almost completely written off both EA and Ubisoft on the PC.

Ubi is a great developer for semi-Indie titles (Children of Light, Valiant Heroes, Blood Dragon)
Ubi is also a great publisher for 3rd party developers (CoJ: Gunslinger, South Park).
I will give you that Ubi is terribad for their 1st party effort though.

So, Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition is out, anyone downloading it already to see what's different?

I'll get to that once I finish downlaoding Isolation. Initial impressions from people are saying it's not that much better, but it's my game of 2013 and I got it for $8 so I'll probably love it regardless of the graphical fidelity.

AsfaeksBR

Just played 90 minutes of Styx and only beaten the first mission.
Extremely fun game! Too bad it will slip under people radar because it's out between Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation, The Evil Within and Binding of Issac Rebirth.

MayMay

Banned
Extremely fun game! Too bad it will slip under people radar because it's out between Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation, The Evil Within and Binding of Issac Rebirth.

I thought about buying it today - is it a proper stealth game? I havent really seen any gameplay or read any reviews.. so I'm not sure if I'd like it.

Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for PLASTICA-MAN:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PLASTICA-MAN, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crash Time 2 -- MB-3AE6448B755C4E82 - Taken by Saty. 2 entrants total.

t1412787580z1.png

Jawmuncher

I really don't get how people are getting so scared from Alien.
For comparison P.T. scared the hell out of me.
I really think it's just from all the Alien through out the years that I just can't see them as scary. Even if Alien is my favorite film in the franchise.

Because of reasons I was looking for Tera on Steam and I can't find it anymore. Was it removed?

Removed last year.

Tizoc

I thought about buying it today - is it a proper stealth game? I havent really seen any gameplay or read any reviews.. so I'm not sure if I'd like it.

It's more of a stealth game than Ass Creed ever hopes to be.

Heck on its hardest difficulty, you get killed in 1 hit. Stealth is the name of the game.

Wired X360 controller support is fine, but Ubi didn't support the wireless controller until Brotherhood -- both AssCreed and AssCreed 2 require this fix for the controller to function properly (minus rumble).

Ahhh, perhaps that's why. I was wired during my runs through those games.

Interesting detail on the resolutions too. Guess I was running 5760x1080 with some stretching or black boxes, but I don't remember either. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked lol. Getting old.

Lomax

It's been sitting in the top 10 since release, so it seems to be getting a good amount of attention and seems to have pretty positive buzz, so I don't think its being completely overlooked. Plus it's at a good price point to grab people who won't drop $50 on the bigger releases.

Copons

So, derExperte, Kiru and any other Max Payne's ass kissers smartypants.

First game was terribad, but MP2 is amazing! I'm having such good times playing it!
Great gunplay and a bullet time finally done right (in MP1 it was annoying as hell).

1 new item in your inventory!

Oh great, what coupon now?

The Journey Down Chapter One Booster Pack? *checks price vs individual cards* Hmm, more value if I open it. Lo and behold, it's got the cards I need for a badge!

So I guess I'm savin' that guy for a sale where badges count, huh?

Miguel81

First game was terribad, but MP2 is amazing! I'm having such good times playing it!
Great gunplay and a bullet time finally done right (in MP1 it was annoying as hell).

Agree. Part 1 has aged poorly.

AsfaeksBR

Yes, it is. And it's a hard one too, because the levels are wide open and there are a lot of ways to get to the objective and a lot of enemies to get past from.
It's really cheap right now, there's no way to go wrong with it!

Alavard

Ubi is a great developer for semi-Indie titles (Children of Light, Valiant Heroes, Blood Dragon)
Ubi is also a great publisher for 3rd party developers (CoJ: Gunslinger, South Park).
I will give you that Ubi is terribad for their 1st party effort though.

For me, these days I just tend to wait for a while on Ubisoft's big titles, and usually end up having a better experience. I waited a good 6-8 months on Farcry 3, Blood Dragon, and ACIV, and the games were significantly cheaper and had much better performance and optimization than they'd had at release. Still have to wade through the uPlay, of course.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

After you're done playing the ROW version, you should play the German version. And then the Italian version. And then the Russian version.

Dr Dogg

Interesting detail on the resolutions too. Guess I was running 5760x1080 with some stretching or black boxes, but I don't remember either. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked lol. Getting old.

Gameplay for the most part works but some cutscenes and in engine events that segue into gameplay locked the image down to 16:9. Brotherhood on the other hand didn't on 21:9 at all for me for the 3 or 4 hours I played like that. Though come Revelations and the shift to Anvil Next that all went out the window again. I'm curious to see what quirks Unity is going to have.

Somewhat relateable Max Payne 3 is a really funny one as it supports muliple monitors perfectly with cutscenes playing just on the centre monitor but if you use a 21:9 resolution on only one monitor all cutscenes in engine or prerendered get pillarboxed to the centre third of the screen. Looks really stupid.

Turfster

Daily Carmageddon Reincarnation 40% off, franchise also discounted

Indie Royale Debut 19
Price: 1.75€, keeps increasing...
  • BIONITE: Origins
  • CAFE 0 The Drowned Mermaid
  • Towers of Altrac
  • Castle
  • Hard Lander
  • Barter Empire
  • Realm of Perpetual Guilds
  • ?