• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of miss the games too, now that I think of it. Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban, on PS2 and GBA used to be some of my favorite games

The first three games on the GC (I'm not sure how different they are from the PS2 versions since the different consoles had different versions of the games) were great, replayed all three multiple times. Everything after ranged from "okay" to "terrible dogshit."

Milamber

I've been out in the real world celebrating Eid for the past 2 days, also replaying Fallout NV for the umpteenth time.

What did I miss?

Shadownet

Banned
I've been out in the real world celebrating Eid for the past 2 days, also replaying Fallout NV for the umpteenth time.

What did I miss?

The Paradox Platinum Pack had a price error in Indonesia I think? It was like 5 cents.

I don't think anything else happened that was big.

Elija2

Diva is just misunderstood, thought it was weird that only those three showed up when I have a full village but oh well. I remember when on your birthday in the original game you'd get actual full nes games to play. Crazy looking back.

Yeah, that was before they realized they could sell NES roms separately.

wilflare

Same. I'm barely at the first set of
warchiefs
and in just wasting time enjoying the combat, exploring, and doing side quests.

And I still have Alien and The Evil Within to beat, but TEW I'm sure to finish quickly.

it's insane that they finished + ALL THE ACHIEVEMENTS UNLOCKED?!

Quick impressions for Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten:

I put 4 hours into it, rather than waiting until I'm done (because this appears to be lengthy) so I won't get too extensive with my review. That said:

This is a tower defense RPG. You heard me. You play the Royal Librarian (default name Azra) who, after contracting the plague, has the ability to straddle the worlds of life and death and destroy the bodies of the ex-plague victims (Revenants) once and for all. Along the way she meets six characters, each representative of a recruitable class. The RPG part comes in where you can buy weapons and armour for these characters and have them level up with experience, but also boost them to higher levels during the battles (oh, and in case you're wondering, the tower is you yourself.) You can recruit as many more people as you like with your acquired scrap (money,) but you get achievements if you just use the main characters. Speaking of achievements, this seems to be one of the few games that not only doesn't penalize you if you make it easy on yourself in the options, but encourages it! And with that, I seriously recommend going with the 300% experience boost with no penalties for failures. Otherwise it could feel grindy.

Graphics-wise, keep in mind I first played a demo of this game on Kongregate several years ago, so don't expect much in that department. Music is good but you probably won't notice it too much as you try to keep up with the pace of the game...or maybe that's just me cause I set it to 4x speed. Gameplay is solid, difficulty is up to you: you can choose from four difficulty levels per scenario and go back to play the harder ones later. If you play through on "normal" you'll actually find it easy to challenging.

Best part: getting the Facebook reward anyway after repeatedly refusing to like them on Facebook!

Worst part: Some achievements don't show progress until you're totally done.

The verdict: Well let's put it this way: 98% of the over 1,000 reviews were positive AND it's got a recommendation from the IndieGAF Curator. It also has a free demo, so if you don't want to take my word for it that it's very good even if you're not a big tower defense fan (and I'm not,) then play for yourself and see!

Skyzard

Banned
Same. I'm barely at the first set of
warchiefs
and in just wasting time enjoying the combat, exploring, and doing side quests.

And I still have Alien and The Evil Within to beat, but TEW I'm sure to finish quickly.

Yep, I'm about at the same place at 10hours. Enjoying the game, taking my time, although I'd like to get branding soon.

What's the rush?

I try not get my full of a game but also, that's a lot of hours in orcland.

MattyG

Banned
Does the Hotline Miami DLC in Payday 2 use the HM's soundtrack? I just booted it up again and damn, that music is good.

MattyG

Banned
Just spoiled a couple small things about Hotline Miami 2 for myself. Goddamn, this game's gonna be good. Any estimate on when it's releasing?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
can anybody who has played Child of Light recommend it?

Trying to decide whether to buy it or hold on to my steam wallet for Korra

I wrote this in a previous thread:
I had intended to play this game around release due to my love for Ubisoft's two experiments last year (Blood Dragon and Gunslinger), but Dark Souls II took precedence and I didn't buy it till this summer sale. Basically the game is a fairytale story with kinda-sorta JRPG mechanics in a watercolor painted 2D world and it all comes together phenomenally well. The story follows a lot of basically fairy tale archetypes, but it's told in ballad form and has some very pleasant character development. I'm not a fan of poetry, but I thought the writing format worked well for the tone of the game and the creativity made up for the lack of spoken dialogue. I thought the party interaction after each new character joined your group was a nice touch as well. The battle system is built around a timer and you have various tools to mess with the timer or the enemy attack time. Ubisoft wisely included a built-in battle speed option which made my timer management a little bit easier and they also make it pretty easy to avoid battles if you wish (this is nice when going back to an area to explore a bit) . The only real issue I had with the combat in the game was the battle music. It felt like there was only one variant for the whole game and it gets pretty tiresome. I think each zone should have had a unique variation of it. The art is some truly incredible work. The water color style looks magnificent and each new area you enter is a real treat. I would definitely rank it at the top of the UbiArt pile over both Rayman and Valiant Hearts.

Overall: I love pretty much everything about the game. It might have been a touch too long, but I didn't mind. I definitely recommend picking this up even if you aren't a JRPG battle style fan, I wasn't either and this game won me over.

Got all the Achievements in Shadows of Mordor. That level 25 Rune one was a pain in the ass because I kept getting Epic Runes, ended up killing like 8 War Chiefs & 15 Captains.

Grief.exe

I'm sitting in my room, watching FFXIII trailers - being hyped for thursday. What's wrong with me?

I'm hyped for finally trying the game outn I hope it's an excellent port.

The first three games on the GC (I'm not sure how different they are from the PS2 versions since the different consoles had different versions of the games) were great, replayed all three multiple times. Everything after ranged from "okay" to "terrible dogshit."

That part always freaked me out in the movie. And now I want to read Harry Potter again, dammit. I kind of miss the games too, now that I think of it. Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban, on PS2 and GBA used to be some of my favorite games

You guys should check out the Sorcerer's Stone on GBC, it is quite good. One of the original devs popped into this thread for some background.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=743011

MattyG

Banned
You guys should check out the Sorcerer's Stone on GBC, it is quite good. One of the original devs popped into this thread for some background.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=743011
I didn't even know the GBC ones were RPGs. Definitely gonna check it out now.

And that GBC Prisoner of Azkaban screen in the OP of that thread just brought back so many memories. This is going to sound like I'm making it up, but I kid you not, no exaggeration, I finished that game 30+ times. I bought it day 1 (I was probably 10 or 11 I think?) and back then when I liked a game I played it over, and over, and over, and OVER. You got a Nimbus 3000 at the end of the game, and there was no point to it as far as I remember, but it carried over and stacked in your next playthrough so it basically was a way to keep track of what number playthrough you were on. Last I remember I had 35 or 36 of them. And I think levels and stats carried over too, so I could've played that game in my sleep once I had all the characters maxed out. I really miss that game, gonna have to find a copy sometime and give it a whirl one more time
or 35.

donny2112

Looking forward to Costume Quest 2 but will probably get it on Wii U for portableness (in-house) and DDP. Hope it does, in fact, make it out this month on that system. :p

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
SalsaShark said:
I spoke to xelios like a month ago. He's doing fine,

I was on general internet/forum/Steam blackout for a good while for legitimate reasons, but things are back to normal enough now that I'm no longer in hiding. I own up to and apologize to all the applicable people for my failure in communication during that time. It's good to see the Steam threads are healthier than ever.

Shadownet

Banned
Tempered. I really have no idea what to expect.
I still don't fully understand the entire story myself, they throw a bunch of made up words at you, some standard jrpg story and expect you to understand it all.

I guess just think about the worst JRPG you ever played, go into FFXIII with the same expectation and I promise you can only come out feeling like it's a bit better than what you thought, if not more.

what i can really say is, if you go in expecting the worst and so forth, you will get that. goes with most things
Well that's not true. When Iron Man came out, I thought it was so dumb that they were going to make a movie about a superhero with no super powers whatsoever. Now mind you I was still young and now that I thought about it. I basically described Batman, whom I love. Soooo that was some dumb thought process on my part.

Anyway, I went in to see Iron Man with the lowest of expectation, and came out completely mindblown. Granted the movie being excellent did help, but I think having low expectation can only do you good.

iosefe

Well that's not true. When Iron Man came out, I thought it was so dumb that they were going to make a movie about a superhero with no super powers whatsoever. Now mind you I was still young and now that I thought about it. I basically described Batman, whom I love. Soooo that was some dumb thought process on my part.

Anyway, I went in to see Iron Man with the lowest of expectation, and came out completely mindblown. Granted the movie being excellent did help, but I think having low expectation can only do you good.

i guess many things? but in this case, i would say it counts.

I went into Iron Man with High expectations. i was pleased

Skyzard

Banned
So there's a guy selling Dying Light for just upwards of $20.

I know some people are not buying it because of the crazy decision to make the pvp multiplayer mode exclusive to preoders.

But $22?

Is there a chance that I buy it, add it to my library then when the game is out it becomes Russian language or region-locked for online?

I was on general internet/forum/Steam blackout for a good while for legitimate reasons, but things are back to normal enough now that I'm no longer in hiding. I own up to and apologize to all the applicable people for my failure in communication during that time. It's good to see the Steam threads are healthier than ever.

I'm glad to hear things are better for you :)

madjoki

I know some people are not buying it because of the crazy decision to make the pvp multiplayer mode exclusive to preoders.

But $22?

Is there a chance that I buy it, add it to my library then when the game is out it becomes Russian language or region-locked for online?

Yes, as it has RU-tag.

-MD-

But $22?

If you redeem it and add to your library you should be fine. I've yet to have a russian copy of a game get locked after I already added it to my account.

Skyzard

Banned
Speaking to the buyer he mentions that they may run a onlyallowrunincountries flag and I wouldn't be able to launch it.

Success, got my last Bing reward coming in to my email in the next few hours. Time to head to Gamestop and scan all 4 of these $5 Bing gift cards.

The Evil Within, here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom