• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
Will try and give FFXIII a proper chance this weekend then, chapter 3 can't be too far off.

The comments about what it will be like sound familiar and decent. I can see the AOE timing mechanic already that Grief mentions.

12-15 hours to open up is pretty brutal though, hopefully it's not actually that bad.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think they fixed the out of region shit crapping up your discovery queue.

whats this now?

I bought a Age of Myth 4 pack earlier and the gift copies all had the ! THIS GAME IS REGION LOCKED BRO icon on them but didnt specify any countries. is that what you are talking about?

Zeliard

If anyone here loves Amnesia: The Dark Descent, you owe it to yourself to check out Alien: Isolation. While it may be cheap and easy to call the latter "Amnesia in space," that's ultimately largely what it is, though I do personally feel it's a lot more tense than it is outright scary. Amnesia is pretty tough to beat as far as fear factor goes.

A very cool game. Survival horror in the Alien universe done right, and fully in the spirit and general tone of Ridley Scott's original Alien rather than its bombastic, militaristic sequels.

MattyG

Banned
If anyone here loves Amnesia: The Dark Descent, you owe it to yourself to check out Alien: Isolation. While it may be cheap and easy to call the latter "Amnesia in space," that's ultimately largely what it is, though I do personally feel it's a lot more tense than it is outright scary. Amnesia is pretty tough to beat as far as fear factor goes.

A very cool game. Survival horror in the Alien universe done right, and fully in the spirit and general tone of Ridley Scott's original Alien rather than its bombastic, militaristic sequels.
Never really played a horror game before, but I'm loving Alien, so I'm guessing I should check out Amnesia soon. How about A Machine for Pigs?

Zeliard

Never really played a horror game before, but I'm loving Alien, so I'm guessing I should check out Amnesia soon. How about A Machine for Pigs?

I bought A Machine for Pigs back during the spring sale but haven't actually tried it yet. Haven't heard great things, though. I know they got rid of neat mechanics like the sanity system, which is unfortunate.

But yes if you've enjoyed Alien, definitely check out Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Perfect month to do so as well. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This thread has become a hell of JRPG talk that I'm not sure I'm ready for.

I know / think youre joking, but I cant wait for WWE 2k15 to be real to REALLY piss off some of the "eww I cant stand all this talk about X genre I dont like" people

I bought A Machine for Pigs back during the spring sale but haven't actually tried it yet. Haven't heard great things, though. I know they got rid of neat mechanics like the sanity system, which is unfortunate.

arent horror games completely lost on you, since you have seen ACTUAL horrors down in the darkest pits of hell, being a minion of cthulu?

Turfster

whats this now?

I bought a Age of Myth 4 pack earlier and the gift copies all had the ! THIS GAME IS REGION LOCKED BRO icon on them but didnt specify any countries. is that what you are talking about?

No, I'm talking about the fact that I've been able to go through like, 10 full discovery queues already without it going BLARBRTHR THIS F2P BULLSHIT GAME IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR YOUR REGION AND NOW WE WILL KEEP TRYING TO SHOVE IT DOWN YOUR THROAT AND FAILING, which it did for 3 weeks.

I know / think youre joking, but I cant wait for WWE 2k15 to be real to REALLY piss off some of the "eww I cant stand all this talk about X genre I dont like" people

arent horror games completely lost on you, since you have seen ACTUAL horrors down in the darkest pits of hell, being a minion of cthulu?

I sort of am joking, I don't really like JRPG's but I don't care if others talk about them, and as little as I care about JRPG's I care even less about wrestling so that will be fun.

That was my least favorite part of PW and possibly the most annoying bit of dialogue in all of MGS if you can fathom that.

maneil99

This thread has become a hell of JRPG talk that I'm not sure I'm ready for.

When Call of Dootie comes out it's gonna be screenshot gallery galore. Then again might not be a bad thing, my Call of Duty screenshot skills are pretty good.
Better then my headshot skills

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I still can't bring myself to play Amnesia. Alien however got me to play because I love the film too much to skip over it out of fear.

Miguel81

Amnesia TDD is very much worth it if you're enjoying Alien. It had a lower budget, of course, but it's atmosphere is fantastic and extremely creepy. If you're looking for more scares, you'll get them. Different environment, notes to read, a vastly different story. You can jump into it after Alien without issue imo.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Not unless otherwise specified. I know the last one to have DLC beyond what was posted was Mafia II, but that may have been a bug or glitch (it said it was the Digital Deluxe Edition, even though it was the base game).

That is disappointing. Thanks for the elucidation however.

Zeliard

does it have to be the DC? I know I own it on dvd, no idea which version

Yes, it has to be the DC. And it has to be Blu-Ray. The visual splendor demands it.

I still can't bring myself to play Amnesia. Alien however got me to play because I love the film too much to skip over it out of fear.

Amnesia is freaky.

Like, and I'm not even trying to say this as a "badass" thing or whatever, basically no media really scares me. Books, movies/tv shows, games... nothing really gets to me at all. Except Amnesia. I could only ever play it in short spurts, because the sheer mounting dread would ultimately get to me pretty hard, and I just had to stop. And I found that sensation to be unique and wonderful (others find playing games they find genuinely scary to be intolerable, but I find fear in a totally safe setting to be pretty exciting).

I think it's kind of unfortunate that Amnesia being scary has been turned into this sort of goofy meme with over-the-top youtube reaction vids and whatnot, but I don't think it ultimately takes away from its impact. It's a hugely impressive gaming experience. I try to imagine playing it with the Oculus Rift and start getting palpitations.

you saw the pro wrestling x game? seems to have potential.

MattyG

Banned
Amnesia TDD is very much worth it if you're enjoying Alien. It had a lower budget, of course, but it's atmosphere is fantastic and extremely creepy. If you're looking for more scares, you'll get them. Different environment, notes to read, a vastly different story. You can jump into it after Alien without issue imo.
Cool, I'll grab it after TEW, maybe if it goes on sale around Halloween. I've gotta admit, I always kind of hated horror stuff before, but after Alien I'm starting to love it. Getting scared without any real danger is exhilarating.

Miguel81

does it have to be the DC? I know I own it on dvd, no idea which version

I watched the original first on HBO and was left scratching my head at a bunch of holes in the story. When I watched the DC on Blu Ray it was like a revelation, "Ah, so that's how and why this happened".

Rhaknar

Like, and I'm not even trying to say this as a "badass" thing or whatever, basically no media really scares me. Books, movies/tv shows, games... nothing really gets to me at all

yeah no shit

16469-14089.gif

actual picture of Zel as a child. true story

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Getting Mercy (no kills)/Shadow (no alerts)/Swiftness (complete the level within the stated time) in the first mission of Styx was easier than I thought it'd be. 18m to cover two levels seemed short at first but I managed to do it in a little less than 11m with a bit of luck and a side of save-scumming.

Rhaknar

Getting Mercy (no kills)/Shadow (no alerts)/Swiftness (complete the level within the stated time) in the first mission of Styx was easier than I thought it'd be. 18m to cover two levels seemed short at first but I managed to do it in a little less than 11m with a bit of luck and a side of save-scumming.

I dont even know who you are anymore

Tenrius

I'm about to start Space Channel 5: part 2 for the first time. I've been secretly interested in playing it for about 14 years, ever since I saw it in mentioned in a magazine.

xBladeM6x

It's decent. I think Colonial Marines made people appreciate it more.

Yeah it's definitley a lot better than people gave it credit for back in the day.
Especially the Marine campaign which was pretty good.

Can't remember much about the Alien and Predator campaigns.
But I know for sure predator was the weakest.

Worth it for the gore and the pretty visuals alone. Dunno if the mp is active but i had fun with it. Overall while not great it's solid imo.

Is it on sale?
It's not on sale, but I just recently got into the Alien series, and have been a long time fan of Predator, so I thought I'd look into a more action oriented game, since I have my horror A:I game now. Definitely will be picking it up in the holiday sale.

JDHarbs

It's not on sale, but I just recently got into the Alien series, and have been a long time fan of Predator, so I thought I'd look into a more action oriented game, since I have my horror A:I game now. Definitely will be picking it up in the holiday sale.
We should get some matches going on here. I haven't played it online since launch since the console playerbase died pretty quickly.

Zeliard

See, if we're talking about great Alien games in here, we need to talk about Aliens Vs Predator. No, not the newer one. It looks pretty dated these days, but I had a hell of a lot of fun with it.

The only other Alien games I've played outside of Isolation I'd call wonderful are AvP2 by Monolith and the arcade Alien vs Predator, which I played all the damn time as a kid at the local Fuddruckers. Along with stuff like Golden Axe 1/2, Gauntlet, and X-Men, AvP was my favorite arcade beat-em-up.

mannerbot

The only other Alien games I've played outside of Isolation I'd call wonderful are AvP2 by Monolith and the arcade Alien vs Predator, which I played all the damn time as a kid at the local Fuddruckers. Along with stuff like Golden Axe 1/2, Gauntlet, and X-Men, AvP was my favorite arcade beat-em-up.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking of the beat em up with that post lol.

I never got around to AvP2. I want to. Back when the newest AvP came out--or near it--they re-released the first one; I was hoping the second one would be coming soon after, but there were issues with licensing at the time.
With ownership of the game seemingly changing from Fox to Rebellion about a month ago, I wonder if we'll finally see a digital re-release of the sequel as it too is (was?) owned by Fox.
I would think the release of Alien Isolation might have prompted Fox/Rebellion to try and cash in on some of the hype or something. Hopefully it does get released soon.
Yeah, I was definitely thinking of the beat em up with that post lol.
There are way too many games called AvP. >_<

Tenrius

See, if we're talking about great Alien games in here, we need to talk about Aliens Vs Predator. No, not the newer one. It looks pretty dated these days, but I had a hell of a lot of fun with it.

I didn't realize it was on Steam and I need it. Really great game and I've never played the sequel either.

In the mean time, Space Channel 5 is brutally hard. Or maybe I'm not getting something.

Tenrius

I'd like to nominate "Rich people dancing silly" to be the next thread title.

STEAM | October 2014 II - Rich people dancing silly

You know you want it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom