• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I guess one of the reasons I got a PS4 and pre-ordered this and XV is that it seems to be "the console of choice" for Square Enix. I feel like the Xbox One was an afterthought (to appease the US fan base) and that PC may or may not even happen. Even if it does happen, it's likely to be ported from the console version anyway.

So that's how I justify keeping my PS4 pre-order. ;)

I think in the long run there always going to be console exclusive games we're all going to want to play that sadly won't come to PC or even another console. My WiiU purchase is looking better and better by the month and I can see Bloodbourne being too much for me not to resist picking up a PS4 in the future. Though Metal Gear Solid V was going to be the game that made my mind up but with that being available to consoles and Steam I'm pleased as punch.

Shadownet

Banned
CaWfbjo.png
Did I do it right?

My B drive from this window look like it's split into 3 parts, but in the normal Computer screen there is only one B drive with 1.65GB

Did I do it right?

My B drive from this window look like it's split into 3 parts, but in the normal Computer screen there is only one B drive with 1.65GB

Some games may have issues with having a B drive which is a HDD instead of a diskette drive. Diablo 3 refused to install when I had a B drive for games.

Turfster

Ugh, Styx lets you rebind everything except item switching.
My scrollwheel is fucking busted, so I have to use the 360 controller just for that...

Grief.exe

I guess one of the reasons I got a PS4 and pre-ordered this and XV is that it seems to be "the console of choice" for Square Enix. I feel like the Xbox One was an afterthought (to appease the US fan base) and that PC may or may not even happen. Even if it does happen, it's likely to be ported from the console version anyway.

So that's how I justify keeping my PS4 pre-order. ;)

Whatever helps you sleep at night jshacks.

I bought the FF from umm GamersGate, I wonder if I ever get my key. Not that it matters of course, as I am never going to play it anyway :3

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Type-0 would/will be nice. Dat XV though... I'm pining so hard for a PC announcement.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think in the long run there always going to be console exclusive games we're all going to want to play that sadly won't come to PC or even another console. My WiiU purchase is looking better and better by the month and I can see Bloodbourne being too much for me not to resist picking up a PS4 in the future. Though Metal Gear Solid V was going to be the game that made my mind up but with that being available to consoles and Steam I'm pleased as punch.

I got a WiiU last year and I've ended up playing it quite a bit, despite having a thick layer of dust on my Wii prior to that. I've been on the fence about a PS4 (I've been hoping for a PS1 / PS2 software emulation announcement) but my wife bought me one for my birthday. I've been able to pick up Infamous Second Son, Killzone, Watch_Dogs, The Last of Us Remastered, and Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes all for about $100.

Next year looks like the PS4 will be killing it with Bloodborne, The Order: 1886, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, and others on the horizon like Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV, and Kingdom Hearts III. Granted some of those can be had on the Xbox One if that's your cup of tea. But for me it seems like a pretty good console (vs the One) since I have a Vita and have been bulking up on other PS4 games through PS+ for about a year now.

As game sizes get bigger, I really think it's time for Valve to introduce a "play as you download" feature on Steam. 50 or 60 GB for one game, that's just massive.

yatesl

Is there a way to find any soundtracks on Steam? I notice that a bunch of Valve soundtracks became available for free (as DLC), and some other games have them too (Super Win the Game, for example), but searching "Soundtrack" on Steam brings up unrelated games.

Oh, and I just noticed the "Rewards on Playfire" section that Enhanced Steam adds. Thanks jshackles!

Tellaerin

So my NEC CRT monitor finally died.

At first, it would just take awhile to come on when I switched on the power. It'd make a rapid ticking sound, then the ticking would gradually slow down and become uneven. Eventually it would "catch" and the screen would come on. Over the span of about a week, the delay between switching on the power and having the display come on went from minutes to over an hour. Then, finally, there came the day when it just kept ticking and didn't power on at all.

That monitor lasted nearly nine years to the day. (The Newegg receipt is from October of 2005.) I'm going to miss it. Goodnight, sweet prince.

Received a replacement monitor today courtesy of a generous soul who commissioned some work from me. It's an Asus LCD, 21.5". It's definitely a change from my old monitor. The colors seem a touch washed out by comparison, and the blacks aren't as deep, but I think that's just an LCD thing in general. The difference isn't huge, but I'll probably have to mess with the calibration some. Having all this extra screen space is going to take some getting used to. I set the desktop resolution to my new monitor's native res, and now all my desktop icons are huddled in the upper right-hand corner, like they're afraid of all the empty space surrounding them. Maybe they'll stop feeling timid and start venturing out to fill the rest of the screen soon.

That being the case, I really haven't been keeping up on the thread over the last couple of days, outside of checking in on mobile a couple of times. Any big news go down while I was away?

Shadownet

Banned
I posted this last night but I'll repost it since I'm sure most people didn't see it.

Alright, since I'm sure we all got a chance to vote. I've decided to sell 6 copies of Alien Isolation, while keeping 3 to raffle. If you're interested in buying a copy, contact me on GAF/Steam. All proceeds will be use to buy more games to raffle away for SteamGAF. So it's a win/win.
price will be 56% of MSRP.

I'll also raffle/stealth gift away the other games I got based on who got it on their wishlist.

Turfster

That's weird how the controller will hurt you hand more after all of that than the MK&B.

It's about how the gripping works and the fact that I can just rest my hand on my trackball, so my arm doesn't have to move as much and can stay in a nice straight 90 degree angle.
Yes, my arm is still somewhat fucked, which extends to my wrist and fingers =p

madjoki

As game sizes get bigger, I really think it's time for Valve to introduce a "play as you download" feature on Steam. 50 or 60 GB for one game, that's just massive.

Actually, didn't they used to have this for source games before they got rid of gcf files?

I guess it's pretty hard to do unless game was designed to support it.

So i always wondered this, If i start downloading a preload and then the launch comes and i havent finished downloading the pre-load what happens?

Does it start over and download the install file or does it switch the preload to install and continue downloading?

Alavard

I guess there's no downside to Valve doing it (other than diverting resources from other things), but it probably wouldn't be used much.

It would require vastly different game architecture by the developers, making it unlikely to happen with cross-platform games (since it would have to be coded differently than the versions on consoles), and these games are often the biggest offenders of big game sizes anyway.

I guess I could see Valve experimenting with it for a big release of their own, but that's about it.

derExperte

So i always wondered this, If i start downloading a preload and then the launch comes and i havent finished downloading the pre-load what happens?

Does it start over and download the install file or does it switch the preload to install and continue downloading?

Alien unlocked while I was downloading. I paused the download for whatever reason and then it continued where it left off and I could immediately play. Or did the game decrypt? It's been two whole days, can't remember exactly but the download didn't start over.

Knurek

Is there any way to shift like 50GB from A drive to B drive?

If you're under Win7 or above, you can just move data from drive A to drive B, and make a directory junction on drive A, so that the system thinks the data is still on drive A.
Steammover works on this principle.

Jawmuncher

Alien unlocked while I was downloading. I paused the download for whatever reason and then it continued where it left off and I could immediately play. Or did it decrypt? It's been two days, can't remember exactly but the download didn't start over.

I think it just corrects itself while downloading.
I started my download just before it was unlocked so I know that at the moment it was a preload. But when I came back I could just play it.

I wouldn't say Type-0 on PC is a definite no though. Square Enix may have denied it, but that might just mean they aren't ready to announce it yet. It could also be their way of wanting people to buy the PS4/Xbone version and then double dip on a PC version at a later date.

I think it's safe to assume it's coming eventually.

Nabs

I tried to install the free DLC in DA:O last year and just ended up deleting the game from my life.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, I remember trying to grab some of the dlc which was supposed to be free (previously pre-order stuff or whatever, items and crap) and while I got some of it to work, it was quite a hassle. Didn't even bother in DA2. I hope DA:I has a better way of implementing it. Even then I'm only gonna start out with the vanilla edition since the extras seem superfluous.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, I remember trying to grab some of the dlc which was supposed to be free (previously pre-order stuff or whatever, items and crap) and while I got some of it to work, it was quite a hassle. Didn't even bother in DA2. I hope DA:I has a better way of implementing it. Even then I'm only gonna start out with the vanilla edition since the extras seem superfluous.

Bioware Point nonsense alone makes me think I should just get Inquistion on PS4.

MayMay

Banned

Just posting that from the FFXIII PC OT. Works, just tried it. Not only that - but in the "Beta" tab is a "SteamVR Beta"???

Anyways, good to see we're indeed getting....
DUAL AUDIO SUPPORT HYPE

GaussTek

One more question about the FFXIII preload guys :p

So, I have an external hard drive with more than 100GB free. It is possible to let Steam preload and then uncompress the game there, and once is done, move the files to my main drive?

What's the easiest/safest way to do it?

Shadownet

Banned
If you're under Win7 or above, you can just move data from drive A to drive B, and make a directory junction on drive A, so that the system thinks the data is still on drive A.
Steammover works on this principle.

I have Windows 8.1 but from what I've understand 8.1 and 7 isn't that different. Snake is helping me right now. But he doesn't think there will be any problem even if the B drive is separated into 3 parts.

Edit: Okay now I managed to lower that number to 2.

Vuze

Just posting that from the FFXIII PC OT. Works, just tried it. Not only that - but in the "Beta" tab is a "SteamVR Beta"???

Mind posting a screenshot? If it's no mistake but they are actually working on VR support this would eventually make me buy the game... :p

MayMay

Banned
Mind posting a screenshot? If it's no mistake but they are actually working on VR support this would eventually make me buy the game... :p

Sure, here you go. Its the same menu that also contains the JP Language option, just a different tab.

a012e0975a.png

It's really weird, thats why I was asking. Havent seen any other game have a "SteamVR" update before.

L.O.R.D

just got Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition for 5 TF2 keys
good deal , i was gonna get the normal edition with all the DLCs for 4 keys two month ago

AsfaeksBR

The only way I can get a break from Styx is if the game crashes.
I accidentaly pressed a "sound settings" button on my laptop and the game crashed because of it, not because the game is buggy.

3 hours i, I'm in half of mission 2 on a total of 6 (according to Steam Achievements)

Shadownet

Banned
The only way I can get a break from Styx is if the game crashes.

I think you could email Steam Support and ask them to take the game off of your account, regift it and send it to me. ;D There, problem solved.

Is the story/characters any good? or is Styx only good for the gameplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom