• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

i gotta wait til the game release and GMG sending me the code so i can start downloading the 30gig.

emot-smithicide6zjfv.gif

30?

Annubis

it was only matter of time before Lightning invaded VR for more followers.

So it was only dual audio after all.

Just dual audio?
I don't know if it's the right way of saying it when a second audio track requires 30 GB.
Is the audio in FLAC and the videos in DV ? Jeez

MayMay

Banned
Just dual audio?
I don't know if it's the right way of saying it when a second audio track requires 30 GB.

Well, the cutscenes made up ~30GB of the PS3 Version lol. Since its mostly pre-rendered stuff. On PC we can expect a better codec, so they're probably a bit smaller - but still they're a big part of it. And you cant just change the audio track on them because of lip syncing issues.

I don't mind origin that much.
Its a ton better than Uplay at least.

This is marginally debatable. I actually like the idea of Uplay achievements providing in-game unlocks that provide non-game breaking additions. That seems really cool to me. Non-Steam DRM and a blah-meh-whatever storefront, not so much. I'd love if Steam incorporated this in some way.

I'm not even going to bother with the DLC.
None of it was very good and we have the keep now for inquistion choices.

The bold part is more than marginally debatable. I played through the base game, felt great about it, but haven't touched the DLC. A fair amount of people have widely praised the additions as being spot on.

The bold-italic-underline is just something that I meant to point out... we're this close to launch for that game and yet the Keep still isn't live!?

For reference, I enjoyed base DA:0 and didn't mind DA2 for what it was. I agree that it was not a proper sequel and any Origin hater should not pick up the .exe up just for that, but it was a decent presentation of a very concise story in a very concise setting. Also for reference, I tend to agree with Jawmuncher on things, but potentially not here.

Jawmuncher

This is marginally debatable. I actually like the idea of Uplay achievements providing in-game unlocks that provide non-game breaking additions. That seems really cool to me. Non-Steam DRM and a blah-meh-whatever storefront, not so much. I'd love if Steam incorporated this in some way.

The bold part is more than marginally debatable. I played through the base game, felt great about it, but haven't touched the DLC. A fair amount of people have widely praised the additions as being spot on.

The bold-italic-underline is just something that I meant to point out... we're this close to launch for that game and yet the Keep still isn't live!?

For reference, I enjoyed base DA:0 and didn't mind DA2 for what it was. I agree that it was not a proper sequel and any Origin hater should not pick up the .exe up just for that, but it was a decent presentation of a very concise story in a very concise setting. Also for reference, I tend to agree with Jawmuncher on things, but potentially not here.

At least I had a good track record for awhile.

The DLC I really only recall the Morrigan related one really being worthwhile. It's been awhile so maybe that fact just made me forget about them.
As for Origin vs Uplay. While I like the ideas of rewards the way Uplay handles downloads it pretty bad still and Origin free game offers are at least something all things considered.

But yeah The Keep not being available still is pretty odd. The way they talk about it on Facebook you would think it's been out awhile but nope.

AsfaeksBR

I think you could email Steam Support and ask them to take the game off of your account, regift it and send it to me. ;D There, problem solved.

Is the story/characters any good? or is Styx only good for the gameplay?

It actually looks more complex than I thought it would.
There are cutscenes, a few characters, the story progresses. I really want to see how it ends.
But it's the gameplay part where the game shines. The platforming seems a bit floaty at first, but it's actually really responsive.
Large stages, A LOT of enemies to get by, a bunch of collectibles. A treat for the price they're asking!

Arthea

Just dual audio?

It's not that simple, there is lipsync too, so it's not audio only audio that takes 30GB,

edited: badly beaten yet again. steamgaf is too fast for me

Jawmuncher

Eeeeeh.
When they did their sale last week, none of the DLC was discounted and you still(?) have to use Bioware spacebucks to get them for the older games, which is ridiculous.

I won't defend those damn Bioware Points.
Wanted to buy all the Mass Effect DLC for my trilogy but fucking going through that mess.

Zafir

One more question about the FFXIII preload guys :p

So, I have an external hard drive with more than 100GB free. It is possible to let Steam preload and then uncompress the game there, and once is done, move the files to my main drive?

What's the easiest/safest way to do it?
When you start the preload, start it downloading to your main drive. Pause it, then create a folder on your external and copy all the files in your main drives depotcache* folder into the newly created folder. After that, you'll want to make a junction point from the depotcache on your main drive, to your newly created folder.

In cmd to create a junction point you'll want to type mklink /J "<Main drive depotcache path*>" <The directory path for the new folder on the external>

As an example mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\depotcache" E:\Depotcache

It should download to your external, and then it'll install to your main drive tomorrow when it releases.

*Most likely it'll be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\depotcache

Edit: Note if you don't want it always downloading to the external when you preload something, you'll need to get rid of the junction point after it's unpacked tomorrow.

Deitus

One more question about the FFXIII preload guys :p

So, I have an external hard drive with more than 100GB free. It is possible to let Steam preload and then uncompress the game there, and once is done, move the files to my main drive?

What's the easiest/safest way to do it?

This is the answer Grief.exe gave me when I was having issues moving games between drives.

Just move the folder over (steamapps/common/Banished) then move over the corresponding .acf file (steamapps/appmanifest_242920.acf)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132024152&postcount=8700

You'll need to look up the appid for the game you are moving to get the right .acf file. There are also 3rd party programs you can download that will automate this process.

Dr Dogg

Uhh is Gauntlet selling poorly or something? Seeing as it just came out and I've just got a -25% off coupon pop up.

Oh and Tellaerin welcome to the CRT hangover club. You'll move on eventually but LED backlighting is just not the same :(

kiyomi

Origin making good deals lately. Dragon Age for free and other stuff.

Free Dragon Age is nice but it's also a 5 year old game that quite a lot of PC players who are into RPGs probably already own. Like whatever, it's a nice gesture and all, but they're not exactly going out of their way to make players feel super stoked about Origin or whatever. It's a neat tool to drum up interest in the DA franchise and hook a few people into signing up to Origin.

Having said that - play it! It's a good game.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
So I beat Dear Esther.

It was a real drag to play for the first 30 or so minutes, because the narrator is so focused on throwing out big vocabulary, making muddled metaphors, and generally being pessimistic. My curiosity was almost immediately doused by his tangent of becoming a vacuum maker because, when Esther was a newborn, she filled the vacuum of silence over her giant facial birthmark with her cries? What the fuck is that even supposed to mean. It's so dumb. Not to mention it's incredibly tough to figure out where you're supposed to go, when even the smallest rock gates your path. I was stuck in the buoy area for like 15 minutes because I didn't see the path forward and kept wandering by the boats instead.

But once you get into the tunnels, it gets significantly better in all respects. The last two areas are so much more beautiful than the previous two. The paths are much more delineated, so you don't get as stuck as before. The narrator stops getting lost up his own ass and starts talking about the bigger picture, and you start to unravel the mystery around the people he keeps talking about, and it reels your curiosity back in from whatever the hell the things mentioned in the beginning were about. You even end up sympathetic for the guy.

In the end, would I recommend it? I'm not sure. I really didn't enjoy the beginning half, and was even pretty bored, but the last half of the game was good. It's only takes around an hour to beat, so I guess I'd say try it on the cheap.

Also here's my stream of conscious impression of the plot. I would've spoiler tagged the whole list, but apparently you can't do that anymore? I covered most of the stuff I thought was spoilery, but just in case, you were were warned!

• This dude is depressing.
  • Oh, so that's why it's called Dear Esther.
  • He seems pretty
    suicidal
    actually.
  • Oh shit, Esther's
    dead
    ?
  • This guy really has a grudge against
    drunk drivers.
    I guess I would too if
    they killed my girlfriend.
  • I guess it was him, his girlfriend, and his friend Paul
    in the car, and only him and Paul are ok? Besides the drunk driver.
  • Who is Mrs. Lot.
  • I wonder where this Jakobson tangent is going. Sheeps seem to have nothing to do with anything.
  • Oh shit, Paul is
    dead too.
  • Maybe Donnelly's
    a split personality type thing that the narrator developed from survivor's guilt.
  • Jakobson is definitely
    the drunk driver,
    but the narrator doesn't seem to be so angry at him.
  • It's definitely
    survivor's guilt.
  • Yo, this guy really is
    suicidal.
  • So there was
    no alcohol involved? It was just a trick of the road?
  • So
    Esther was the wife, Paul was Jakobson and not his friend I guess, and narrator's dead.
    Welp.
  • Still don't know who Mrs. Lot is.

Turfster

Um. I think I broke Styx.
Like, half the humans in this level (the first one
in the distillery
) are dead before I even get there, and I haven't done anything special...

GaussTek

When you start the preload, start it downloading to your main drive. Pause it, then create a folder on your external and copy all the files in your main drives depotcache* folder into the newly created folder. After that, you'll want to make a junction point from the depotcache on your main drive, to your newly created folder.

In cmd to create a junction point you'll want to type mklink /J "<Main drive depotcache path*>" <The directory path for the new folder on the external>

As an example mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\depotcache" E:\Depotcache

It should download to your external, and then it'll install to your main drive tomorrow when it releases.

*Most likely it'll be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\depotcache

Edit: Note if you don't want it always downloading to the external when you preload something, you'll need to get rid of the junction point after it's unpacked tomorrow.

This is the answer Grief.exe gave me when I was having issues moving games between drives.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132024152&postcount=8700

You'll need to look up the appid for the game you are moving to get the right .acf file. There are also 3rd party programs you can download that will automate this process.

Thanks a lot guys! I think will go with Zafir's option as it will unpack and move to my main drive at the same time :)

Just one thing. How do you get rid of the Junction point once it's done? (sorry if I sound so noob about this).

Zafir

Thanks a lot guys! I think will go with Zafir's option as it will unpack and move to my main folder at the same time :)

Just one thing. How do you get rid of the Juntion point? (sorry if I sound so noob about this).
Just delete the junction point folder in steamapps. It'll create the folder again when ever you preload something.
Yeah that's probably easier than using CMD if you aren't comfortable with it. :)

GaussTek

Ozium

I started to play some Murdered Soul Suspect to unwind after being tense in Alien and it's a good game for halloween fun times... if it's in yer backlog now's a good time to check it out..

I get stressed out and anxious playin Alien so I need to take breaks lol

Nzyme32

Just posting that from the FFXIII PC OT. Works, just tried it. Not only that - but in the "Beta" tab is a "SteamVR Beta"???

Anyways, good to see we're indeed getting....
DUAL AUDIO SUPPORT HYPE

Oh this is great

• Didn't know I could pre-load till now. Hopefully it will be ready for my birthday tomorrow
  • I bought the game thinking is would have Japanese and English dubs but was dissapointed to here that changed after i purchased, but now... it's back, excellent news
  • SteamVR you say.. assuming that is no mistake, that is fantastic. I thought generally the games supporting or even beta testing VR support, are very well optimised, like Alien: Isolation, so I have high hopes for this one now too.

iosefe

Oh this is great

• SteamVR you say.. assuming that is no mistake, that is fantastic. I thought generally the games supporting or even beta testing VR support, are very well optimised, like Alien: Isolation, so I have high hopes for this one now too.

have you seen the specs? this game is hella optimized for the Dive In service.

but how would VR be used?

Hugstable

Banned
Yay Preload for Final Fantasy XIII is complete! My body is ready for tomorrow! Haven't gamed on my PC in over a month now haha -___-

Deitus

Also here's my stream of conscious impression of the plot. I would've spoiler tagged the whole list, but apparently you can't do that anymore? I covered most of the stuff I thought was spoilery, but just in case, you were were warned!

I don't think that the rule against spoiler tagging lists would really apply here.

It was about people making threads about top 10 lists, and then spoiler tagging the list in case people wanted to be surprised when they read the full article (or watched the video). It was a dumb practice, but I never understood what the potential harm was that it necessitated making a rule against it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Um. I think I broke Styx.
Like, half the humans in this level (the first one
in the distillery
) are dead before I even get there, and I haven't done anything special...

dat euro jank

Pardon my ignorance on this dual audio news, but does this mean we'll be able to have Japanese voices with English menus? Looking at that screenshot earlier of the language options it seemed to me like it was more that you could just set the game (including menus) to be other languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom