• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Groupees BAGB 11 is live
Price: 0.5$/game, 2 game minimum
  • Thief Town
  • Star Nomad
  • A Camp in the Woods
  • Ghost Encounters Deadwood CE
  • VolChaos
  • An Imp? A Fiend!
  • HassleHeart
  • Why So Evil

Every game looks kinda... i dont know. Generic?
The one that looks the best is "An Imp? A Fiend!" but that also looks like a Super Meat Boy clone.

Groupees BAGB 11 is live
Price: 0.5$/game, 2 game minimum
  • Thief Town
  • Star Nomad
  • A Camp in the Woods
  • Ghost Encounters Deadwood CE
  • VolChaos
  • An Imp? A Fiend!
  • HassleHeart
  • Why So Evil

I've bought the last... three BAGL bundles, and I can count the number of games that have been Greenlit on one hand. There's no incentive to pick it up because Groupees doesn't have nearly the outreach of other bundle sites when it comes to GL exposure/clickthroughs.

I've bought the last... three BAGL bundles, and I can count the number of games that have been Greenlit on one hand. There's no incentive to pick it up because Groupees doesn't have nearly the outreach of other bundle sites when it comes to GL exposure/clickthroughs.

Wasnt the Doujinbundle kinda successful when they launched? I remember a lot of games got greenlit after that.

Turfster

The problem with greenlight bundles is more that there's just so fucking many of them these days, and that Valve seems to have slowed down the greenlighting process (when's the last time you saw a batch list instead of someone discovering "hey, this got greenlit"), making it even more random (possibly in advance of just kicking it entirely)

tmarg

There's no incentive to pick it up because Groupees doesn't have nearly the outreach of other bundle sites when it comes to GL exposure/clickthroughs.

Also because steam has really opened the floodgates when it comes to letting things on steam, and if your game is still having a lot of trouble making it, it's probably not of very high quality.

Wasnt the Doujinbundle kinda successful when they launched? I remember a lot of games got greenlit after that.

No idea. I picked up the last few because I hoped it would translate to Steam keys (I don't have the patience to redeem keys on Desura - I already have enough DRM managers to worry about), but I think there have only been four or five games that were greenlit within those packs.

Not that I'm against the whole preorder business, either - I actually quite like those incentives to buy early. At least there, I know I'm getting enough Steam content to justify the price sight unseen.

I'm still debating whether or not to pick up The Evil Within. The price isn't the issue because I can pick up the Game + Season Pass bundle at GMG for about $50 with a voucher. The thing that scares me is the specs the game says is recommended. Even the Minimum says an i7 CPU. I have an i5-4690K so would I not be able to run the game well? I'm not worried about the GPU requirement because I have a 290X so I think I'm good on that part.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The problem with greenlight bundles is more that there's just so fucking many of them these days, and that Valve seems to have slowed down the greenlighting process (when's the last time you saw a batch list instead of someone discovering "hey, this got greenlit"), making it even more random (possibly in advance of just kicking it entirely)

Yet, I keep buying these bundles thinking to myself "If Valve really does get rid of the Greenlight process completely, then all of these games will be on Steam and I'll get keys."

So there's that.

Grief.exe

I'm still debating whether or not to pick up The Evil Within. The price isn't the issue because I can pick up the Game + Season Pass bundle at GMG for about $50 with a voucher. The thing that scares me is the specs the game says is recommended. Even the Minimum says an i7 CPU. I have an i5-4690K so would I not be able to run the game well? I'm not worried about the GPU requirement because I have a 290X so I think I'm good on that part.

You will be more than fine.

i7 is probably in reference to the game being a multi-threaded process and will take advantage of the Hyperthreading that particular processor covers. Modern Intel CPUs, even the i5 varieties, are well beyond what is necessary for recent games.

I sound like an extremely broken record at this point, but recommended system requirements are always massively inflated by publishers due to liability reasons, and should always be treated as utter bullshit.

Yet, I keep buying these bundles thinking to myself "If Valve really does get rid of the Greenlight process completely, then all of these games will be on Steam and I'll get keys."

So there's that.

Unless the dev thinks that people who bought the bundle should not get steam keys.

louiedog

So there's that.

I don't know if I'd guess all. You know there will be a handful who claim they weren't greenlit and thus they don't owe you a key.

So there's that.

Thats the same reason I buy them.

Unless the dev thinks that people who bought the bundle should not get steam keys.

"We only promised keys, when they are greenlit. Since there is no Greenlight process anymore, we dont need to give you those keys!"

You will be more than fine.

i7 is probably in reference to the game being a multi-threaded process and will take advantage of the Hyperthreading that particular processor covers. Modern Intel CPUs, even the i5 varieties, are well beyond what is necessary for recent games.

I sound like an extremely broken record at this point, but recommended system requirements are always massively inflated by publishers due to liability reasons, and should always be treated as utter bullshit.

Thanks for the response. I'm a total PC gaming rookie right now so I'm just trying to cover all my bases.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't know if anyone's posted this yet but Spacebase DF-9 is on sale for $4.99 for a week.

Everytime I read something about SDF 9 I'm reminded to check the forums for some hilarious outrage.

Boycott games made by the same people in future?
Any way to find out just who works on games at DF or leads projects, other than Tim Schafer?
Is the demise of this game a good enough reason to make sure none of the people currently at that studio never get another penny?

Lately Steam has been failing at downloading things for me. Like it'll download 1-2 MB and then stop the download for every single update. Is there anything I can do?

Turfster

I don't know if anyone's posted this yet but Spacebase DF-9 is on sale for $4.99 for a week.
I think you missed a 1 there, or else Europe is really getting shafted. =p

It was 80% off for the soundtrack edition for a short while. I still didn't buy it ^^. They corrected it now; it's 40% off both.

Oh.

So what's with the sporadic thread title changes? Are the other mods picking on Stump again?

Korra release. So many releases this month that the thread title needs to stay on the ball!

Lomax

When they were mass Greenlighting stuff in the spring and summer, games were pretty often hitting these Groupees bundles and getting through within weeks. One bundle in particular I bought gave me four games that are already released on Steam (and mostly decent too). But they clearly made a massive shift in August and most of us just assume Greenlight is on its last legs, so I've been generally avoiding these bundles recently.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't know if I'd guess all. You know there will be a handful who claim they weren't greenlit and thus they don't owe you a key.

Good point. But for $1 and some change I'm not going to complain.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So what's with the sporadic thread title changes? Are the other mods picking on Stump again?
I'm pretty sure stump and zeliard have been waging war for a while. It's hard to watch because they are two of the best mods. Obviously we all root for stump tho because he supplies our drugs.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I didn't notice there's a Disney Racing Bundle with both Split/Second and Pure.

I know what I'll keep my eye out for on the next big sale.

louiedog

I'm pretty sure stump and zeliard have been waging war for a while. It's hard to watch because they are two of the best mods. Obviously we all root for stump tho because he supplies our drugs.

I assumed that modbot was generating titles as he learns the patterns of behavior and speech in this thread. That's what it looks like to me anyway.

So let me ask this, how do you get full screen with your games on STEAM? I have to use 1920 x 1080. Could I scale down and still be full screen?

I'm new to this.

1336x768 is my native resolution but the few times that a game launched on a smaller resolution than my monitor it upscaled it automatically (if it doesn't I guess you'll have to fiddle with your monitor's buttons and stuff). It doesn't look very good though so this isn't something I would seriously reccomend.

Turfster

Shit. 7511 results for games and DLC.
I thought I was halfway done by clicking through 1500 queue items combined with my 760 games.
Guess not!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So Space Engineers is having a free weekend, you can play the game free until Sunday. It's also on sale for 40% off.

Part of me wants to try it out because I think I'd love the game. Another part of me doesn't want to try it out because I think I'll love the game....

Well, that's Half Life 2 Episode One and Two finished for the first time.
Now I have to wait for Half LIfe 3 with the rest of you gals 'n' guys.

Really enjoyable games, Alyx has got to be one of the best gaming companions ever, I love her facial expressions(although, I love the facial expressions of everyone in HL2, they're incredibly well done, better than some games released nowadays)
Unfortunately I already had the ending spoiled for me by someone else, so I knew what was going to happen at the end :<

Lately Steam has been failing at downloading things for me. Like it'll download 1-2 MB and then stop the download for every single update. Is there anything I can do?

Cool now it's doing it for downloading games for the first time too. I even tried changing my region. Any ideas?

jshackles

Hey guys, I just got finished beefing up Enhanced Steam's servers.

Let me know if you find something that isn't working quite right
, or if you notice a difference in the loading speed of stuff like price history info.
Thanks!

When they were mass Greenlighting stuff in the spring and summer, games were pretty often hitting these Groupees bundles and getting through within weeks. One bundle in particular I bought gave me four games that are already released on Steam (and mostly decent too). But they clearly made a massive shift in August and most of us just assume Greenlight is on its last legs, so I've been generally avoiding these bundles recently.

Yeah, I know the earlier ones were better in this regard. BAGB 5 was the earliest one I bought, and had five games Greenlit. The last two I bought had a grand total of 2 Greenlit games between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom