• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Someone posted this on steamgifts.com:
1.png

Already got all of my cards so im good

Dr Dogg

Here is a hint

Ah ha! Well was one of my favorite games late year and this year too!

you are taking your time, though, clearly!

I remember from fist time around, that until 5th chapter I wasn't having much fun, it's pretty yes, but that is all, I'm not entirely sure why we are given semblance of control at all until 3rd chapter, as well it could have been a movie (><)
While starting from 5th chapter we already can do cool things with combat, so it gets much more fun to play.

I'm not taking an age because it's slow, I'm dawdling because I'm taking screenshots of everything! Seriously i have sbout 500+ already!

At the moment Alien Isolation is my favourite game of the year so far, i'll be mad if it doesn't win SteamGAF's GOTY 2014

And in no way is the GOTY awards going to be rigged ;)

Funnily all my favorite games this year have been late ports. I'm just stuck in the past.

Hey, guys, I'm saving up for some new computer parts. Was curious if I should get a WD Red or Black drive. Steam collection doesn't even come close to fitting on my 2TB.

Depends. If you're getting 1tb drives, neither go for Blues as they're cheaper, quieter and just as fast. Blacks are really only worth it if you want the 2 years extra warrenty in my opinion. Though now I have an all SSD system for my gaming and media PC I don't think I could go back to mechanical drives, even if they are 5-6 times the price.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I actually want a 6TB, and there are no 6TB Blacks.

Is there a reason why you want a 6TB drive in particular? 4TB occupies the upper level of what can be considered a reasonable gig:dollar ratio -- for the price of a 6TB drive you could almost buy two 4TBs and RAID them.

Maniac

Banned
If you want the cards, use Idlemaster or SAM lol.
Ooooh. Ooookay. I didn't know Idlemaster worked for games you didn't have installed. Holy crap, based J-Shacks!... I have no idea what SAM is though. Other than the missile system, lol
The latest page in the B/S/T thread, for example...

Yeah it ticks me off. But whatever, I guess I don't have to buy from 'em. Doesn't make it acceptable though.
Much like what's going on with AMD gold codes. I was offered a Star Citizen one for $28. And it was 'super cheap', I dunno. Compared to the original price of 33 cents... Eh.
this rhaknar stream is amazing
Heyll yir. It's the shizz. Rhak literally pro esports gamer!
Yeah, I did this last night and tonight as I was playing CS:S via LAN and didn't want to get in Enco's way.
You are almost too nice.
Almost. ;)
Edit: The "Console" tab is optional and isn't part of the skin, just to be super-duper clear. It's there because I have "-console" appended to my Steam shortcut's target line.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847718 I don't think I'm on the list, though, so here's my profile.
Thank-ah-yoo! I'll make sure to harass you on there and / or add you a bit later. Whatever. And cheers, I've only ever used... Air, I think it's called? Been a while though.
And uh, what the heck can you do with the console, then? :eek:
Do you like stealth games? Styx is legit. Re: Alien: I'll probably never play it because jump scares are frustratingly effective on me.
There aren't really that many of them. It's mostly the atmosphere and the intense fear of being caught, heh.
Seriously though, the lighting, the graphics and audio-design is just... Incredible in Alien: Isolation, imo. Really surprised how good it is. You should give it a try at some point, just... Don't do it with an Oculus Rift. That's terrifying beyond belief.

gngf123

You guys are making me sad that all I have are a pair of Panasonic RP-HTF890-S's. Good headphones for the money, like an AD-700 on a tight budget. They are no LCD-2's though.

One day I'll throw a lot of money at a really good pair.

Kiru

Already got all of my cards so im good

The dream is dead.

Maybe he is trolling though, I mean they revoked the key pretty fast, no ?

Ooooh. Ooookay. I didn't know Idlemaster worked for games you didn't have installed. Holy crap, based J-Shacks!... I have no idea what SAM is though. Other than the missile system, lol

Steam Achievement Manager
You don't need to use the aspect of manipulating steam achievements, just enter the steam app id and you can make Steam believe you are playing the game. Saves bandwidth, Idlemaster does the same.

JDHarbs

Reposting. If the key is a dupe or its gets revoked then please let me know. I have a backup gift. Sorry again :(
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JDHarbs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition -- MB-AEE0499AF124BA9A - Taken by Phawx. 65 entrants total.

t1413070373z1.png

Trejik

Long time no post on SteamGAF. Still lurk everyday, obviously.

Jumping in on the headphone talk, I need to replace my HD 201. I was thinking of the HD 598s, since Amazon Spain has them discounted to 150. Anyone here got opinions on them? I read on a forum that they're not too good on the bleeding, and I really hate headphones where other people in the house hear my stuff when I'm working.

Maniac

Banned
Maybe he is trolling though, I mean they revoked the key pretty fast, no ?

Steam Achievement Manager
You don't need to use the aspect of manipulating steam achievements, just enter the steam app id and you can make Steam believe you are playing the game. Saves bandwidth, Idlemaster does the same.
Interesting. Thanks. I might just consider using it for the games I can't be bothered with 'chieve-wise. I'd feel dirty using it for legitimately good games, though. :p

to be fair, FF13-2 starts briskly and keeps being brisk, you have sidequests, minigames, talks with NPC, exploring and all that stuff, even puzzles. Then you arrive to Academia 400AF ... *shudders*

Now that sounds scary!

Glad I'm playing this with japanese audio. At the very least, most of the awkward stuff makes sense if you put japanese weirdness into it. Now I'm understanding the "numbers everywhere" comment I read years ago. Unleashing an attack is like the star waterfall of Crimzon Clover.

Japan loves counters and numbers.

For the price I paid, despite this being a lulztastic port with no resolution options, I think I got my money's worth already. But I think I may be going back to my adventures at Eleum Loyce (definitely one of my favourite areas along with Shulva) in Dark Souls 2, fighting out invaders and calling the blue police on them, this time with GeDoSaTo on.

JaseC

Thank-ah-yoo! I'll make sure to harass you on there and / or add you a bit later. Whatever. And cheers, I've only ever used... Air, I think it's called? Been a while though.
And uh, what the heck can you do with the console, then? :eek:

It's come in handy.... exactly twice!

Seriously though, the lighting, the graphics and audio-design is just... Incredible in Alien: Isolation, imo. Really surprised how good it is. You should give it a try at some point, just... Don't do it with an Oculus Rift. That's terrifying beyond belief.

No promises. ;)

Grief.exe

Thanks a lot, looks like the Superlux is in my price range. Would you recommend the Zalman ZMMIC1 Lapel Microphone? It's in the "Frequently Bought Together with this item" on Amazon with the Superlux.

They aren't that great. Currently, the best on the market is a mod mic, but your budget may be a bit tight for that. Look for little desktop microphones or webcams and grab something, I've always wondered how something like this mini condenser would work.

The old recommendation used to be a logitech desktop microphone which delivered phenomenal quality for the price, but they stopped making them. I believe I bought mine for $2.50 shipped and still works perfectly.

EDIT: Just found this little guy, don't know if it is good or not. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QSSUK2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seriously, it's been a fantastic year for games, especially on PC. I just about burst out laughing when that guy posted yesterday that the only good game on PC this year was the new Civ game, until I realized he was serious.

I can't believe I forgot Civ in my little post! I was meaning to list that too.

Aww man the Audeze LCD-2 are my dream headphones ;_; but I'm too poor so I'm trying to save up for HE-400 to replace my AKG 240s.

Something about those aesthetics just draws me in, let alone the best of all time audio quality.

And in no way is the GOTY awards going to be rigged ;)

You explain to me how Bioshock Infinite almost won last year.

Jumping in on the headphone talk, I need to replace my HD 201. I was thinking of the HD 598s, since Amazon Spain has them discounted to 150. Anyone here got opinions on them? I read on a forum that they're not too good on the bleeding, and I really hate headphones where other people in the house hear my stuff when I'm working.

Open headphones are always going to bleed noise, but are great for gaming due to the separation the wider soundstage provides.

rtcn63

If it's an open-backed headphone, it will bleed noise. They probably won't be able to hear it in the next room though, unless you yourself are already near deaf.

The consistency from headphone to headphone with LCD's is reportedly pretty horrendous. You might get a greatish one, you might get shit for your dollar.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Turf keeps tempting me to buy Styx, isnt that illegal?

But if I did I could stream it hmmm...

Mokoi

Banned
edit: quality wise did it hold up? my goofy voice aside? if so, thats by far the best part of this new rig, and I didnt even think about it
Well my inferior human eyes thought it looked quite good, and you have the voice of a god. I could see all them low res textures/bad art design, and hear the terrible sound design the game has. I shall be returning to your next stream if possible.

Funnily all my favorite games this year have been late ports. I'm just stuck in the past.

Heh, my hands down game of the year is METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Well my inferior human eyes thought it looked quite good, and you have the voice of a god. I could see all them low res textures/bad art design, and hear the terrible sound design the game has. I shall be returning to your next stream if possible.

voice of a god xD trolololol

Phinor

It's been such a banner year for games that it will be tough for anything. Dark Souls II, Transistor, Divinity, Banished, Shovel Knight, Wolfenstein, Wasteland 2, Alien, TEW, Civilization, Binding of Isaac, with more to come and more that I assuredly forgot.

It's such a crazy year that I don't have time to get hyped for upcoming games. Legend of Grimrock 2 is coming next Wednesday and while it's easily one of my most anticipated games of the year, I haven't had time to look into that game at all.

Best of all, quality games in almost every genre.

Anyone know if they do this up to 3 months after transaction? Paypal should look after you until then?

Picked up a tonne of russian stuff recently.

The key revoked was a "free" key from a bug in a digital store, not a traded key.
I wouldn't buy keys from people I don't know though, if they get revoked you can't get anything back. Trading tf2 keys for tradable gifts is different, because Valve can reverse the trade and you get your keys back.

JaseC

Anyone know if they do this up to 3 months after transaction? Paypal should look after you until then?

Picked up a tonne of russian stuff recently.

Valve will revoke access whenever there's a chargeback. The cut-off point ultimately depends on the bank in question. This is why it's recommended to buy games with TF2/CS:GO/Dota 2 keys unless you have a trader you can trust as in the event of a chargeback you can have your items returned to you -- there's an inherent safety net, whereas if you paid via PayPal you'd be at the mercy of eBay's historically awful customer service.

dani_dc

There was a price mistake in the United Kingdom where some shop "sold" Dead Rising 3 for 0 British Pound.

Not like they can reuse the code for sale, should had just let people kept it and eat the loss (which I'm guessing they will do either way).

Trejik

Open headphones are always going to bleed noise, but are great for gaming due to the separation the wider soundstage provides.

If it's an open-backed headphone, it will bleed noise. They probably won't be able to hear it in the next room though, unless you yourself are already near deaf.

The consistency from headphone to headphone with LCD's is reportedly pretty horrendous. You might get a greatish one, you might get shit for your dollar.

Any recommendations in that price range? The issue is I work both in audio production and would also want them for gaming. The HD 598s are supposed to just be overall great for that price, but I always prefer to see all options.

By the way, HD 201's are essentially fantastic for any audio work because they're super neutral. Maybe they actually lack bass, but when it comes to mixing, a fantastic 20 bucks for a lowest common denominator type of situation.

Is Styx the first T rated game to say fuck? I wonder if there is going to be a Oblivion scenario where it gets switched around, ERSB descriptor doesn't even say "Strong language"

I don't care about cursing of course, but rating systems are interesting.

Maniac

Banned
It's come in handy.... exactly twice!
No promises. ;)
Interesting. I might just enable it for shits and giggles. And science.

And fair enough, man. I pre-purchased Amnesia, but it took me over a year post-launch to muster up the courage to play more than five minutes.
I've still not completed it.
Outlast... Now, that I could finish. Because it wasn't as fucking scary in the same way. Still damned scary though. This? This is terrifying in a whole other way. A much betteer way. I hope you'll have tried it within a few years :p
Oh and I added you to that there Steamy bits.
Turf keeps tempting me to buy Styx, isnt that illegal?
But if I did I could stream it hmmm...
Nah, it's legal. If you have a sexy-license. So Turf is in the green.

DO IT. DO IT. For science. (I don't have the game, but it actually does look surprisingly good, despite not being a fan of Spiders Software's past stuff)
It's true.

There really is a bunch of great games in each genre, and this makes me very happy.
I can't remember the last time it'd felt this good being a PC gamer. G-sync, lightboost everywhere, downsampling, Durante and great-ass friggin' games coming to the platform, and some lovely console ports and whatnot.
And ofcourse the thing you said with every sodding genre having great games coming out this year.

madjoki

Someone posted this on steamgifts.com:
1.png

Maybe it's just trolling. We are talking about three-way (Gamesplaanet->Capcom->Valve) communication required and it's weekend, so it sounds way too fast. That and text is misaligned.

But there's still good chance that it gets revoked.

rtcn63

Any recommendations in that price range? The issue is I work both in audio production and would also want them for gaming. The HD 598s are supposed to just be overall great for that price, but I always prefer to see all options.

By the way, HD 201's are essentially fantastic for any audio work because they're super neutral. Maybe they actually lack bass, but when it comes to mixing, a fantastic 20 bucks for a lowest common denominator type of situation.

In that price range, you're gonna be pretty limited. Something like an Audio Technica ATH-M50. ( http://www.changstar.com/index.php?topic=46.0 ) Sennheisers go for cheap in Europe, but the HD580/600 are open-backed. I'd take one of those instead, if possible.

Grief.exe

If you want extremely neutral, check out the K701/K702 line from AKG. I have the opposing Q701, which has a warmer sound with stronger mid-range and bass, but they are all extremely similar. I also don't think they have very much leakage.

Otherwise, check out some closed offerings. I really don't have too much exposure to that range as I generally deal in open headphones, but the M50s are always recommended as well as Beyerdynamic's offerings 770 (closed)/880 (semi-open), and the the 990 (open).

EDIT: Just listened to Kavinsky - Nightcall and put the headphones on my dog's back. I could hear the song pretty clearly, the Q/K700 line has too much sound leakage for your purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom