• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I agree, hopefully the upcoming story mode will fix that, I wish it had a way of stockpilling stuff as well, having to go out each day to scavenge food and water is cool and all but it's impossible to really get ahead right now and stock up on stuff.

Man, I just always have this vision in my head when thinking about survival games, where you are low on everything, prepare to die and suddenly you reach the top of a hill and see a town in the far distance. It would just be sweet to have a real goal.
Make it random how far the towns are away (would be pretty cool if there are multiple towns but you have no idea where exactly and which one if the closest, so after you die you might learn that going east instead of west would have been much easier or something like that).

I just need a bit more in a survival game than "survive until you die". Having a story-mode is already a step in the right direction though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
People finishing up The Evil Within (no spoilers in this post, don't worry) from multiple shops selling it early, going by their impressions and info, seems the game is a 14-18 hour long game the first time. People completing it are praising it, so that's a good sign. Someone went into depth that the game has no filler and has excellent design and pacing. Many saying it's just as good or better than RE4, if you don't mind the more survival direction over the action direction.

sprinkles

tempted to idle FFXIII because anime cards, people will pay a premium for it. Not sure why, but that's the way it is.
I am part of the problem: Even though I made >5€ with my four Sakura Spirit cards, I used the money to buy Anime cards for other games (and bought AssCreed Revelations because I felt that I needed all Ezio games, but I doubt I will ever recover from collecting those feathers in 2).

It's one of the greatest Steam mysteries.

I am part of the problem: Even though I made >5€ with my four Sakura Spirit cards, I used the money to buy Anime cards for other games.

Some if it makes sense: I get why a Joker card would command a higher price than a Penguin card. That makes sense to me., he's possibly the best villain in comics and the Penguin was played by Danny Devito.

But why some people will pay a premium for random anime cards, i just don't know.

I don't have time to read through Durante's thread of awesomeness, but any changes to his tool over the past 12 hours for FF13?

I was having some issues with it yesterday.

People finishing up The Evil Within (no spoilers in this post, don't worry) from multiple shops selling it early, going by their impressions and info, seems the game is a 14-18 hour long game the first time. People completing it are praising it, so that's a good sign. Someone went into depth that the game has no filler and has excellent design and pacing. Many saying it's just as good or better than RE4, if you don't mind the more survival direction over the action direction.

goddamn, wannnt. Cant run it yet though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
JaseC told me days ago but I didnt write it down like an idiot, does anyone know the file you need to save to keep your categories on a fresh steam install?

liezryou also told me theres a file to trick steam into thinking you are NOT on a new machine so you dont get locked out of the market, any clue what / where that is?

Kifimbo

TGIF:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-2CF78027E6CC7D23 - Taken by deadflower81

Li Kao

The fuck if I'm making sense of AC4 DLC...
So am I right in thinking that the deluxe edition will bring me the Aveline missions, but that if I want the full solo experience I still have to buy the "Illustrious pirates pack" and "Freedom Cry" ?

Assassin's Creed 4 - Black Flag digital deluxe
Illustrious pirates pack
Freedom Cry

Am I missing something ?

Dr Dogg

oh they're going up?

*takes them off the market*

Hahaha by a couple of pence mind.

I don't have time to read through Durante's thread of awesomeness, but any changes to his tool over the past 12 hours for FF13?

I was having some issues with it yesterday.

Nothing massive but he's at work still mind. What issues were you having? A few peeps have been saying they are having stutters or big frame drops unexpectedly. I've only faffed about with the opening 'corridor' so haven't really played that much but outside of battle transitions and tutorial pop ups it's pretty smooth for me.

Nothing massive but he's at work still mind. What issues were you having? A few peeps have been saying they are having stutters or big frame drops unexpectedly. I've only faffed about with the opening 'corridor' so haven't really played that much but outside of battle transitions and tutorial pop ups it's pretty smooth for me.

I just fired it the tool and it looked worse than the stock 720p, was very fuzzy and such. Also, all the menu text was gone.

Framerate was pretty steady, but it was rough to look at. Probably something AMD related :D.

Right now I'm just placing at the standard and forcing everything through the control panel.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The fuck if I'm making sense of AC4 DLC...
So am I right in thinking that the deluxe edition will bring me the Aveline missions, but that if I want the full solo experience I still have to buy the "Illustrious pirates pack" and "Freedom Cry" ?

Assassin's Creed 4 - Black Flag digital deluxe
Illustrious pirates pack
Freedom Cry

Am I missing something ?
Aveline and Freedom Cry are actual separate campaigns. The other pack is built into the main game in the form of 3 super tacked on islands that barely provide more than 15 minutes of content each and some new clothing/a weapon. You got everything.

Levyne

Banned
I just fired it the tool and it looked worse than the stock 720p, was very fuzzy and such. Also, all the menu text was gone.

Framerate was pretty steady, but it was rough to look at. Probably something AMD related :D.

Right now I'm just placing at the standard and forcing everything through the control panel.

The fuzzyness you saw was probably the lingering dof issues that still need to be worked out. there's also a fix for the menus that you can manually apply though I'm sure it will be rolled into the next update too.

Li Kao

Aveline and Freedom Cry are actual separate campaigns. The other pack is built into the main game in the form of 3 super tacked on islands that barely provide more than 15 minutes of content each and some new clothing/a weapon. You got everything.

Ok, and there's no difference whether I get Freedom Cry as a DLC or stand alone, doesn't it ? I thing I will go the Jase route and make a +1 to go with Liberation :-x

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ok, and there's no difference whether I get Freedom Cry as a DLC or stand alone, doesn't it ? I thing I will go the Jase route and make a +1 to go with Liberation :-x
No difference at all. I actually double dipped on Freedom Cry because the stand alone is more convenient. Smaller download and a better main character to dick around as when I decide to do pirating in the future.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The C64 version was mindblowing back in the day. Kids today with their 1080p and Japanese audio and clouds and what not.... That doesn't revolutionise gaming.

It had clouds!

So ok yeah, clouds are fair enough.

I played the original Pirates! on my C64 so damn much that I wore out the folding map that came with the game! But honestly I like the updated version on Steam better. It's pretty much an improvement in every way. I need to make time to play it more often.

Ruruja

iamconfused.png

saoirse-saoirse-ronan-34316771-245-160.gif

Dr Dogg

The fuzzyness some people have been mentioning (with a rectangle at the top right that's clear) looks like something like DOF not adjusted for the new resolution. There also looks like there are some other shader issues like boom taking over the whole screen. I haven't got to any areas like that yet so can't say but hey it's a very, very early process so I think there will be more oddities found yet.

Still for this early in the day having silly resolution support is great. I mean you could have this...
Final Fantasy XIII @ 3840x2160 60fps said:

Or go for this...
Final Fantasy XIII @ 7680x4320 30fps in field 60fps in menus said:

And that's straight up bilinear downsampling as full res screenshots aren't a go at the moment (sorry for the 5mb 2560x1440 res pics). Shadows still look eugh though no matter what.

Li Kao

Ahah, I bought AC4 deluxe edition because the description only mentions The Castaway's Prize and Aveline. I then bought Freedom Cry separately. Five minutes later I check the DLC tab of my deluxe edition and see a nice Freedom Cry (SP) listed.
So maybe I'm missing something*, but if not, Ubi, can you please go fuck yourselves ?

*maybe the purchase of Freedom Cry stand alone also unlock the Black Flack DLC.

Some IndieGala leftovers, all should work except for maaaaybe Garrys, not sure.

ModBot said:
Instructions for MillionStabs:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys and 3 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No thank you's necessary
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Milennium A New Hope -- MB-34DE3549A050D75F - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Laxius Force (Desura) -- MB-432D1918DE685F3E - Taken by crazyrabbits. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Blue Rose (Desura) -- MB-95A408460B17A403 - Taken by yoshizzle
Alchemy Mysteries: Prague Legends -- MB-B3E573E75C63A297
Day One: Garrys Incident -- MB-9F5E9A55E7CB8E21 - Taken by Sendou. 2 entrants total.
Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-AA52D568F5786828 - Taken by SSPssp. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Millennium A New Hope (Desura) -- MB-3D68D7FE2C371C59 - Taken by Jason Frost
xheRJRF.gif
Rush Bros -- MB-4DC0B1292400CDC0
Canyon Capers -- MB-693637421BB6135C - Taken by PossumMeat. 1 entrants total.
Shadows: Price for our Sins Bonus Edition -- MB-F58EB4CCCEFAEEB7 - Taken by dave is ok. 3 entrants total.
Gravity Badgers -- MB-A975489C13C723A0 - Taken by Maniac. 1 entrants total.

t1412959427z1.png

to be fair, these games are much more than that, they are adventure games, and in some I played you can do 0 hidden objects, yea, you can choose other options.

edited: what I mean to say, I liked all Artifex Mundi games I tried so far.

I have only played Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart. I kinda like it, except for the mah jong part

Yeah, I have finished the game twice - once doing hidden objects and the other one doing only mah jong to get all achievements - and in fact the second playthrough was the least enjoyable, by the way I finally had to give up the Tile time achievement.

Okay, so I bought this. I have never heard of a single game mentioned here. Which one should I play?

Out of those, so far I have played only the first Nightmares from the deep and it's a good one, but I guess the others are decent as well.

MUnited83

For you.
Sooo.-- What's GOG talking about? Dreamfall Chapters (by the sound of The Longest Journey) or GOG Galaxy?

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/520570581851586561

Dreamfall Chapters.

Last update was just sent out:

We have a very quick update about a few things that are happening today.

First off, we're finally opening up for pre-purchasing via GOG.com (today!), Steam (soon!) and the Humble Store (also soon!).

Preorder incentives include:

Reborn: The Art of Dreamfall Chapters Book One — a digital art book featuring concept art and illustrations from the first episode of Dreamfall Chapters. The full art book is still exclusive to $75+ backers and will be distributed with the release of Book Five.
Digital soundtrack featuring music from Dreamfall Chapters Book One. The full soundtrack remains exclusive to $50+ backers and add-ons, and will be released after the end of the first season.
Digital Europolis tourist map! Sponsored by Niyom Media and presented by Crowboy, everyone’s favourite crow cowboy!
5 digital avatars featuring characters from Dreamfall Chapters.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
That Artifex Mundi Indie Gala bundle is really great value for 2$!

Most of these games are well made and just relaxing to play, I like them a lot!

To bad that I'm only missing the Time Mysteries one...

kudoboi

speaking of steam backgrounds, am i the only one who experiences their background get reset periodically? eg: i apply a background on steam and a month later it resets to the plain standard background

Turfster

Daily Indie Game has Desert Thunder for 1$ (BTA of 1.4$ for 2 keys)

Indie Game Stand's daily deal is Battlepaths PWYW (BTA of 2$? for Undead Legions)

Get Games Go is doing a Nordic games sale, and a "mac" Civilization sale 75% off across the line

Gamersgate has Van Helsing as its daily (75% off on the first game, 50% off on the second), they also have 75% off Hitman Absolution, Contracts and Tomb Raider. (Other Hitman games are not Steam keys)

I just realized I can now select multiple games in the Steam client and set a category for them in one click.

How long is this witchcraft going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom