• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Stick the main account into offline mode if you are not doing anything online.

Yeah, I did this last night and tonight as I was playing CS:S via LAN and didn't want to get in Enco's way.

They fixed that I think.

He means the account owner should use Offline Mode so they can play games without getting in the way of the secondary user.

Arthea

Those numbers are are miniscule, if compared to steam userbase, though. And that proves a point that different people like different things more than anything. I wish there were such statistics available for consoles too, for science.

Kaleinc

Banned
But you can different game, that's on different disc. Pretty sure this is true for every console out there.

That doesn't make sense. I'm trying to play FF13, she's playing Skyrim. Once I launch FF, Skyrim stops working on her end. With PS2 games, we could easily share games like that.
In a perfect world one person would buy games and share them with not only Enco but every human being.
lol
Valve making $1k annually.

Jørdan

Thanks for the link, I finally succumbed and accepted Pixelvison into my life - the default skin post update was really bugging me. I liked the client before and liked the blue afterwards but just having the top blue and fade into gray makes it look like shit. Was hoping they would go the whole way and have a blue client skin yet I've been left disappointed. I'll see how this one fares, not many currently updated to choose from and a bunch of them are eh..an acquired taste.

Y'know, I'd love to be privy to how large Valve's cash reserve is. It'd have to be utterly ridiculous at this point -- I recall Gabe saying a few years ago that the company was more profitable per employee than Apple.

Wouldn't mind a peek myself, their warchest must be one of the largest in the industry and more importantly not tied to shareholders.

JaseC

Jørdan;133910072 said:
Thanks for the link, I finally succumbed and accepted Pixelvison into my life - the default skin post update was really bugging me. I liked the client before and liked the blue afterwards but just having the top blue and fade into gray makes it look like shit. Was hoping they would go the whole way and have a blue client skin yet I've been left disappointed. I'll see how this one fares, not many currently updated to choose from and a bunch of them are eh..an acquired taste.

I actually like the new default skin, but PixelVision is the one and only custom skin I've ever used, and as the old adage goes, old habits die hard. ;)

Tizoc

OK so now that I've moved my games to the new hard disk using steam mover, how do I make steam read the game from the NEW hard disk? When I check the game's old directory files they show up as a shortcut, but the shortcut leads to the original directory instead of the new HDD.

Anybody? I want to delete the original files from my respective D and F drives to have the games run from the new external harddrive I got.

Jørdan

I actually like the new default skin, but PixelVision is the one and only custom skin I've ever used, and as the old adage goes, old habits die hard. ;)

I want to like it, just when my eyes lower from the top bar my eyes start to twitch and I wince. It just feels off as if there is something out of place. I still think it the best in all but the weird blue grey shenanigans.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's no consumer law in the world that requires a company to honor a legitimate mistake. While it seems unlikely they'd be revoked, it's certainly possible. All consumer law would require them to do is "refund" what you spent.

It's even more simple--consumer protection laws are an extension of contract law. The first premise of contract law is "there's no contract without consideration". Consideration is the legal word for money or in-kind offerings. A contract where one side offers nothing in exchange for the good or service is not a contract.

Here's proof: imagine you pay a guy to fix your roof. He takes your money and leaves. Can you sue him? Yes. Okay, now imagine you ask a friend to fix your roof for free. He says yes but doesn't show up. Can you sue him? For what? What contract did he break? Was there a contract?

JaseC

Anybody? I want to delete the original files from my respective D and F drives to have the games run from the new external harddrive I got.

The shortcut is supposed to lead to the original location. Steam Mover uses symbolic links, which basically means that Steam looks to the same directory it always has but is unknowingly rerouted to the new location. You can test this for yourself: create a shortcut and run it.

derExperte

Apparently I'm less cynic, but I have the feeling that the people here have either a sense of honor or at least a sense of not doing such things in the same forum, as if nobody would see it..

Do you really think I didn't get that cheap Titanfall key? Sold it off for a huge profit a long time ago.

No key, no further replies, fuck buecher.de.

Nzyme32

Steam numbers are insane right now

jn1W4kZ.png

Dota 2 is nearing 1 million concurrent with Counter Strke: GO nearing 250,000. TF2 at 100,000 and Civ V, Garry's Mod, Skyrim, and Football Manager at 50k.

Finally we have the original Counter Strike, newest AAA in Mordor, and free weekend Space Engineers at around 30k.

Final Fantasy XIII has around 10,000.

Pretty decent for a Friday. Amazing to see how these games just seem to keep growing in user numbers along with some great new entries.

Anyway completely changing the subject - what happened to the Tetris Aniversary game that was meant to hit pretty much every platform?

You know Corridor Simulator 2014 ain't half bad.

It's also got some 'action' scenes in case you doze off pressing up all the time.

More seriously 9 hours and I'm still not done with Chapter 3!

4 hours and a half here, please don't tell me that, lol. I was wondering when the hell I was going to get out of that place to somewhere else.

I guess this game moves at a snail pace, right? And then extends itself for another two games...

Maniac

Banned
Hard to say. My gut feeling would be "no" since when Steam downloads encrypted pre-load data it downloads the individual depot archives, although that being said, when you decrypt a game on Steam it updates any files that were modified since the pre-load completed, which is largely why decryption times vary from user to user (if the client didn't do this you'd just be forced to download an update upon clicking "Play").

Anywho, the Ryse patch that was pushed out several hours ago is just 1.7MB in actuality:

rysewqkhx.jpg

Jase, why is your Steam so fucking beautiful?

It's like, the good parts of nu-Steam without the awful ones.

GIVE IT TO ME.

PS: Do we have a Steam-name-list-thing around? I could do with some interesting, half-intelligent people on my friendslist.

And most GAFers fit that bill. (If not wholly intelligent!)
... Dude.

... Same here. (Although her nose looks Sarah Horse Parker-esque in that picture, which is deeply disturbing.)

JaseC

Jase, why is your Steam so fucking beautiful?

It's like, the good parts of nu-Steam without the awful ones.

GIVE IT TO ME.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914848

Edit: The "Console" tab is optional and isn't part of the skin, just to be super-duper clear. It's there because I have "-console" appended to my Steam shortcut's target line.

PS: Do we have a Steam-name-list-thing around? I could do with some interesting, half-intelligent people on my friendslist.

And most GAFers fit that bill. (If not wholly intelligent!)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847718 I don't think I'm on the list, though, so here's my profile.

Dr Dogg

Rhaknar is like the Brad Shoemaker of SteamGAF

This is tempting me more to watch now.

Have you play Butt Simulator?

I'm trying to work out what ludicrous game that could possibility be.

So guys, what's your thoughts on this headphones?

Some where Grief is experiencing a nervous twitch. But $575!?!?!?

4 hours and a half here, please don't tell me that, lol. I was wondering when the hell I was going to get out of that place to somewhere else.

I guess this game moves at a snail pace, right? And then extends itself for another two games...

To be fair I'm taking my sweet time and taking pictures every foot. I should be on Chapter 7 by now realistically.

Arthea

You know Corridor Simulator 2014 ain't half bad.

It's also got some 'action' scenes in case you doze off pressing up all the time.

More seriously 9 hours and I'm still not done with Chapter 3!

you are taking your time, though, clearly!

I remember from fist time around, that until 5th chapter I wasn't having much fun, it's pretty yes, but that is all, I'm not entirely sure why we are given semblance of control at all until 3rd chapter, as well it could have been a movie (><)
While starting from 5th chapter we already can do cool things with combat, so it gets much more fun to play.

Enco

Alien Isolation is so intense.

Whenever I watch horror movies I think 'man I could totally survive'. Now I see the real world. I would die instantly.

Never been big into horror games but this is really cool.

I was sneaking around then noticed some drool coming from a vent. I backed up and noticed that my sensor was showing something up. felt good noticing that.

Arthea

So guys, what's your thoughts on this headphones?

https://images.indiegogo.com/file_attachments/920704/files/20141010152224-Headphones_info2.jpg?1412979744[/IMG

[IMG]https://images.indiegogo.com/file_attachments/914512/files/20141008083203-combo.jpg?1412782323[/IMG[/QUOTE]

you aren't serious, or are you?

JaseC

Alien Isolation is so intense.

Whenever I watch horror movies I think 'man I could totally survive'. Now I see the real world. I would die instantly.

Never been big into horror games but this is really cool.

I was sneaking around then noticed some drool coming from a vent. I backed up and noticed that my sensor was showing something up. felt good noticing that.

Do you like stealth games? Styx is legit. Re: Alien: I'll probably never play it because jump scares are frustratingly effective on me.

Grief.exe

I have to wonder how much longer TF2 will last. Personally I dropped the game a few years ago.

It's remained relatively consistent YoY (Steam Graph doesn't yet have the data for today's peak of 93k):

tf201s6j.jpg

If you look at the average day to day users of TF2, they have been consistently going up each year as Steam has grown in total users at almost a linear scale. In 2012 around 70k average, then 80k in 2013, and 90k in 2014. On top of very consistent numbers throughout the whole year as Jase already pointed out.

Looks like TF2 will be around a while.

egiPWax.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom