• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It can't possible take more time than the 8 hours its going to take to download the whole thing on my connection,
can it?

It also depends on (I believe) how capable your CPU is, as decrypting data is a CPU intensive process. I have an AMD FX-8350 8-core CPU and it took me about an hour to decrypt Dead Rising 3 when it was released.

Zafir

Well, if the Asian version is still 29gigs, I guess that pretty much confirms dual audio and since all the videos with speech had lipsync, they'd need to have two of each for those as well, right?

Games got big.

Not necessarily. The image only shows the size stated by the developer and not the actual size. They could have updated the description to the new size on the english ver but not the asian one.

Faabulous

It also depends on (I believe) how capable your CPU is, as decrypting data is a CPU intensive process. I have an AMD FX-8350 8-core CPU and it took me about an hour to decrypt Dead Rising 3 when it was released.

I run an aging 2500k. 1 hour is fine, it's still less then the download so its ok. More then 4 and that would be excessive.

Parsnip

Not necessarily. The image only shows the size stated by the developer and not the actual size. They could have updated the description to the new size on the english ver but not the asian one.

The info comes from the OT. People with Asian version have 29gigs pre-load while the rest have 49 gigs.

Dual Audio? Hmmmm might have some legal and rights issues. Cutscenes with hard coded subtitles in different languages? Please Squenix no!

What makes you think hardcoded subs, don't be a crazy dogg.

I think it's just two video files for English and Japanese audio for lipsyncing purposes. And subs for everything else.

Miguel81

My hermano. Not really, but Piledriver owners are a minority in this place. Hope it's performing well with SoM!

Pakoe

How does one post something so lurkers can't see, only registered people could see it by quoting or something..

Zafir

The info comes from the OT. People with asian version have 29gigs of pre-load while the rest have 49 gigs.

No, I've seen the screenshot. The screenshot is of the preload screen where you select download location. That isn't the actual size of the files, that's a size supplied by the developers to tell you how much space it will be when installed. Which is often incorrect. Which means it may not have been updated to the new use.

That is, unless someone has posted an image of it actually only downloading 30GB on the download tab of steam.

Edit: Seems he's updated saying it is actually only downloading 30GB. Weird really. I can't imagine we'd get dual audio and asia wouldn't.

GaussTek

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Steam warn you about you requiring >100GB free on your Hard Drive for the preload? When I started downloading, it just said 60GB. I had 70GB free and it was downloading just fine. What would had happened if I let it finish it?

Shadownet

Banned
Forgive me I just woke up but from what Dogg is saying, I'm going to have to download 50GBs and then another 60Gbs for FFXIII?

So I shouldn't pre-load it?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I run an aging 2500k. 1 hour is fine, it's still less then the download so its ok. More then 4 and that would be excessive.

If I had to guess (based on your CPU, if you're using a non-SSD that's SATAII, and the size of the game) that the decryption of that much data could easily bump up on the 2 hour mark.

My hermano. Not really, but Piledriver owners are a minority in this place. Hope it's performing well with SoM!

I've always loved AMD's stuff, but yes we're definitely in the minority. I've not got to play as much Shadow of Mordor as I'd like yet, but from what I did play it ran surprisingly well!

Here's a key for Unmechanical.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Black Soma, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Unmechanical -- MB-E244E0C68F7FF9DD - Taken by redlacs. 7 entrants total.

t1412796161z1.png

Parsnip

No, I've seen the screenshot. The screenshot is of the preload screen where you select download location. That isn't the actual size of the files, that's a size supplied by the developers to tell you how much space it will be when installed. Which is often incorrect. Which means it may not have been updated to the new use.

That is, unless someone has posted an image of it actually only downloading 30GB on the download tab of steam.

Oh, that's a good point. I thought you meant the store page description.

Edit: Seems he's updated saying it is actually only downloading 30GB. Weird really. I can't imagine we'd get dual audio and asia wouldn't.
I just saw that as well.
Strange for sure.

Dr Dogg

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Steam warn you about you requiring >100GB free on your Hard Drive for the preload? When I started downloading, it just said 60GB. I had 70GB free and it was downloading just fine. What would had happened if I let it finish it?

What will happen is that it will download fine but when you go to unpack it you will be told you don't have enough space. So if you have another hard drive on your computer with the right amount of free space that would be ok. I'm not sure because I haven't done it yet but I think you can select which Library folder if you have more than one where to unpack your preload to. So if you were to go add another hard drive to your computer and make a Library folder on it you could then unpack it to there and crisis avoided.

If that feature is just a figment of my imagination you can cut your depotcache folder away to another hard drive and point it back to where it is meant to be with a NTFS Junction Point and clear space to unpack it.

Fun and flipping games!

Forgive me I just woke up but from what Dogg is saying, I'm going to have to download 50GBs and then another 60Gbs for FFXIII?

Well if you got 2 or more hard drives and or one but more than 110gb of free space sure go nuts!

Vuze

Preload is 50GB to download however you will have to have another free 60GB on your HDD to decrypt and install the preload data when the game is released. So preload makes sense if you have 110GB+ free space on your harddisk.

Shadownet

Banned
Well if you got 2 or more hard drives and or one but more than 110gb of free space sure go nuts!
my gaming hard drive have 170GBs left.

But what I'm confused about is that I have to download 50GB now, and then another 60GB?
Or am I just downloading 50GBs which will get unpack into 60GB for the install, then the first 50GB will be deleted. So in the end I only end up using 60GB not 110GB.
Sorry I'm not very technical so this whole pre-loading is a bit confusing.

Edit: Ah okay Vuze, so it seem like the latter option is what is it. Good. I just don't wanna download 110GB XD my ISP would kill me. lol Yeah I'll preload it. But then again I might have to download another 30GB for Sleeping Dogs anyway -__-

Vuze

my gaming hard drive have 170GBs left.

But what I'm confused about is that I have to download 50GB now, and then another 60GB?

Or am I just downloading 50GBs which will get unpack into 60GB for the install, then the first 50GB will be deleted. So in the end I only end up using 60GB not 110GB.

Sorry I'm not very technical so this whole pre-loading is a bit confusing.
This. But during the process you will require 110GB since both, preloaded data and unpacked data need to coexist :p

Zafir

If that feature is just a figment of my imagination you can cut your depotcache folder away to another hard drive and point it back to where it is meant to be with a NTFS Junction Point and clear space to unpack it.

Fun and flipping games!
That's what you'd have to do, yeah. It doesn't let you choose where to unpack to. Unless its a new feature and the only way you can get that is by not having enough space. I have loads of space now so isn't a problem for me.

At least we can choose where to download it to though. Long gone are the days I had to mess around making a depotcache junction point to my hard disk from my SSD. Then on unpacking, having to pause, move the files and make a junction point to my hard disk for the game itself too...

MAn, Separate Ways is six hours long :l

And the herbs look weird!

The thing with Separate Ways that always bugged me was never that it reuses a ton of assests because that makes sense given what it is. It was that it was produced on the PS2, so if you played the gamecube version of RE4 and then played SW, you'd notice that it just doesn't look as good as RE4. Always irked me.

Turfster

Note to self: don't walk into chairs in Styx, they're made from balsawood and fall immediately, alerting all the guards =p

Also, seriously, shame on whoever did the English translation.

Dr Dogg

What makes you think hardcoded subs, don't be a crazy dogg.

I think it's just two video files for English and Japanese audio for lipsyncing purposes. And subs for everything else.

I can't remember what film it was but back in the early days of DVD I had a flipper disc that had an awful encode on it and I had no idea why it was so bad. Turns out it had 4 versions of the same film and compressed to fit into the space. One without subtitles, one with English subs, another with French and another with Spanish.

I've seen games do this too with prerendered cutscenes that instead of having the subs as a dynamic element over the top of essentially a video had multiple versions of the same cutscenes or even credits but in different languages. It's rare mind.

Edit: Ah okay Vuze, so it seem like the latter option is what is it. Good. I just don't wanna download 110GB XD my ISP would kill me. lol Yeah I'll preload it. But then again I might have to download another 30GB for Sleeping Dogs anyway -__-

Yeah sorry what Vuze said. My shitty TimeCop analogy wasn't probably the best.

kudoboi

Just a word of warning due to this being a preload and not an install you will need 50gb to download and a further 60gb to unpack it. So you need 110gb free if you only have 1 hard drive.

no preload for me then. i aint gonna uninstall all my games just for this

Asgaro

Remember to stay off the Steam facebook page until it goes back up. Or else you'll see all those people ctrl +c ctrl +v'ing that give connection shit. That and begging for Skyrim 80% off.

Thanks for giving me the urge to check it out.

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give CONNECTION つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Shadownet

Banned
So a quick question.

I have a 2TB hard drive, which I split it into 4 parts. A and B drive. C drive is where my OS is)
Now A drive is where I install any programs, B drive is for my games. My A drive still have like 99GB left cause I barely install any programs, while my B drive only has 180GB left.

Is there any way to shift like 50GB from A drive to B drive?

Vazduh

So a quick question.

I have a 2TB hard drive, which I split it into 4 parts. A and B drive. C drive is where my OS is)
Now A drive is where I install any programs, B drive is for my games. My A drive still have like 99GB left cause I barely install any programs, while my B drive only has 180GB left.

Start - type "Disk Management". Or maybe commercial software like "Partition master" etc.

So a quick question.

I might be wrong, but doesn't Windows 7 allow to reduce the space of one partition and move it to another? I did it to free some space for a linux partition, maybe it works in your situation too?

Zafir

So a quick question.

You can try in disk management(RIght click computer/my pc on the start menu, then manage). If you right click the drive with the extra space and click shrink volume, you can reduce that, and then add it to the partition you want it on using extend volume. That said, sometimes it doesn't let you do it, possibly because of structure.

Dr Dogg

So I just got an email with the subject line 'FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD - Out 20th March 2015' now with me being in FF euphoria at the mo and with that Amazon.it listing was extra curious. Clicked on it and was let down :( Just current console still sadly.

So a quick question.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management then find the Storage section on the left and under the drop down the should be and entry labeled Disk Management. Find the drive you want to reduce the size of and right click on it and select 'Shrink Volume'. Remove the amount you want and the right click on the drive you want the space to go to and click 'Extend Volume'. That should do the trick.

Edit: Damn you Zafir!

jshackles

So I just got an email with the subject line 'FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD - Out 20th March 2015' now with me being in FF euphoria at the mo and with that Amazon.it listing was extra curious. Clicked on it and was let down :( Just current console still sadly.

I guess one of the reasons I got a PS4 and pre-ordered this and XV is that it seems to be "the console of choice" for Square Enix. I feel like the Xbox One was an afterthought (to appease the US fan base) and that PC may or may not even happen. Even if it does happen, it's likely to be ported from the console version anyway.

So that's how I justify keeping my PS4 pre-order. ;)

Zafir

I wouldn't say Type-0 on PC is a definite no though. Square Enix may have denied it, but that might just mean they aren't ready to announce it yet. It could also be their way of wanting people to buy the PS4/Xbone version and then double dip on a PC version at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom